What's new

What happens when real commercial breeders take over?

sprinkl

Veteran
1. Pharma:

Pharma will not grow plants to produce cannabinoid based medicine in large quantities.
The THC-Synthase gene has been spliced into E.Coli bacteria and 1kg of pure THC can be produced in 'bio reactors' for less than $3,000.
A CBD producing E.Coli strain will follow before the end of the decade.
There's also synthetic THC (JWH018) that uses the same pathways as natural THC.
Synthetic CBD will follow as soon as cannabinoid based medicine becomes a lucrative market.
As for the entourage effect of natural cannabis, the terpenoids, etc. are not exclusively produced by cannabis plants (unlike the cannabinoids).
Other plants and synthetic alternatives exist.

2. Recreational:

Customers don't buy seeds/weed because it has been bred a certain way.
Marketing is the key to make money here, not breeding.

I don't see any big change in breeding coming anytime soon.
There's simply no economical need for it.

What about hemp? Lot's of things can be done with it. There are already a big number of highly bred hemp strains available. I saw two hemp fields last year in my country. Didn't know what I saw at first, millions of stalky plants with a fat bud on top... Then I saw the sign <0.1% THC :/

To me the big picture is like this. Cannabis was outlawed not only for its drug properties, but also because it offered huge independence to a lot of the big industries. People growing hemp in their backyard produce their own fibre for textile and rope, seed and its oil for nutrition or fuel, and medicine. As long as this was going on people would never be dependant enough on money and industries.
Now the industry feels they have made us dependant on their scammy, polluting and comparatively worthless and expensive alternatives, and they monetized the cannabis plant by taking patents and putting in rubbish genes which they don't own or made either, so they can make money from nature like they've always been doing(why do we have to pay for fossil fuels and minerals? Isn't the planet everyone's?), they feel it's profitable to legalize once again. And thus, the plant will be fully legalized again within the next 10 years. As long as it's their shit you grow, that is.

kamyo

Veteran
Well, it sure isn't going to be small business forever. Big money will take over and I'm not sure how that will work, but it'll happen. The average consumer won't really care and will go for what is convenient and cheap. Genetics will never go away, though. A lot of us just want to fuck around in our garden without having to worry about the law. Once it's legal (in the places that are currently still illegal), we'll be able to do that. One thing is certain: it's happening right before our eyes and it's awesome.

Will suck to see something so great get turned into another corporate product, with money being the driving force, but I guess that goes along with part of the argument many have been saying - "more money for the economy." Those businesses who never were there for the fight and know nothing about pot, all of the sudden show up and take over. They can go fuck themselves in advance.

Whatever happens, I just can't wait for it to be legal here, just for the peace of mind. Leave me alone and let me grow my pot.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Clones and HEPA filters together will ensure we always have drug cultivar Cannabis available indoors uncontaminated by BS establishment genes in some far off future...

Apodo

Men is capitalism.
Is pretty obvious, Monsanto is just the pinnacle of what an enterprise can be. Profit is the only motion in mind, there is no moral term in here. The enterprises will always chase it, that is what are designed to do. If the enterprises currently function over exploitation off the working class, deslocalization in search of cheaper slaves or using slaves "literally" (as we seen in China, Argentina, Mexico, bah almost everywhere).
Cannabis will be used in the same manner as corn or any plant, animal or bacteria for that matter, that can hold a foreseeable profit gain.
Come on guys... Marx say it quite clearly in "Das Capital" tome 2.

Rinse

Veteran
I would never grow gm anything, certainly not weed. It would be sacrilege Im sure there are others that feel the same.

Terroir

stoners are a little more stubborn than the average gardener, so i'm gonna put my money on the new McWeed not going over to well

nah. Ill disagree. Stoners are like anyone else in the consumeristic society that we live in. Yeh cool you can grow the sickest purpl kush haze known to man and in the past you might have got top dollar for it but how are you going to compete against 7/11 selling full melty melt bubble for 30 bux an ounce 31 flavours to boot.

Can you sell an ounce of your finest bud at a profit retail for $30 an ounce. NO. Can Monsanto contract hundreds of thousands of acres of corn field in ohio and plant it to extremely resinous early flowering female lines they have developed (dont need gm), harvest them by a tractor slasher sort of thing, throw it in in a big fuck off mixing bowl and out comes melty melt, then brand and distribute nation wide.

Yes they can and they know it. Make hay while the sun shines.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
There is a reason not to fear this

science can determine what profiles have a medicinal value but they still can't reverse engineer preference

there is no perfect strain, but rather combinations of character of high, taste, smell that people find pleasing

Liken it to Beer, there is not "perfect" beer regardless of technological advance because best is a subject to preference

Terroir

Liken it to Beer, there is not "perfect" beer regardless of technological advance because best is a subject to preference

but what percentage of shelf space do the big brewers hold at your local.

Whats a bet that the percentage of shelf space equates directly to the popularity of said beer.

While i dont deny that even with full legalization we will see niche markets appear i will bet cold hard cash that niche markets are controlled by the big guys.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
but what percentage of shelf space do the big brewers hold at your local.

Whats a bet that the percentage of shelf space equates directly to the popularity of said beer.

While i dont deny that even with full legalization we will see niche markets appear i will bet cold hard cash that niche markets are controlled by the big guys.

Barking up the wrong tree, I wrote about this exact dynamic happening (5 years ago), that legality would empower big business to take an aggregate share of the market away from the black market which supports low and middle income segments of the economy

wrote about it again and every time tons of people scream I just want legal weed. I preferred a decriminalized recreational and legal medical market strategy because it simply limited diversion from existing economic segments that need money to the big business hording it

still montasano is a big seed company but there are plenty of small guys who seeds are heavily in demand

baker creek, etc etc

TLoft13

Big upside would be higher uniformity/ quality of breeding.
Just look out of your window and look at maize and cornfields, realize how absolutly uniform they are despite being grown from seed....that's the kind of proffesionel quality standard we may expect.
Plant tissue culture techniques will also play an important role.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
...Generically engineer so every plant is pretty much identical in nature....

whats to worry then? a company can base their I.P. around 1 strain or just a few patents but i doubt that all genetic possibilities that can be breed can be covered and protected w/a handful of patents.

if that was the case then how can any plant patent related to cannabis be granted due to prior art?

...Start releasing pollen into the air in mass production to destroy other cannabis crops and strains.

this would suck but how would this infringe on any patents?

if anything under legalization where regulations are established you could sue deep pockets for intentionally releasing pollen and reducing the value of your product.

those who choose to be in the Cannabis breeding industry should not fear patents or the value they hold. I.P. is your friend.

peace

purple_man

Veteran
sorry bro no offense, but i guess folks like you are gonna run out of business and all weed is gonna be generically modified ...

blessss

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a reason not to fear this

science can determine what profiles have a medicinal value but they still can't reverse engineer preference

there is no perfect strain, but rather combinations of character of high, taste, smell that people find pleasing

i agree which is why i made post #21

bedrocan does 'blended product' and there are those who see this as market future

homogenized and standardized

sure that may be nice from a marketing/regulating perspective until they find the market likes the diversity of the individual strain and even plant {or even from one hit to the next}

no doubt there will be plenty who like their McPot ~may have to see what a 'blended product' is like

but today; i kinda "fear the change' so to speak and i hope that the many connoisseurs keep the love for the way we have come to know the "product."

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
sorry bro no offense, but i guess folks like you are gonna run out of business and all weed is gonna be generically modified ...

blessss
LOL

Not. :)

Genetically modified food already damages the human body. Can't see cannabis being any different and actually see it as potentially worse in many ways.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Americans have been eating modified food for Oh... ever. Almost every vegetable strain we eat on a daily basis has been modified. People keep living longer and longer. Better chance of dieing to a gunshot them a gmo disease in my area.

purple_man

Veteran
well in many parts of europe hemp is still widely cultivated, and i never heard of any company pushing a transgenic hemp variety on them... next thing is, even if phil morris monsanto or who ever become the main suppliers, guess what, the consumers will insist on non transgenic smokes -> no sense to fund research in that area, also when the time comes for a such huge spread of canna use, the whole gmo debate will be long gone (see the rapid increase in consumption of organic produce), just my opinion...

the main point is, once this happens, you will most likely get what you pay for (for example you want a 44 day strain, you get one with a 90% + expression penetration, etc. )

blessss

Latest posts

Latest posts