What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WET VS DRY Trimming

vapor

Veteran
trimming dry is faster then wet on plant/time.This last run, we did this test{lol memories} wet and dry, with haze plants kush plant would be quicker imo. 1 plant would take 8 hours to trim wet {7-8 oz dry weight}. When let it dry, 8 hours trimming 30 oz{dry weight}. More scizzor hash times 3 or 4 wet then dry. Bottom line trimming wet did much more damage then good{this is not one or two plants}. Dry plants looked much nicer under the scope...

All good posts and offers solid points of view from all directions. I am going to go with dry trimming for now and here's why I am going to do it:

From what I've read here on the forums, the buds(thc) become psychoactive as they age after harvest. When we trim we collect that sticky icky on our fingers, scissors, etc and smoke it.

Why not let that sticky icky age first then it's really good to smoke when you clean it off?
Seems to me that wet trim would be less potent?

I'm sure someone has made that point previously and I missed it, so my hats off to you!
Nice posts everybody good reads.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All good posts and offers solid points of view from all directions. I am going to go with dry trimming for now and here's why I am going to do it:

From what I've read here on the forums, the buds(thc) become psychoactive as they age after harvest. When we trim we collect that sticky icky on our fingers, scissors, etc and smoke it.

Why not let that sticky icky age first then it's really good to smoke when you clean it off?
Seems to me that wet trim would be less potent?

I'm sure someone has made that point previously and I missed it, so my hats off to you!
Nice posts everybody good reads.
keep a big piece of plastic and/or a mirror to catch all the trics,,you will be suprised how much can be collected,,good luck,,,s2

St3ve

Everyone who is saying wet trim here -you should include where the herb you dry goes,and if you have tried dry trimming a couple times. I believe the point of this thread is to clarify what can be done to herb to bring out the ultimate qualities in taste and smell. I think this is focused on people who really love to smoke there own perfectly dried herb with friends and family. Not the seller producer type, but any personal grower that truly loves herb and isn't too lazy(sorry people but its true) will eventually switch to hanging wet plants then trimming once dry. If you really try side by sides of wet vs dry you will convert to dry trimming. If you really want the tastiest herbs possible dry trimming is it.The only excuse to chop plants apart wet is when mold is present. I dont care about looks, and amounts of labour, this is about bringing up the quality of the smoke! Dry trim wins always.

oh the arrogance.. thank you for proving DHF's point though
:deadhorse:

/another vote to close the thread

D

DHF

It`s all good St3ve....Just proof positive that folks will do what they`ll do ...and swear by it without comparison for comparison`s sake......

As long as folks who see this thread only go by the last page of posts instead of actually reading ALL posts as a collective of knowledge from all opinions and experiences , the small grower`s mentality of trimming dry is gonna prevail , so bottom line is......

Getting product to 62% RH and holding by all and any means necessary before stored and sealed for market is what needs to occur regardless of opinions on bullshit wet or dry removal of excess foliage after the chop....guaranteed......

Happy Independence Day guy`s.......and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:......

Greenheart

Veteran
I usually let my scissor hash sit in a small tin for a week or as long as I can stand waiting.

The main reason I prefer wet trimming is that I can easily nip the trash fans and tips away from the sweet leaf and then run back over everything with microtips cutting all the trimmed sweetleaf off by the base of the stem leaving virtually untouch buds on a stick to hang back up till the snap comes then trim each of those off the stick into my curing jars. Taste, smoothness, and potency are always there so long as the genetics are there and the cure was done right. So having trimmed and cured both ways I went with what works best for me.

The only thing in the thread that makes me even reconsider my choice for a moment is this.

When you harm most plant's they produce cis-3-hexenal. This VOC gives cut grass it's smell, it has a very low odor threshold of about 0.25 parts per billion.

Any more science out there? I'm not trying to knock individual palate or placebo beliefs but science and research will be needed to prove how much of a difference it will really make.

dry trim, makes smells come out more, I can leave whole plants hanging for like 2-3 weeks and they never dry out completely. Then just pull off the leaves by fingertip. No hay smell ever, only if I wet trim.

D

DHF

dry trim, makes smells come out more, I can leave whole plants hanging for like 2-3 weeks and they never dry out completely. Then just pull off the leaves by fingertip. No hay smell ever, only if I wet trim.
Once again.....Proof positive that folks don`t read the entire thread for all points of view , but rather post absolutes about how THEY trim , dry , and cure dope as THE way to do it........

This thread will continue to go back and forth as long as someone else sees the thread so they can post "their" way , and this shit boils down to environment and equipment needed or NOT needed to gain that perfect 62% before curing process occurs or goin to market.......

Kush T......If I left my shit hangin for up to 3 weeks with all the fans left on the plants and wrapped around everything , what I`d end up with is rotten nuggage turned to mulch where I live in the Hell of the dirty south with 80-95% RH 24/7/365 , so again.......

I refuse to keep postin in this fiasco of a thread that will be nothing but waste of bandwidth from now till it`s closed if folks don`t realize that where you live means more than "how" you go about dryin and curin.....

In High RH environments , as well as with large amounts of product to process , it`s best to buck limbs , get rid of ALL foliage to facilitate the drying process , and keep from "rotting" the end product.....

All you folks that live in "drier" areas with lower RH levels , it benefits you to let the fans wrap around the limbs/nuggage and "prevent" premature drying out of said material to "preserve" and maintain proper taste and smell profiles..... once brought under the proper time frames for your geographic location.......regardless.....

Small room growers will always testify that dry trimming is the way , the truth , and the light , but if you ever had a room full of bucked limbs WITH all the fanleaves gone and humidity was STILL 100% with dehuey`s blastin wide open , you`d sing a different song guaranteed......anyways....

Many ways ta skin a mule.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
No matter were you live we could/should all be drying at the same humidity. I use 60% and it has worked best for me. I have never dried above 70% humidity,but less than 60 and this dry out to fast. I set a dehumidifier outside my drying room and keep it set a 60%.
Then pull in dehumidified air in the dry room, over the plants slowly. I see we can't settle this wet vs dry, but I am wondering do we agree around 60-62% humidity is best?

Also does anyone have anymore science based evidence of a conclusive answer here? We had a few people earlier talking about this, but I am sure there is a science to this. That is what we need, I suspect as others have stated, when we cut the plant wet, hormones/chemicals are releases that contribute to that hay smell /rough taste that so much herb gets. When you leave it dry first you avoid those hormones being released. It makes sense to me(I used to wet trim for years!), but we do need someone with a scientific knowledge of Cannabis to speak up in order to really decide this debate.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran

I have 2 options for you instead of closing this thread.
1. Be civil and debate like a grown up
2. Leave and forget about it

Seriously lets just get along and there is no reason to close this thread!

blastfrompast

Veteran
Dry vs wet...hrm...

Wet trim with some ambiant lighting from a 400 will turn my WW almost White from its normal fade of yellow/light green...Smokes fruitier...10 day dry...Not worth the effort to me.

I trim wet normally, 6 day dry, sweat, dry, jar, burp, burp, burp. hang dry whole stems on stringers,Anything bigger than my forearm gets broken down...unless its my sativa..Those get done on a screen and dry in 3-4 days....this is lower-end..

M'eh Dry trim is too hard...I do it for outdoor...hang plants in gazebo...and just trim after a week...just knock off fan leaves...get a super fade with these.

m'eh I'm stoned, those are my thoughts...have a great weekend.

Fred,

what about if you pulled all the fan leaves and hung it that way, was what I meant. If you can maintain a 60-65% RH I think that is the best way for drying/curing, for forcing the plant to use up any remaining carbs (buds are still living, even while drying), and to retain terpenes -- by leaving the sugar leaves on. Not to say one absolutely can't trim wet, the question is what do people prefer. Good points about the RH and geographic location though.

Also I totally see dry trimming as far quicker than wet. Dry trimming requires one to remove the fan leaves from the individual branches or the whole plant and let hang dry. Then when it is time, remove the crisp leaves that should more or less just fall off -- much quicker than processing the plant wet, so commercially I can't see how wet would be better than dry when it comes to quality, but I can see how wet would be preferred for commercial reasons, since the bud will dry faster.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
we actually reached a consensus pages ago that it depends on where you are living, but in general YOU WANNA DRY ASL SLOW AS YOU CAN WITHOUT EVERYTHING GETTING MOLDY. THE END.

as for wet and dry it's down to preference.

...then someone reads the last thread, bumps it with THEIR OPINION on how to trim and we start all over again with all the bitchin...

D

DHF

Fred,

what about if you pulled all the fan leaves and hung it that way, was what I meant. If you can maintain a 60-65% RH I think that is the best way for drying/curing, for forcing the plant to use up any remaining carbs (buds are still living, even while drying), and to retain terpenes -- by leaving the sugar leaves on. Not to say one absolutely can't trim wet, the question is what do people prefer. Good points about the RH and geographic location though.

Also I totally see dry trimming as far quicker than wet. Dry trimming requires one to remove the fan leaves from the individual branches or the whole plant and let hang dry. Then when it is time, remove the crisp leaves that should more or less just fall off -- much quicker than processing the plant wet, so commercially I can't see how wet would be better than dry when it comes to quality, but I can see how wet would be preferred for commercial reasons, since the bud will dry faster.
If you read back on my later posts when I was still attempting to provide civil and logical reasons for both sides of the coin both wet AND dry KT , you`d see that in fact I ALWAYS dried with sugar leaves attached , and once brought into proper parameters of that perfect 62% to jar and bag end product , I held all my finished nugs in 5 gal pickle buckets for at least a month to properly cure said end product for the best possible smells , terpene , and taste profiles.....and yes.....

I could be classified as a "commercial" grower , but I assure all here that my end product was in NO way inferior to dry trimmed nugs regardless of the amounts involved at the time of the trim , dry , and cure process......

Folks read the WHOLE thread before passing judgement or just voicing your "opinion" as gospel when nothing could be further from the truth.....and seedsoffreedom...sure....

In a perfect world environment HAS to be controlled for proper dehumidification and evaporation so the plants CAN dry slowly and process all the chemical changes to preserve and in fact "create" more complex profiles as an end result , but again.....

As I stated earlier in the thread when I grew outdoors for many yrs before going inside , I DRY trimmed for weeks at a time with monster ass sativa-zillas and ......

I found out the HARD way after losing whole plants to greymold and budrot AFTER the chop that what works for me back then to present day where I live was and IS to buck limbs , remove ALL foliage except the sugar leaves , and be done with worrying about product loss.....period....anyways.....

Nuff outta my old ass in this thread.....KT....No disrespect intended....You either SOF.......

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:.....

Thanks DHF. When the time comes for bigger yields, etc I will take your advice and switch up to wet trim. It makes sense with so much foliage creating humidity.
My geo has low RH so we've been leaving foliage for now. We had a small portion dry too fast :yuck:

So the answers are official imo or at least I've got the picture now!
Peace y'all

Dkgrower

Veteran
Fresh trim, if u want to preserve the trichomes - to many gets shaked off in dry trimming its also a major pain to remove the larger leaves when the they wrap the buds

Dkgrower

Veteran
we actually reached a consensus pages ago that it depends on where you are living, but in general YOU WANNA DRY ASL SLOW AS YOU CAN WITHOUT EVERYTHING GETTING MOLDY. THE END.

as for wet and dry it's down to preference.

...then someone reads the last thread, bumps it with THEIR OPINION on how to trim and we start all over again with all the bitchin...

Thats what i did

N

NorC@liGrower

Basically yeah. Drying/curing is really more of an art. You can't rush it. Then comes 'commercial' growing and having to push it out the door as fast as you can :)

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i dunno who is trolling you guys with the thumbs downs on your posts. illogical. here's some k+ to make up for it.