What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

dry trimmer here.

i would evn go so far to guess that if you are trying to improve trichome production and it's harvest time, letting them go dry first will make them push out more nuggets... and reduce the drying time greatly.

not sure how this would affect smoothness of the smoke or the genetic viability but it could be worth an experimental plant.

D

DHF

This thread`s run it`s course , especially since we still have folks posting their opinions instead of reading the earlier posts that most assuredly must convince all here that environment where you are geographically is the most important factor in HOW you dry and cure depending on HIGHER or LOWER RH values where you are in the world ok ?......

Gonna ask the mods to close this thread so it doesn't continue the perpetual waste of bandwidth with the "he said /she said" bullshit.......

To each his own...Caveat Emptor....Let the buyer beware.....Folks will do what they`ll do..........Free will and all that.....

Whether or not they figure out the most proven way to dial their setup where they are is subjective at best.....that said.....

Leave your fans on for insulation if you`re out west with low rh levels during the drying process , and strip all fans with stems before hangin bucked limbs in high rh environments for insurance against airborn pathogens........

It ain`t rocket science , but rather runs under yer belt and dialage.....

This thread is done.....DHF......:ying:.....

Wooderson

Okay, okay, I've been trying to avoid it, but I have to say this:
Last month I saw something that both amazed and disgusted me, the most innovative abomination in the trimming world I have yet seen.
Let me elaborate; a friend of mine had a few pounds of some exodus cheese (Perhaps a little drier than it should have been because of the dehuey), room was co2 enriched and the solidity and structure of the nugs reflected that, I noticed they were all too well trimmed to be true (and a good few less trichomes were visible on the exposed portions of the herb than on the insides where all remained unspoiled), and enquired how he had accomplished this.
He went on to sheepishly tell me that the gentleman who owned the property where it all went down had involved himself in the "trimming", and after about an hour of slow progress he had disappeared. Shortly after, he returned armed with a normal, hard bristle toothbrush, convinced that it would do a better job than the scissors he had been provided with. My friends were quick to scorn this idea, and returned to trimming, leaving him to his own devices.
An hour or so later, they noticed that this man and his toothbrush were removing leaves a lot faster than 2 seasoned trimmers combined. Shock, horror, disarray in the workplace!
It ended up with everyone using the toothbrush method, the bristles get into all the little gaps and gently break off all the tiny leaves, end product looks literally leafless, work was completed in drastically shorter than usual, and my mate was left with a great deal of high quality trim to process into extracts.

Definitely not the way to approach your personal stash, but felt that I should share the story for the sake of oddity (and as mentioned above, the sheer innovative abominableness of it all).

Very interesting, just to clarify this were already hung dried plants correct?

N

NorC@liGrower

This thread`s run it`s course , especially since we still have folks posting their opinions instead of reading the earlier posts that most assuredly must convince all here that environment where you are geographically is the most important factor in HOW you dry and cure depending on HIGHER or LOWER RH values where you are in the world ok ?......

Gonna ask the mods to close this thread so it doesn't continue the perpetual waste of bandwidth with the "he said /she said" bullshit.......

To each his own...Caveat Emptor....Let the buyer beware.....Folks will do what they`ll do..........Free will and all that.....

Whether or not they figure out the most proven way to dial their setup where they are is subjective at best.....that said.....

Leave your fans on for insulation if you`re out west with low rh levels during the drying process , and strip all fans with stems before hangin bucked limbs in high rh environments for insurance against airborn pathogens........

It ain`t rocket science , but rather runs under yer belt and dialage.....

This thread is done.....DHF......:ying:.....
:biggrin:

St3ve

So the answer is...it depends.

And if that's the answer, why can't we keep discussing it?

oh if it were only that simple.. sadly though, people will come in here for the first time and try to tell everyone that their way is obviously the best way and everyone else is stupid. :tiphat:

at least, that is what always happens in controversial threads like this one. As DHF stated, pretty much all of the different points of view have been explored so there really is no where else to go but down.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you guys can have a discusion without insulting each other there is no resone to close it..This is not personal keep that out of your discussions. What works for some may not work for others keep that in mind.. This thread will get closed if people are insulting others. If its a civil discussion there's no need to close it . That's my penny's worth

if you guys can have a discusion without insulting each other there is no resone to close it..This is not personal keep that out of your discussions. What works for some may not work for others keep that in mind.. This thread will get closed if people are insulting others. If its a civil discussion there's no need to close it . That's my penny's worth

Agreed, we are all after the same thing here killer nugs! Theres waay too many experienced folks on these forums not to take heed to what they are saying. Worst of all insulting people means you aren't stoned enough or dry?
Let's smoke a fatty a reflect on the topic at hand shall we :smoke out:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
i always did it wet a lot easier to work with, leaves that dry around buds are harder to work with and u loose all that kief

mtbazz

I am now convinced more than ever that drytrimming is the way to go.

Last couple of harvests I cut the plant and let the whole thing hang to dry for a week or so than trimmed dry.

A couple of weeks ago I had to cut the cola off one of my plants due to mold issues and I let the rest of the plant finish.

The cut cola I trimmed right away and dried the buds (after throwing away the moldy parts).

The stuff that was trimmed wet than dried has much more of a grassy smell than the stuff that was dried slower and trimmed dry. Even after two weeks in a jar it still does not have the same pleasant aroma that the other stuff (slow dry, trim when dry) has.

B

BasementGrower

so u like dry trim or wet trim . for final product.. mtbazz ? lol very confusing post.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Everyone who is saying wet trim here -you should include where the herb you dry goes,and if you have tried dry trimming a couple times. I believe the point of this thread is to clarify what can be done to herb to bring out the ultimate qualities in taste and smell. I think this is focused on people who really love to smoke there own perfectly dried herb with friends and family. Not the seller producer type, but any personal grower that truly loves herb and isn't too lazy(sorry people but its true) will eventually switch to hanging wet plants then trimming once dry. If you really try side by sides of wet vs dry you will convert to dry trimming. If you really want the tastiest herbs possible dry trimming is it.The only excuse to chop plants apart wet is when mold is present. I dont care about looks, and amounts of labour, this is about bringing up the quality of the smoke! Dry trim wins always.

vapor

Veteran
I love to smoke my buds. Wet trim i see 3 or 4 times as much resin on scizzors then dry[ like my resin on the plants]. I find when it is wet and trimmed i have to go over it again, if done dry it is done when i trim. Trimm over a mirror and a sift screen.The least amount of time i can handle the buds the better quality in the end. I noticed buds are beat up more with my scope when i do the wet trim. So no more wet trim here. Dry and handle as little as possible. west coast rain forest association

RB56

Veteran
I just dried a bunch of branches in the growing orientation instead of hanging them upside down. Idea is to get the leave to hang away from the bud instead of wrapping around it. Varies by plant but the result was from OK to excellent.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
So lets say you have 120 hours of wet trimming to do. If you left it and let it dry, how long would it take to clip the same amount of herb, dry? I am thinking it would double the time? What do you guys think?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So lets say you have 120 hours of wet trimming to do. If you left it and let it dry, how long would it take to clip the same amount of herb, dry? I am thinking it would double the time? What do you guys think?
organic o,,depending on what strain,,i would say to trim dry would take,, easy treble the time! and would be a total nightmare,,imagine if your using hand trimmers, they will have finger cramps for days lol all those trics hitting the ground,,,a total nightmare,,imho,,peace and regards s2

Latest posts

Latest posts