What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what BANDS have you seen?

Lotto

No particular order:
Johnny Winter, many times
Todd Rundgren, many times
Edgar Winter and Rick Derringer
Mountain
Ten Years After
Fleetwood Mac, before Stevie Nicks, the real band
Humble Pie
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Procol Harum
Dead, many times
Pink Floyd, once was enough, wow
The Faces
Many more, these just stand out.
Only regret was not seeing Cream.
Gotta say the best concert was Floyd.
There's a story behind every concert, sometimes many stories.

White Beard

Expanding “bands” to include solo artists:
The Beach Boys, The Astronauts, The Allman Brothers, Santana, Captain Beyond, Doug Kershaw, Gino Vanelli, Leo Sayer, Keith Jarrett, Kitaro, Spirit, Little Feat, The Youngbloods, Genesis, Yes, David Bowie, Steeleye Span, The Vapors, The Pretenders, The Tubes, The Amboy Dukes, Cream, The Terry Reid Group, the Moody Blues, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Leon Russell, Bonnie Raitt, The Police, The Vapors, Klain Doldinger and Passport, Jethro Tull, Leon Redbone, Howling Wolf, Bruce Springsteen, John Mayall, Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Renaissance, U2, Jan Hammer Group with Jeff Beck, Todd Rundgren and Utopia, Devo, The Producers, The Grateful Dead, Chicago Transit Authority, Delaney & Bonnie and Friends, Herman’s Hermits, Robin Trower, Sarah McLaughlin, Sheryl Crow, Joe Jackson, The Boomtown Rats, Billy Cobham, Papa John Creach, Grand Funk Railroad, The Dixie Dregs, The Chieftains, Johnny Rivers, Prince, Patti Smith, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark....

Certainly more than that, not counting a ton of local bands only locals ever heard of.

White Beard

Worst concert experience hands down, wanted to see ZZ Top.
Some band I never heard of called Kiss opened for them.
ZZ Top delivered well.

Worst concert experience? Keith Jarrett. He must have *hated* something about the situation, he played virtually nothing. Sat shaking his head, walking back and forth, staring at the piano...his sidemen (Charlie Hayden and Paul Motian, IIRC) just sat there watching him.

90 minutes of ‘WTF am I here?’

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Lots. Pre-Covid, we travelled to see bands. We had almost 7k in tickets we couldn't use :( I mourned our San Diego tickets to the Stones for a long time. But the best weekend was Desert Trip in Indio California.

Friday October 7, 14
Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones

Saturday October 8, 15
Neil Young, Paul McCartney

Sunday October 9, 16
The Who, Roger Waters

Dilan sucked more than the $10 baby ice cream cones.

I never really liked the Who, but after seeing them I realized I just wasn't listening to them loud enough. Wow.... just wow.

White Beard

Lots. Pre-Covid, we travelled to see bands. We had almost 7k in tickets we couldn't use :( I mourned our San Diego tickets to the Stones for a long time. But the best weekend was Desert Trip in Indio California.

Friday October 7, 14

Saturday October 8, 15

Sunday October 9, 16
The Who, Roger Waters

I never really liked the Who, but after seeing them I realized I just wasn't listening to them loud enough. Wow.... just wow.
Was that this in ‘20? I would have loved to have seen the Stones, Dylan, and The Who when they were alive...but I’ve been to a ‘Back From The Dead’ show (Moody Blues), and...I’ll keep my memories from when *I* was alive intact.

Young, McCartney, Waters, OTOH - still musically alive, would definitely catch them...ticket prices permitting.

White Beard

Mountain, Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steppenwolf, Golden Earing, Blue Oyster Cult, Opeth, Dream Theater, Todd Rundgren, Leslie West and the Wild West Show, Yes, Jethro Tull, Frank Zappa, ZZ Top, Allman Brothers, Porcupine Tree, Bentmen, The Who, Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, Willy Nelson, Mahogany Rush, Beck Bogart and Appice, Billy Cobham, Blackfield, Roxy Music, Cactus, Camel, Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Deep Purple, Richie Blackmores Rainbow, Eagles, Steely Dan, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Gov't Mule, The Tubes, Grand Funk Railroad, Joe Walsh, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Johnny Winter, Kansas, Metallica, Nashville Pussy, Nervous Eaters, Aerosmith, J Geils Band, Procol Harum, Robin Trower, Roy Buchanan, Sam Black Church, Santana, The Strawbs, Supertramp, Tony Levin, Traffic, and Probably dozens more that can't get thru the resinated brain cells for me to remember. Growing up in New England was just growing , smoking, and going to concerts
We have a lot of overlap...but I really envy some of the shows you’ve seen!
I feel they should get a lot more recognition from the current generation considering all they’ve contributed to the culture of cannabis and cannabis growers
Plenty respect for ‘em in the circles I run...many of my friends met each other in the parking lot outside Dead shows
Holy crap - None of you guys saw Emerson Lake and Palmer?
Honestly...I don’t remember. I know I camped out with a friend to score tix for the Brain Salad tour...but I have no idea if I saw it.
I think the loudest concert I ever attended with the Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon theater in New York City in the early 90s the sound level was so extreme you could feel the waves like a wind emanating through your body...ouch
Grand Funk Railroad. So loud it was impossible to tell what they were playing until we were in the car two blocks away...really unpleasant experience.

GFR was the “headliner”, but I didn’t stay to see them, I was there for the opening act: Fleetwood Mac - the original...their legendary ‘69-‘70 tour. Absolutely one of the best shows I ever saw. By the time we left, more than half the audience was on the way out...most of them had come to see GFR, had never heard of Fleetwood Mac, but like this one guy I overheard in the bathroom said, “I came to see Grand Funk, but they can’t POSSIBLY top that - we’re heading out!”
I am so sick of my own life at home movie I need a vacation we are at each other’s throat’s
Totally feel you, man - spend my days making a point of not flipping right the fuck out....
Bowie - Roxy Music - The Manhattan Transfer - Kilburn and the Highroads (Ian Dury) - Blockheads - Kursaal Flyers - Slade - Eddie and the Hot-Rods - Dr Feelgood - The 101'ers - The Sex Pistols - The Damned - The Clash - Chelsea - The Ramones - The Flaming Groovies - The Stranglers - The Adverts - Sham 69 - The Flowers of Romance - Siouxie and the Banshee's - Generation X(with Billy Idol) - Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers - The Buzzcocks - Big Youth - Dennis Brown - Steel Pulse - Aswad - Augustus Pablo - Dave Edmonds - Elvis Costello - The Nipple Erectors - 999 - The Jam - The Tubes - The Dead Kennedy's - The Avengers - The Dils - Black Flag - The Screamers - The Mutants - Crime - Madness - The Pretenders - The Specials - R.E.O. Speedwagon - Ted Nugent - Levi and the Rockats - George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Richard Hell - Tom Verlain + Television - Wayne County - The Off's - The Nun's - The Sleepers - Blondie - The Go-Go's - The Street Punks - Mink DeVille - The Runaways - The Zeros - Pearl Harbour and the Explosions - Tuxedomoon - (so many other bands from The Mabuhay Gardens and The Deaf Club in San Francisco - where I worked at the door on and off for a few years ) - Huey Lewis and the News - Joe Jackson - Aerosmith - AC/DC - I'm only up to 1982 and already must have forgot a few - more to come - (some of these bands I saw many times - did a lot of roadie/security work on tour with some of them -) - worked for Bill Graham's Event Security at Monsters of Rock Festivals in the USA -
GYPSY! That’s an amazing roster - would’ve given a lot to’ve seen Madness & the Jam...Paul Weller fan for life....
The Adverts - they did “Pure Mania”, yes?

Tower of Power
Charlie Musselwhite
Steve Miller Band
Kronos Quartet
Quicksilver Messinger Service (@ Fillmore West)
Jeff Beck
Steely Dan
Bands I would have loved to have seen, real standouts!
One unforgetable concert was following, I copy and paste it from the Clash Thread,:!

Madness came on stage and 2000 Skinheads shouted Sieg Heil and made the Nazi greeting with the right arm. I really was shocked. In Germany unbelievable. The Two Tone movement was anti racistic and the right wing Skins took Madness as their most favorite Band.
After the gig, we hang around at the back door with a lot of Skins, I have to confess, the difference between Skins and Punks wasn´t clear to me at all in that time. Everything was allright, Madness and their girls came out, gave autographs, talked a little, no bodyguards. And than the skins saw the badges of my friend and me, The Clash, Bob Marley, Reggae, IRA, RAF and so on. In that moment we had to run, fast as we could to the next subway,...
Hell of a story, Herman! Drew a bright line between the Punks and Skins, I’m guessing. When I was living there, the occasional NSDAP scrawl or poster would give me a gasp. Glad you and your friends escaped unharmed!

I went to this one with 2 friends in ones Cortina GT, drove from London and got the ferry over.
I remember we had chicken and chips with beers before walking over a field to get to it, cost nothing.
Saw The Move, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Jefferson Airplane and Arthur Brown who went off, while the band played instrumental which was excellent. Found out after it was Vincent Crane (hammond organ) and Carl Palmer (drums) who went on to be in Atomic Rooster. Then Emerson Lake and Palmer , Asia
Lucky man!!! Talk about legendary...Tyrannosaurus Rex...I picked up a copy of Unicorn just for curiosity, fell completely in love with it - to have seen the LIVE...wow. Can say the same about the Airplane, too. Great days!
I was 15, so was he, excellent.

HARMONICA!
Little Stevie Wonder...he hit HUGE, and then lived up to his potential. A real treasure to have seen him in early days!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Was that this in ‘20? I would have loved to have seen the Stones, Dylan, and The Who when they were alive...but I’ve been to a ‘Back From The Dead’ show (Moody Blues), and...I’ll keep my memories from when *I* was alive intact.

Young, McCartney, Waters, OTOH - still musically alive, would definitely catch them...ticket prices permitting.

Desert Trip was in 2016
https://deserttrip.com/
Young was amazing and handed out seeds for everyone to break the law. lol

[iframe1]oaxa37nfuLg[/iframe1]

San Diego was in '20.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Worst concert experience? Keith Jarrett. He must have *hated* something about the situation, he played virtually nothing. Sat shaking his head, walking back and forth, staring at the piano...his sidemen (Charlie Hayden and Paul Motian, IIRC) just sat there watching him.

90 minutes of ‘WTF am I here?’

I have Keith on disc. Maybe he was zoning out. Like his music, yet concert like you described....naw.

Veggia farmer

Friday October 7, 14

Saturday October 8, 15

Sunday October 9, 16
The Who, Roger Waters

SPOT ON with the Who! haha, True story, I have accountered the Who playing on low volume on the stereo and thinking, this is not so cool... BUT then I remember me and a friend sitting in my basement singing like mad dogs for the neighbourhood. Aaaahh... Loud... Yes indeed!

FletchF.Fletch

420club
On the list of Artists/Bands still to be seen, I would have to say Sade is at the top of my list. I have a concert dvd that is proof positive She puts on an Incredible show.

Also want to see Jamiroquai.

St. Phatty

Long time ago ... Doobie Brothers.

Medium long time ago ... worked security at a Foreigner concert in Stockton.

Does Tenacious D count ?

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Might be going to a Lady Gaga concert here in Boston in August. Will keep you posted. Def Leppard was too expensive

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have seen Bob Dylan several times. Each time was epic.

Saw Bruce Springsteen at the Orange Bowl Stadium for the Born in the USA concert. Bumper to bumper traffic down 95 from Ft Lauderdale to the Orange Bowl

REO Speedwagon at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater

Listened to the Allman Brothers as previous

Yanni twice
Frank Sinatra in Ft Lauderdale..had 3nd row behind the mob
Moody Blues twice
Some giant concert Watkins Glen was supposed to be more attended then Woodstock, I never left the van selling blotter to the masses then split as it was mostly mud and I just wasn't tripping in the mud
More.....

White Beard

Have seen Bob Dylan several times. Each time was epic.

Saw Bruce Springsteen at the Orange Bowl Stadium for the Born in the USA concert. Bumper to bumper traffic down 95 from Ft Lauderdale to the Orange Bowl

REO Speedwagon at the Pompano Beach Amphitheater

Listened to the Allman Brothers as previous

Yanni twice
Frank Sinatra in Ft Lauderdale..had 3nd row behind the mob
Moody Blues twice
Some giant concert Watkins Glen was supposed to be more attended then Woodstock, I never left the van selling blotter to the masses then split as it was mostly mud and I just wasn't tripping in the mud
More.....

I would really have liked to see REO. I always thought they were the best of the bands at that time. Frankly, IMO Boston, Foreigner, Toto, Kansas, Journey, Styx were all just working the same groove, and too hard, to boot. REO Speedwagon really stood out from the pack for me, I thought they were worth much more attention

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	Santana Ticket - Aloha Stadium a.jpg Views:	6 Size:	175.7 KB ID:	18098755
It was a warm fall evening at Aloha Stadium with mild Kona winds. I had scored some sticky strawberry hash buds from a grower I knew on the north shore, and one of my concert buddies that I went to school with had just received a care package in the mail from his sister in Alexandria Egypt. She sent him an ounce of cherry flavored black hash. We had prepared huge fatties of the two blended together, and lit one of them up at the beginning of Oye Coma Va.......:smokey:........ epic !!!

RMS

:smoweed: