What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
A bit of a cuveé of Rubaeus by Founder's (a raspberry ale) and their Breakfast Stout... About sixty/forty.

It's delicious and decadent...
chocolate covered raspberries sunk into creamy oatmeal cookies and malted milk undertones.

I'm going to have to continue research.

moose eater

1-1/2 oz. 100% pommegranate juice

1-1/2 oz. 818 Blanco Te-Kill-ya'

Reasonable drizzle of lime juice

Reasonable drizzle of lemon juice

4-5 oz. of Mango Seltzer (this is Kroger brand, but what ever floats your boat, and lime or grapefruit seltzer works too)

3-5 COLD ice cubes, depending on size of glass and ice cubes.

TASTY!!! VERY tasty!! and pommegranate juice is good for you too.. in moderation, as it has 39 gramsof carb per 8-oz..

And it's about 7.5 grams of carbohydrate in the whole beverage if made as described above. PERFECT!!

I use the (Kendall Jenner's) 818 Blanco Tequila in mixes, due to it being a bit smoother than the Casamigo Blanco. The Casamigo Blanco Tequila has that inherently 'salty' flavor that tastes best in shooters, while the 818 is so smooth, one sometimes asks if it's, indeed, tequila.

"A place for everything, and everything in its place." (I think my long-deceased crotchety and embittered Hoosier grandmother used to say that a fair bit. Her, and the rest of us OCD folks who heard it at one time or another).

moose eater

Pomegranate is a great taste but juice is so much easier than the fruit.

I'll give that recipe a spin.

I doubt that I get Kendall's tequila though.

She doesn't seem to return my calls.
I picked up the 818 when I was in Yakima, at Rausauer's Grocery store, getting the van the thieves there at the shop had ripped off my mother-in-law on.

It was close to $10 less than the bottle of Casamigo's, which I'd stopped drinking when G. Clooney had simultaneously complained about obscene amounts of money in politics, while he was wolfing down a $3,500 plate of food at an HRC dinner in 2016.

The 818 has all sorts of medals from blind taste testing events, and is -very- good if you're looking for a truly SILKY smooth blanco tequila. But I like that saltier flavor in an otherwise clean and smooth tequila if I'm doing a shooter.

For 100% pomegranate juice, I either go with the more common POM brand, or the R.W. Knudsen's 100%. either one works, though, as stated, less is more, as the carbs could send a diabetic into a coma easily, if over-done.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I have noticed that blind tasting is the best thing to determine who knows what about which.

I worked at a liquor store just out of college and there was a line of guys looking for allocated bourbon every delivery day.

Now in my ignorance I figured that they just really liked rare bourbon, but it was actually a case of gray market retail.

They buy a limited batch one bottle at a time and resell or trade (to resell). This continues to this day all over, not just the Midwest. We called them truck chasers.

As a clerk it was my job to speak to customers and hand sell them what suited their taste and hopefully filled the coffers of the store. This made it pretty easy to get a real view of consumer choice because the same folks would come back and shoot straight on whether or not I actually helped them.

This long winded intro is all to say that I have spoken to lots of people about the same bottles.

The people who bought it to drink it knew what it was eventually and it was their personal take that mattered to them.

The truck chasers didn't dare open a precious investment so they would read what others had written and just regurgitated the spiel. They had no personal feedback.

It's great to see what happens when you throw a party with both of these types of bourbon fans and offer a blind tasting!

Let me just say that if one is interested in making a career in any type of liquor, just become a critic and write for whomever is greasing your palm the best.

It's so easy to sway some that models, actors, MMA fighters, and rappers who haven't even been alive long enough to learn something about anything know that they just have to plug a brand or start their own to rake in stacks of cash.

But all of that to say...

If it's been blind tasted by people that actually drink plenty of tequila I will try it, but I'm wary simply because of the celebrity stamp.

If Kendall herself could pick it out of a blind lineup of half a dozen tequilas then I'd buy a case.

moose eater

I have noticed that blind tasting is the best thing to determine who knows what about which.

I worked at a liquor store just out of college and there was a line of guys looking for allocated bourbon every delivery day.

Now in my ignorance I figured that they just really liked rare bourbon, but it was actually a case of gray market retail.

They buy a limited batch one bottle at a time and resell or trade (to resell). This continues to this day all over, not just the Midwest. We called them truck chasers.

As a clerk it was my job to speak to customers and hand sell them what suited their taste and hopefully filled the coffers of the store. This made it pretty easy to get a real view of consumer choice because the same folks would come back and shoot straight on whether or not I actually helped them.

This long winded intro is all to say that I have spoken to lots of people about the same bottles.

The people who bought it to drink it knew what it was eventually and it was their personal take that mattered to them.

The truck chasers didn't dare open a precious investment so they would read what others had written and just regurgitated the spiel. They had no personal feedback.

It's great to see what happens when you throw a party with both of these types of bourbon fans and offer a blind tasting!

Let me just say that if one is interested in making a career in any type of liquor, just become a critic and write for whomever is greasing your palm the best.

It's so easy to sway some that models, actors, MMA fighters, and rappers who haven't even been alive long enough to learn something about anything know that they just have to plug a brand or start their own to rake in stacks of cash.

But all of that to say...

If it's been blind tasted by people that actually drink plenty of tequila I will try it, but I'm wary simply because of the celebrity stamp.

If Kendall herself could pick it out of a blind lineup of half a dozen tequilas then I'd buy a case.
Absolutely!!

Blind taste-testing at fair competitions, with no cheating or hype, vends the real results folks are looking for, if they're serious about the products they are seeking or wish to try..

Sponsored test results are often 'dirtied' by the money.

moose eater

nothing but tea right now. but my wifes co-workers are having a party tonight. i'm gonna inflict the last jar of my pawpaw moonshine on them. they are a nice, but relatively gullible bunch...lots of fun! :whee:
The old fellow in Tennessee who used to make 'peach lightning' with fresh extracted peach juice in season, and send cases to a friend, rebottled in disposable H2O bottles, died years ago, refusing to let anyone other than his son have the recipe. And his son refused to continue on in his father's foot-steps :( .

Never had ANYTHING from a still that was that smooth, tasty, yummy, and potent at the same time. We'd keep a small plastic bottle in the freezer, COLD, and do shooters (sipping, not gulping), and even drizzled over vanilla bean ice cream. INCREDIBLE stuff. And he was $20 -$25/quart jar. More than a bargain!!.

Last edited:

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Tonight I will be drinking Mad Elf from Troeggs. Seasonal and super strong. I always buy about three cases every year and it lasts for most of the year, just having one now and then. Otherwise I like Belgian ales and certain local brews. I am a former homebrewer and like many many styles. No IPAs though!

moose eater

Freemont Brewing Co. , Seattle, Wa.

Imperial Winter Ale (Christmas run, sorta').

INCREDIBLE!!

8% abv, though unfortunately, it's in a 16-oz. can. Full flavored and full bodied! But not heavy at all!!

(You know, some of us have shit to get done sometimes!! Wish they'd put the stronger beers into a 12-oz. container.... really!!)

1 a day/evening, max; carbs, and functioning in an alert manner matter.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I picked up the 818 when I was in Yakima, at Rausauer's Grocery store, getting the van the thieves there at the shop had ripped off my mother-in-law on.

It was close to $10 less than the bottle of Casamigo's, which I'd stopped drinking when G. Clooney had simultaneously complained about obscene amounts of money in politics, while he was wolfing down a $3,500 plate of food at an HRC dinner in 2016.

The 818 has all sorts of medals from blind taste testing events, and is -very- good if you're looking for a truly SILKY smooth blanco tequila. But I like that saltier flavor in an otherwise clean and smooth tequila if I'm doing a shooter.

For 100% pomegranate juice, I either go with the more common POM brand, or the R.W. Knudsen's 100%. either one works, though, as stated, less is more, as the carbs could send a diabetic into a coma easily, if over-done.
Missed a bunch of 0's on rigged primary fundraiser - https://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/hillary-clinton-george-clooney-fundraiser-221207

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Sorry, my memory isn't always as spot-on as I'd like. Apologies. :)
I remembered it was over $250K because I knew it was insane and more influence peddling.

1agoodlord.png

moose eater

Just split a Midnight Sun Brewing Co. (Anchorage) 'Windbreak' Belgian style Dubbel, 8% abv, with my wife for a late lunch beverage, before going snowblowing in the driveway.

Not bad. Just wish the Belgian-style brews this time of year would leave the Christmas cookie spices, out, however subtle they may be. As before, I like Christmas cookies (can't typically eat them any more), but they don't belong in beer, imo.. Call me narrow minded..

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I can't even enjoy the spice notes of some Belgian yeast strains' phenolic esters.

That being said, I do add ginger, cinnamon, and a little vanilla to a portion of my yearly peach wine.

Oh, I am drinking a pint of Guinness.

It's damn near perfection.

moose eater

I can't even enjoy the spice notes of some Belgian yeast strains' phenolic esters.

That being said, I do add ginger, cinnamon, and a little vanilla to a portion of my yearly peach wine.

Oh, I am drinking a pint of Guinness.

It's damn near perfection.
Just picked up 2 six-packs of Guinness Extra Stout at the grocery store for (on sale!!!) $9.99 per 6-pack!!

I especially like the traditional Irish stouts, and... it's a dependable and modest 15 grams of carbohydrate per each, at 5.6% abv.!!

You're correct re. 'perfection', I think.

Been a favorite for decades, off and on. Though that Freemont Winter Ale 8% abv was INCREDIBLE stuff, as stated.

Back out to finish unloading the truck, and warm up the other 3 vehicles in the main parking area to finish snowblowing that tiny remainder.

Right about 0 degrees f. All that's left to clear of snow is the immediate areas the vehicles are parked in. Been around then on all sides, pretty much, & just need to do the bit of a berm immediately under the edges of them.

You know what I often say? There's no time to operate power equipment like after good beer, and maybe good drugs.. In this case, I may violate my 'no smoking' commitment that I'd held to for the last couple months, re. the 'mass' on my neck and the burning in the throat, and have a puff of my hash.

Likely to turn a mundane final snow clearing and vehicle moving into an adventure of sorts.

Last edited: