What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are these bugs....?

X15

The sugar spray idea might make some sense actually from what I read. At least some root aphids can’t live without ants. The aphid bodies somehow build up honeydew and if ants don’t remove it eventually kills them. I don’t have ants that I see at least so this might be a somewhat effective tool.

I’ve also been thinking about the ivermectin idea and honestly it seems to have some merit. I’ve already ordered the botanic stuff though. It’s an available somewhat proven method. I just had to pay up for it.

Yesterday I lugged 350$ worth of soil to the curb and sanitized the living fuck out of what I could. Not a fun day but it’s done. Yellow stickies only caught the one flier so far. Plants are doing ok but showing signs of something wrong.

What I’ve found is there are two different types of aphids. One is regular aphid, mostly above ground dwelling leaf sucking. Visible on stem leaves etc. The other is a distinct and different creature, called a root aphid. Root aphids soil dwelling mostly and eat roots instead of leaves. Be careful as most sources don’t make a distinction. Treatment is different for both.

I’m quite certain what I have is in fact root aphid of the Trama family. Not much info on this particular creature but an old Canadian report shows it in Canada along the US border Vermont, NH, and Maine. It has to be in Maine, where my soil came from.
Is there any way you can get info on the soil you were using?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I’ve wondered how the anti microbial and anti fungal properties of honey affect the beneficial components of a good ferment. Is it offering a narrower window of beneficials vs. say “organic cane sugar”.
Or is this just my head trippin?

Does anyone have any info on Honey vs. Cane Sugar and ferments for IPM?

Much Respect!
nasa-
Thanks.

The most important are the beneficial organisms that are on the hempseeds, because they can be almost guaranteed to be beneficial to hemp/cannabis. Same with nutrient ratios.

And fermenting flower products (honey/nectars, flowers, seeds) is likely to help flowering. Vs stems (sugarcane), roots (sugarbeets) maybe better for the roots.

I also added a small teaspoon of gum arabic to a quart of nutrient feed. I think it helps with the trichomes and terpenes.

IMG_20221019_095610.jpg

Cookie G13 Super Auto Feminised from Flash Seeds, clone grown in a tub. 4 inches of sand and rock, 4 inches of loam and the rest supersoil.

IMG_20220818_150526.jpg

Seedsman Lemon Auto.

blondie

Yes. I spoke to coast of Maine soil company the other day and had a pleasant conversation with two people. Extremely good people and good products. Incidentally they also own and distribute the brand name bumper crop. They said no other calls like mine. Hopefully a fluke, possible infestation at the retail. I don’t know honestly.

I picked up a bag of fox farm and a bag of espoma today. I’m planning a side by side comparison at this point of the two soils. Plan is also to use ocean forest during flower. Why not. Still waiting on the botanica crap.

I think this image shows white material which is a sign of root aphids. It looks unusual to me at least. I also see what looks like lack of magnesium on some plants, apparently another root aphid sign.

Attachments

• 54F68058-0035-4DBB-B267-F1838437DB19.jpeg
    54F68058-0035-4DBB-B267-F1838437DB19.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: X15

X15

Thanks.

The most important are the beneficial organisms that are on the hempseeds, because they can be almost guaranteed to be beneficial to hemp/cannabis. Same with nutrient ratios.

And fermenting flower products (honey/nectars, flowers, seeds) is likely to help flowering. Vs stems (sugarcane), roots (sugarbeets) maybe better for the roots.

I also added a small teaspoon of gum arabic to a quart of nutrient feed. I think it helps with the trichomes and terpenes.

View attachment 18788097
Cookie G13 Super Auto Feminised from Flash Seeds, clone grown in a tub. 4 inches of sand and rock, 4 inches of loam and the rest supersoil.

View attachment 18788101
Seedsman Lemon Auto.
Thanks for sharing. Lookin good!
as for the fermentation, I should have been more clear. I was asking that in regards to the ferment Process and using honey vs cane sugar as the food source.

X15

Yes. I spoke to coast of Maine soil company the other day and had a pleasant conversation with two people. Extremely good people and good products. Incidentally they also own and distribute the brand name bumper crop. They said no other calls like mine. Hopefully a fluke, possible infestation at the retail. I don’t know honestly.

I picked up a bag of fox farm and a bag of espoma today. I’m planning a side by side comparison at this point of the two soils. Plan is also to use ocean forest during flower. Why not. Still waiting on the botanica crap.

I think this image shows white material which is a sign of root aphids. It looks unusual to me at least. I also see what looks like lack of magnesium on some plants, apparently another root aphid sign.
I wouldn’t be too concerned with the stuff you are seeing. From what i can see things look pretty normal. Id be more concerned with that metal sod staple resting on the stem, I wouldn’t have those within 10 feet of a solo cup lol.

blondie

Update time. The botanic stuff arrived and I removed everything from the tent. Sprayed it down swept, mopped, sprayed the floor, sprayed the soil area. I transplanted all plants. Removed them from their containers over a trash bag, attempting to catch all soil. Once removed, I massaged the roots to dislodge as much soil as possible. Then dunked into a bucket of botanic care stuff. Containers were rinsed and then dunked as well. New soil was used, happy frog and espoma. Two easily found soils locally. Post transplant I watered with the botanic, then again three days later, then once more. I wanted to essentially saturate the soil in case eggs made their way into something. I’m hopeful.

My plants look like they been through the ringer. But... still alive. Three factors came to play here. The bugs, the lime I added, and the botanic care itself. I added some lime for calcium which I suspect added more than needed. I only added a small amount. Leaves show likely calcium issue and magnesium as well. Might be the bugs or the botanic or both. The spray damaged leaves also.

Now I’m getting used to watering two unfamiliar soils. FF does not retain water as long as espoma. I’ve over watered plants in espoma and added to the issues. I’m going to start weighing containers I think as I know I don’t water correctly. The FF plants are coming back quicker and beginning to look better.

Akss

Nothing came in from outdoors. The only outside thing is the soil. Pests are crawling on the outside of the container at any given time. Literally.. they are everywhere. Even in empty container I just filled with soil and vegetables seeds. A good photo is attached. It zooms clear and shows the body. Six legs and antenna. I'm still thinking root aphid but not certain.????
Idk sure looks like the good guys to me...hypoaspis miles...
Screenshot_20221215-115014~2.png

Reactions: X15

Latest posts

Latest posts