What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you listening to? II

@peace

Tokyo Police Club "Ready to Win"
Rural Alberta Advantage "Tornado 87"
Japandroids "House that Heaven Built"

Awesome thread everyone! I couldn't help but plug some Canadians.

Gry

Veteran
Had to put on the album, and it has had the effect of a time machine this evening...

moose eater

Brings back the memories... takes me be back to the days of WGTB.

Went to see Genesis in about 1976 at Grand Valley State College in SW Michigan. They were doing the 'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' tour.

Found free joints and other goodies on the floor of the main walkway on our way in, and I thought, "This is too good to be true. It must be a set-up" and I already had a fairly well-established juvenile record at that time. So, I very (way too) conspicuously, and while very high, eating some PCP tabs and already having been smoking a fair bit of Colombian, bent over, looking this way and that, as if to announce in neon that I was engaged in criminal activity, and picked up the dropped party favors.... with no consequences, much to my pleasure.

Great concert, though one of my friend's taillight bulbs burned out, and we agreed that I would stay on his tail as we left the concert (lots of cops at concerts), but he took off too rapidly from a red light I was behind him at, and a cop pulled in behind him, ahead of me, and pulled him over.

For a moment I almost surrendered to impulse and would've stopped WITH him and the cop (stupid stoner moment), but then decided that one bust (should his stop turn out badly, and he was as high as I was) was far better than 2 busts, so we quickly and democratically decided to not stare as we passed them, and to keep .... on.... going. So, we did. And he made it home safely later that night with little more than a repair ticket for the bulb.

The concert was filled with lots of props and effects that were ripe for a good acid trip. A giant tube descended from the3 auditorium ceiling, and Peter Gabriel crawled out of it with some weird outfit and what looked like a giant wart for a head or something.

To be 16, 17, 18 years old again, with no real limits, and a naive belief that all things were possible in time.

Last edited:

moose eater

REO Speedwagon - Roll with the Changes

Saw REO maybe 6 or 7 times as a youngster, in many different settings, whether with Kevin Cronin or Mike Murphy as vocalists. Mike Murphy was lead vocals at the Lowell Showboat in Lowell Michigan, when REO was doing a split show with Blue Oyster Cult, and the show got rained out after REO's performance, leading to the crowd rioting and attacking the Lowell PD building. But Mike Murphy was offered a drag on my last joint of Colombian Gold, as Gary Richrath cranked out a guitar solo..... but he instead kept it, and walked away form our piece of the stage, never to return. Was a good joint, too! Bastard!

Maybe a Speakers Corner cut, per the lyrics, but a favorite of mine (of theirs) since the early 1970s.

R.E.O Speedwagon - (Golden Country) Check it out! Gary eats frets for breakfast - YouTube

And one with Mike Murphy:

R.E.O. Speedwagon - Without Expression - YouTube

Mike Murphy was struck by a car about a year and a half ago. He was recovering and working through rehab at that time.