What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

moose eater

I no longer drink but my favorite style of beer when i was younger was definitely the helles lager. Straight german style. So malty and sweet and light. It was almost like drinking liquid bread after the first round :yummy:
See! While somewhat rigid at times throughout history, the Germans at least knew that if a person was going to have rigid rules, beer ought to be included among them. And it worked!! :)

Ayinger dunkel bier!! For those times I can convince myself I deserve greater rewards than I already receive, despite being without much real justification.

RobFromTX

See! While somewhat rigid at times throughout history, the Germans at least knew that if a person was going to have rigid rules, beer ought to be included among them. And it worked!! :)

Ayinger dunkel bier!! For those times I can convince myself I deserve greater rewards than I already receive, despite being without much real justification.
Whiskey was my beast of choice but when i drank beer i wanted something light and crisp and that was it. Great alternative to those mainstream corn beers. And dunkels are really tasty too. Just so damn heavy, like eating a big meal

moose eater

I stay with tequila mostly, where liquor's concerned. These days a blanco/silver, though in the not too distant past, a reposado was the ticket.

Only in the old days, before I really knew what I liked and didn't too well, did I screw around with bourbon. Other than for idolizing Hunter S Thompson as a reason to buy Wild Turkey, I never really had a 'taste' for bourbons. Though I've sipped some decent ones.

Canadian whiskeys are another matter. They can be good, but still... they're whiskey.

My wife drinks scotch on rare occasion (we were married probably close to 25 years before I even knew she was fond of the stuff??!), so every now and again, I get her a good bottle of an acceptable single malt scotch, and will have a sip of it, but really can't see the attraction.

A good tequila carries the flavors of the traditions and places through time, culture etc., that it comes from.

My silver or gold tequila and pomegranate juice cocktail might be too sweet for your tastes, but lately it consists of 1 shot decent tequila, 1 shot pomegranate juice, healthy amount of lime juice, healthy amount of lemon juice, and about 1/3 can of seltzer of your choice (lately my preference for seltzer water has been LaCroix tangerine seltzer water), with 3 ice cubes. Splendiferous, if I do say so myself, and far fewer carbs than in most dark beers. About half the carbs as in a Guinness Extra Stout.

But to keep clear enough to at least ponder the chores, I followed up the Chuli Stout with a low-glycemic hot mocha with French Roast coffee, and some good fixins for that concoction.

Last edited:

moose eater

In from blowing the snow from the driveway for the THIRD FUCKING TIME this week!!!

No, it's not done.

I need to add a bit more fuel to the blower, and it seemed like a fine time for the second and likely final alcoholic beverage of the day; a Matanuska Brewing Company (Palmer Alaska) 'Wee Heavy Scotch Ale' (7.4%).

Snowblowing in the dark with a headlamp for visibility through the cloud of snow requires a socially acceptable sedative sometimes. Not the blower; me.

I was wet anyway.

+15 f out on the front porch at the moment. Glad we never reached close to the +32 they'd predicted for today's high. As it is, this is the first snow we've had this winter that wasn't light fluffy sugar snow. But it's not clogging up the blower the way it might've otherwise, had we gotten a bunch warmer.

In the forecast? Over the next several days? More fucking snow!!!!

Time for some dry clothes, and back at it in a moment or three.

Last edited:

Brother Nature

I think there's a special place in hell for people who put a perfectly good pie pumpkin into a perfectly good ale, fucking up both of them for most normal people.
Aww, real Pumpkin Pie is by far the biggest thing I miss over here, there are some places that make it, but it's never the same as it was back home. No one even gets it here they think it's a gross idea...

Can't say I really miss American beer, though I was fond of a good Sam Adams and am known to buy a 12 of budweiser when i see it here, for nostalgia sake, not the taste. Saw a six pack of PBR listed as a 'novelty American Beer' at a more pretentious liquor store here recently, fuckers wanted $20 for it....

I've become very fond of Japanese whiskys lately, very different than the traditional scotch flavor, smoother and less complex.

moose eater

Aww, real Pumpkin Pie is by far the biggest thing I miss over here, there are some places that make it, but it's never the same as it was back home. No one even gets it here they think it's a gross idea...

Can't say I really miss American beer, though I was fond of a good Sam Adams and am known to buy a 12 of budweiser when i see it here, for nostalgia sake, not the taste. Saw a six pack of PBR listed as a 'novelty American Beer' at a more pretentious liquor store here recently, fuckers wanted $20 for it....

I've become very fond of Japanese whiskys lately, very different than the traditional scotch flavor, smoother and less complex.
My wife loves a good pumpkin pie. Slathered in homemade whipped cream with a touch of vanilla extract in it. Or ice cream over the pie when it's stil hot. I got hooked on a variety of apple pies, and a real homemade blueberry pie is incredible.

Sweet potato pies, made properly, can be very good, as well. reminiscent of a good pumpkin pie, but with somewhat/slightly different texture..

We were making a sour cream apple pie with walnuts in it that was more impressive than it sounds. But we also use an ancient recipe, "Aunt Irene's Pie Crust"; gifted to me by old, now-deceased surrogate family from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which was used initially to make Cornish moose pasties and beef pasties.

Had some good beers when I was in Australia visiting, but the mirco-brews here do pretty well.

I also typically don't care for the beers aged in cognac or whiskey barrels, but saw what I think was a limited release Imperial Stout by Midnight Sun Brewing in Anchorage, I believe it was supposedly aged in cognac barrels, and it went stated to be 13% abv.

I'd always assumed and understood that beers in that range of abv were considered barley wine, but who knows?

At any rate, I tend to be a Scot ale or stout guy, though sometimes a full-flavored red ale is tasty. There's a 5.7% abv beer here, called Grateful Red, by Kenai River Brewing Company in Soldotna, Alaska, with the brewer's rendition of a Grateful Dead Stealie on it. One of the finer red ales I've trierd in a LONG time, even if it's only 5.7%.

Hope you're well Brother.

buzzmobile

Veteran
every now and again, I get her a good bottle of an acceptable single malt scotch
I find this very acceptable.
;)
1678457670644.png

moose eater

Called the local liquor warehouse just now, and inquired. They have 2 bottles of that specific scotch in stock.

The place in reference has changed hands a couple times, and they advertise 'low prices', but lately I noted that their pricing is higher in many/most cases than the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) liquor store.

They do, however, often have the better/larger selection for beers, liquors, etc.

The bottle you posted is $79 and change. Likely (I'm guessing) $15 to $20 more than it is in your area.

I'll see if my wife is feeling a need for scotch.

Thanks for the pointer.

I still owe you some images of my fishing lure rolls (like a bed roll, size small, with sewn in slots for lures, to keep them from damaging each other when in transit via snowmobile freight sled, truck, boat, etc, made from Goretex and Cordura scraps from previous projects.) that my wife stitched together for me, and the Pro-Troll lead e-jigs the company appears to no longer make.

That's coming up shortly on the 'to-do' list in prepraration for the bush ice fishing trip that's now a short 2-weeks out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts