What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What did you get for Christmas?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Garum... ancient Roman product from salted fish left to ferment in the heat for 6-8 months. The digestive enzymes/bacteria/yeasts in the fish guts liquefy the flesh of the fish. Straining the solids out leaves the glutamic and amino acids in a liquid suspension. Essentially the liquid flavor of the fish. It was very popular. The closest product to it on the market today is Red Boat brand Fish Sauce, which is a fermented/salted fish sauce.

I'm doing the same thing, only I'm doing it with rabbit. ;)

These types of sauces are best when used in dishes with a variety of flavors to begin with. The glutamic and amino acids bond with the other flavors and add the 'wow' factor you would get with a really high quality soy sauce. (or red boat fish sauce. heh)

exoticrobotic

I will be joining you next year with my own fermented soy sauce.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 07.50.03.png

Apparently it takes a year to brew

Red Boat brand Fish Sauce

😋

shithawk420

Veteran
6 to 8 months in the heat? whats the difference between the way asians do it? sorry for all the questions and this probably isnt the right place for this. I never thought of doing this with a mammal. just gonna let the rabbit meat turn to goo huh? Where the hell did you learn this? doesnt sound asian. gotta be european. I have never heard of fermenting mammals. Im actually almost shocked. I would love to see pics or at least a written log of this. How many times have you done this before? damn when you think you know it all

exoticrobotic

I'm doing the same thing, only I'm doing it with rabbit. ;)

I'm worried about me fermenting soy beans for a year, keeping the bad bugs at bay.

I've eaten potted rabbit and rabbit stew and it was amazing but never fermented rabbit.

Will you pack the rabbit tightly to exclude air and how will you ferment it?

How would you stop the cadaverous compounds and bugs like e coli/salmonella and botulism from forming?

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm worried about me fermenting soy beans for a year, keeping the bad bugs at bay.

I've eaten potted rabbit and rabbit stew and it was amazing but never fermented rabbit.

Will you pack the rabbit tightly to exclude air and how will you ferment it?

How would you stop the cadaverous compounds and bugs like e coli/salmonella and botulism from forming?
Yeah this what I wanna know.my knowledge of this is very small.gotta be in a pot underground with certain spices and liquids I guess.something like this.very interesting indeed. Really not much room for error either lol only thing I can think of is salt and vinegars.im stumped for the moment.needs it's own thread