What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is Colombian Gold 🟡 to you?

funkyhorse

During this time from that post to today I have made one more harvest and more knowledge is coming up
This is about Colombian Gold, attached is a dossier by a NY University historian about the weed from Colombia and about the origins of Colombian Gold, I smoked the last of that weed in the 80s
Anything indica carrying the tag Colombian Gold is not real pedigree

I keep seeing many problems with pure sativa seed coming from Europe.
I think the problem is it is bred under artificial lights in northern environments, it is clearly giving inbreeding depression problems

I dont doubt somewhere in planet earth somebody is keeping some decent good old weed and creating new quality lines, my personal experience is the best weed I got from the commercial canna was bred in the 20th century and to my surprise and dismay, some of my lucky own crosses are better than the modern commercial canna
I think we live in the present and we live in the today and the best we can do is to grow the best weed available to us today, pedigree and traceability today is a real problem and it certainly doesnt help on the search and you start doubting anyone and everyone because today everything seems motivated for the love of 2$ and not the love for the plant or the love for a good high

Attachments

• 10_Dossier08.pdf
    815.9 KB · Views: 66

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
Hello.
The problem is not breeding under artificial lights. The main problem is the successive inbreeding with low numbers of plants.

This was said by Jahgreenlabel I think.

"The 1972 Colombian gold was given to me by some Canadian friends that was kept privately Canadian, it is a very stable pure sativa line with a flowering time of 16/18 weeks!

It is typical of the Colombian 70s with a great effort that ends in 16/18 weeks, then the plant still takes the size but much more slowly! The heads are soft but consistent all the same! The production is good! !!

It is fairly easy to grow for growers used to sativas.

It has a very strong spicy smell and is high, positive, relaxing and finished with a light stone.

It is a good variety for breeding.

7 females and 6 males were used for the last breeding!

This is not the same lineage that is used to cross with Lambsbread!"

In this line I saw the problems of inbreeding that I had.
In addition to some short flowering genotype.
Who knows what that was but it wasn't Colombian gold. It had less than 10 weeks of flowering.

In my case, the best females that was found was selected to mix it with selected Old Timers Haze males.
To give her new blood and make her wilder than she was before.

Last edited:

Loriented

Attachments

• 11550santa_marta_gold-thumb.jpg
    11550santa_marta_gold-thumb.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

IndicaFarmer

A little off topic but has anyone grown flash seeds Panama lime super auto? expensive as hell, but looks awesome. would love a fast version of Panama red. I have no bias against autos in general, but it would be great to have an Equitorial and or tropical south American that took like 4 months total from seed to harvest.

Wwbsox

Yes, I am serious. Whatever they could do to jack up the price, they did it. Its not a new tactic. If the demand in the States was for gold then thats what they sent. Growers got paid regardless of the quality. Whats so hard to understand about that?

Yesum I dont think there are many of us on here that were around in those days. I remember guys breaking up bricks and letting them fluff up before weighing them so we did get buds like in the photos. The bricks we got werent always mashed down hard. The ones that were had mold and didnt bring much. Thats what we'd get when the droughts hit and weed was scarce.

Hello Funkyhorse. Been a long time since we have talked. I cant say that someone wasnt growing Colombian or fake Colombian. Most people didnt have the knowledge about the plant to grow back in those days. Plenty of people threw bagseed out hoping for something to happen but the climate in most parts of the states isnt right. We had no idea about differences between Sativa and Indica. In my part of the country no one had heard if Indica. We hadnt seen the hybrids yet. All we knew was names we were told by the dealers. We didnt have grow lights other than old flourecent bulbs so it was not at all like it is today. I moved out west in 81 and was exposed to "indica" for the first time and not long after the hybrids showed up.

Another thing about growing in the States. California may have had plenty but in my area we would have droughts every so often where weed was unavailable until a load or even the latest harvest got thru. We could go months without it and the price would sky rocket if you could find it. $100 1/4 oz. Outrageous money for back then. But then again, the guys running the stuff around the country paid a heavy price for getting caught
Late reply, but I remember those times that the weed would just dry up (or my money would). That's why I could never grow good weed back then. As soon as the drought hit, my plants would be cut, dried and smoked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts