What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are the top must have clone only strains?

Cuddles

That is pretty much the question. Have been growing GG4 for quite awhile and looking for something else, or a few others. Should be a heavy producer (grams per watt) for indoor tent grows, and mold disease resistant is a big plus. Will be grown in coco.

For a long time (at least some years ago) a strain which fits this description was said to be UK Cheese. It wa said that it was only available as a cutting and the results were astounding! One guy posted a pic of his plant and it was amazing and the yiels was realy, really high! :)
Sadly I´ve never had the pleasure myself ;) :(

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
My focus on quality derives from potency/effects of the high, Ive grown so much hype name shit people wanted that I wouldnt even smoke personally due to lack luster highs. These 3 are not "elites" IMO but simply werent dissapointing compared to most, Ive experienced much more potent/longer lasting/interesting highs from seed plants. The Platinum Girl Scout Cookies has brought me into dysfunctional terror for hours after one hit from a pipe in 2017 though lol.

Blue Dream
Platinum Girl Scout Cookies
Gary Payton

This next one I have not grown but is on my list of strains to try as Ive read/heard good reviews on its potency.

Headband
(AKA Chemdawg 91/Original Diesel/daywrecker/underdawg)

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Digging through a bunch of Top Dawg packs of SD BX 3...SD BX 4 ,and a couple of packs of Dirty Taxi.

And everything I can get of Karmas,I enjoy the adventure of finding what's good in my eyes.

No need for the hype,never a problem getting the phone ringing for anything from the breeders I've mentioned.

Sorry I got off track of clones

Last edited:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Headband is real good … extremely potent…is it The Loompa’s Headband ? That’s the one you want

That one has been a tough one to find,shit I'd be happy just to get a couple of zips for the wife's jars....grown right of course as I'm sure you do 👍

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It’s good to see you posting as well…If you’re looking for raw power than the headband will do it for you , but if you’re looking for a nice quality high you might find it to be a bit foggy( which could be due to its Uber potency)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, you're not wrong, But people do breed or make crosses with the goal of just finding that one clone. With no plans to stabilize traits into a seedline or to sell seeds, or to do anything with the seeds once that winner is found..

Not sure what that has anything to do with what I posted.. Making your own seeds doesn't mean your gonna sell anything. 50 years ago we didn't buy seeds or clones. We all shared within our small circles. It was illegal. The odds you will find the one goes up when popping a lot of seeds. More people should start making their own seeds. If you find something you like never stop looking for something better.

goingrey

Not sure what that has anything to do with what I posted.. Making your own seeds doesn't mean your gonna sell anything. 50 years ago we didn't buy seeds or clones. We all shared within our small circles. It was illegal. The odds you will find the one goes up when popping a lot of seeds. More people should start making their own seeds.

Just providing an additional perspective. A cultivar can either be a single plant/clone or something that is available as seeds.

Someone might have a breeding goal of combining some traits from a couple of plants. The fastest way to get there is to cross them and then find a plant that has that combination. That single plant is the cultivar. The seeds were just the breeder's work in progress in this case.

Someone else might select a mother from a seed cultivar. That would be your definition "All clones come from a cultivar made by someone. A Clone is a selection within a particular Cultivar.".

Totally agree with you about the seeds. I have never sold a single one, not that there's anything wrong with that, but have given away thousands. Fortunately seeds have always been legal where I live, growing them out unfortunately is not.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just providing an additional perspective. A cultivar can either be a single plant/clone or something that is available as seeds.

Someone might have a breeding goal of combining some traits from a couple of plants. The fastest way to get there is to cross them and then find a plant that has that combination. That single plant is the cultivar. The seeds were just the breeder's work in progress in this case.

Someone else might select a mother from a seed cultivar. That would be your definition "All clones come from a cultivar made by someone. A Clone is a selection within a particular Cultivar.".

Totally agree with you about the seeds. I have never sold a single one, not that there's anything wrong with that, but have given away thousands. Fortunately seeds have always been legal where I live, growing them out unfortunately is not.

There is only 1 definition of Cultivar so im not following when you split up clones and seeds there both from the same Cultivar. Maybe someone else can explain it better than I can. The seeds made are from a cultivar, the clone for those seeds is a cultivar. It's not my definition there is only 1.. None of my posts says any different.

cul·ti·var
noun: cultivar; plural noun: cultivars
  • a plant variety that has been produced in cultivation by selective breeding.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
and thats the pity ... only once in 20+ years of growing have we come across an 'elite' , n being old and stupid didn't take a cutting... and it was a cheap...cheap seed... a jock horror from nirvana, a knockoff of jack herer.... since that time we have gone thru 3packs of jock, and even bought a pack of jherer, and nothing close ...

not being in the 'click' , we must rely on seeds , and we have spent mucho $$$$ , buying from the 'top breeders' (i'm being nice) , n have come across some 'good' plants, but an elite... not even close...

least you're honest.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I do OG Kush and Critical Mass, and both are elite cultivars. The source doesn't matter.

Elite is the best of it's kind. We are talking about cannabis. If we look to the breeders to see what they are working with to find the next best thing, then we are looking at the elite.

We are getting drawn in, when looking for the elite of the elite. The king and queen amongst the lords and ladies. Things drift too fast for the best to remain that way. Look at people. The next generation is ... well usually.... better. Take your elites and breed with them. Select. Find better. What we have now is better than 20 years ago. Things move forward constantly. New is better and the old get old.

If you want this elite of the elite, get breeding. That is where it comes from, and it won't last. You will breed with it and make better. The best breeding program, is the biggest breeding program. Not just a pack of 10, but many more. It's a profession and when you find that plant, look what it has cost you.
Lets break it down. I pick my next seeds from catalogues and forum posts, then fly to the Dam to try them all. Then I run them all twice, to pick the best. It's cost me thousands in research and time and growing rubbish in a space that could of done better. If I get a keeper, it's cost me thousands. If I get one.
Am I going to sell you a cutting for £3.50 ?
No, am I fuck. I will keep my elite, my best of the best, until it's not anymore. Then you can have my elite, that's not elite anymore. Least, not a king and queen. It will still be a Lady.

Another angle on this, is who judges?
Is what sells best, not the elite. Do we judge the product or the production value.

I have a bag of green here. When I call it elite, does it get more interesting?
Personally I feel disdain towards the elite labeling of things.

Cutting only will generally mean an F1 were the best was selected, but seeds are unlikely. It's that new is better thing. If something is outstanding, then by definition it may have no close phenotypes to attempt a quick breeding program. The further it strays from the expected, the more likely the next generation will revert back. If it's really good, then yes it's elite. If it's not, then why keep it anyway.

Squarely on topic, get an OG Kush that's not crossed with hype. Hype is the latest taste or look, and has no bearing on production matters. Doing 100 hypes to find the best is pointless and nobody wants it next year. Commercially the Crit is great, but you have to say it is hype. Nobody knows what the hype is until you show them. They don't think they want critical though, because they want you to earn no money from them. They want to hear you could be doing crit, but are instead doing this 11 week strain that makes these tight little buds covered in sugar, dotted up the frame. So you have to ask a little bit more for it. It's an elite cutting that crossed the world as a tissue sample as it can't come as seeds. Sweet smooth smoke, with long lasting clear high. Blar Blar. Then give them crit.

In honestly, my crit is crit kush. I won't stray far from proven genetics

Red October

and thats the pity ... only once in 20+ years of growing have we come across an 'elite' , n being old and stupid didn't take a cutting... and it was a cheap...cheap seed... a jock horror from nirvana, a knockoff of jack herer.... since that time we have gone thru 3packs of jock, and even bought a pack of jherer, and nothing close ...

not being in the 'click' , we must rely on seeds , and we have spent mucho $$$$ , buying from the 'top breeders' (i'm being nice) , n have come across some 'good' plants, but an elite... not even close...

😂😂 I've read you saying that in so many threads, I love it!! I'm in a similar situation and have to rely on bought seeds mostly and it's alot of money, time and effort trying to find something good.

I particularly enjoyed your rants at reeferman, made me laugh so hard!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
😂😂 I've read you saying that in so many threads, I love it!! I'm in a similar situation and have to rely on bought seeds mostly and it's alot of money, time and effort trying to find something good.
I particularly enjoyed your rants at reeferman, made me laugh so hard!

when i started 20+yrs ago, i was one of the ones taking down the seedbay site, trying to get my hands on rez's beans- i still have a $hitload of em- some were good, i can name a few that sucked tooo.. at that time reeferman was another 'hot' breeder (there's that word again,... 'breeder').... bought prob 6 diff selection of beans, and they all sucked... even the birds won't eat em... BUT... to give him his due, a couple/few years ago we did sow one of his sourdiesel seeds, and it was pretty good, def not an elite but good enough where we ran it for a few runs...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are still some that share with others, it's never been all about the $. Every year this group gets smaller due to so many shitty people mixed in.. Even some that you thought kind will try and tare you down for petty reasons. Believe me, there aren't many that return kindness in any form anymore. The cannabis community is not what it use to be. It will never go back to what it was.

I hang onto keepers found for projects before they're let loose. All are shared freely at some point. It's def a lot of work making and finding killer plants. I can understand why some want to be compensated for their time. Some don't have the space to hunt for keepers. Keep in mind your getting something someone else thinks is killer. The only way you can get what you like is to pop as many seeds as you can to find your own killers, never stop doing that. This is why making your own is the best option. Seeds that cost a lot or are hyped up in no way means their gonna be killers in them. A $50 pack of seeds is just as good as a $300 pack IME.

Latest posts

Latest posts