What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Breakfast!
16772586685286908360025470156716.jpg

Cuddles

They're traditional sausages but are soaked in the red sweet syrup they put pork spare ribs in...it's very sweet. Don't think I'd buy again. Next time it's Sausage Guy sausages 👍 Check him out! I've eaten his product
Many years ago, my dad bought several types of sausages and some of them were ` french´ sausages! And you know, they were really good - as long as you enjoy spicy:p food! And no, they were not sewwt at all!
When we think of french food, sausages are the last thing on our mind but it maybe worth keeping an eye out for `french´ ones as well ;)

moose eater

Pre-cooked, flash cooled, golden spuds, grated into crispy fried hash brown potatoes, with one egg on top, over easy, dabbled with El Pato green jalapeno sauce.

20-oz. of green tea, 16 oz. of freshly ground French Roast beans made right with RO H2O at 195 degrees f., with a dash of 40% heavy whipping cream, and some RO H2O.

And it's SNOWING AGAIN!!! More work with the snowblower, then trying to get a trailer loaded with poly-drums ready to haul 170 gallons of #1 home heating oil from town later this afternoon, after the snow quits.. if it quits.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Those must've been some darn good hash browns @moose eater 👍 Went to Trader Joe's earlier, grabbed like $40 in food. They have great stuff. Don't forget their OJ if you like that. High, listening for anyone saying I'm smoking and trying to get me evicted while listening to baseball Braves at Red Sox. Women's hoops on, muted...

moose eater

Those must've been some darn good hash browns @moose eater 👍 Went to Trader Joe's earlier, grabbed like $40 in food. They have great stuff. Don't forget their OJ if you like that. High, listening for anyone saying I'm smoking and trying to get me evicted while listening to baseball Braves at Red Sox. Women's hoops on, muted...
Crispy fried in piping hot avocado oil in a cast iron skillet. Our more common frying oil lately. A satisfying, almost healthy breakfast.

Pigged out on the wild rice and short-grain brown rice stuffing from the duck last night, so a relatively small breakfast, which, though common most mornings, is all I could stand, even if I'd wanted more.

Need to work some of it off today.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Crispy fried in piping hot avocado oil in a cast iron skillet. Our more common frying oil lately. A satisfying, almost healthy breakfast.

Pigged out on the wild rice and short-grain brown rice stuffing from the duck last night, so a relatively small breakfast, which, though common most mornings, is all I could stand, even if I'd wanted more.

Need to work some of it off today.
Everyone keeps saying avocado oil! I'll have to get some. Duck! Oh man. Wild rice is good too. Keep living the dream man! 👍

moose eater

Everyone keeps saying avocado oil! I'll have to get some. Duck! Oh man. Wild rice is good too. Keep living the dream man! 👍
For some dishes the avocado oil is great because it has a relatively high flash or burn point, but doesn't impart the flavor that the virgin organic coconut oil leaves, though the Thai stir-fries, etc. are good with the coconut oil as a rule.

Sometimes the hash browns, too, but the classic crispy hash brown flavor is more in line with the avocado oil.

On the down side, the non-GMO avocado oil in a 2 liter jug at Costco is some place between $15 and $20 a jug up here. So we don't slather it on anything.

The extra virgin organic olive oil gets used for no-heat and low-heat applications like salad dressings, or marinades for the grill, etc., as olive oil produces toxins at higher heat.

moose eater

The beginnings of dry rub smoked pork back ribs is underway. Now for another <24 hours in the refrigerator brining in their own juices in the 'kitchen sink dry rub mix', and into the smoker mid-day tomorrow at relatively low heat of 225 f. to 235 f. for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, with hickory wood and apple wood. Maybe some alder wood, too.

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

moose eater

Are you waiting for a football team?🙂
I think it tastes super delicous!
They vanish in an embarassing amount of time.

To set some aside for the up-coming bush trip, I have to snag some, and wrap and freeze them early on, or they're gone too soon.

I've got another 3 racks of back ribs in the freezer, raw and unprocessed, in a cryo-pack, but my smoker likes 4 racks+ at a time.

The bulk packs I buy tend to come in sets of 3's, so I either need to open up more ribs and re-freeze a couple racks (not good for food safety), buy individual racks for more money/lb., or convince corporate America's wholesale stores to make them 4-packs rather than 3-packs. Which I doubt they'd accommodate very well.

Sometimes, to maximize the productivity and cost of the propane, wood, and smoking time/labor (same amount of energy, more or less, to smoke 1, 2, or 3 racks as to smoke 4), I might add a pork butt roast on the lower rack, so it stays a bit cooler, and after the ribs come out, the pork butt (in the same dry rub mix) goes in for a total of 8 to 10 (or more) hours of smoking.

All of it, once smoked, can be wrapped and frozen, or eaten intermitently.

At the hippie school in the Yukon Territory in the 1970s, we often cooked for at least 44 people, and after having a family and raising 3 kids, we continued making large amounts of food, and either eating our way through it, or freezing the left-overs. Either way, it minimized energy spent on the adventures in the kitchen, while still having good food on hand.

Though admittedly, a whole week of moose burritos or moose spaghetti sometimes got a little old for my kids, but they liked the stuff overall, and rarely complained about redundant meals

armedoldhippy

Veteran
complained about redundant meals
do you, personally, ever really get tired of eating moose? i understand you get "quite a bit of meat" off of a moose. i've heard of arguments about "who needed to eat their #$@% share" of the elk in the freezer . i've never had so much whitetail venison that i got tired of eating it. that would be like me saying at breakfast "bacon ? AGAIN? was the store out of vienna sausage or something?" :shucks:

Latest posts

Latest posts