What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bag appeal shouldn't be a factor when choosing what to grow or buy. Lots of uneducated smokers look for bag appeal. High THC or super frosty plants does not mean they will be good. Hemp can look super frosty and have great bag appeal. Looking at it you would not know it isn't drug type. The best weed I've smoked was not super crusted high THC weed.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yer so silly Switcher, figuring people will remember some comment you made pages ago.

The way you post it sounds like you are smoking anything frosty. Get yer head outta yer ass and pay attention to context, yeah? Lol. Don't mess with the Zohan or all yer idiocy will be Neon lighted wherever you choose to display it. Lol

:tiphat:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Yall are too funny. my boys who grow all say the sme thing yet my wet trimmed buds are always the best smelling out of the whole crew. i realy find it hard to believe doing it either way makes a huge difference as long as youre doing it the correct way.
Huge difference. The wet trimming 99% of people do, does in fact damage trich's. Which results in lower potency, and less smell(not much less potent, but some) . I would say your flowers smell better than your friends, you're prolly a better grower. Lots of things effect the final smell, besides how it was trimmed.

revegeta666

I agree dry trimming is better for a better final product and I do that with my indoor harvests.

But what about those who grow outside and wash the harvest? There's so much gunk and dead bugs on outdoor weed, this is the reason why I trim before doing a quick wash and hanging the plants. I feel like washing the buds with the leaves on could lead it to mold easier.

Anyone here washes their buds and dry trims later on? Just curious.

Also @Hammerhead I agree bag appeal means absolutely nothing. I come from Spanish forums where the quality of a strain is judged only by how big and frosty its buds look on pictures. Even growers with 20-30 years experience. It's shocking really.

Meanwhile some of the best weed I ever grew, was so ugly looking that my friends don't even want to taste it at first. You insist on them taking some buds home, and the compliments on the quality eventually come a few days later when they finished smoking them.

Last edited:

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
@revegeta666
I never did washing but i usually have no big outdoor harvest, some single dead fly maybe coming off when the weed is dry... But i'm curious how you do the washing, do you spray with water or really dunk the buds under water?

Yeah, outdoor weed has often a bad reputation, but that mostly coming from people who are not growing by themself. Of course indoor you can have perfect conditions to grow perfect potent buds but that's not all that matters!? At any case i like the idea of sunlight more, it's only natural right!? Just gives me a good feeling. :)

revegeta666

@revegeta666
I never did washing but i usually have no big outdoor harvest, some single dead fly maybe coming off when the weed is dry... But i'm curious how you do the washing, do you spray with water or really dunk the buds under water?

Yeah, outdoor weed has often a bad reputation, but that mostly coming from people who are not growing by themself. Of course indoor you can have perfect conditions to grow perfect potent buds but that's not all that matters!? At any case i like the idea of sunlight more, it's only natural right!? Just gives me a good feeling. :)
Washing outdoor weed has nothing to do with quality. I will smoke the same clone grown outdoors over indoors everytime. The sun is the life I agree. Weed just gets dirty. I have been washing the harvest since I first checked the trichomes with a microscope outdoors. There's a lot more stuff than a dead fly, at least where I live. Washing it doesn't have any negative effect on quality, resin doesn't dissolve in the water.

I followed this advice I read on another forum: 3 buckets filled with 20 L of water each. The first one with half a cup of bicarbonate, the second one half a cup of squeezed lemon juice, and the third one just water.

I take a branch and dunk it in the bicarbonated water and gently swirl it around for 30-40 seconds. Same thing with the lemon water, and lastly just the water. After that I hang the whole branches and have an oscillating fan on them for 1-2 hours until there is no excess water in the bud. Then they go to dry as usual.

That will detach funghi spores, bug shit, lacewing wings (lol real story), eggs, spiderwebs and dirt that got on/inside the buds because of the wind. The amount of shit that floats in the water afterwards is ridiculous.

It's well worth it in my opinion

revegeta666

@Mitsuharu if you remember I posted pics of a few plants in a different thread yesterday. I cut them down 2 hours ago and took some pics for you. These are just taken randomly, not looking for the worst parts.
2022_07_21_17_53_29_102.jpg

2022_07_21_17_55_50_539.jpg

2022_07_21_18_07_56_229.jpg

2022_07_21_17_54_56_288.jpg

2022_07_19_13_02_27_707.jpg

Not the end of the world I know but they are dirty.

This is a random lower bud, after washing and quick drying.
2022_07_21_17_52_43_715.jpg

If there's any loss in resin as I've seen some people argue, it's not noticeable to me.

Ca++

Found drying it with leaves on faster, as it's more plant matter loosing moisture. Leaves left on, that are pulling moisture from the stem, not taken off, slowing drying.
Trimming dry was much faster. You can just brush leaves away. Shaping up buds quickly without need for scissors. This is why dry trimming machines are so much cheaper.
The loss of sugar was evident in the constant shower falling in the light. Even unhooking plants from the line, would shake their neighbours enough to cause a resin shower.

It's unfortunate, as just chopping out whole plants then later tumble trimming would clear flower space so much quicker, and half the workload. It's just not a good product though.

Yes.. quite contrary. Though logical.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Pick the big fans off. Wash whole plants. I like using at least 2 buckets and a hose on standby. Then you can break the plant down and hang branches. If possible, leaving space between hanging brnaches. Lot harder for mold to form if it doesn't have anywhere to make a home.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Washing outdoor weed has nothing to do with quality. I will smoke the same clone grown outdoors over indoors everytime. The sun is the life I agree. Weed just gets dirty. I have been washing the harvest since I first checked the trichomes with a microscope outdoors. There's a lot more stuff than a dead fly, at least where I live. Washing it doesn't have any negative effect on quality, resin doesn't dissolve in the water.

I followed this advice I read on another forum: 3 buckets filled with 20 L of water each. The first one with half a cup of bicarbonate, the second one half a cup of squeezed lemon juice, and the third one just water.

I take a branch and dunk it in the bicarbonated water and gently swirl it around for 30-40 seconds. Same thing with the lemon water, and lastly just the water. After that I hang the whole branches and have an oscillating fan on them for 1-2 hours until there is no excess water in the bud. Then they go to dry as usual.

That will detach funghi spores, bug shit, lacewing wings (lol real story), eggs, spiderwebs and dirt that got on/inside the buds because of the wind. The amount of shit that floats in the water afterwards is ridiculous.

It's well worth it in my opinion
An to think I've never washed my outdoor crops🤢. I'll be washing them this year, thank you for this

revegeta666

An to think I've never washed my outdoor crops🤢. I'll be washing them this year, thank you for this
Even though I don't think anyone is gonna die for smoking a few bug eggs, if you are a little obsessive about these things like I am then I think it's worth a try :) I have only been washing my buds for a couple of years but I will keep doing it in the future for sure.

xet

Even though I don't think anyone is gonna die for smoking a few bug eggs, if you are a little obsessive about these things like I am then I think it's worth a try :) I have only been washing my buds for a couple of years but I will keep doing it in the future for sure.
We wash our apples and lettuce so why not :smoke:

Squirrel Master

Man I never ever thought about washing my plants. I’m growing indoors inside a sealed 4x8 with co2 and I’ve never had pests. But I’m sure a few get in. My biggest problem is rogue cat hairs that I transfer while watering. Even though the cats are never even on the same floor as my room and I diligently inspect myself for those buggers I’ll still find one or two stuck to a bud. Very annoying. Hopefully a wash can remove those.
Anyway i just wet trimmed my harvest and as an experiment I left one plant hanging alone in another room to be dry trimmed. The first couple days the wet trimmed bud reeked like hay and the “control” plant left alone did barely.
6 days into drying and the wet trim has lost a lot of the hay smell while the control plant just effing stinks like bud, no hay smell. I’m already leaning hard towards dry trimming from now on but I’m very curious to see the finished comparison.
:canabis:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What temp are you trimming/drying at? I have not consistently experienced the grassy smell when wet trimming, only a few times the last 15 years. Those were overfed at harvest time and trimmed/dried too warm. ;)

Squirrel Master

What temp are you trimming/drying at? I have not consistently experienced the grassy smell when wet trimming, only a few times the last 15 years. Those were overfed at harvest time and trimmed/dried too warm. ;)
Well I trimmed outside on the screened in porch and it was in the low 80s and moderately humid. The plants were left inside the dark and dry grow room as they were harvested one by one.
The breeders recommended feed regimen of median was very accurate for all phenos.
Nutes were cut off 14 days before harvest
I’m drying at 68f and 55rh.
Been putting together this giant green puzzle for 5 years now and just when you think you have all the pieces… it gets bigger!! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:😂
It’s a fun puzzle but not exactly a cheap one