What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what is the hottest chilli pepper?

puffin fresh

ICMag Donor
Scotch Bonnet is around 100,000-300,000 SHU, Red Savina is another good one....bred from the habanero in California from memory it has measured up to 577,000 SHU. The fatali also tastes very nice too with some serious spicy flavours there under the heat.

Wait....what.......i'm still waiting on the rocoto varieties too......maybe this year......but I dont mind.

maryjohn

Veteran
Please dontbuse them on your friends. I've read it can require medical attention

here is a fun trick. Remove all the placental material from a hot pepper ahead of time. Then eat it in front of your friends. It won't be hot. But the one you give them will be intact, and you just laugh and laugh.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
im growin sum peppers at the moment sum habanero, cayan, an jalapeno peppers growing at the moment nothin serious like 3 plants each .... but anyways i thought the ghost pepper was the hottest or at least thats what i heard not sure just my:2cents:

cheeeers midwesthighs

Bleubeard

Been a long time lurker on icmag. Finally a thread that I may have some viable input on.

I believe that the bhuts/nagas/jolokias are the current record holders, they are different but similar. Watch out for the PC-1 jolokia, thats not the one you want to get. I grew a bhut jolokia (seeds from the new mexico university chilie pepper institute)in a 5gal DWC last year. Only got one pepper off of it, was my first time trying hydroponics. Heres a pic of the pepper.
IMG_0021.JPG

However, the up and comers over the past few years seem to be the Trinidad varieties such as the trinidad scorpion and the "7 pot" (one chilli to spice 7 pots of stew).
For seeds check out http://thehippyseedcompany.com/ this guy is pretty reputable amongst chilli growers and he has videos of him tasting/reviewing the different varieties.

U

unthing

Last summer they were selling naga morich here in supermarkets, dunno what's coming this year..up and growing scene of chili-enthusiasts

M

mrred

habaneros are the hottest, i watch a show on pbs that was all about peppers for medical use and the scientists in the lab always use the habanero because it has the most capsaicin, which is the only hot part

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
habaneros are the hottest, i watch a show on pbs that was all about peppers for medical use and the scientists in the lab always use the habanero because it has the most capsaicin, which is the only hot part
were the hottest. there have been a few records broken in the last couple of years, bumping the habanero down on the list. not that i think it really matters, as its still pretty effing hot.

ehonda187

I am currently Germinating some Bhut Jolokia ( Naga Jolokia) seeds on the mat as we speak....

Habenero Pepper Comes in around 300,000 units tops on the scoville scale.

Bhut Comes in at over 1.1 MILLION scoville units... :joint: