What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, bummer. I put the pot in jars yesterday and today it was only 46%. I added a Boveda 65 and it's coming up but I recall reading that once it goes below 50% curing is affected and even rehydrating wont allow a proper cure. Not sure if that is 100% true or not.

I rolled a joint and it tasted pretty ok. A tiny sweet with too much limonene that stings the tongue a little. Overall, not bad with decent buzz for such an early sample.

I'll monitor the jars for changes throughout the week. Hoping to put those 2 Bruce Banner on the hook next week. They sure look yummy.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I dont completely agree....yes dry trimming is going to knock of trichome heads but wet trimming grabs trichome heads because they're easily punctured and sticky.
In my experience, you can bash my flowers everywhere and torture them... and they'll still have a lot more trichomes than most. ;) I've seen what most growers produce, and I can see where the caution about 'losing trichomes' would be a valid issue. Dry trimming (due to how I grow my flowers and my own personal preferences) is a big mess for me.

Losing trichomes... lol it isn't even a tiny concern on my radar. :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I've always taken off all fan leaves before harvest. Stopped watering two days before they get cut down. I grow in a greenhouse so total darkness isn't really an option.
In the past I would mostly wet trim as it was more efficient for me. (Do what you can when you can). I do three month cures on everything before it gets donated to patients. I will try a dry trim this season. I felt I was protecting the trichomes. I'm so gentle with the plants I don't think it would make a difference.
Thank you all for your help and input.
Peace farmerlion

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Well, these 2 Bruce Banner went into the drying tent today. I still say this simply looks like I did a shitty job of wet trimming. LOL I took all the fan leaves and most any leaf where I could cut it right at the stem and not have to dig into the bud to get to it. Mostly bracs and smaller leafy stuff are left (as you can see in the pic). If I had left the fan leaves, most of them were dying or yellow. I can't imagine that leaving dying or dead leaves on during drying is good???

Question: Do you do the dry trim BEFORE you put it in the jars to cure? Or, after the cure?

Last time I tried a dry trim, I simply ended up with crummy, chlorophyll tasting buds. LOL The leafy stuff that was left on after the 'dry trim' (or, lack of trimming as it were) became part of the bud and wasn't really conducive to picking off.

I suppose we shall see. Even if it doesn't come out perfect this time, it should be a learning experience.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 63

cyat

Veteran
Less chance of turning to hay from being too wet . I don’t know the science behind it but I know it is a food grade plastic and not all plastic behave the same . Jars are great for long term . There is more room for error initially

CrushnYuba

I don't see the point in during in Turkey bags and then transferring to jars. Both will turn your weed into hay if you do it wrong. A Turkey bag tied is pretty air tight. The reason people cure in Turkey bags is because they have too much weed to fit into jars. Most Turkey bags are polyester or nylon. The harder the plastic, the better. You can feel different brands of turkey bags. The stiff crinkly ones behave allot like glass. The soft ones arent much better then a big ziplock.

Turkey bags are used the same way as jars on a larger scale. I only use them for storage.
If you want less of a chance to turn your weed into hay, use paper. A cardboard box or paper bag breaths and is forgiving. Anyone i turned on to the cardboard box, never went back. Burping and praying for what? We are just trying to slow the dry. Why make it laborious. Throw it in a cardboard box for a while

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I used cardboard boxes and paper bags forever. I just recently started trying other stuff.

I really like using the drying tent. I can totally control the temp and humidity and there's plenty of room to dry a pound or 2 without crowding. I have hung them and I have used the screen racks (OK for fluff but they flatten buds). I have used boxes and paper bags in the tent.

Those 2 Bruce Banner are damn near dripping wet at day 2. I will lower the tent from 55% to 50% for a day or 2 and then back up to 55%. Sound OK?

CrushnYuba

I used cardboard boxes and paper bags forever. I just recently started trying other stuff.

I really like using the drying tent. I can totally control the temp and humidity and there's plenty of room to dry a pound or 2 without crowding. I have hung them and I have used the screen racks (OK for fluff but they flatten buds). I have used boxes and paper bags in the tent.

Those 2 Bruce Banner are damn near dripping wet at day 2. I will lower the tent from 55% to 50% for a day or 2 and then back up to 55%. Sound OK?

55 is fine. Leave it. 50 it's really Ok also. You should dry it as slow as you can without getting mold. These are small indoor buds. I wouldn't be worried about getting mold at 55.

They are dripping wet? I'm sure at 55 it's drying. What makes you think they are dripping? The leaf is limp right? Day 2 the leaf should be limp but it shouldn't be shrunk down or anywhere close to being dry.

Lightmeup209639

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If u keep buds in a jar, don't close lid, cus any moisture content and u you can forget them, they will go ‘sour’ in no time, and putrid with a horrible pukey smell, like rotting hemp. Unsmokable too! Ur gonna wish you left them green!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] :dancer:[/FONT]​

'Boogieman'

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If u keep buds in a jar, don't close lid, cus any moisture content and u you can forget them, they will go ‘sour’ in no time, and putrid with a horrible pukey smell, like rotting hemp. Unsmokable too! Ur gonna wish you left them green!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] :dancer:[/FONT]​

This has not been my experience. I often say fuck it after a couple months and stop popping lids and the smoke the difference is barely noticeable.

Mr. J

Ya once the buds are cured you can leave them alone. If they're rotting on you then they're not cured, simple as that.