What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what BANDS have you seen?

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
The second concert of my lifetime was in 1977 I think, it was with 3000 people in our town hall and it was a Beatles Revival Band, which had the same name. :D

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
One unforgetable concert was following, I copy and paste it from the Clash Thread,:

But my best story is, December 1980. My bro, a friend, who is on the pic, left of me was in London in the Palace Regent Hotel, near Picadilly Circus. We saw that there is a concert with Madness at the Hammersmith Palais. We wanted to see the show around 5 o clock in the afternoon. Armed with a one liter bottle of Pernod. The gig was sold out, we bought tickets for the later show. And as you do it with 15-16, little bit drunk, we climbed the roof of the Hammersmith Palais and drank our Pernod, around us the lights of great London. London was burning. From a hole in a window on the roof, we could see a little bit. I never forget this in my whole life. Than we went in, first Band i forgot, 2nd was Ten Pole Tudor. I was so naiv and shouted they shall play some Pistols Songs. Was knowing the songs from Rock n Roll Swindle and thought they are a Pistols Cover Band and than came the

SHOCK!

Madness came on stage and 2000 Skinheads shouted Sieg Heil and made the Nazi greeting with the right arm. I really was shocked. In Germany unbelievable. The Two Tone movement was anti racistic and the right wing Skins took Madness as their most favorite Band.
After the gig, we hang around at the back door with a lot of Skins, I have to confess, the difference between Skins and Punks wasn´t clear to me at all in that time. Everything was allright, Madness and their girls came out, gave autographs, talked a little, no bodyguards. And than the skins saw the badges of my friend and me, The Clash, Bob Marley, Reggae, IRA, RAF and so on. In that moment we had to run, fast as we could to the next subway,...

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Not long later, in spring 1981, I was in West Berlin and saw, that the Damned are playing a gig this evening. I went there, as a young punk from the province and saw all the "real" big city Punks. Huu, dangerous guys ;-)
The fun was, that Dave Vanian the singer was on LSD and was running around like crazy in the crowd/audience, with his Dracula or black clothes style. But no problem, Captain Sensible (bass) sang all songs perfectly. :D

Once, I was standing stoned on a Anthrax concert, bang! something wet was flying in my face and it was the sweatband (wrist) of the leadsinger. Dozens of shouting teen girls around me, in a second, and they all wanted the sweatband.

Cactus Wes

*\/* SLAYER *\/*

*\/* SLAYER *\/*

Slayer's farewell tour headlining Heavy Montreal
Last Mosh Pit before the rapture.
Tom Araya knew The End Was Near.

:headbange :hotbounce SLAYER :hotbounce :headbange

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
:hotbounce

picture.php

Cloneman

Veteran
I'll start with the 60's

I saw Cream at The Manor House pub in north London 1967 aged 16, what i remember was the energy, like there was 6 of them. I stood on a chair watching and was blown away with it all...

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll start with the 60's

I saw Cream at The Manor House pub in north London 1967 aged 16, what i remember was the energy, like there was 6 of them. I stood on a chair watching and was blown away with it all...

Impressive!
picture.php

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I'm gonna attempt to get this list as close to complete as possible. Starting in order but that will not last more than a few bands into the list.

To start with several local punk and metals bands when I was a teenager, then.... ELO, Kansas, grateful dead, sepultura, danzig, ozzy, Roger waters, the other ones, the dead, ratdog, Phil and friends, further, billy and the kids, dead and company, the wolf brothers, ghostland observatory, sound tribe sector 9, ween, ike willis with project object, zappa plays zappa, disco biscuits, string cheese incident, bassnectar, shpongle, ott, allman brothers, keller williams, thievery corporation, big gigantic, amon tobins isam, eoto, billy strings, jrad, Dave mathews,

My local favorite and friends, sprout and the orange, barbarossa bros, ray torez band and hellbound drifters.

Probably no less than 100 random bands I checked out for a song or so at music festivals before making my way to another stage to see something different.

Ok. Drawing a blank..... Gonna smoke one and look at some festival lineups to jog the memory.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I'm gonna attempt to get this list as close to complete as possible. Starting in order but that will not last more than a few bands into the list.

To start with several local punk and metals bands when I was a teenager, then.... ELO, Kansas, grateful dead, sepultura, danzig, ozzy, Roger waters, the other ones, the dead, ratdog, Phil and friends, further, billy and the kids, dead and company, the wolf brothers, ghostland observatory, sound tribe sector 9, ween, ike willis with project object, zappa plays zappa, disco biscuits, string cheese incident, bassnectar, shpongle, ott, allman brothers, keller williams, thievery corporation, big gigantic, amon tobins isam, eoto, billy strings, jrad, Dave mathews,

My local favorite and friends, sprout and the orange, barbarossa bros, ray torez band and hellbound drifters.

Probably no less than 100 random bands I checked out for a song or so at music festivals before making my way to another stage to see something different.

Ok. Drawing a blank..... Gonna smoke one and look at some festival lineups to jog the memory.

Steel Pulse, ziggy, damian, stephen and rita marley, toots, inner circle, carlos santana, the wailers, john brown's body, zen tricksters, credence clearwater revisited, the moody blues, the spin doctors, phish, Brit floyd........

Still a few I am not thinking of

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I would have to say I have seen Bob Weir on stage more times than any other individual performer. Not including my friends bands.

Attachments

• DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 32

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
It´s funny with this thread, it brings back some memorys to me. I totally forgot, that I saw Grandmaster Flash and Kurtis Blow, but it was not as they were on there peak.

Another amazing concert was on the Island Mallorca, there I saw the Heroes del Silencio in the Plaza del Toros, it was a spanish band. For the non europeans, you can find in every city in Spain a bullring. I was driving with a rental car from the east side to the westside of the island, without knowing where to find the back rear.

Once (1990) in New York, in uptown Manhattan, close to Harlem I was in a hip hop concert, a smaller one but the fun was, I was the only white guy!

What belongs to hip hop, in 1987 or 88, I saw Run DMC, Public Enemy, Derek B..

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
It´s funny with this thread, it brings back some memorys to me.

You are not alone. I remembered a music fest in a farmer's field in 1971 and some guy wandering up the hill through the crowd: "LSD 25 buck a hit. . . . LSD 25 buck a hit . . ." (That's $1 btw)

And yeah, I bought one. :ying:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
They said it was LSD but I think it was more a kind of extasy? I saw PIL, Public Image Limited in Hamburg on it in the late 80s.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Haven't been to a concert in quite a while now - the last memorable one was David Gilmore (from Pink Floyd) - at The Royal Albert Hall - in London and Bon Jovi at Wembley - some years ago - which were excellent - since then did a Glastonbury Festival or two - big change from back in the 70's - when I might go to a gig every night -

- not so comfortable in crowds these days - if we are even allowed to make crowds anymore with all these Covid restrictions and paranoia around -

Cloneman

Veteran
First Isle of White festival 1968

First Isle of White festival 1968

I went to this one with 2 friends in ones Cortina GT, drove from London and got the ferry over.
I remember we had chicken and chips with beers before walking over a field to get to it, cost nothing.
Saw The Move, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Jefferson Airplane and Arthur Brown who went off, while the band played instrumental which was excellent. Found out after it was Vincent Crane (hammond organ) and Carl Palmer (drums) who went on to be in Atomic Rooster. Then Emerson Lake and Palmer , Asia

Brother Nature

Man so many people here have seen some great concerts. I always wished I was older enough to see the older Pink Floyd concerts, along with the Dead when Pigpen was still around. In response to D.B. (sorry I couldn't find the post to quote) yeah Dylan was a great first concert to smoke at, I've seen him quite a few times since and even down here in NZ, he used to pop down every few years for concerts at some really random places. Pretty cool for a star of his caliber to not only play big venues. The Allman Brothers is another I always wish I was around for.

The three most memorable shows I've ever seen were all strangely metal bands. The first being a New Zealand band, Beastwars, they're more than amazing live. Second, was a Belgian band, Amenra, hard to describe the sound other than heavy and visceral, but one of my current favorites. And the final was Tool, pretty hard to beat how tight and cohesive they play together. MF DOOM comes in as an almost third, but his DJ on the tour let him down. Prince was another very memorable performance, just him and a piano was a pretty special experience (given the price), sadly he passed shortly after his performance down here.

Latest posts

Latest posts