What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are these bugs....?

blondie

One plant leaves look sickly so tonight I looked. I didn’t get far until I saw all these creepy crawlies around. Mostly if not all in soil and container, though leaves are twisted like fuck. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything like this. My grow room was shut down, all junk removed, old tent in the trash, swept mopped, etc. it was very clean. Has to be from the soil. Any rate what are these things and how eliminate. I have a large for me grow started.

I’ll try to get closeups. For now this is best I can do.

Attachments

• 73935C8C-829D-404D-80B8-446C25D1089F.jpeg
    73935C8C-829D-404D-80B8-446C25D1089F.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 0976EF21-4CB1-4BB1-80A2-C03E17BFA25D.jpeg
    0976EF21-4CB1-4BB1-80A2-C03E17BFA25D.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 89
  • C6A6FB23-B3C0-4397-B1FA-09FF6964B226.jpeg
    C6A6FB23-B3C0-4397-B1FA-09FF6964B226.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 9B7F2093-47C3-47FD-B83F-FFA2B1ACCBEF.jpeg
    9B7F2093-47C3-47FD-B83F-FFA2B1ACCBEF.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 87

blondie

One more. Bastards are crawling all over. I’m guessing aphids. Look at the bottom edge of the loupe where yes a chubby blob is. That is one of these things. Maybe Prego little bitch.

Attachments

• IMG_6212.jpg
    IMG_6212.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84

blondie

Not fruit flies, not flying. I just looked at the plant and don’t see any on it. Seems like soil dwelling. Can something like this live in the soil and screw with roots?

Attachments

• CA20E904-3E78-45D2-9158-F745E972FE7C.jpeg
    CA20E904-3E78-45D2-9158-F745E972FE7C.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 50

goingrey

It's possible for sure.

Sometimes it's the bugs themselves that cause the issue (like root aphids). Sometimes the adult bugs are relatively benign but their larvae cause problems for the roots (fungus gnats for example).

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Hard to see them. Kind of look like Mealybugs (which cause leaf curl) or Woolly Apple Aphids. They look like Larvae emerging from dormancy in the Soil.

How do they move? Crawl, fly, or wriggle?

If they move very slowly, it is a bug called Scale. Ants herd them.

blondie

last image and I’m getting to spraying I guess. Damnnnn this sucks.

Attachments

• B27B468E-13E6-4CBC-B18F-4BAEBEB5F371.jpeg
    B27B468E-13E6-4CBC-B18F-4BAEBEB5F371.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 73

blondie

Yes the reason I’m looking at the plant is the leaves are twisted and misshapen. Something wrong with the plant.

I think I have root aphids which is a very bad situation. It lines up with this article: https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/root-aphid-control/

Anyone hear of this or use this? Ideas? Prayers?

blondie

I just checked all of my containers and nearly all have visible creatures crawling in the soil or the outside of the container. One plant they were on the leaves. My plants are infested. With brand new tents, clean room, new lights etc, the soil has to be the culprit. I’m thinking eggs came in the soil and hatched when I planted. Also thinking it’s root aphids.

I’ve learned there are root aphids and regular aphids.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I can't make out the bug or even see the shape. It could be a result of a springtail, mealybug, or soil mite infestation. I don't know without seeing the bug magnified. 😎

Root aphids should not be confused with soil mites, and spiders. The easiest way to tell them apart is soil mites have eight legs, and root aphids have six. They prefer the roots near the soil surface. They are often found where the soil meets the stem of the plant. Google

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Its very important that you get to the bottom of the infestation. Where and when do the pests appear? The change of the Season will bring bugs into the garden because they are looking for shelter from the cold. Since organic materials heat up when it decomposes it makes for a perfect home for soil pests. If you take your plants outdoors on Sunny days and bring them in on cold days, you can pick up hitchhikers. Lastly, too much organic matter in the soil can attract soil pests. 😎

blondie

Nothing came in from outdoors. The only outside thing is the soil. Pests are crawling on the outside of the container at any given time. Literally.. they are everywhere. Even in empty container I just filled with soil and vegetables seeds. A good photo is attached. It zooms clear and shows the body. Six legs and antenna. I'm still thinking root aphid but not certain.????

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_092900621_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221130_092900621_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61

Three Berries

The only time I got plant chewing bugs was when I brought in my outside house plants one fall. I get small flying gnats around the kitchen in the summer mostly from vegetable waste. But I don't see any in the tents as long as I keep up on the BT. Sometimes spider web though so there must be something to eat.

I usually use the mosquito bits every other gallon of water but sometimes get lax.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
I once had a Praying Mantis egg hatch during Winter on a Hibiscus we protected from Cold. Little baby Manti took over the whole House.

Aphids. If they're leaving the pot and crawling elsewhere they're probably the leaf-sucking kind and not the root feeding kind.

Initial generation, the one that spreads outward, is Asexual, Winged, and Pre-Impregnated. These lay eggs which hatch Wingless and give spawn to innumerable generations during warm Months. Eventually during the cycle, true Male and Female Aphids breed the Winged generation that spreads outward. Scary. Glad they aren't the size of Rats. Eggs are Overwintered on plants, weeds, leaf debris, etc.

Are there any other plants being protected from Winter elsewhere in the house? I always spray for bugs before (usually right when) bringing houseplants and tropical inside from outside.

Good Luck my friend.