What's new

What happens when real commercial breeders take over?

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
I think when that happens we are going to see big changes in our beloved plant, much like we have seen in commercial vegetable crops. Here is what I think will happen.

Once these greedy mega scale breeders take over this is what I can see happening:

Generically engineer cannabis to never produce seeds.

Try to patent cannabis seeds.

Start charging royalties on patented cannabis seeds.

Generically engineer so every plant is pretty much identical in nature.

Start releasing pollen into the air in mass production to destroy other cannabis crops and strains.

What does anyone else feel about this when full legalization happens?

ECtraveler

Veteran
Generically engineer cannabis to never produce seeds.

Try to patent cannabis seeds.

Start charging royalties on patented cannabis seeds.
Too much genetics already out there IMHO. Also legal or illegal the genetic networks are not going away anytime soon. If something like that were to happen there would still be the same avenues as currently available for an illegal product.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
It would take a long time to push out regular cannabis. Never underestimate seed hoarders.

And with much of cultivation taking place indoors this limits the possibility of cross pollination from GM plants like what happened in Canada with Monsanto's GM corn.
Monsanto uses genetic markers so in cases of cross pollination it has gone to supreme courts and the ruling was in favor of Monsanto. Monsanto can actually take control over farmers crops if the genetic marker is found from cross pollination.

Most GMO crops have been spliced with DNA from soil bacteria to kill pests that eat it and make the plants resistant to herbicides and pesticides, but has also been found to cause health issues and tumors in animals. It's bad news, just say no to GMO.

I personally dont think full legalization is a good idea, and Im sure there are many that disagree with me but I think it will be a pandora's box of bad shit.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yep were never gonna lose out to big ag, we as growers have a crap load of seed, and if were smart we wont let um have any of it.

its really sad though as ive heard rumors of guys in the industry sayin they will sell out and make there bank before others do, there reasoning...........get all then can get while the gettins good before someone else does.

those types will aways be around fuckin things up for there own personal gain.

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
Isn't it Monsanto that is trying to patent vegetable seeds at the moment, I think I heard that somewhere?

Easy7

Veteran
Some of that is kinda paranoid. It depends on what the people want, what the market wants to buy. I don't think they will release pollen, there should be controls on all males that are outdoors. I don't want anyone's pollen making seeds I don't want, in my crop. I could see sterile females, that would be a bummer if it's a good strain.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
They already have patents on their GMO plants I believe. Thus them claiming ownership if they find their genetic marker in your field.

They're trying to create a total monopoly, their seed, their fertilizer, their pesticide and their herbicide. A one stop shop for farmers by crushing any competition.

GMO is in everything, it's damn near impossible to avoid it entirely, not just food either, its in dog food, animal feed, clothing, cosmetics,medications etc..etc...

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
That is some scary stuff, I think if you told vegetable crop farmers what is going on now in 1890 they would have said you were paranoid honestly. The trouble is they are so greedy they want everything and you to pay for it. All they have to do is change one thing with cannabis and claim patent on it. Like making a seedless plant. They start destroying commercial grower crops with their crap pollen and then growers only have one place to get beans... them. You may never get rid of the little guy but can they make commercial beans on a mass scale?

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
The only way I can think of to keep the big corporations out of the weed business is to keep it illegal. Sort of illegal any way. Just enough so nobody goes to jail.

I don't think the big guys will be jumping in right away though. The drug warriors will fight a very long, drawn out rear guard action.

ECtraveler

Veteran
663,032 people were arrested for marijuana related charges in in the United States during 2011. That's more than for violent offenses. A half million people not being arrested every year is much bigger concern to me than than a handful of growers who don't think they can compete in an open market. If your product is good enough it will always have people who want it

http://truth-out.org/buzzflash/comm...ions-for-violence-in-2011-a-national-disgrace

Happy 7

1. Pharma:

Pharma will not grow plants to produce cannabinoid based medicine in large quantities.
The THCA-Synthase gene has been spliced into E.Coli bacteria and 1kg of pure THC can be produced in 'bio reactors' for less than $3,000.
A CBDA producing E.Coli strain will follow before the end of the decade.
There's also synthetic THC (JWH018) that uses the same pathways as natural THC.
Synthetic CBD will follow as soon as cannabinoid based medicine becomes a lucrative market.
As for the entourage effect of natural cannabis, the terpenoids, etc. are not exclusively produced by cannabis plants (unlike the cannabinoids).
Other sources - plants and synthetic alternatives - exist.

2. Recreational:

Customers don't buy seeds/weed because it has been bred a certain way.
Marketing is the key to make money here, not breeding.

I don't see any big change in breeding coming anytime soon.
There's simply no economical need for it.

Cannavore

Veteran
GMO's are the threat. Preservation and seed arks are necessary just as Bill Gates did with the arctic seed vaults. Hypothetically GMO cannabis would pollute the natural stock and forever ruin the cannabis species.

Its basically the same thought behind GMO salmon. Eventually there will be no natural salmon left in the wild.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran

holy crap! just look @ the comments on that article

is there really ANYONE still in favor of prohibition? who the fuck are these monsters that keep this ridiculous notion alive?

whats more; look at this OP.... just look at it!

FFS not only do we have to put up w/ this prohibition crap and all the stupidity associated w/ it BUT; we have to be concerned that when it ends THESE SAME FUCKING ASSHOLES are going to take over the canna business and continue to fuck us over

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
It is sad and I donse´t hope it will happen, but some say that it already have begun in secret labs.... dunno if that´s just a rumor. But what I´am seeing is that a uprising is comming against GMO, and that with time people are realizeing that it fucks up the genes. Remember a lot of GMO plants have been shot down to the ground, there is deff. hope yet. When it comes to the plant it self, then i guess we hav to protect it, and preserve it in our small "labs" and let´s hope that GH or any other company wouldn´t wanna go down that road.

Peace.

maxibiogreen

Veteran

D.W.S:Monsanto is al ready everywhere even has organic foundations/company.
I do not mean there is nothing left to do but it's gonna be difficult to do something against such powerful multi billion company.
Do not forget that this company and few other petrol bosses show america's leaders the path to take since a few decades now.
So get few energy drinks before starting anything.

Xmo: you mentionned something about the people's will. that's utopia, remember people's will do not exist otherwise we would not be there. People's confort yes ,,will no.

Anyways hope you're all having a nice natural and healthy smoke.

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
If this is about marketing and not about breeding who do you think has the billions of dollars just sitting around for marketing. It sure ain't the little guy.

G

greenmatter

people who know what a tomato is supposed to taste like have kept the heirlooms in the mix for a long, long, long time not matter what "alternatives" Burpee has come up with

stoners are a little more stubborn than the average gardener, so i'm gonna put my money on the new McWeed not going over to well

ECtraveler

Veteran
I understand that Monsanto is evil. (and I truly think they are) I just don't understand how someone campaigning to keep a policy in place that ruins the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans is standing on higher ethical ground. Both are profiting at the expense of others with the main difference being that Monsanto is better at it than they are. Both see their financial interests as being more important than what's in their customer's best interest. Both use propaganda to achieve their means.

Latest posts

Latest posts