What's new

What Are You Eating Right Now!!!

moose eater

do you, personally, ever really get tired of eating moose? i understand you get "quite a bit of meat" off of a moose. i've heard of arguments about "who needed to eat their #$@% share" of the elk in the freezer . i've never had so much whitetail venison that i got tired of eating it. that would be like me saying at breakfast "bacon ? AGAIN? was the store out of vienna sausage or something?" :shucks:
I grew a taste for properly handled, disease-free, clean moose meat (note the qualifying stipulations). I mean, a real taste. Like sometimes a craving.

I haven't had moose in the freezer now for most of 2 years, with the exception of some steaks and/or burger (can't recall) that a friend of my younger son's from up the hill brought over a couple seasons back;' so, I guess slightly less than a year and a half ago.

I've never gotten tired of moose meat. My kids were raised on far more moose meat than anything else, though they always had variety and then some.

When we were building the house and staying in a cabin without running water with 2 very young kids, on occasion, driving between the building site and the cabin, I'd 'accidentally' hang my rear differential on my older Toyota pick-up truck over the head of a grouse or 2 of one variety or another, when they'd be eating gravel in the roadway. That fine art-form of poaching would 'accidentally' coincide with the grouse('greese? j/k) unfortunately raising its head to -just- high enough for the rear differential to partially decapitate the bird(s), breaking their necks, while causing enough vacuum in the passing of the vehicle to half-way bleed the thing in a surprisingly effective manner.

This often ended up in Szechuan stir-fried hot spicy grouse in peanut and five-spice sauce.

One day my then 3-year old (or 4 maybe?) daughter, our oldest, asked me if we could have stir-fried grouse for dinner.. I was shocked!!

Roughed grouse is the pheasant of grouse, imo, tasty as they come. But back then, the majority of the grouse here were spruce hens, and they typically have a fairly distinct gamey flavor.... somewhat 'sprucey', and strong, literally.

So wild game grew on my kids.

For me, Sitka Blacktail deer, imported white tail from down south, or mule deer, or even properly handled bear meat, and especially moutain/Dall sheep (my all-time favorite), they're all good. nothing wrong with eating on them for life, as long as some fish and other items are sprinkled in on occasion. Muk Tuk I can do for quite a while and not tire of it, if properly handled.

Caribou I tired of after eating some in the 1970s in the Yukon Territory at the hippie school that someone had hung in a walk-in veggie cooler, and all 3 of those 'bou tasted like musty mildewed veggies smell, no matter how deeply you cut into a quarter to find a good steak. But I even got past that bad memory eventually. And have eaten a fair bit of bou since then.

A lot of it is being able to use any meat in a variety of conventional or unconventional receipes that you -like- with any type of meat, so it never becomes truly boring or too terrribly redundant.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
One day my then 3-year old (or 4 maybe?) daughter, our oldest, asked me if we could have stir-fried grouse
i wish i had been that lucky. neither of my boys would eat anything but chicken or beef/pork...and not all cuts of those. that did leave me with nearly all the venison jerky, tenderloin etc...:whistling: life is a bag of mixed blessings.:shucks:

moose eater

i wish i had been that lucky. neither of my boys would eat anything but chicken or beef/pork...and not all cuts of those. that did leave me with nearly all the venison jerky, tenderloin etc...:whistling: life is a bag of mixed blessings.:shucks:
If you raise them on it, and it's what they primarily know, then that's what they regard as 'normal' food. It's primarily a matter of acquired tastes, and sometimes those tastes transitioning into a sense of familiar 'comfort foods'.

A former friend in the bush raised his 2 children on, almost exclusively, wild game. The first time I sent out a half of a grain-fatted (and I mean -really- fucking fatted) angus beef in 2 quarters that I'd butchered with the Marine Corps vet I referenced in another post, who'd given me the antique cast iron sausage stuffer with the crackling insert, they thought it was weird. And we're talking about melt-in-your-mouth Grade AAA angus, with nicely feathered marbling like no one else's beef in that farming area, enough snow white suet on the outside to make handling without meat hooks nearly impossible for 3-4 of us relatively strong individuals, and ribeye steaks that literally covered a typical size dinner plate side to side. No shit.

When their mother became ill, and they'd already become accustomed to the fresh butchered local grain fed beef, they got more and more ready-made, microwavable, processed food from town; 'Dino Nuggets' (chicken nuggets in the shape of dinosaurs), etc. Things which had never really been in their freezers.

What ever the norm is tastes like home..

Last edited:

moose eater

Duck soup made with cabbage, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, peas, corn, green beaans and mushrooms... and duck, of course.

Really rich stuff, and for some reason, notably sweet, though no overt sweeteners were added. Hmm. Very tasty.

And just the right touch after a major snow removal effort, and strapping down fuel oil drums in the trailer, then re-tarping it. I'm whooped and full of duck soup..

Tomorrow will be the fuel oil run. Today would've been notably warmer, per the forecast, but we ran out of energy, light, business hours, and time. So tomorrow we'll bundle up a bit warmer, and likely go after the ribs are smoked. Which means I need to start the ribs smoking earlier in the day, as the fuel oil outlet will close at about 7:00 P.M. I think.

Smoker's dug out of the snow and ready for lighting tomorrow morning.. Rib pics to follow.

Now for a joint of White Lotus #1, which I've found to be a true creeper lately. Pretty nice, as well.

Reactions: Gry

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Just for fun, onions filled with baked beans🙂

FB_IMG_1677410735488.jpg

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Later i thought, if we had tiramisu either, it had been an axis remberence meal😃. (WW2)

I said to my wife, that I want the Gruenkohl with a chinese sausage, but she bought the same sausage as always😉

It was strange, before 3 month they forgot our salad in the sushi bar, today the guy said sorry for it. Strange that he was remebering it!?

SUSHI was 40 euros, close to dollars

moose eater

-10 f. when we got up this morning.

I've lit the smoker at above 0 f., but not sure we'll get there today.

Currently -5 f., and we're headed out to light the smoker.

Normally I'd light the propane as I'm putting the water tray, wood chips, and meat in, but today I want to light it ahead of time and see if it can hold temperature, otherwise the digital electric smoker is better insulated, and might work a bit better.

The propane smoker puts out better smoke and more moist meat, but is more susceptible to the wind (which we have some of today), and it isn't insulated. On the bright side, if it can keep up with the outside temperature, it'll be by virtue of it burning hotter on the cast iron wood chip plate, thus producing more smoke.

moose eater

Smokers make amazing meats...had bratwurst and I think brisket or something in a smoker a few months ago and it was pretty darn good. Do some duck in there @moose eater 👍
We thought about smoking a duck the other day, to fill out this load in the smoker, though for food safety reasons, I would've wanted to brine the thing over night in a slight salt brine in a small cooler.

As it stands, I could've fit in another rack and a half to 2 racks in the smoker today. I loathe wasting room, energy, effort, etc.

Smoker's holding the temps just fine, though I froze my bare hands handling the wet rib sections and spraying canola oil as I was prepping the racks and loading the ribs into the smoker..

(*If you ever freeze your hands, feet, etc., don't thaw them fast under hot water; use slightly warmer than body temperature water, or you can do damage to yourself. Seriously).

My hypothesis re. higher flames for compensating for the cold, thus providing better smoke volume seems to have been correct..

So, about 3 to 3-1/2 hours from now we'll be testing a rib or 3.

Need to go feed more wood to the tray.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts