What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is Colombian Gold šŸŸ” to you?

led05

Chasing The Present
then there was more prevalent late 70ā€™s on.. chunkier Colombia Gold also from Colombia that was

hybridized with wld..
Yup - 80ā€™s Colombian from everyoneā€™s favorite French Canadianā€¦.^

I think that's pure sat Colombian Black and not hybrided with indica! Just special adapted line from high elevation ;)
Itā€™s definitely not pure or Black but very unique & interesting, one of them reveging here, itā€™ll get healthier no worries

Roms you figure out whom RGD is yet..?

1980ā€™s Colombian from RGD alter ego - ha
EE3F6BA7-DB17-4064-9E89-E66F02FF5F62.jpeg

I Suspect these 80ā€™s Lumbo were at the crossroads of Columbia & Americaā€™s ā€œWar on Drugsā€ - but theyā€™ve got a little bit of everythingā€¦. Except males or maybe theyā€™re the rare Regs, I forgetā€¦. RGD - Regs or Femsā€¦? Pretty sure I only got females in theseā€¦

TheDarkStorm

Soo you had a private convo with Sams after he posted about the 3 lumbos ?

Considering you shared (he said it was a Guess) , Iā€™m curious what more you can share of his thoughts further than his post ?

Iā€™m interested in what could be this New version of Events.

I believe his Post was directed to me as I posted before him but he didnā€™t quote me , if I recall he usually doesnā€™t quote

The Anyone who says they know is just fooling themselves line from Sams is -

Incomprehensible to me , The story I told was second hand from G , the originator . How would the Originator not know what happened, or the man he Mentored ?

In that post you /I refer to

Sams 3 Colombians version Admittedly came from RL who admittedly was not there when G created Original Haze but joined up some years later because Gā€™s interest in his Greenhouse

Then Sams mentioned j a Helper to G when he first Grew up in the mountains , told him all about the Hazes he never saw as Sams returned to SC in 72

Iā€™m not a detective but thatā€™s the Evidence and we have all the proof/ post not necessary to put up again

Soo who is Guessing Really ?

Iā€™m Still waiting for that Pm Reply šŸ˜‰

1luvbigherb
Yea il get to that pm bigherb....the discussion I had was public on the boards but got pulled...but il pm you that msg I was saying..getting on it now...any more gold pics guys....

Rgd

Veteran
hopefully someone has the old HT photo of Sierra de Nevada de Santa Marta women

carrying bundles of fat colas

as well ,they had the photos of the same "NOT tall skinny sativasā€ growing

lookingblike they were planted by tractors

From the mid 70ā€™s each year I would grow seeds from different Colombians

the red/gold/greens

and none of them were the skinny, frond like ,glory sativas that took ages to finish

i got colombian red once..beautiful little puntas..

still had too much sedation hahaha

but the Santa Marta Blonde weed was awesome bright trip weed

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I'd be interested to know what kind of genetics, environmental factors and curing process led to that beautiful gold color that Raco got. Mezz Mezrow wrote about the best quality weed he sourced from his connection in the 1920s in Chicago. It came from Mexico, was sold by Mexicans and it was called "gold leaf." So clearly, the art of making gold weed has been around for at least a century, yet is an almost entirely lost art.
My personal opinion is that the Gold weed was left to ripen and by that time the leaves were turning yellow it had actually developed some mature resin. Not that all green weed was bad, but by todayā€™s standards the vast majority of it was harvested super early. Likewise that generation of tokers had very little knowledge of how to identify good herb. It was a simple distinction.

My 74 year old mom told me that in the 60ā€™s there were only two types of weed available to her and her friends. Green and Gold.

Lugo

Veteran
Wow man. Its so interesting how people are trying to tie down a few hundred year old Colombian landrace cultivars to a specific year or to a specific person or persons. Telling me that if I have grown or smoked lets say SMG I should go thank this guy or the other šŸ˜†!!!

Folks are trying to pre98 Colombian landrace cultivars and from what Ive seen if some folks get their way they're going to try to bring the same over-commercialized, bottleneck model to landrace cultivars.

Thailand much?

Pictured is šŸ‡ØšŸ‡“ ColombianšŸŸ” in the making and a plate of šŸ‡ØšŸ‡“ CPR šŸ”“ from 2021

āœŒļøšŸ¤Ŗ

Attachments

• received_524656906525817.jpeg
    received_524656906525817.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 79
  • received_101416856264876.jpeg
    received_101416856264876.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Lugo

Veteran
CG72 bud JGL repro from creeplecrow seeds. It lacks tropical qualities, after 5 months cure starts degrading
View attachment 18819372
Progeny CG72 of JGL repro. Clear inbreeding depression. Both plants have grown at the same environment same place. Progeny lacks vigour and high is washed down
View attachment 18819373
Colombian Black Bastard from Gage Green genetics. It doesnt have any high. I call this escarole. It is a beautiful lettuce and hits as much as lettuce
View attachment 18819370 View attachment 18819371
Mangobiche from The Landrace Team. I still have all jars full after 7 months cure. My neighbours like it. It has no high, it has nice taste and very little munchies. Tobacco has no munchies. Tobacco is better. Llanera from this seedbank is hybridized and a phenotype carnival. If you get anything decent is pure luck
View attachment 18819375
Mangobiche from Cannabiogen. All jars full as well. My neighbour favourite weed. It has no high, nice taste and no munchies, certainly better than tobacco. Very long flowering strain, it can go from equinox to equinox
View attachment 18819374
The answer was given by the breeder himself, I can only speculate about his motivations.

This is what I am seeing. They might have released pure line names but weed is totally washed down and this was made on purpose, JGL same thing.

I certainly can differentiate between passionate private boutique breeders doing their best in very difficult environments against commercial breeders with resources behaving like little Monsantos
This post from Kaiki is before the releases of Mangobiche, PR and CG72. I am sure the seed creeplecrow sent is much better quality than the commercial release.

Southamerican weed is creeper high weed, you toke and start feeling it after some minutes and go higher from there. There is better creeper high weed and worse, but southamerican original weed has this distinctive high
Whatever has been released under the tag colombian commercially is not creeper weed.
Thats a really sad MB man! Like ive always said people keep the good stuff to themselves and rip off everybody else! and ive seen some amazing MB being grown in Spain from that same outfit. Ive also seen their PR and its pitiful, won't post the pic out of respect.

This my MB btw

āœŒļøšŸ˜

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1681107953957.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681107953957.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 53

Lugo

Veteran
Good thing that our love for the herb back in the day aside from getting us high, real horny or the munchies also induced voyeuristic tendencies and she made herself a muse for more than one photographer among other artists and creatives.

If we relied on hearsay we'd be lost af. Big ups to the classic stoner photographers of the time, you have no idea how valuable your work is! mad RSPKT

Attachments

• received_741531900843813.jpeg
    received_741531900843813.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20230410-015700_Messenger~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410-015700_Messenger~2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 68
  • received_3497303207255367.jpeg
    received_3497303207255367.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 70

Rgd

Veteran
and that if you smoked it your lungs would collapse šŸ¤£
I wouldnā€™t bet on it and i am not sure why

The guy would make it up

But it was interesting

And of course

ā€œIts true its true..i heard it in on the street in Colombia !!!ā€™

Last edited:

Lugo

Veteran
Bring in the Gold for when I'm old :D
View attachment 18822298
I actually just read this for the first time! Thanks so much for sharing. As I read there was such an authenticity in the writing style, writing style that in itself was specific to the time and the mood that I looked it up to see if it was real and bam 1983. I was around 8 at the time but there was still kind of a romanticed elegant pirate/smuggler dandy vibe going on culturally in music mostly.

Amazing to think that back then some cool cats were savvy enough to romanticize Marijuana flower and place it right next to the best vintage wines among other Earthly delights i'm sure šŸ˜
Nevermind how amazingly relevant all that is today, especially with new market, corporate Cannabis colonies popping up in what were for a time the worlds most important Cannabis producers.

The comments are the kepper šŸ¤£, good reminder of what year we're in and who is the new market!

PS I'm not saying this is fact but it is definetely based on a true story(ies) and it reads like a movie script from some sexy Carribean film noir ā˜ ļø so I don't care if it is or it isn't!

Great share @Raco

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410-215836_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230410-215836_Chrome.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 53

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually just read this for the first time! Thanks so much for sharing. As I read there was such an authenticity in the writing style, writing style that in itself was specific to the time and the mood that I looked it up to see if it was real and bam 1983. I was around 8 at the time but there was still kind of a romanticed elegant pirate/smuggler dandy vibe going on culturally in music mostly.

THX for the kind words :)

Another great read :
The legend of Panama Red (by anonymous)

"In this story,you will learn who and how this 12 ton load of Panama Red was smuggled into California.
Have you ever heard the legend of Panama Red?I mean you have heard of Panama Red,havenĀ“t you?Well,hereĀ“s the true story abou a load that came into California in 1969.
I drove up Highway 1,to Maple Street,in Tam Valley,and turned left;if you know where this is,itĀ“s near Mill Valley.I went to my connectionĀ“s house to see what exotic weed had come in.He had Yucatan Green,which was fully filled into white plastic bags.It had a fruity aroma,and you could uncoil the kiwi colored green leavesa into their natural finger and hand shapes.IĀ“d never seen weed cured this well.It was somewhat cured like pliable tobacco leaves.The price was $150.a pound which was a lot back in those days..Next a brown grocery sack came out of the closet,which I noticed was full of white plastic bags and the brown grocery bags.From my quick glance I estimated about 10 bags of weed in all.
As the top of the brown bags was unfolded I inmediatelly smelled the strong aroma of fresh tilled earth,perhaps the smell when you turn over a mulching log,combined with red clay.Then,I distinguished another smell.The smell of fresh earth was mixed with a strong hashish smell.A handful of the well dried small buds was pulled out and laid on the stainless steel plate of the triple-beam.I was in wonder as I had never seen any weed that wasnĀ“t green or gold.To my amazement these small buds were a bright rusty color.Not brown like the colombian gold I scored a few years later,but you know,a rusty red color.I asked:WhereĀ“s this weed from?
My connection told me the story.
This is Panama Red.This stuff grows in the mountains north of the Panama canal.The soil is red to black,with rain all the time.ItĀ“s impossible to get this weed but I have access to about a ton of it. How much is for a pound?I asked him.
ItĀ“s $220 a pound.My wad of cash choked in my pocket,as I had thought that the Yucatan Green was expensive.He could read me.He pulled out a paper from his Zig-Zag pack,and rolled a pinhead joint.Then he lit it up,making a yellow flame as the empty paper end burned into the weed.He took the first puff,which sent off two intertwined lines of blue gray hashish like smoke,heading towards the ceiling.
If this were possible,he looked even more euphoric from the one hit;and his eyes rolled back,and closed,as he slowly stabbed the smoking pinner across the table in my direction.As I reached out for it,he said in a choked breath while exhaling smoke:YouĀ“ll probably never get weed this good again.
I knew his word was always true.My connection and his group had smuggled hashish from Afghanistan,India and Morocco.HeĀ“d been busted for importing hash in the bottom of a crate of snakes.He always had exotic weed and hash.He wouldnĀ“t mess around with the weed I could get from the piulots in my part of the state.The only stuff I could get in my area was Mexican weed which ran about $80. to $120. a brick.We called this weed reg. for regular.The reg. kilos or bricks came wrapped in red,green or blue construction paper and was taped off with masking tape.This was the regular bottom-line non-exotic weed that was somewhat harsh to the throat but got you stoned.We resold for $10. a lid,or if you werenĀ“t around back then,a lid is an ounce.
The hashish smell of the pinner was overcoming my thougths,as I took a hit of pure heaven.The smoke was so smooth,with a taste just like itĀ“s unburnt smell of fresh earth and hashish.I thought it tastred like Lebanese Red hash,mixed with fresh earth,as I barely watched the smoke vining itĀ“s way upwards.It was hash without the bite.Then the stone came on as I took my second hit.My senses suddenly kicked into the hyper space as I became acutely aware of everything.My hearing,my thinking,my senses were all rocketed into Stonesville,which is a different place for everyone of us.Within a minute I reallized I was really stoned.I laughed.Shortly after three hits,I started seeing trails,colors,and realized this weed was a psychedelic high too.Lots of colors.and laughs,in a mellow floating state.A weed to bring out your innermost thoughts,to philosophize,about the finer points of life and existence,with those of like mind.
In 1969,I bought five pounds of Panama Red,which is the most stony weed I have ever smoked,even to this day.When I got back home where the local hippies were used to the $1o.price of an ounce of reg.,I knew I couldnĀ“t sell the rusty red weed.First,since it wasnĀ“t green,they wouldnĀ“t believe it was weed.Second,the price would be about four times what they were used to paying for an ounce of reg. weed.I kept telling myself nobody was ready for this rusty weed,which could send anybody,especially these locals to heaven.I knew that if I rolled pinners.it would take me years to smoke all this exotic weed.I figured at least 80 joints to an oz.,and I had 80 ozs.,and letĀ“s see thatĀ“s 6400 joints.I couldnĀ“t take time to do one a day,so I figured maybe 150 a year,and um.it would take me over 42 years to smoke all of this weed.It would loose itĀ“s potency after a year or two.Then the lightbulb came on.IĀ“d roll up about 10 pinners and just give them away.I understood that even my friends could figure out that this was the best weed in the world.After they had smoked this fantastic weed,they would realize how stoned they were,and with the weed rolled up,they wouldnĀ“t know that it wasnĀ“t green!Great idea!I reached into my pocket again as I arrived at the toll on the Golden Gate bridge entering SF,stoned out of my mind.
I want you to know something,when I got home thatĀ“s exactly what I did.I passed out the pinners and asked my friends just to try it and give me their opinions.They questioned me about the small sized joints,and I said what are you complaining about?itĀ“s free!.Then the phone started ringing with questions like:What was that?Is that laced with acid?That canĀ“t be ordinary weed.Do you have any more?Then I got to tell the story of PR to them.which if ever smiƧokeds the real thing,I need not say more.

MEETING THE SMUGGLER
On another score trip north,about a month later,I discovered that my connection had moved to Stinson Beach.You might know where he moved if you ever went there.It was the third house back from the beach,it was on the left,the one with the purple door.When the purple door opened I gasped as I thought I saw my dad sitting down counting cash on a coffee table.I realized that it really wasnĀ“t my Dad,but the guy was a dead ringer for my Dad.He had a receding conservative haircut,with brown hair and graying sideburns.Same facial features.My connection introduced him,and for his protection,IĀ“ll just call him Roy.Roy was counting out $40.000.cash,another installment for the fronting of his illegal,precious cargo of PR to my connection.This was alot of money for a weed deal back in 1969,and probably,one of the hundred bags of money picked up by Roy.You figure it out.If he sold his PR for only $120 a pound,times 24.000 pounds he grossed about $2.9 million from his load.Thirty years ago,this money had the purchasing power of about 4 times more than what it would buy today.However,I have no idea what PR would cost today as I have never found it again.IĀ“ve had Colombian Gold,but itĀ“s more of a brown tobacco color.Red is very earthy,rusty color and I havenĀ“t seen any counterfeit stuff offered.I havenĀ“t even seen the seeds offered.The $40.000 Roy was counting out was only a payment for about 300 pounds.Payment for a ton would be $240.000.DonĀ“t forget he had the money for selling the fish too.
Roy was a vcery candid person,treating meas if heĀ“d known me his whole life.He explained the PR saga.He bought a surplus submarine chaser,a 90 footer.He sold most of the military gear and paid for the vessel with money left over:It was a typical government deal where millions were spend to build and outfit the ship,and then it was later sold by peanuts:Roy outfitted it as a fishing boat:he got acrew together and went south:He loaded in 12 tons of PR,and then he and his crew went fishing...got a small fleet of fishing and sailboats together.This fleet was obviously pre-planned.The fleet was a fleet of dealers who went under the Golden Gate Bridge out about 25 miles,and towards the Farallon islands ,where the PR was was quickly offloaded onto those smaller boats.One Harbor Master inside the bay was in on it too,so there was a little chance of anybody getting caught.I canĀ“t tell you if it was day or night,foggy or anything about the conditions,but I do know from other smugglers that they use the worst weather conditions for all their activities.If itĀ“s hard for them,itĀ“s hard for the cops to catch them:Roy said he retired off this trip.
I grew some plants from the VERY SMALL BROWN SEEDS:The plants had stalks with alternating green and purple vertical lines.The dark green leaves had purple veins:I got tired of wartering them,so I sold the crop where it stood by selling a map with itĀ“s location.My friends nicknamed me Panama red for waking them to this high.ThereĀ“s been no more P Red,that IĀ“m aware of.If IĀ“m wrong,IĀ“d like to hear your story"

Robert Sabbag's 'Snowblind' is just another great great read ...I bought the book in Spain in 1981 iirc...Ciego de nieve...Zachary Swan...lol

410XHQB0P4L._AA240_1.jpg

IndicaFarmer

Hi mate
I had no clue this is your repro and dont take it personal because it is not
You understand about purchase parity power. Let's take a salary of your favourite corpo, McDonalds in New York and South America. I am writing you from SA. The price requested for a pack of this is a third of a salary of a McDonalds worker. In NY it would equal to how much 800u$s? So in PPP for a southamerican the price of a pack is like 800u$s and it is outrageous and why You dont see southamerican growers in the forum unless they belong to the canna mason lodge, the seed prices are out of reach for most people here

I paid Seedsman Haze original pack 20u$s. Why repros of the originals cost 4 times more? There is no other trade in the world where copies are more expensive than the originals

In SA we are all highly illegal and I am interested in southamerican genetics. All I tried coming from Europe is washed down and with inbreeding depression problems, I am interested to know why you think yours would not be the same result as all the others.

I see a pattern in all these repros. They are all being grown far away from the tropics, indoors under 2 meters of snow in tiny pots ranging from 0,5lt to maybe 5 lts if they are lucky. The result of this is inbreeding depression. Sativas should be bred in the tropics outdoors under the sun
Problems I got growing all the different strains carrying the tag colombian are similar: low landrace resistance which is understable because they are being grown in indoor labs in unpolluted environments. You put them back to nature and the result is similar to an animal grown in captivity and thrown to nature
Local fauna eats them and supposed landrace plants need to be babysitted or otherwise get eaten alive

I got equal numbers male female on some strains like the madmac ohz, oldtimer haze and CBG Mangobiche but all of it is inbreeding depression genetics.
Seedsman Haze from SamS as well

The high of all these genetics have nothing to do with the high we had in SA in the 80s or even in the first decade of the 2000s, if they are southamericans, they are all washed down

Please guys, this is not personal and this is not about egotrips or masonic lodges. This is about the genetics and the weed and very short is the step from preservation to degradation. Indoors not even a blind open pollination is good with sativas. Forget about selections indoors
We can use cambodian as standard. You grow it and I smoked it for 20 years, something like what was done in Usa within breeders with the California Orange clone
For me cambodian is a 5
The best plant I got from Seedsman Haze is a 6,5. But this is the best from more than 20 girls
I better dont rate any of the other colombians I grew coming from Europe, all well below cambodian quality and all of them when crossed with themselves give very poor progeny. And honestly for outcrossing I would prefer any genetics without inbreeding depression

How would you rate your colombian gold? And honestly, what makes you think it will not have inbreeding depression like all the rest of the sativas bred indoors in basements under 2 meters of snow in Alaska or Greenland? For sativas it is Guantanamo and we are turning Colombian Gold into Guantanamo Pyrite and this is happening with all the sativas.

Have a nice weekend
I don't disagree with your hypothesis, but I think it might not be a good idea to generalize an entire continents cannabis in one sentence or a few. maybe with very new commercialized weed and the new big wave of cannabis business, but in general, people are growing good weed. everywhere people are keeping old strains, reviving good strains, pulling seeds out of storage and reproing, etc. people and weed all over are doing all kinds of cool shit, there are good genes and bad, make your own crosses, search out your own sources, see how they grow, pick what you want, smoke what you want, generalizing is too simple. we all do it, but it is just too simple an answer to a large and complex question. but yeah, there is a lot of crap out there. there is also a lot of good lineages, vestiges of old. we can approximate old lines and effects. we can attempt to the best of our ability, recreate the best of the old, and recombine it with the best of the newly discovered or created. it's what has always gone on and will always continue to go on. keep growing, keep smoking, keep thinking. weed is a never-ending search for what was or might have been.

Latest posts

Latest posts