What's new

We Never Perceive Reality Directly

Jbonez

Veteran
NT's are Intuitive Thinkers, the small group of people that make up the intellects in our society, of which you are apparently one of.. as am I, and a handful of others on this site, we need little direction, are typically autodidacts and are easy to get along with, provided we deal with each other, small talk and low IQ's tend to piss us off.

Research your type, I say ENTP, find a mbti, will clear up alot of reasons why you are having these thoughts, I go through the occasional existential crisis myself to, its not your fault, its cognitive predisposition.

My wife for example is an NF, a feeler, something I cannot rationalize using to make decisions, and I feel is the counter to logic at times... Im a florida boy myself, and Ive been married for 10 years man, and we fight like cats and dogs, she thinks Im literally crazy, but she also thinks Im the most intelligent person in the world, so its a trade off, I guess... lol

Actually im changing my prediction to INTP, you know there are forums for guys like us, nothing but topics you would understand, we arent social butterflies, nor do we care to be, but if you want to know where we congregate lemme know..

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
mmm.. im not sure why you have this revelation about perception.

yes sure, we ''see'' or at least we experience vision through sensory perception. so like you said, reflected light from an object is interpreted by our eyes, then nerves to the brain and processed into something we regonise as ''seeing''.

we studied this age 15 in school. its not a profound vision or subject -anyone whos around 25 years and under most likely covered this in school.

true. but we seem to live our lives as if we perceive reality as it IS, in other words we take life at face value, while what we really are perceiving is information (data) and NOT the objects that we believe are there.

our awareness is like a browser that transforms html language into what we perceive on the monitor...in other words Consciousness is digital, and we are basically living in a virtual reality.

this is not my fantasy, it is a scientific fact, even though the majority of scientists are trying to deny that it's so, and are continuing to shove a square peg into a round hole.

eitherway... this is is why we have a conflict of belief SF, because if your gonna be philosophical or get scientific you need to step back and see it from every angle.

to see it from every angle will lead to confusion, because there are too many of these angles, and from my perspective the direction of not-knowing what all this really IS helps to get closer to the truth.

because, fundamentally the truth is unknown, at least intellectually

we can and do experience the truth directly every moment, but this can only be confirmed in one's own moment to moment experience...beliefs, assumptions, and hearsay won't help us since they are all secondary processes and only REPRESENT or mis-represent what's really there in reality.

...and by reality I do mean the unknown phenomenon that is primary, authentic, and original, i.e. the fundamental nature of EVERYTHING there IS.

i took different subjects over the years including chemistry and biology media studies etc. the reason i add that is because i remember when we were studying advertising in media studies which reminds me of this point of yours.
if for example, a crime is commited. and the police officer asks 3 different witnesses what they saw and writes it down.

although they may all be telling the truth, their perception of events may be slightly different. so in essence there is no such thing as the truth. all the ''truth'' consists of is a person's or perception.
so the word truth is basically a loose term is you split hairs but il get back to that.

these are perceptions based on a person's beliefs and assumptions, so they are NOT in the domain I'm talking about, they are in the conceptual domain, while I'm pointing at what is there BELOW this surface, or behind the curtain, etc.

you argue that we dont live in a reality... well it depends how you want to look at it. reality is a man made word. we invented it to describe the consciousness we live in. reality exists with mans existance. without us the word has no meaning thus reality wouldnt exist.

so you are really questioning the words which make up our understanding of the word. they are tools, you can argue that they dont mean much which is partly true. but your emphasis is on the meaning of the words rather than the concept it seems.

all we have is words to communicate this stuff, so it's an undertaking that will fail, no matter how clear I or anyone else can explain.

I'm writing this stuff, so that anyone interested in knowing the truth, can do so in their own experience

because after all, where are we going to find the truth, but DIRECTLY in our own experience...right?

coming back to ''seeing'' or vision
well, you say we only see light etc that was your point. well if i see something as green, it is green, if i touch something that feels solid, then it is.
so actually everything i perceive is what it is. because humans invented all the words which i use to describe those sensory perceptions. other people may say ''hard'' rather than ''solid'' but thats a language thing.
if we ceased to exist none of these things would exist because they have no meaning without us. the universe exists because we are here to exist in it.

On the surface, green is green, solid is solid, and this is all good, but I'm trying to point at the nature of EVERYTHING there IS, not at our interpretations of it, which are in-direct.

our perception is our reality, its the only reality there is for us. if we didnt exist would the universe exist? does it matter? because if we didnt exist it could be real or not, it doesnt matter because there would be no one to see that it wasnt there.

without our awareness...there is NOTHING, but then again, this points toward the true nature of any distinction that actually exists

because when there is no distinction between things...there is nothing...for example if everything was black, or white, or whatever color, and there was no contrast, there would only be that ONE thing, and it would be ITSELF, and as-itself, and for-itself

so, these kinds of contemplations can point toward the true nature of reality and help us to move toward the truth

obviously the truth will always remain unknown, but this is not a problem for Consciousness, it is only a problem for the SELF

similar to that other thing people say. if a tree falls in the woods and no one saw it, how do you know it fell? its all pointless.
the only thing that matters is whatever and however we have come to be here, wether we are in the matrix or whatever you want to perceive as your own reality, we can feel happyness, we can cry, we can smile, we feel love, we hate. wether its real or not you can watch a beautiful sunset in summer drinking a beer enjoying the company.. if thats not real? fuck it i like not being real!! enjoy it!
i think therefore i am (René Descartes). thats all thats important.

I agree with you 100%. The problem is that we can't enjoy it and can't be happy while we believe and assume that we are a self that divides everything into negative and positive chargesin order to navigate this unknown experience on a moment to moment basis.

that's why the false-self needs beliefs and assumptions and why it needs pain, pleasure, desire, suffering

how else would the self know what to do in EVERY circumstance it experiences on a moment to moment basis?

It wouldn't

Which shows that ALL our perceptions ARE survival-mechanisms and NOTHING but survival-mechanisms.

just to quickly add, your title is completely flawed.

how can we not ''Perceive Reality Directly'' its flawed before you even question it. whos reality is it we need to be perceiving? the statment cancels itself out.

The reality as in what actually THERE, and NOT what you perceive, which is NOT reality, but an INTERPRETATION of reality

these are two DISTINCT things

...i'm sure that you actually feel what I'm pointing at, and if you step back away from your beliefs and assumptions for a moment you will realize what I'm trying to get across

:tiphat:

here's an interesting video where a scientist explains why reality is nothing but data (information). It is long, but really interesting if you are interested in Consciousness (everything that there IS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn7qNMfOMQU

:thank you:

southflorida

Veteran
NT's are Intuitive Thinkers, the small group of people that make up the intellects in our society, of which you are apparently one of.. as am I, and a handful of others on this site, we need little direction, are typically autodidacts and are easy to get along with, provided we deal with each other, small talk and low IQ's tend to piss us off.

Research your type, I say ENTP, find a mbti, will clear up alot of reasons why you are having these thoughts, I go through the occasional existential crisis myself to, its not your fault, its cognitive predisposition.

My wife for example is an NF, a feeler, something I cannot rationalize using to make decisions, and I feel is the counter to logic at times... Im a florida boy myself, and Ive been married for 10 years man, and we fight like cats and dogs, she thinks Im literally crazy, but she also thinks Im the most intelligent person in the world, so its a trade off, I guess... lol

Actually im changing my prediction to INTP, you know there are forums for guys like us, nothing but topics you would understand, we arent social butterflies, nor do we care to be, but if you want to know where we congregate lemme know..

http://www.personalitypage.com/ENTP.html

what a trip, it's as if someone wrote a summary of my life :biggrin:

Jbonez

Veteran
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/high-level.html

interesting information about personality types...thanks J

:ying:

All one need do is type a few words, Ill peg their cognitive prowess based on this alone, typing people allows me to assess whether someone is capable of receiving the data I am presenting them with .... Intuition is like a fuckin superpower, we see the future, we know things others couldnt, the box mentality is one of ignorance, or refusal to comprehend... My brain has no such limits, its not just math, science, religion, its everything man, no limits... Yet we are so very pathetically stupid in this world, so stupid... all of us...

You Ne dominant based on your typing... A trait of a perceiver... NTP so whats the rest? are you I or E, lemme know...

Jbonez

Veteran
And some people are not capable of perception, so It stands to reason some will never perceive, in which they favor their Judgement...

INTJ for example is an intellect, the scientist type, but are usually not open to data unless its objective, they have no room for abstract thinking... They are second in intelligence only to the INTP, Einstein was this, hence my quote...

ENTJ, for example are the wealthiest people in the world, clever, know what they want, how and when, and dont care who gets in their way, you must watch out for these guys, they will use you....

ENTPs and INTPs get along best, which is why Im comfortable in this thread..

Jbonez

Veteran
infp can be more similar to intp, depends on the weight of cognitive bias, you have more in common with me, than you do other INFP's, this I can assure you, sucks being a thinker, you want to turn it off, but you cant....

southflorida

Veteran
infp can be more similar to intp, depends on the weight of cognitive bias, you have more in common with me, than you do other INFP's, this I can assure you, sucks being a thinker, you want to turn it off, but you cant....

that f*cking F really surprised me too.

I definitely have an F element, but the T is dominant no doubt.

Yeah thinking never stops, I even feel it when I open my eyes...it's like always on over-drive...lol

Jbonez

Veteran
that f*cking F really surprised me too.

I definitely have an F element, but the T is dominant no doubt.

Yeah thinking never stops, I even feel it when I open my eyes...it's like always on over-drive...lol

I got F before, just depends on the test... Some of the questions you want to identify with, and answer accordingly, but its not accurate..

Ive tested Intp, most, entp, intj, and infp once...

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
true. but we seem to live our lives as if we perceive reality as it IS, in other words we take life at face value, while what we really are perceiving is information (data) and NOT the objects that we believe are there.

our awareness is like a browser that transforms html language into what we perceive on the monitor...in other words Consciousness is digital, and we are basically living in a virtual reality.

this is not my fantasy, it is a scientific fact, even though the majority of scientists are trying to deny that it's so, and are continuing to shove a square peg into a round hole.

to see it from every angle will lead to confusion, because there are too many of these angles, and from my perspective the direction of not-knowing what all this really IS helps to get closer to the truth.

because, fundamentally the truth is unknown, at least intellectually

we can and do experience the truth directly every moment, but this can only be confirmed in one's own moment to moment experience...beliefs, assumptions, and hearsay won't help us since they are all secondary processes and only REPRESENT or mis-represent what's really there in reality.

...and by reality I do mean the unknown phenomenon that is primary, authentic, and original, i.e. the fundamental nature of EVERYTHING there IS.

these are perceptions based on a person's beliefs and assumptions, so they are NOT in the domain I'm talking about, they are in the conceptual domain, while I'm pointing at what is there BELOW this surface, or behind the curtain, etc.

all we have is words to communicate this stuff, so it's an undertaking that will fail, no matter how clear I or anyone else can explain.

I'm writing this stuff, so that anyone interested in knowing the truth, can do so in their own experience

because after all, where are we going to find the truth, but DIRECTLY in our own experience...right?

On the surface, green is green, solid is solid, and this is all good, but I'm trying to point at the nature of EVERYTHING there IS, not at our interpretations of it, which are in-direct.

without our awareness...there is NOTHING, but then again, this points toward the true nature of any distinction that actually exists

because when there is no distinction between things...there is nothing...for example if everything was black, or white, or whatever color, and there was no contrast, there would only be that ONE thing, and it would be ITSELF, and as-itself, and for-itself

so, these kinds of contemplations can point toward the true nature of reality and help us to move toward the truth

obviously the truth will always remain unknown, but this is not a problem for Consciousness, it is only a problem for the SELF

I agree with you 100%. The problem is that we can't enjoy it and can't be happy while we believe and assume that we are a self that divides everything into negative and positive chargesin order to navigate this unknown experience on a moment to moment basis.

that's why the false-self needs beliefs and assumptions and why it needs pain, pleasure, desire, suffering

how else would the self know what to do in EVERY circumstance it experiences on a moment to moment basis?

It wouldn't

Which shows that ALL our perceptions ARE survival-mechanisms and NOTHING but survival-mechanisms.

The reality as in what actually THERE, and NOT what you perceive, which is NOT reality, but an INTERPRETATION of reality

these are two DISTINCT things

...i'm sure that you actually feel what I'm pointing at, and if you step back away from your beliefs and assumptions for a moment you will realize what I'm trying to get across

here's an interesting video where a scientist explains why reality is nothing but data (information). It is long, but really interesting if you are interested in Consciousness (everything that there IS).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn7qNMfOMQU

:thank you:

i am coming closer to seeing where your coming from.
have you ever thought that maybe language as a tool we use my be one of the limiting factors here? how can we use words to describe something outside of our reality without using words from our reality to describe and study it?

i think basically that reality the concept of it, the meaning etc are gonna be different to every person. i dont think there is a wrong or right answer to this. so although i respect what your think, ive gotta say that theres issues which i and others will disagree with. it is not a exact science and thus it leaves us to have some creativity as to what we do beleive. i read a book about the space time continuum a while back and i often have questions about existance. i read and watch too much and i think too much too. but since im not qualified enough and i will never be one of the top philosophers i choose to take a back seat and just enjoy my life. although its interesting im leaving this to the experts to decipher...

thcglory

The ONE truth.

The ONE truth.

NASA claimed they have/had an alien working for them.
According to an ex employee ..
The name burt Schneider ?? or somebody schneider Springs to mind.Hmmn
Ltr with info.

Mann theres loads of youtube info on him and pretty sure this isnt the vid ive seen before..

his name is phil schneider.
dead,killed himself or not in '95 bla bla...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs4emKd_fG4

Like you all,Talks alot.

Ever realise an answer is never through the words you speak,hear etc.
Your catching on su and then you'll realise one day what a waste of time in answering,"but i was having fun"..or more like this is what i said at the time.
This of i from another forum is whats going on.
What is IS, *******. So your Talking of gods doing in creating us amongst other things'!!!
Now the talk produced [and followings/influence from that] is from "us"...
Man is the image.
look what talk has made of man..
[But focus on our awesome Achievements ;)]

Lots of judgement by how intricate one speaks/writes i see and that then leads one to believe of standards etc.. [computer,laptop etc is comfortable especially if you have "a good fire going" ;)]...!???
As ive stated.. Master of puppets [to phrase] is HOLDING the strings Not pulling.
Meaning we are all of god.So BEHAVEEE :) and be true.

tE

Also,:), may seem contrary but IF YOU DONT TALK you gotta listen. ;)

southflorida

Veteran
okay, i know with all the celebration going on in relation to wa and co legalizing weed, this might not interest many, but still the folks that are grasping that life IS NOT the way it seems might want to watch this 1 hour 38 minute video where Thomas Campbell explains how Consciousness creates this virtual reality that we are experiencing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wgw2SFE8yE&feature=plcp

this might shock anyone that is open-minded and is starting to actually doubt that this is a physical reality.

...P.S...just in case anyone that reads this and doesn't watch the video, the reality that we are living in IS NOT physical, it is virtual, and only appears as it is physical so we can play in this game called life AS IF it is real. If we didn't believe it was real we might stop playing it...right?

Jbonez

Veteran
SF, Ima get with ya, uber busy atm... did I mention Ive been pretty close your neck of the woods?? I remember traveling through Istanbul on our way to Romania, Bulgaria and Ukraine.. Anywho Ill hit ya soon, laterz..

thcglory

the reality that we are living in IS NOT physical, it is virtual, and only appears as it is physical.. [you in you bloood ;)]

IM THE LIZARD KING ;) :D: :woohoo:

southflorida

Veteran
Interesting "Long-Ass" Article About Reality Being Holographic:

In 1982 a remarkable event took place. At the University of Paris a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect performed what may turn out to be one of the most important experiments of the 20th century. You did not hear about it on the evening news. In fact, unless you are in the habit of reading scientific journals you probably have never even heard Aspect’s name, though there are some who believe his discovery may change the face of science.

Aspect’s experiment is related to the EPR Experiment, a consicousness experiment which had been devised by Albert Einstein, and his colleagues, Poldlsky and Rosen, in order to disprove Quantum Mechanics on the basis of the Pauli Exclusion Principle contradicting Special Relativity.

Aspect and his team discovered that under certain circumstances subatomic particles such as electrons are able to instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance separating them. It doesn’t matter whether they are 10 feet or 10 billion miles apart.

Somehow each particle always seems to know what the other is doing. The problem with this feat is that it violates Einstein’s long-held tenet that no communication can travel faster than the speed of light. Since traveling faster than the speed of light is tantamount to breaking the time barrier, this daunting prospect has caused some physicists to try to come up with elaborate ways to explain away Aspect’s findings. But it has inspired others to offer even more radical explanations.

University of London physicist David Bohm, for example, believes Aspect’s findings imply that objective reality does not exist, that despite its apparent solidity the universe is at heart a phantasm, a gigantic and splendidly detailed hologram.

To understand why Bohm makes this startling assertion, one must first understand a little about holograms. A hologram is a three- dimensional photograph made with the aid of a laser.

To make a hologram, the object to be photographed is first bathed in the light of a laser beam. Then a second laser beam is bounced off the reflected light of the first and the resulting interference pattern (the area where the two laser beams commingle) is captured on film.

When the film is developed, it looks like a meaningless swirl of light and dark lines. But as soon as the developed film is illuminated by another laser beam, a three-dimensional image of the original object appears.

The three-dimensionality of such images is not the only remarkable characteristic of holograms. If a hologram of a rose is cut in half and then illuminated by a laser, each half will still be found to contain the entire image of the rose.

Indeed, even if the halves are divided again, each snippet of film will always be found to contain a smaller but intact version of the original image. Unlike normal photographs, every part of a hologram contains all the information possessed by the whole.

The “whole in every part” nature of a hologram provides us with an entirely new way of understanding organization and order. For most of its history, Western science has labored under the bias that the best way to understand a physical phenomenon, whether a frog or an atom, is to dissect it and study its respective parts.

A hologram teaches us that some things in the universe may not lend themselves to this approach. If we try to take apart something constructed holographically, we will not get the pieces of which it is made, we will only get smaller wholes.

This insight suggested to Bohm another way of understanding Aspect’s discovery. Bohm believes the reason subatomic particles are able to remain in contact with one another regardless of the distance separating them is not because they are sending some sort of mysterious signal back and forth, but because their separateness is an illusion. He argues that at some deeper level of reality such particles are not individual entities, but are actually extensions of the same fundamental something.

This fundamental connectedness would correlate with The Fifth Element, and its mathematical proof of all aspects of the universe being energetically connected – Hal Puthoff’s assertion in his work on Zero-Point Energy of all charges in the universe being connected and that further mass is in all likelihood an illusion as well — and both of these modern day theories of physics being in accordance with ancient traditions and philosophies, which claim the same connectedness of the diverse parts of the universe.

To enable people to better visualize what he means, Bohm offers the following illustration. Imagine an aquarium containing a fish. Imagine also that you are unable to see the aquarium directly and your knowledge about it and what it contains comes from two television cameras, one directed at the aquarium’s front and the other directed at its side.

As you stare at the two television monitors, you might assume that the fish on each of the screens are separate entities. After all, because the cameras are set at different angles, each of the images will be slightly different. But as you continue to watch the two fish, you will eventually become aware that there is a certain relationship between them.

When one turns, the other also makes a slightly different but corresponding turn; when one faces the front, the other always faces toward the side. If you remain unaware of the full scope of the situation, you might even conclude that the fish must be instantaneously communicating with one another, but this is clearly not the case.

This, says Bohm, is precisely what is going on between the subatomic particles in Aspect’s experiment.

According to Bohm, the apparent faster-than-light connection between subatomic particles is really telling us that there is a deeper level of reality we are not privy to, a more complex dimension beyond our own that is analogous to the aquarium. And, he adds, we view objects such as subatomic particles as separate from one another because we are seeing only a portion of their reality.

Such particles are not separate “parts”, but facets of a deeper and more underlying unity that is ultimately as holographic and indivisible as the previously mentioned rose. And since everything in physical reality is comprised of these “eidolons”, the universe is itself a projection, a hologram.

In addition to its phantomlike nature, such a universe would possess other rather startling features. If the apparent separateness of subatomic particles is illusory, it means that at a deeper level of reality all things in the universe are infinitely interconnected.

The electrons in a carbon atom in the human brain are connected to the subatomic particles that comprise every salmon that swims, every heart that beats, and every star that shimmers in the sky.

Everything interpenetrates everything, and although human nature may seek to categorize and pigeonhole and subdivide, the various phenomena of the universe, all apportionments are of necessity artificial and all of nature is ultimately a seamless web.

In a holographic universe, even time and space could no longer be viewed as fundamentals. Because concepts such as location break down in a universe in which nothing is truly separate from anything else, time and three-dimensional space, like the images of the fish on the TV monitors, would also have to be viewed as projections of this deeper order.

At its deeper level reality is a sort of superhologram in which the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously. This suggests that given the proper tools it might even be possible to someday reach into the superholographic level of reality and pluck out scenes from the long-forgotten past.

What else the superhologram contains is an open-ended question. Allowing, for the sake of argument, that the superhologram is the matrix that has given birth to everything in our universe, at the very least it contains every subatomic particle that has been or will be — every configuration of matter and energy that is possible, from snowflakes to quasars, from bluü whales to gamma rays. It must be seen as a sort of cosmic storehouse of “All That Is.”

Although Bohm concedes that we have no way of knowing what else might lie hidden in the superhologram, he does venture to say that we have no reason to assume it does not contain more. Or as he puts it, perhaps the superholographic level of reality is a “mere stage” beyond which lies “an infinity of further development”.

Bohm is not the only researcher who has found evidence that the universe is a hologram. Working independently in the field of brain research, Standford neurophysiologist Karl Pribram has also become persuaded of the holographic nature of reality.

Pribram was drawn to the holographic model by the puzzle of how and where memories are stored in the brain. For decades numerous studies have shown that rather than being confined to a specific location, memories are dispersed throughout the brain.

In a series of landmark experiments in the 1920s, brain scientist Karl Lashley found that no matter what portion of a rat’s brain he removed he was unable to eradicate its memory of how to perform complex tasks it had learned prior to surgery. The only problem was that no one was able to come up with a mechanism that might explain this curious “whole in every part” nature of memory storage.

Then in the 1960s Pribram encountered the concept of holography and realized he had found the explanation brain scientists had been looking for. Pribram believes memories are encoded not in neurons, or small groupings of neurons, but in patterns of nerve impulses that crisscross the entire brain in the same way that patterns of laser light interference crisscross the entire area of a piece of film containing a holographic image. In other words, Pribram believes the brain is itself a hologram.

Pribram’s theory also explains how the human brain can store so many memories in so little space. It has been estimated that the human brain has the capacity to memorize something on the order of 10 billion bits of information during the average human lifetime (or roughly the same amount of information contained in five sets of the Encyclopaedia Britannica).

Similarly, it has been discovered that in addition to their other capabilities, holograms possess an astounding capacity for information storage–simply by changing the angle at which the two lasers strike a piece of photographic film, it is possible to record many different images on the same surface. It has been demonstrated that one cubic centimeter of film can hold as many as 10 billion bits of information.

Our uncanny ability to quickly retrieve whatever information we need from the enormous store of our memories becomes more understandable if the brain functions according to holographic principles. If a friend asks you to tell him what comes to mind when he says the word “zebra”, you do not have to clumsily sort back through some gigantic and cerebral alphabetic file to arrive at an answer. Instead, associations like “striped”, “horselike”, and “animal native to Africa” all pop into your head instantly.

Indeed, one of the most amazing things about the human thinking process is that every piece of information seems instantly cross-correlated with every other piece of information–another feature intrinsic to the hologram. Because every portion of a hologram is infinitely interconnected with ever other portion, it is perhaps nature’s supreme example of a cross-correlated system.

The storage of memory is not the only neurophysiological puzzle that becomes more tractable in light of Pribram’s holographic model of the brain. Another is how the brain is able to translate the avalanche of frequencies it receives via the senses (light frequencies, sound frequencies, and so on) into the concrete world of our perceptions.

Encoding and decoding frequencies is precisely what a hologram does best. Just as a hologram functions as a sort of lens, a translating device able to convert an apparently meaningless blur of frequencies into a coherent image, Pribram believes the brain also comprises a lens and uses holographic principles to mathematically convert the frequencies it receives through he senses into the inner world of our perceptions.

An impressive body of evidence suggests that the brain uses holographic principles to perform its operations. Pribram’s theory, in fact, has gained increasing support among neurophysiologists.

Argentinian-Italian researcher Hugo Zucarelli recently extended the holographic model into the world of acoustic phenomena. Puzzled by the fact that humans can locate the source of sounds without moving their heads, even if they only possess hearing in one ear, Zucarelli discovered that holographic principles can explain this ability.

Zucarelli has also developed the technology of holophonic sound, a recording technique able to reproduce acoustic situations with an almost uncanny realism.

Pribram’s belief that our brains mathematically construct “hard” reality by relying on input from a frequency domain has also received a good deal of experimental support.

It has been found that each of our senses is sensitive to a much broader range of frequencies than was previously suspected.

Researchers have discovered, for instance, that our visual systems are sensitive to sound frequencies, that our sense of smell is in part dependent on what are now called “cosmic frequencies”, and that even the cells in our bodies are sensitive to a broad range of frequencies. Such findings suggest that it is only in the holographic domain of consciousness that such frequencies are sorted out and divided up into conventional perceptions.

But the most mind-boggling aspect of Pribram’s holographic model of the brain is what happens when it is put together with Bohm’s theory. For if the concreteness of the world is but a secondary reality and what is “there” is actually a holographic blur of frequencies, and if the brain is also a hologram and only selects some of the frequencies out of this blur and mathematically transforms them into sensory perceptions, what becomes of objective reality?

Put quite simply, it ceases to exist. As the religions of the East have long upheld, the material world is Maya, an illusion, and although we may think we are physical beings moving through a physical world, this too is an illusion.

We are really “receivers” floating through a kaleidoscopic sea of frequency, and what we extract from this sea and transmogrify into physical reality is but one channel from many extracted out of the superhologram.

This striking new picture of reality, the synthesis of Bohm and Pribram’s views, has come to be called the Holographic Paradigm, and although many scientists have greeted it with skepticism, it has galvanized others. A small but growing group of researchers believe it may be the most accurate model of reality science has arrived at thus far.

More than that, some believe it may solve some mysteries that have never before been explainable by science and even establish the paranormal as a part of nature. Numerous researchers, including Bohm and Pribram, have noted that many para-psychological phenomena become much more understandable in terms of the holographic paradigm.

In a universe in which individual brains are actually indivisible portions of the greater hologram and everything is infinitely interconnected, telepathy may merely be the accessing of the holographic level. It is obviously much easier to understand how information can travel from the mind of individual ‘A’ to that of individual ‘B’ at a far distance point and helps to understand a number of unsolved puzzles in psychology. In particular, Stansilov Grof feels the holographic paradigm offers a model for understanding many of the baffling phenomena experienced by individuals during altered states of consciousness.

In the 1950s, while conducting research into the beliefs of LSD as a psychotherapeutic tool, Grof had one female patient who suddenly became convinced she had assumed the identity of a female of a species of prehistoric reptile. During the course of her hallucination, she not only gave a richly detailed description of what it felt like to be encapsulated in such a form, but noted that the portion of the male of the species anatomy was a patch of colored scales on the side of its head. What was startling to Grof was that although the woman had no prior knowledge about such things, a conversation with a zoologist later confirmed that in certain species of reptiles colored areas on the head do indeed play an important role as triggers of sexual arousal.

The woman's experience was not unique. During the course of his research, Grof encountered examples of patients regressing and identifying with virtually every species on the evolutionary tree (research findings which helped influence the man-into-ape scene in the movie, Altered States). Moreover, he found that such experiences frequently contained obscure zoological details which turned out to be accurate.

Regressions into the animal kingdom were not the only puzzling psychological phenomena Grof encountered. He also had patients who appeared to tap into some sort of collective or racial unconscious. Individuals with little or no education suddenly gave detailed descriptions of Zoroastrian funerary practices and scenes from Hindu mythology. In other categories of experience, individuals gave persuasive accounts of out-of-body journeys, of precognitive glimpses of the future, of regressions into apparent past-life incarnations.

In later research, Grof found the same range of phenomena manifested in therapy sessions which did not involve the use of drugs. Because the common element in such experiences appeared to be the transcending of an individual's consciousness beyond the usual boundaries of ego and/or limitations of space and time, Grof called such manifestations transpersonal experiences, and in the late ’60s he helped found a branch of psychology called transpersonal psychology devoted entirely to their study. Although Grof's newly founded Association of Transpersonal Psychology garnered a rapidly growing group of like-minded professionals and has become a respected branch of psychology, for years neither Grof or any of his colleagues were able to offer a mechanism for explaining the bizarre psychological phenomena they were witnessing. But that has changed with the advent of the holographic paradigm.

As Grof noted, if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange.

Perhaps, in Creating Reality, we have already become – as in Star Trek, The Next Generation – a Q of the Continuum or we are part of a consciousness virtual reality experiment.

The holographic paradigm also has implications for so-called hard sciences like biology. Keith Floyd, a psychologist at Virginia Intermont College, has pointed out that if the concreteness of reality is but a holographic illusion, it would no longer be true to say the brain produces consciousness. Rather, it is Consciousness that creates the appearance of the brain as well as the body and everything else around us we interpret as physical.

Such a turnabout in the way we view biological structures has caused researchers to point out that medicine and our understanding of the healing process could also be transformed by the holographic paradigm. If the apparent physical structure of the body is but a holographic projection of consciousness, it becomes clear that each of us is much more responsible for our health than current medical wisdom allows. What we now view as miraculous remissions of disease may actually be due to changes in consciousness which in turn effect changes in the hologram of the body. Similarly, controversial new healing techniques such as visualization may work so well because in the holographic domain of thought images are ultimately as real as reality. Even visions and experiences involving non-ordinary reality become explainable under the holographic paradigm.

In his book Gifts of Unknown Things, biologist Lyall Watson describes his encounter with an Indonesian shaman woman who, by performing a ritual dance, was able to make an entire grove of trees instantly vanish into thin air. Watson relates that as he and another astonished onlooker continued to watch the woman, she caused the trees to reappear, then click off again and on again several times in succession. Although current scientific understanding is incapable of explaining such events, experiences like this become more tenable if hard reality is only a holographic projection.

Perhaps we agree on what is ‘there’ or ‘not there’ because what we call consensus reality is formulated and ratified at the level of the human unconscious at which all minds are infinitely interconnected. If this is true, it is the most profound implication of the holographic paradigm of all, for it means that experiences such as Watson’s are not commonplace only because we have not programmed our minds with the beliefs that would make them so.

In a holographic universe there are no limits to the extent to which we can alter the fabric of reality.

What we perceive as reality is only a canvas waiting for us to draw upon it any picture we want. Anything is possible, from bending spoons with the power of the mind to events experienced by Carlos Castaneda during his encounters with the Yaqui brujo don Juan, for Magic is our birthright, no more or less miraculous than our ability to compute the reality we want when we are in our dreams.

Indeed, even our most fundamental notions about reality become suspect, for in a holographic universe, as Pribram has pointed out, even random events would have to be seen as based on holographic principles and therefore determined.

Synchronicities or meaningful coincidences suddenly makes sense, and everything in reality would have to be seen as a metaphor. Even the most haphazard events would express some underlying symmetry.

Whether Bohm and Pribram’s holographic paradigm becomes accepted in science or dies an ignoble death remains to be seen, but it is safe to say that it has already had an influence on the thinking of many scientists. And even if it is found that the holographic model does not provide the best explanation for the instantaneous communications that seem to be passing back and forth between subatomic particles, at the very least, as noted by Basil Hiley, a physicist at Birbeck College in London, Aspect’s findings indicate that we must be prepared to consider radically new views of reality.

thcglory

yea lol, Boyyy you can type SF.:D [can't imagine much copy/paste going on !]

BUT,a few lines an' im done bro ;) :dance013:
Some bits i do catch are interesting tho.. And im pretty sure now,you wrote all that.

offthehook

Veteran
Yo SF. As you already know I am in full support of the stuff you post.

But now recently, a friend who I have shown this stuff made this one argument...

If everything is 'just' a hologram, then why should we be ethic about our actions and not roam around like some Mao tse tung or hitler like figures not caring about other ppl's well beeing at all ?
I heared TOM C's promotion of love and peace and ofc we're all for it, but why couldn't we just feed the system all negativity it could digest since it's all just for sake of expanding information?

My personal idea's on this are, that with all implementations of newly written laws on public management, we will be heading this way again anyways. Like as if the story of our hologram is beeing written again into that direction.

Jbonez

Veteran
Im pretty sure my brain just exploded.

I do kinda agree about the frequency business, what I find interesting is that we are made of atoms, yet atoms themselves are made of quantum particles, paralleling this dimension, or "reality" and another.. Yet here we are, as if manifested, not really as solid as we think..

Latest posts

Latest posts