What's new

WET VS DRY Trimming

HalfArsedFarmer

Judge: Mr. Hutz We’ve been in here for four hours. Do you have any evidence at all? ” “Hutz: Well, Your Honor. We’ve plenty of hearsay and conjecture. Those are kinds of evidence.”)

I've done both ways no one way is the right way.

Dry for me takes longer & I lose more heads while doing it.
Wet is quicker and I prefer this trim for making ice with.

That being said I still do both at different times of the year for my own reasons.
Lets just say I've never had anyone ask when I decided to trim my crop after partaking in the bounty.

To the point in the current climate old connections have been made again & mine is beating the old import hands down.

Last edited:
Whatever method gets me the gooiest, stickiest, good smoking product in the end. Sounds like dry trim is better.

Last edited:

SmokedLab

It depends a lot on the temperature you are drying the bud.

After a couple of years of testing , I can say that wet trimming (just post harvest) gets better buds if you cold dry them (under 5 C) . It takes much longer to dry though (2 weeks if negative pressure is induced , 3 weeks otherwise).Dry trimming on cold dried bud is less tasty , just because there are more baby leaves left .

With regular temperature drying , dry trimming is obviously the best option. Paper bags seem to help hold the flavor even more.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Depends on the cutivar, the fat pistol types get trimmed wet, the slim pistol types get a rough trim at chop and a final trim just before the jar.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
I'd been trimming wet for 30 years
I'll health meant I couldn't trim as normal so I had no choice but to cut and hang ..
Omg it's so much easier ,
1 cut off fans
2 leave in dark 2 days
3 chop off and hang
4 trim as required
Can't believe how much easier

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I will not lie, I love terps. I've wet trimmed for nearly 2 decades and hated dry trimming. Now I use a hybrid.

Cut branches, trim all non-frosty leaf, hang at 69F for max enzymatic activity without terpene loss until outer flower/sugar-leaves are dry. Strain/temperature dependant on how long, so yes it takes some work to dial in.

Then it's cut, seal, let rehydrate, open and burp as necessary at 68 to 69F. Varying temps, hydration and pH causes different terpenes to form from the same precursors and enzymes. The risk of mold is significantly higher, it takes several days to a week, and a hygrometer is needed to learn what 55RH cannabis feels like. I'm even leaving the sugar leaves on as the grow was clean and the flavor of them is amazing as well.(edit: some strains are good, others are better with the sugar leaves removed. wld *cough*cough*)

The pleasure of sampling a bit each day as the enzymes polymerize the terps and cannabinoids is insane. I've never experienced such rapid flavor changes, including from bowl to bowl sometimes. Now things have almost stabilized and are curing, the flavor and effect changes are much slower to evolve.

Never going to hang till 'crack' again unless I absolutely must.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trimming semi dry should never alter the Aroma/flav of your flowers. Dry trimming doesn't mean your flowers are completely dry. Only the outer leaves are dry. The flowers still need time after trimming to get a stable 58% Rh before storing/packaging. Wet trimming will def releases a ton of chlorophyll that can make your weed taste/smell like grass/hay. No one I know trims wet or completely dry.. All plants are semi dried in totes until the plants are ready to trim.

Douglas.Curtis

Well, I wet trimmed and dried till 'crack' for forever and guess what? I only had grassy smell when not fed and faded properly, then kept in too hot/wet conditions. The bad taste comes from nute filled sap, chock full of chlorophyll like you said.

It's been many years since I've smelled grass or hay from my cannabis. Thankfully. ;)

(Edit: Enzymatic activity stops when the plant cells dry out. The sugar leaves are used as the main moisture wicks, keeping most of the flower hydrated and polymerizing. I don't want to trim them till after the cure. So, I guess I dry trim now??)

Last edited:

TPFTFW

Veteran
This thread says you're incorrect, there are several here who understand this the same as I do. I happen to prefer a much more tightly manicured flower, which is much more difficult trim cleanly when dry. Personal preference.

As long as the slow dry is accomplished correctly, the end result is the same, minus trimming differences.

Who are you, and what exactly are you asking for here?
Do you see a bunch of leaf in this photo?

Welcome to ICMag! I have no recollection of you asking, yet my albums are plainly available for you to browse through. :tiphat:
Yes there’s a lot of leaf there
Do you not think so?

Douglas.Curtis

Very small sugar leaves, yes. In retrospect, it would have been more informative if I had included a pre-trimmed shot. lol

Does not matter anyway now, I wet trim only non-frosty bits and dry/cure everything else. It is more of a pain than before, because now I have to pick off leaf before I smoke it. The sugar leaves are veeery important during the burping process, for maximum enzymatic response in the flowers themselves.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm pleased that the beat goes on.

Disregard my nostalgia if you like, tell me I'm wrong if I don't even pick a side, but I am still going to be impressed by the tenacity of the thread.

Hiddenjems

I have been wet trimming and drying in a climate controlled room for years. My flower is always the strongest tasting in the area, it’s a deathstar cut.

Most importantly let the plants finish. They should have almost completely stopped nute uptake, this is really easy to measure with drain to Rez flood tables and expanded clay pebbles as medium.

The next part is just what works for me. I think either wet or dry can work great as long as you’ve worked out the bugs and developed your system.

The trimmed buds go into my sealed room on racks at 60-65* and 35% rh for one day. I walk the humidity up to 55% and the temp up to almost 70* over the next 3 days. After that it’s only a few more days before the flowers are ready to store.

The key for me was getting enough moisture out at first to prevent mold, but not burn off terps. The really low temp/low rh thing just happened to do that for me in my space.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Bag appeal is nothing more than eye candy :) Because I grind everything up, if it got sugar on it, it remains. Wet 4 me. Why? Less manipulation :)

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Remove fan leaves
Hang dry for 7-10 days.
Trim.
Paper bags in layers untill dry
Jars for 2weeks.
Ready for consumers

Has never let me down. Last year I had to wet trim my outdoor because I spotted some mold on lower branches. While it saved my harvest an the mold didn't spread, the smell an taste was ruined. Reminded me of the bs commercial bud that goes for dirt cheap....

Douglas.Curtis

Bag appeal is nothing more than eye candy :) Because I grind everything up, if it got sugar on it, it remains. Wet 4 me. Why? Less manipulation :)
Knew a cocktail waitress from the sands who would coffee grinder all their flower as soon as they got it. F'n gross... so much more palatable and less sleepy when the frosty leaf is removed before smoking.

Then again, a bit less than 50% of the population has less taste/smell ability than the more sensitive folk, so I understand not being bothered by lower quality. I make topicals out of frosty leaf instead of smoking it. ;)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Knew a cocktail waitress from the sands who would coffee grinder all their flower as soon as they got it. F'n gross... so much more palatable and less sleepy when the frosty leaf is removed before smoking.

Then again, a bit less than 50% of the population has less taste/smell ability than the more sensitive folk, so I understand not being bothered by lower quality. I make topicals out of frosty leaf instead of smoking it. ;)
Do you have comprehension problems as well. I make mari-pills out of it!