What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

moose eater

Matanuska Brewing Company, Palmer, Alaska, small batch 'Wee Heavy Scotch Ale' 7.4% abv. Very tasty. Though the sticky lips after a few sips tells me it's likely higher in carbohydrates than I'd prefer. Good stuff for a nice smooth Scot ale.

That's the only thing that bites my ass about this; the frequency with which the average American who says 'Scotch' when they -meant- 'Scot' or 'Scottish'. 'Scotch' is a type of whiskey. Scot or Scottish is relative to a place of origin.

No wonder we so often have dificulty when we travel abroad. Sheesh.

Good beer, though. Ought to see me through the traffic bottle-neck at the fireworks this evening, with minimal outbursts, assuming we attend.

shithawk420

Veteran
Funny enough the best beer I ever had was aged in whiskey barrels by goose island in a fancy bar in Chicago.it was 10 bucks a drink.my cousin owns a fancy bar in davenport here.hes got this fancy whiskey that's 20 bucks a shot.might have to try it

moose eater

Funny enough the best beer I ever had was aged in whiskey barrels by goose island in a fancy bar in Chicago.it was 10 bucks a drink.my cousin owns a fancy bar in davenport here.hes got this fancy whiskey that's 20 bucks a shot.might have to try it
This wasn't barrel aged beer. I've sampled some of that, and it's typically not my thing.

This was simply a basic, mildly to moderately flavorful (but not overdone), Scot ale. Good stuff overall.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I should quit reading beer bottle labels!

I've never heard of a Scot ale before now but Dirty Bastard from Founders has been a long time favorite.

I have been telling people for years that a Scottish ale is a sessionable gravity while a Scotch ale is usually double the gravity of a Scottish ale.

Back when I first learned how to brew, Scottish ale was divided into forty, sixty, and eighty shilling, and then wee heavy and heavy denoted Scotch ale.

There wasn't any whisky used to fortify it, and generally neither was oak.

I have been out of the loop and all sorts of things have changed.

I'm going to start drinking now...

Some of the very last of the season's Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is my lineup for the evening.

Moose I'll see if I can't get you some of my Scot ale!

shithawk420

Veteran
Oh.thats what the bar tender said.i get it now.still a little buzzed.got good beer in Alaska eh? Probably lots of good alcohol.these Midwest winters are killing me.only reason I'd go up there is to hunt and fish.speaking of wich,my big 35 is coming.theres a nice fancy Japanese place.gonna try the legendary A5 wagyu if they serve it and I can afford it.gotta see what that's about

moose eater

I should quit reading beer bottle labels!

I've never heard of a Scot ale before now but Dirty Bastard from Founders has been a long time favorite.

I have been telling people for years that a Scottish ale is a sessionable gravity while a Scotch ale is usually double the gravity of a Scottish ale.

Back when I first learned how to brew, Scottish ale was divided into forty, sixty, and eighty shilling, and then wee heavy and heavy denoted Scotch ale.

There wasn't any whisky used to fortify it, and generally neither was oak.

I have been out of the loop and all sorts of things have changed.

I'm going to start drinking now...

Some of the very last of the season's Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is my lineup for the evening.

Moose I'll see if I can't get you some of my Scot ale!
Scot ansd Scottish ales are fine, as is the Scotch ale. Though the Scotch ale has my inner OCD guy cringing at times re. the verbiage. Maybe the inner Scottsman in me, buried some place beneath the Irish and the lesser amount of German. Scotts; still fighting for proper recognition, even from within. That's my guess!

All good beer lovers, as cultures go, I'd add.. But like with a bar room brawl, they end up battling over time. Within, without. Matters little.

I'd love a sampling of your Scot ale, your Scottish ale, or, if need be, even your Scotch ale. :)

I figure it's akin to being in Oregon and pronouncing it Or-y-gone; makes few friends, no one offers to buy a drink other than for the benefit of discourse toward the end of correcting diction/pronunciation, and if drinking Scot ales to excess in said bar, can cause friction. :)

Last edited:

moose eater

Oh.thats what the bar tender said.i get it now.still a little buzzed.got good beer in Alaska eh? Probably lots of good alcohol.these Midwest winters are killing me.only reason I'd go up there is to hunt and fish.speaking of wich,my big 35 is coming.theres a nice fancy Japanese place.gonna try the legendary A5 wagyu if they serve it and I can afford it.gotta see what that's about
Lots of micro-breweries up here now. Some better than others.

Founders makes some good beers, though I didn't like their barrel-aged stuff either.

I drank a bit of their porter (tasty, at 6% abv, if I recall), as well as the Dirty Bastard. Both good beers, though based on the 'thickness' of the Dirty Bastard, I probably don't want to know what the carbohydrate value on a 12-oz. of the DB is/was. Probably cause health issues just knowing that.

shithawk420

Veteran
I hear you moose.the carbs are killing my guts.im curious what you think of the legendary wagyu.i can't imagine $250 a steak is worth it.i probably would rather have sushi,sake and tempura shrimp.im pretty knowledgeable about Japanese cuisine.am I forgetting anything? Oh miso soup.love that umami

shithawk420

Veteran
Wasn't beer invented in Mesopotamia or something? Sumeria? It's so expensive I might start making mead or something.isnt there a brew thread on here?

Last edited:

moose eater

I hear you moose.the carbs are killing my guts.im curious what you think of the legendary wagyu.i can't imagine $250 a steak is worth it.i probably would rather have sushi,sake and tempura shrimp.im pretty knowledgeable about Japanese cuisine.am I forgetting anything? Oh miso soup.love that umami
I sometimes look at the wagyu in Costco's ads, only to remind myself that there's folks who value their money a lot differently than I do mine.

I do get a good chuckle out of it, though.

We used to buy a whole angus and/or angus cross each year from a beef farmer in Delta Jct., who grained his critters for 6 months with his own arctic barley and silage. The slaughter house hated him for it, as there was so much snow-white suet on them, but we loved it, they were incredibly tender and marbled.

We often got enough suet from one of his beef to process close to 5 moose, with 55% to 65% of a moose ending up ground into either burger or sausage, and the sausage getting more pork fat or pork jowls as a rule.

We usually only did 2 moose a year, between a former friend's household in the bush and mine, so I'd gift the remaining 2-1/2 to 3 moose worth of -amazing- beef suet to my butcher friends, instructing them that only the folks they really cared about should get that in their meat.

That's the closest we ever came to wagyu, I suspect.

Sushi is good, but I control my habit there, and try to only buy from sources using brown rice, due to glycemic values.

No idea of the history of beer. Its history here is pretty short; it gets purchased, put on the back freezer room shelf, then into the fridge, then drank. Then its history. :)

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
I know wagyu cattle get 1 beer a day to get them fat.cows are probably alcoholics by now the way they suck them down lol this guy I know is a fourth generation cattle farmer and I can say everybody who has tried it says it's the best.hes pretty secretive about it but he did say molasses.i don't know if he was trying to throw us off or not.not sure how to give a cow molasses.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I completely understand the discomfort caused by terminology and even the spelling thereof...

But, as tends to be my idiom, I will add that Scottish chaps would bristle at the spelling of whisky with an "e".

Bourbon and Tennessee whiskey is generally spelled with the vowel, a notable exception being Maker's Mark.

Just buzzed and rambling. I'll drink all of the above, regardless of spelling... and pronunciation!!

moose eater

I know wagyu cattle get 1 beer a day to get them fat.cows are probably alcoholics by now the way they suck them down lol this guy I know is a fourth generation cattle farmer and I can say everybody who has tried it says it's the best.hes pretty secretive about it but he did say molasses.i don't know if he was trying to throw us off or not.not sure how to give a cow molasses.
Mixed with oats/grain. It's high in carbs and has decent amounts of potassium in it, I think. Some of the same reasons growers give it to cannabis.

shithawk420

Veteran
I don't know if this true but it's a little known thing that the best scotch comes from the Scottish isles of Jura.its coveted highly.its the negter of the gods.or so they say

shithawk420

Veteran
Got dang moose.she must be a pro to hide it that long.i like a good scotch but it can be so smooth it hits you before you know it.let me think.i think it was a glenfarklas 12 year old I had that was good but it was blended I think.not single malt.i was just coincidentally looking up the most expensive whiskey.it was about 1.5 million or something.over a thousand a shot.thats some serious rich people man life right there.if I was a cat burglar wino I'd rob Kevin oleary.hes got millions in wine alone