What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

moose eater

Yesterday I made about 2-5/8 gallons of spicy Tex-Mex chili, with over a gallon of a rich dark mole sauce as the primary chili sauce, and a whole bunch of different sweet and hot peppers, red onions, a couple cans of tomato sauce, etc.. Pretty intense chili, but very tasty, for which my wife made some good corn bread in a skillet in the oven.

Almost 4/5 of which will be frozen. It's intended for the trip into the bush in a couple weeks, but there's been ample 'testing' to excess.

Today I prepared just shy of 2-gallons of awesome dark chicken, andouille sausage, and wild-caught Patagonia shrimp jambalaya for the same trip, with ample sweet peppers, lots of red onion, some hot peppers, celery, lots of thyme leaf and oregano, as well as cayenne pepper and a bit of white pepper, and some canned diced tomatoes, with a short-grain brown rice base (made in a thick chicken stock).

Also in the process of taste testing currently (HELP!!!), and we are finished with that prep earlier than the night before's chili adventure.

Need to make room in the larger upright freezer, or light up a second freezer now.

For now the enclosed back deck is cold enough to provide cold storage to freeze it all, but there'll need to be more room made, despite giving close to a half-gallon of the chili to my older son last night late.

Still need to smoke 4 racks of ribs with a dry rub, 2 of which will be for the bush, make about 16 or so (bison) Cornish pasties, and a couple homemade plant-based sausage, mushroom, onion, stuffed green olive, and jalapeno, with goat cheese, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella pizzas, with whole wheat New York style crusts, to slice into 1/8-pie size slices, wrap and freeze for the bush as well.

Don't want to get hungry ice fishing. :)

moose eater

so, you're not gonna smoke out on the ice? or, you're gonna eat so much the munchies can't strike... :tiphat:
I intend to do plenty of smoking on the ice. Just not food. Drinking of choice beverages, as well. :)

There was a fellow out there one year who wanted to prove he could smoke lake trout in nearly any type of homemade smoker, and we were relatively remote at the time (the cabins are about 17 miles of trail into the lakes and mountains from a remote spot off a dirt road in a National Park and Preserve, and were there long before the Feds put the Park and Preserve status into place; some of them were built back in the early 1950s).

The young man, bragged upon by his compadres for his smoking abilities, took a cardboard box and inverted it on top of a metal table out by the lake shore, and placed a burner plate of some sort beneath it, on top of the table surface, to hold his fire, safely distanced from the cardboard, and smoked some very tasty lake trout in that box.

I was truly impressed. And they were -tasty-!!

But the most cooking we typically have done in the past, was when a friend from the Yukon Territory would take my pre-baked Cornish moose pasties (wrapped in aluminum foil) in a camp-size stock pot, with balls of tin foil wadded up in the bottom of the stock pot to provide a buffer between the bottom of the pot and the intense heat from his single-burner camp stove, put a lid on the pot with 3-4 pasties stacked on top of the balls of aluminum foil, oriented about 90 degrees off from each other in the stack to provide better 'even heating', and we'd have hot/warm reheated moose pasties while we fished.

Typically we take pasties (bison, this year), smoked meats, snack foods, no-sugar chocolates/candies, etc., some hash and weed, some beers and seltzers, as well as canteens, a large coffee thermos, extra warm layering clothes, and parkas in case shit turns ugly, all in the freight and gear sleds in dry-bags, and, depending on the fishing, we might be gone from the cabin for 3-4 hours, or as long as most of the day.

We stoke the wood stove and shut it down air-tight via some tricks I've mastered with that specific wood stove over the years, so it'll smolder a LONG time, and we'll have a stove full of good, dry wood when we return, still smoldering nicely, with lots of hot coals, and a warm cabin, more often than not.
Unfortunate Lake Trout at Copper Lake Solo Trip.JPG

A medium-small to medium-size fat eater hen.

Last edited:

moose eater

Cornish pasties made with mostly 90% lean bison meat, and just a touch of 93% lean ground beef of decent quality. About 4/5 bison, though.

Increased the presence of the rutabega, sweet onion, carrot and pepper a bit. So there's more meat to potato in the ratio than would be traditional... and the exrta sweet onion and rutabega shine through nicely. And man, they're better this way. Awesome pasties.

Comfort foods of youth. Smells, tastes.... OH MAN!!!

Good thing I didn't eat much earlier today.

We'll be freezing 12 or 14 of them for the trip to the bush. Anything else is in danger of being devoured in short order.

moose eater

Just had a small slice of the low-glycemic, New York-style chocolate cheesecake my wife made for the trip.

Some questions about whether it actually makes it into the cooler for the trip.

Pretty damned tasty; especially with the heavy whipping cream and sour cream, vanilla extract, and slight amount of maple syrup in the topping. Very good, indeed.

Crust made from ground pecans, with coconut flour, almond flour, and butter to press it together. Mmm.

Older son's about 5 hours late getting here, so I guess we'll again be loading and prepping in the dark. Not a new phenomenon. In fact, a very old tradition. One which still bugs me a fair bit.

Oh well..

"And so it goes..".

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
One which still bugs me a fair bit.
ah, children. no matter how old they might get, still a pain in the ass...:dunno:
Some questions about whether it actually makes it into the cooler for the trip.
that was the first thought i had on the subject after reading your description...did you marry an executive chef from New York or someplace? i had a burnt hamburger (newspaper distracted me) and some Reeses Pieces for dessert...:frown:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
The pooch is pleased because he usually gets the last bite of each so no mustard is probably preferred for a species that can smell as well as they do.

I imagine sensitive noses don't like horseradish mustard... I think they're just powering through it because they want the meat.

Latest posts

Latest posts