What's new

What does the word outsourcing mean to you?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Gramps, I was indeed poking fun at GB but I wasn't drawing any parallels. Maybe my timing is bad?:) Anyway, sorry if I insulted with a non-intentional flub.

O

OrganicOzarks

It means I have to actually buy weed from someone. Fuck outsourcing!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Ya... I didn't necessarily want to veer off to election finance reform in this thread though. I almost brought up citizen's united earlier as an example of businesses being too big also (although I guess it's really a complaint that they aren't human and shouldn't have those rights)

Yeah, I got a lil' carried away, lol.

McDanger

Lets put this in context

Lets put this in context

This site is dedicated to pot, so lets use some comparisons.
The average price for seeds from various sellers I would say is around $10 each. What do you think it costs to produce one seed? It sure as hell is not even close to $1. Yet most large corporations do not make 10 times what it costs to produce and sell their product, no matter what it is. There is not near the venom directed at them that there is at large corps.
What are the dispensaries selling an oz for these days? (I'm not in a mmj state so I don't know) I'll bet it is at least double what they pay for it.
For those of you that sell pot, is the price set by what it costs you to grow it? I know mine are not. I have not calculated what it costs me per gram for electricity, gas, water, nutes, but I know it is not even close to $3..25/gram yet that is what it sells for here. There is a lot of hypocrisy from people making a 1000% return on their grows, then complaining that somebody else is being greedy when they make a 20% return on their investment in a legal business that they then have to pay taxes on. I wonder how many of the pot sellers on this site could make it if they had to comply with all the regulations that a legal business has to.:wave:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
McD, have you ever seen a cost-analysis spreadsheet? The bigger the business, aka the higher the overhead - the higher the cost. There are many things you pay for that you've probably overlooked.

If you grow indoors, you're probably paying rent, mortgage, property taxes?, water?, power, gas? No matter how significant or trivial the cost, tallying the macro is necessary to keep a company from dying a slow death from underpricing. Nobody is going to risk bankruptcy pricing their wares from customer hip shots.

Any repairs on the joint? Your cost per whatever just increased.

20% return on investment? That could be good or bad. My company adds 40% to cost to determine price. But our company's bottom line only increases in the single digits.

So if somebody's making 20% bottom line in my business, they're crooked as hell.

gingerale

Veteran
99% (if not 100%) of the argument in this thread is pointless or short-sighted. I especially like the claims that the system is "too crooked to fix." Excuse me? Read history. Governments and people have always been corrupt. The US has ALWAYS been corrupt, since damn near its inception. Capitalism isn't about "exploiting underclasses". HUMANITY is about exploiting underclasses. It has always happened, and it will always happen. We should fight against it, of course, but it's not some new and sudden thing that's happening.

If you look at things on a 10 or 20 year time frame, then yeah, it can look like the world is going to hell in a handbasket. But 10 years isn't even a fraction of a percent of anything in the big picture. Compare the world now to how things were a hundred years ago, or 500 years ago, and tell me with a straight face that we're on a downhill path, as a species or as a country. And don't just cherry pick one or two little details that have changed for the "worse" in your totally subjective and culturally biased opinion--look at everything.

The US standard of living is not going down. That's an absurd statement. We live better than 95% of the planet does, and will continue to do so, barring nuclear annihilation. Those who don't learn from and understand history are doomed to waste their time arguing over meaningless things on an Internet message board that probably won't exist in 10 years, or even be remembered in 20.

Remember that every single person in this thread could die tomorrow and it wouldn't have the slightest impact on the course of human history. Even if one of us is destined to go on and invent some gizmo that makes him 10 billion bucks, it doesnt matter, because if he died tomorrow somebody else would invent that gizmo instead. Humanity is one giant machine, a system with 6 billion cogs in it, and growing every day. Do you think your one lone voice, or my lone voice, or anyone's lone voice bitching and complaining about how things are is going to change anything? Of course not. Humanity is going where it's going and none of us are gonna stop it. Through massive effort and action (not empty words) some of us might be able to slightly alter the course or contribute a piece of the puzzle, but that's about it. So let's not get all worked up over petty, stupid shit with no meaning in the grand scheme of things.

Blueshark

Outsourcing to me means that something is cheaper to make/produce/assemble elsewhere (other company or country). This didn't happen so much when this country relied on small private business for jobs/income/production of goods/services.

Without getting into any politics, I think we can all agree that we need to get out of debt as a country and society...How we go about it probably doesn't matter as long as we do not borrow more to achieve this goal.

One voice is not as loud as a group of voices---instead of class warfare, lets find common ground and work on those things together lest everybody loses everything.

Jobs are primarily created by the small business man/woman...Corporations exploit EVERYONE for the almighty dollar. Look around your town...How many small businesses have failed in the last 10-20 years? Astounding, isn't it?

Big Corporate America 'outsources' jobs overseas, not the Mom and Pop stores on the corner. Many problems and no easy answers. But we need to start somewhere.

Enough rambling for now.....out

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
99% (if not 100%) of the argument in this thread is pointless or short-sighted. I especially like the claims that the system is "too crooked to fix."

Lets see if the crooks can fix this.

The Eye of the Recession's Storm Yahoo Finance
Is the recession really (not just technically) over? Is the economy coming back? Are jobs coming back? Obviously, the answers to those questions depend upon whom you talk with. As the old saying goes, “If your neighbor loses his job, we’re in a recession. If you lose your job, we’re in a depression.”
Outsourcing means big problems to me.

McDanger

McD, have you ever seen a cost-analysis spreadsheet? The bigger the business, aka the higher the overhead - the higher the cost. There are many things you pay for that you've probably overlooked.

If you grow indoors, you're probably paying rent, mortgage, property taxes?, water?, power, gas? No matter how significant or trivial the cost, tallying the macro is necessary to keep a company from dying a slow death from underpricing. Nobody is going to risk bankruptcy pricing their wares from customer hip shots.

Any repairs on the joint? Your cost per whatever just increased.

20% return on investment? That could be good or bad. My company adds 40% to cost to determine price. But our company's bottom line only increases in the single digits.

So if somebody's making 20% bottom line in my business, they're crooked as hell.

My point was that there are a lot of people on here and around the country that demonize big business for the amount of money they make, ex. oil and insurance companies, when they make far more on every dollar invested than the "big business" that they demonize.
I agree, I missed a lot of expenses in my list. But I know that my grow op makes a higher ROI than my apartment rentals do, even after all expenses.
There are also repairs that need to be made on property that need to be added to the cost of the grow, but not totally (unless the property is only used for growing and not living) associated with the grow. If you put a roof on the house you live in and have a grow in the attic, what percent of the cost of the roof goes to the grow? I suppose you could use the square footage as a way to divide it up. Then you still have to divide it up by the life expectancy of the repair.

I think we agree on the major point of the thread, I just keep hearing people bitching about the evil corporations, when they do not take the time to really think about it. It is more of a knee jerk reaction, and I was just trying to get people to think about it as it applies to a business that they know a little more intimately.:wave:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
My point was that there are a lot of people on here and around the country that demonize big business for the amount of money they make, ex. oil and insurance companies, when they make far more on every dollar invested than the "big business" that they demonize.

If the little guy made far more, we wouldn't have 1920s income disparity.

I agree, I missed a lot of expenses in my list. But I know that my grow op makes a higher ROI than my apartment rentals do, even after all expenses.
There are also repairs that need to be made on property that need to be added to the cost of the grow, but not totally (unless the property is only used for growing and not living) associated with the grow.
Good point. We never dealt with this kind of circumstance. If we had, existing accounting law/practices would have determined how we formulated cost and booked potential profit.

If you put a roof on the house you live in and have a grow in the attic, what percent of the cost of the roof goes to the grow? I suppose you could use the square footage as a way to divide it up. Then you still have to divide it up by the life expectancy of the repair.
In business, laws and accounting practices would determine cost formulas and percentages. If it's a grow house only, 100%. You might can't grow at all if your roof leaks on growing infrastructure. To be honest, I wasn't the guy that determined amortization periods and amounts. But you could estimate the life of the repaired roof in years and divide by the estimated product harvested over that time. A typical, residential asphalt shingle roof might last 25 years. But obviously IRS didn't allow us to amortize for decades.

For example, you could re roof a house for $8 grand. If you grew 10 pounds of weed a year (250 pounds in 25 years) your cost per pound increase was ~$32. Maybe you can't wait 25 years for a return on your investment? That's where existing law determined how long we could amortize capital expenditures.

I think we agree on the major point of the thread, I just keep hearing people bitching about the evil corporations, when they do not take the time to really think about it. It is more of a knee jerk reaction, and I was just trying to get people to think about it as it applies to a business that they know a little more intimately.:wave:
Agreed. We have objective thinkers and purely subjective ones on both sides.

Last edited:

ibjamming

Veteran
There are also repairs that need to be made on property that need to be added to the cost of the grow, but not totally (unless the property is only used for growing and not living) associated with the grow. If you put a roof on the house you live in and have a grow in the attic, what percent of the cost of the roof goes to the grow? I suppose you could use the square footage as a way to divide it up. Then you still have to divide it up by the life expectancy of the repair.

You make more growing because it's "black market"...even in a med state since the feds say no way!

If federally it became LEGAL...you wouldn't get a dime for a dime bag. Weed would be EVERYWHERE. Everyone would have a few plants in their garden. Kids would overgrow the whole town. EVERY vacant lot would be full of weed.

Nobody is going to pay hundreds an once for something they can do themselves in the back yard. It's NOT like making your own alcohol...beer, wine, they take time AND work. In S Cal you can plant a seed outside and just water it like the rest of your outdoor plants...and at the end of the year...you're going to have some dank bud. ANY market would be limited to northern states where people probably wouldn't want the hassle of an indoor grow.

Big business is bad because it takes over. It monopolizes. And eventually, it becomes your government too.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Well I say the whole problem is the stock market. It's the devil hiding in the details allowing people to make money off of other people's efforts. Once a company starts selling itself there it is obligated to the shareholders to do whtever it takes to make them money. Of course the people who run the company want to still make money too and in this way we eventually get companies that care only for the bottomline which is what leads to outsourcing. There are two ways to make more money, one is to raise prices the other is to lower costs. The consumer has already been pushed to the edge of what he/she can bare so raising prices is not a good option. This leaves us with lowering costs to produce which mainly means finding cheaper labor because few if any large corporations get to be large using older less efficient equipment.

The company could also consider lowering exective salaries but then if you aren't getting rich what's the point in being in business? Likewise if the company had to pay less to shareholders they could improve the bottomline but what's the point in investing if you're not going to make money from it?

That's the solution though, do away with the stock market, do away with the ability for people to make it and profit in this world without having ever done the actual work those profits come from. Do away with the ability for companies to make it in this world even though they don't have enough money to start up. Make everyone go back to the old ways of profiting by the sweat of one's brow from a day of honest hard work. Back to the days when companies only become big by doing well and then reinvesting in itself.

That's the solution though, do away with the stock market,

Do you really believe that privately owned companies are any less motivated by profit than those that are listed on a stock exchange?

If you do, I think that you are profoundly wrong.

If you are a Communist in favor of abolishing private property, just go to China. Oh wait... even the Chinese have a stock market now. Maybe North Korea.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
You make more growing because it's "black market"...even in a med state since the feds say no way!

Exactly. It's hard to determine proper price when you have little more than established market value and product quality. IMO, legalization will bring guidelines that regulate (oops I said a dirty word) pricing.

If federally it became LEGAL...you wouldn't get a dime for a dime bag. Weed would be EVERYWHERE. Everyone would have a few plants in their garden. Kids would overgrow the whole town. EVERY vacant lot would be full of weed.
Price and demand, my friend. Tomatoes are relatively expensive compared to other general produce. If tomatoes were "EVERYWHERE", the price per pound would plummet. Long before tomatoes sell for 10 cents each, growers for profit would leave the tomato biz in droves. No different with weed.

Nobody is going to pay hundreds an once for something they can do themselves in the back yard.
So? I don't pay for tomatoes, I grow them.

It's NOT like making your own alcohol...beer, wine, they take time AND work. In S Cal you can plant a seed outside and just water it like the rest of your outdoor plants...and at the end of the year...you're going to have some dank bud. ANY market would be limited to northern states where people probably wouldn't want the hassle of an indoor grow.
Maybe. But I know southerners that couldn't grow squat. They'll have to buy just like northerners.

Big business is bad because it takes over. It monopolizes. And eventually, it becomes your government too.
It's hard to logically debate when you subjectively generalize. Any examples to backup what you say?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Do you really believe that privately owned companies are any less motivated by profit than those that are listed on a stock exchange?

If you do, I think that you are profoundly wrong.

If you are a Communist in favor of abolishing private property, just go to China.

I didn't say they were less motivated but if they don't have a whole shitload of shareholders to appease then they need less profit to be happy then a company with a whole bunch of shareholders to satisfy as well.

As for private property I'm all in favor of that it's this notion of private entities being publically traded that I oppose.