What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

moose eater

A low(er) glycemic homemade hot mocha with freshly ground French Roast coffee, cream and almond milk base. My wife says they taste like drinking a chocolate bar with coffee candy.

For a 20 oz. cup, 3-5 mounded tsp. Stevia extract or similar *granular* (decently functional) alternative sweetener. Put that in first so the chocolate doesn't cling as badly to the mug.

1-1/2 to 2 mounded tsp of decent unsweetened baking cocao powder

Most of 1 rounded tsp of Baker's powdered buttermilk

A dash of salt or so

1/4 tsp of real vanilla extract

Make a thin slurry/paste by adding just enough unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Make sure to stir into the 'corners' of the bottom of the cup and on the sides to get everything blended well.

Place that into the microwave for about 30 seconds or so, in a reasonably stout microwave.

Add piping hot fresh French Roast coffee to desired level, and put in a bit of 40% heavy whipping cream (liquid, not whipped, though I guess you could go the extra distance and whip the cream, too. Or both if you're feeling extra adventurous).

Then sip for a while, take another couple tokes of hash to negate the negative aspects of snowblowing at sundown, and head back out into Winter.... Wide awake, fairly 'full', and stoned.

Last edited:

RobFromTX

Im an all weed and no alcohol kind of guy. But if you ever run across blue monkey passion fruit brew grab it because its insanely tasty. The viatnamese having really got it going on and they have a watermelon juice variety thats as good as it gets :yummy:

Attachments

• IMG_20230203_194606557.jpg
    IMG_20230203_194606557.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26

moose eater

A long overdue protest or complaint is in order.

Long ago I dabbled in home-brewing beer.

A traditional definition of 'chocolate malt' in the beer brewing world involved a dark-roasted malt that included no candy or cocao of any sort. It was a dark-roasted malt.

Come the new age, and folks sending curve balls in the way of 'creative brewing', involving things that shouldn't be involved in good beer, imo (I blame the Belgians with their damned lambecs). Suddenly everyone in the world with a craft brewery seems to think that a chocolate stout requires actual shaved chocolate or nibs of some sort!! Bleh!! Phooey!!

A chocolate stout by older traditonal definition was a nice medium to dark/heavy stout relying on dark-roasted malt(s) and referred to as a 'chocolate stout.'

That outa' my system again, my wife and I just shared a 16-oz. Rogue Imperial Chocolate Stout (9% abv) that has.. chocolate in it. We're down to only one remaining, and I insist each time we open one that she gets the larger half.

I like the Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and believe they changed their recipe a bit over the last several years, as it seems to have gotten even better. But I won't be buying their Rogue Imperial Chocolate Stout any more unless my wife requests it.. which I doubt she will..

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

A traditional definition of 'chocolate malt' in the beer brewing world involved a dark-roasted malt that included no candy or cocao of any sort. It was a dark-roasted malt.

Come the new age, and folks sending curve balls in the way of 'creative brewing', involving things that shouldn't be involved in good beer, imo (I blame the Belgians with their damned lambecs). Suddenly everyone in the world with a craft brewery seems to think that a chocolate stout requires actual shaved chocolate or nibs of some sort!! Bleh!! Phooey!!

A chocolate stout by older traditonal definition was a nice medium to dark/heavy stout relying on dark-roasted malt(s) and referred to as a 'chocolate stout.'

I just got done brewing a double batch of stout... just malt, no nibs or cacao or cocoa or chocolate.

I wouldn't call it a chocolate stout unless it did have some type of cacao derivative in its recipe.

Chocolate malt was used, as well as roasted barley, and a variety of others.

Varying degrees of kilning the malts lend colors that are light and bready to dark and burnt bitter.. with most of the interesting varieties landing somewhere between.

Most of what makes a stout a stout is the addition of the roasted unmalted barley that imparts no fermentable addition, but rather starchy carbohydrates and dextrins that gives the style its characteristic full bodied mouthfeel.

I certainly like chocolate malt and use a black malt usually as well. There was no oatmeal harmed in the brewing of this stout, but quite often brewers like to use it for the same reason as the barley.

I do like the occasional chocolate or oatmeal stout but I also enjoy a drier stout as well and probably more often.

Today's recipe was split in half to compare two different strains of yeast... I have to have at least a couple cases of stout for St. Patricks Day and I was split between Irish ale and Dry English ale.

The gravity was pretty high but I should end up with one batch a little drier than the other... likely not more than 10% ABV though.

Not that beer needs to be that strong to begin with....

I'm going to close the chapter of the day with a cup of chai and a bonghit or three.

But right now it's time for a shot of Tully.

moose eater

I just got done brewing a double batch of stout... just malt, no nibs or cacao or cocoa or chocolate.

I wouldn't call it a chocolate stout unless it did have some type of cacao derivative in its recipe.

Chocolate malt was used, as well as roasted barley, and a variety of others.

Varying degrees of kilning the malts lend colors that are light and bready to dark and burnt bitter.. with most of the interesting varieties landing somewhere between.

Most of what makes a stout a stout is the addition of the roasted unmalted barley that imparts no fermentable addition, but rather starchy carbohydrates and dextrins that gives the style its characteristic full bodied mouthfeel.

I certainly like chocolate malt and use a black malt usually as well. There was no oatmeal harmed in the brewing of this stout, but quite often brewers like to use it for the same reason as the barley.

I do like the occasional chocolate or oatmeal stout but I also enjoy a drier stout as well and probably more often.

Today's recipe was split in half to compare two different strains of yeast... I have to have at least a couple cases of stout for St. Patricks Day and I was split between Irish ale and Dry English ale.

The gravity was pretty high but I should end up with one batch a little drier than the other... likely not more than 10% ABV though.

Not that beer needs to be that strong to begin with....

I'm going to close the chapter of the day with a cup of chai and a bonghit or three.

But right now it's time for a shot of Tully.
Your stout sounds both proper and tasty, mustard. Wish I was there to offer myself up as a guinea pig.

I like oatmeal stouts, the thickness, the abv on many, and more. The carb count, however,is often a bit more than on something like a Guinness Extra Stout.

Off and on lately, I've been driking 'Oatis', from Ninkasi Brewing in Eugene, Oregon. A nice 7% abv oatmeal stout, as implied in the name. I posted a while back that there was a period of a few years I'd stopped buying it, as the primary variety stuff coming up was Ninkasi's 'Oatis' w/vanilla. another taboo in my opinion. Tasted a bit like beer combined with cough syrup to me.

I like vanilla extract in many things, to include baking, or when we made homemade Kahlua or Tia Maria many years ago with the higher-test Everclear, before they bannd the 190 proof Everclear in Alaska, and relegated us to the 150 proof stuff.

But in beer, it was a turn-off imo.

Brought home a 12-pack tonight (on sale) of 'Chuli Stout' (5.9% abv), named after the Chulitna River. Along which one of my favorite rest areas on the George Parks Hwy is located, near the East fork of the Chulitna River, Just south about 2-3 miles south of 189 mile (the giant igloo; a failed motel looking like a giant 3-story igloo coated in white poly foam on the Parks Hwy, which is about 20 miles south of Cantwell, Alaska).

I only mashed and sparged whole grains a couple times in a warm oven when I wa sbrewing, otherwise relying on either powdered malts extracts, or canned liquid syrupy malt extracts. But when the phone wold ring, it was fun to put on a pirate accent personna, turn down an on-call request for the clinic, and state emphatically, "I can't come, matey; I'm mashin' and spargin'!!"

Seemed like a thing to do, and actually got me out of a couple crisis calls that I didn't want to take due to a 'frame of mind' iissue. :)

Old Piney

I have a buddy that brews beer , all different ,one is better than the next .He stopped by a while back with the tail end of a soda keg of his chocolate porter .We polished it off splitting wood in my wood pile, man that was some good shit. No chocolate or cocoa, I guess its all in the malt .It had strong chocolate notes.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

Your stout sounds both proper and tasty, mustard. Wish I was there to offer myself up as a guinea pig.

I like oatmeal stouts, the thickness, the abv on many, and more. The carb count, however,is often a bit more than on something like a Guinness Extra Stout.

Off and on lately, I've been driking 'Oatis', from Ninkasi Brewing in Eugene, Oregon. A nice 7% abv oatmeal stout, as implied in the name. I posted a while back that there was a period of a few years I'd stopped buying it, as the primary variety stuff coming up was Ninkasi's 'Oatis' w/vanilla. another taboo in my opinion. Tasted a bit like beer combined with cough syrup to me.

I like vanilla extract in many things, to include baking, or when we made homemade Kahlua or Tia Maria many years ago with the higher-test Everclear, before they bannd the 190 proof Everclear in Alaska, and relegated us to the 150 proof stuff.

But in beer, it was a turn-off imo.

Brought home a 12-pack tonight (on sale) of 'Chuli Stout' (5.9% abv), named after the Chulitna River. Along which one of my favorite rest areas on the George Parks Hwy is located, near the East fork of the Chulitna River, Just south about 2-3 miles south of 189 mile (the giant igloo; a failed motel looking like a giant 3-story igloo coated in white poly foam on the Parks Hwy, which is about 20 miles south of Cantwell, Alaska).

I only mashed and sparged whole grains a couple times in a warm oven when I wa sbrewing, otherwise relying on either powdered malts extracts, or canned liquid syrupy malt extracts. But when the phone wold ring, it was fun to put on a pirate accent personna, turn down an on-call request for the clinic, and state emphatically, "I can't come, matey; I'm mashin' and spargin'!!"

Seemed like a thing to do, and actually got me out of a couple crisis calls that I didn't want to take due to a 'frame of mind' iissue. :)

Southern Tier has a Creme Brulee stout that is overpowering in the vanilla department.

I can't even enjoy more than a single sip.

I always end up tasting it long after it was sipped.... and their entire line of the Blackwater series are far too sweet for imperial caliber stouts in my opinion.

Their relatively new offering of the Peanut Butter Cup stout is somewhat more tolerable than the rest but I still can't finish more than six to eight ounces.

My theory is that we're already sweet enough moose.

moose eater

Southern Tier has a Creme Brulee stout that is overpowering in the vanilla department.

I can't even enjoy more than a single sip.

I always end up tasting it long after it was sipped.... and their entire line of the Blackwater series are far too sweet for imperial caliber stouts in my opinion.

Their relatively new offering of the Peanut Butter Cup stout is somewhat more tolerable than the rest but I still can't finish more than six to eight ounces.

My theory is that we're already sweet enough moose.
I thnik the peanut butter in the stout was done by people who were simply acting out a passive-aggressive oppositional defiant disorder upon those they full well knew they'd already offended with their chocolate nibs in their stouts.

I mean, what's next? Reese's Penaut Butter Cup with Chocolate Mint Chip stout?

Peppermint candy cane stout at Christmas?

Walnut Fudge stout?

The Germans are rolling in their graves.. Not that they're known for too many stouts there. Though there are several very tasty Dunkel Biers.

I'm having RO H2O at the moment; too early for a stout.. Or is it?

Last edited:

mexweed

Veteran
I've had a churro stout and a toasted marshmallow pumpkin porter that were good, Sam Smith's organic chocolate stout is probably really good

I've had a couple coffee stouts that were really good also like the Sad Panda

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I thnik the peanut butter in the stout was done by people who were simply acting out a passiev-agggressive oppositional defiant disorder upon those they full well knew they'd alerady offended with their chocolate nibs in their stouts.

I mean, what's next? Reese's Penaut Butter Cup with Chocolate Mint Chip stout?

Peppermint candy cane stout at Christmas?

Walnut Fudge stout?

The Germans are rolling in their graves.. Not that they're known for too many stouts there. Though there are several very tasty Dunkel Biers.

I'm having RO H2O at the moment; too early for a stout.. Or is it?

Schwartzbier is as close as you can get to a deep dark offering from Germany I think.

I have seen a mint chocolate chip beer, can't recall if it was a stout.

Off the wall seems to suit the newest generation of beer drinkers... they love sours and lambics and K pop.

I saw a pickle beer and felt a strange blend of disappointment, rage, and nausea and had to head to the wine section before I passed out pissed off and bitter in a puddle of vomit.

One man's trash is another man's treasure and I am sure whoever brewed it thought it was a great idea.

I was toying with the idea of going out to brunch and decided that accomplishing much needed tasks at the homestead was a greater good....

So I might find myself compromising by allowing a little day drinking....

Oh, would you look at that?!

Some fucker put a shot of whiskey in my tea!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I've had a churro stout and a toasted marshmallow pumpkin porter that were good, Sam Smith's organic chocolate stout is probably really good

I've had a couple coffee stouts that were really good also like the Sad Panda

Churro stout sounds good.

Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is good but very sweet... I can drink the whole thing at least.

I've been trying more coffee beers in the last couple of years. I found a golden ale that was made with very light beans and it was a wonderful beer... I even got a kick in the ass from the caffeine after a couple.

It was from a local brewery I think... I'll see if I can jog my memory.

moose eater

I thought whisky was for coffee in the morning, not tea? I've never heard of Irish tea.. not with whisky, anyway.

I think a breakfast stout might, in fact, be permissible. I think I'll have one of those Chuli Stouts I brought home last night, by Denali Brewing Co. in Talkeetna, Ak; 5.9%, The one last evening tasted better than I remembered them.

Gotta' dig out the drive-through on the pole barn today, and move the stuff I stored there last Summer back into the shed, so I have room for the other 2 snowmachines that are coming back home soon (I hope).

That, and assess the headlight issue on the snowblower that I had intended to figure out yesterday, but didn't.

Shortly after the Hemp Farm bill passed, I tried a cannabis beer (non-THC at the liquor store). Green flavor, Like someone had added the boiling water from making canna butter the old way, or maybe bong water. It's presence in the liquor store didn't last long, so I figure they're not making it anymore, likely properly concluding that if someone was going to drink somethiing that tasted like it was seasoned with bong water, they at least wanted to get some THC with it too.

moose eater

Churro stout sounds good.

Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is good but very sweet... I can drink the whole thing at least.

I've been trying more coffee beers in the last couple of years. I found a golden ale that was made with very light beans and it was a wonderful beer... I even got a kick in the ass from the caffeine after a couple.

It was from a local brewery I think... I'll see if I can jog my memory.
Nothing wrong with a coffee stout, or even (especially) an espresso stout. Very tasty, indeed.