What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what is the hottest chilli pepper?

daddy fingaz

mmm i love chillis!

Ive got some lovely bhut naga & tomato preserve, hot but not toohot !

but yeah the dorset naga is the hottest, bred by some crazy old couple down there!!

dreadvik

Think I shall stick with my jalepenos for now :) Any idea what black blotches on them might be? They took a tumble recently thanks to a cat with a now very short life expectancy ;)

baet

"On the Scoville rating deal, habanero chili come in at around 325,000 units. The Red Savina chili comes in at around 500,000 and the Bhut Jolokia comes in at over 1,000,000 Scoville units.

For comparisons a Jalapeno comes in at 2,500 units."

fvck and i thought i was pretty resiliant to spicyness being able to take big bites out of jalapenos at the tacotrucks without hesitation, amazing flavor once you can handle the heat.
just watched man vs. food, and he had to eat ten sushi hand rolls, tenth roll was thehottest, and it had a red thai pepper cut up into the spicy tuna. the 8th roll had habanero in it cut up.

baet

^^^^ hahahahahah that youtube video is great

it start with him holding a whole pepper, and im getting ready for him to pull out a knife and cut a little piece off of it, he pops the whole thing in his mouth and starts chewing! ballsy

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Black Twilight (Numex Twilight x Hungarian Black) [fritillary seed collective 2008]

picture.php

,, this small average hot pepper has tricked many people into thinking the purple fruits look more innocent than they are. Estimated between 50,000 - 100,000 scoville units (approx)... slightly hotter than a Birdseye chilli,, but not quite as hot as a habanero :bandit:

Crossing your own varieties together is easy and fun,, but it takes a few seasons to stabilize the new strain. Some varieties can be cut back in autumn and kept over winter indoors as bi-annuals. The following season they give another healthy return of fruits :D

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Bhut Jolokia is actually being researched by the the US Army, in the quest for non lethal warfare.

Stay Safe

E

EvilTwin

Jo Jo,
Nobody commented on this, and I don't know you or your friends...but feeding a stoned buddy some of the hottest peppers on the planet isn't really a very funny prank. Someone did that to me and I'd kick his ass...friend or not.
Just my opinion,
ET

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
site says the pure cap extract is only 500k scoville....
According to a chart based on the book titled The Pepper Encyclopedia by Dave De Witt, pure Capsaicin comes in at 16,000,000.

As a basis of comparison, police-grade pepper spray comes in at 5,300,000 and the chili pepper, Bhut Jolokia, comes in at 1,001,304

HTH

CC

Pot Pimp

On the Scoville rating deal, habanero chili come in at around 325,000 units. The Red Savina chili comes in at around 500,000 and the Bhut Jolokia comes in at over 1,000,000 Scoville units.
HTH

CC
Geeze Louize!!!! I knew there was one (or two) hotter than the habanero but I didn't realize there was one THREE TIMES hotter!! OMG, that is mind boggling. I ate a habanero once; didn't know what it was at the time, only that I had found the answer to mystery of spontaneous human combustion. I farted the next day and set my pants on fire.

G

GR8shoeBaDizzle

Geeze Louize!!!! I knew there was one (or two) hotter than the habanero but I didn't realize there was one THREE TIMES hotter!! OMG, that is mind boggling. I ate a habanero once; didn't know what it was at the time, only that I had found the answer to mystery of spontaneous human combustion. I farted the next day and set my pants on fire.

:laughing::bow:

that last line has to be one of the funniest I have read ever....

I've never had the chance to try these Indian "Naga" peppers, but I do know that some Indian food is seriously spicy.

The hottest pepper I've ever eaten was a Caribbean Redhot (a habanero hybrid) grown in my dad's backyard. we ate little slivers off the tip that pretty much set our faces on fire, and we declared them "inedible", lol. I think the seeds could only be handled with fire-proof gloves.:D

Sleepy

Veteran
have you tried the Sichuan pepper?

have you tried the Sichuan pepper?

i copied this from wiki...its true, though...they really numb the mouth and face!

Sichuan pepper (or Szechuan pepper) is the outer pod of the tiny fruit of a number of species in the genus Zanthoxylum (most commonly Z. piperitum, Z. simulans, and Z. schinifolium), widely grown and consumed in Asia as a spice. Despite the name, it is not related to black pepper or to chili peppers. It is widely used in the cuisine of Sichuan, China, from which it takes its name, as well as Tibetan, Bhutanese, Nepalese, Japanese and Konkani and Batak Toba cuisines, among others.
It is known in Chinese as huājiāo (花椒; literally "flower pepper"); a lesser-used name is shānjiāo (; literally "mountain pepper"; not to be confused with Tasmanian mountain pepper). In Japanese, it is 山椒 sanshō, using the same Chinese characters as shanjiao. The Korean denomination has the same chinese root, 산초나무 (山椒) sanchonamu, for z. schinifolium ; z. piperitum is called 초피나무, chopinamu. In Tibetan, it is known as g.yer ma. In Konkani it is known as tepal or tirphal.[1] In Indonesia's North Sumatra province, around Lake Toba, it is known as andaliman in the Batak Toba language and tuba in the Batak Karo language. In America, it is sold as fagara or flower pepper as well as Sichuan pepper.
In Nepali it is known as टिमुर (timur) and is widely used in Nepalese cuisine.
Contents

[hide]

[edit] Culinary uses

Seeds and stems (left) and husks (right)

Sichuan pepper has a unique aroma and flavour that is not hot or pungent like black or white pepper, or chili peppers, but has slight lemony overtones and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth (caused by its 3% of hydroxy-alpha-sanshool) that sets the stage for these hot spices. Recipes often suggest lightly toasting and then crushing the tiny seedpods before adding them to food. Only the husks are used; the shiny black seeds are discarded or ignored as they have a very gritty sand-like texture. It is generally added at the last moment. Star anise and ginger are often used with it and it figures prominently in spicy Sichuan cuisine. It has an alkaline pH and a numbing effect on the lips when eaten in larger doses. Ma la (Chinese: 麻辣; pinyin: málà; literally "numbing and spicy"), a flavor common in Sichuan cooking, is a combination of Sichuan pepper and chili pepper.
Sichuan pepper is a key ingredient in "má là" ("numb and spicy") hot pot, the Sichuan variation of the Chinese traditional dish.
It is also available as an oil (Chinese: 花椒油, marketed as either "Sichuan pepper oil", "Bunge Pricklyash Oil", or "Hwajiaw oil"). In this form it is best used in stir fry noodle dishes without hot spices. The preferred recipe includes ginger oil and brown sugar to be cooked with a base of noodles and vegetables, with rice vinegar and Sichuan pepper oil to be added after cooking.

hydroxy-α-sanshool

Hua jiao yan (simplified Chinese: 花椒盐; traditional Chinese: 花椒鹽; pinyin: huājiāoyán) is a mixture of salt and Sichuan pepper, roasted and browned in a wok and served as a condiment to accompany chicken, duck and pork dishes. The peppercorns can also be lightly fried in order to make a spicy oil with various uses. In Indonesian Batak cuisine, it is ground into a green sambal Tinombur or chili paste, by mixing with chilis and seasonings to accompany grilled pork, carp and other regional specialities.
Sichuan pepper is one of the few spices important for Tibetan and Bhutanese cookery of the Himalayas, because few spices can be grown there. One Himalayan specialty is the momo, a dumpling stuffed with vegetables, cottage cheese or minced yak meat, beef or pork and flavoured with Sichuan pepper, garlic, ginger and onion. The noodles are steamed and served dry, together with a fiery sauce. It is believed that it can sanitize meat that may not be so fresh. In reality it may only serve to mask foul flavors. The foul smell masking property of Sichuan pepper made it popular in offal dishes.
In Japan the dried and powdered leaves of Zanthoxylum sancho are used to make noodle dishes and soups mildly hot and fragrant. The whole fresh leaves, 木の芽 kinome, are used to flavour vegetables, especially bamboo shoots, and to decorate soups. Typically the young shoots are used in this way giving an aromatic lemony flavour to food. They are used to denote spring seasonality in food. The buds, seeds, flowers, and hulls are also used.[2]
Sichuan peppercorns are one of the traditional ingredients in the Chinese spice mixture five-spice powder and also shichimi togarashi, a Japanese seven-flavour seasoning.

we recently ate at a Chinese restaurant that specializes in Sichuan cuisine, we were the only non-Chinese people there...it was kinda weird at first, but they were really friendly and helpful in finding us food we really enjoyed...even the kids!

no shit, these "peppers" really numb you!! it was like i had a huge novacaine injection for about two hours after the meal!!

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
cayenne is about as hot as i think i need right now. but that hasnt stopped me from planting some thai chillies!

puffin fresh

ICMag Donor
The Bhut Jolokia is the Guiness world record book holder at the moment I thinkat 1,041,427 SHU, however I have a naga Morich that rates at 1,598,227 SHU. Farking hot mate! The most interesting I find though are some of the Bolivian hairy varieties. :)

Wait...What?

Veteran
some people are wired differently so they perceive the rocoto [c. pubescens] as 1,000x hotter than a habanero.

me? i loves me some rocoto but it takes 2 years before it starts to yield.

Latest posts

Latest posts