What's new

WaterFarm droopy yellow leaves issue

G

*EDIT*

Harvested!

Thanks everyone that helped me out!

Harvest thread. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=88722

==================

I just got a couple of new cuts *Kali Mist* and they were in rockwool and rooted when I obtained them, they show spotty yellow spots on their leaves and they're drooping I don't suppose this is from light burn, the light is sitting 22" above the plants. The pH in each bucket is 5.7 and 5.9 respectively. They are on 18/6 cycle with water on 24/7 since it's a WaterFarm and I was told I can let it go 24/7 w/o worrying.

I did overnute the first day I did my math wrong instead of putting in 2.5ml x 2gal = 5ml which is about 1tsp, i put in 5tsp. I realized the mistake the next day and replaced the water with RO water and the 1tsp of each nute per bucket.

Any ideas on what I can do to make them better and less droopy?

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
looks like the overfert kicked in or overwatering ......... i have seen waterfarms go both ways on 24/7 just keep a eye on them and keep ur nutes low for the time being....
ph can do that to plants to if its to low make sure you ph is on like you say

G

if you don't know the ppm of your water, you'll need to get a tds meter. labels are suspect. i'd guess you are now overwatering.

I don't think you should be running an aquafarm 24/7 with rockwool cubes in the hydroton.
If the cube is damp all the time it will cause a problem like yours.

G

hydroflower said:
I don't think you should be running an aquafarm 24/7 with rockwool cubes in the hydroton.
If the cube is damp all the time it will cause a problem like yours.

I left the system off overnight and they perked up more, so it was either over nute or over water. What cycles should I run the system with?

Perhaps not the cycles 11/2 hours between for 10 mins is ok. Keep increasing the frequency until your giving them max water without a wet cube, but the rockwool cube needs to be above the level at which the irrigation enters the pot.
If the water comes into contact with the cube it will become to wet.
Try lowering the dripper ring further down the pot.

Last edited:
G

I cut off the water completely and raised the light and the results are good :)

full time daddy
Veteran
its overwatering for sure
rockwool dose it everytime untell the plant has lots of roots just keep a eye on it for watering times you will know when it needs watered each strain is not the same for on off times... Go by how she looks

G

00420 said:
its overwatering for sure
rockwool dose it everytime untell the plant has lots of roots just keep a eye on it for watering times you will know when it needs watered each strain is not the same for on off times... Go by how she looks

Much appreciated advice and to anyone else starting out waterfarms I'd just like to say do the setup/math calculations while you're not :joint: out of your mind, it helps with all that. :rasta:

G

00420 said:
hows she looking today?

I will post pics when the timer clicks the lights back on :) Oh and btw it's 2 different ones, but maybe my pics make it confusing to see.

tintala

you should put that air pump on a timer

you should put that air pump on a timer

Feed the plants 3 times a day.. that way it givest he rockwool chance to dry out. with a fan it will transpire even more.. I'd say you were overwatering them for sure, with it running 24/7? Your airpump should be on a timer that pumps the nutes 3 times at least a day.. then they air out..
this is just my opinion, i run a waterfarm as well and only givig my 2 cents.

Wait...What?

Veteran
you can submerge a plant in rockwool and the rockwool will still hold enough air to keep from drowning the plant. That is the entire point of rockwool. It holds water AND air.

In a waterfarm, if it looks like overwatering, its not. You're growing the plant in water so you CANT over water. Thats like saying you're overwatering with DWC. Its overfertilization. Your tap water probably has 150+ppm of nutrients already in it and babies dont need nor want strong nutes. Start with plain water and a few DROPS of nutrient. Less is always more when it comes to growing.

You stopped the watering and the plant perked up. imo if it were an overfert problem this would have made the problem worse.
You can certainly overwater with DWC if the water level in the tub is too high. If you have a rockwool cube in hydroton it cannot be wet all the time or your plants will suffer from overwatering.
Its true rockwool holds water and air but it only exchanges this air (oxygen) very slowly. Eventually the base of the stem may rot.

water level of the waterfarm is to high it is touching the brown bottom of the pot im sure...lower the level...the drip from the ring to the hydrotton is adding oxygen and it is supposed to drip from the bottom of the top pot to the bottom (there should be atleast a inch or two of space between the top pot bottom and the waterline in your rez)....two gallons is what you are supposed to use...never more...peace

Last edited:
in other words your system is over filled and you over fed your plants....fix those two things and you should be back on track in no time....peace

Last edited:
G

Alright, big update I suppose. First I was going a bit crazy because I come home from a reggae show and the plants look burned as hell! It was really warm in the room. I took down the mylar and replaced the RO water with nutrients with regular tap water without nutrients and adjusted pH for both buckets at 5.8. It's almost like a miracle how much they perked up. Check it out!

I will be taking out some hydroton as suggested and also use tap water as it seems to have the salt and calcium that the plants were probably craving since I used no cal-mag with the RO water.

Hopefully this all works out this is just day 5 of the transplant. I've done soil grows before and I had a much easier time maintaining the health of the plants. The hydro has been a very steep learning curve with many bumps for me even with all the forum reading I do here you can never have enough info it seems.

You will also notice the plants reaching for the light some when I took out the mylar so I lowered the light source.

Last edited:
G

These are the results of taking out some hydroton and having the drip ring be higher. It started to sprinkle around more and now the hydroton gets evenly watered as opposed to just the outer sides of the bucket dripping in.

I'm still a bit worried though and I really hope they do survive and grow healthier and stronger.

Last edited:
G

I trimmed off some dying leaves posted below and also took the first pic at 8 days.

Do they look good for 8 days having endured nute burn, overwatering and light burn? The 2nd plant that looks more yellowish I also had a spilling accident when I was messing around with the buckets so it got bruised a bit, other than that I'd love some opinions on their general health.

Last edited:

ubet28

When i used buckets i would set my timer for on an hour off an hour till there was substantial growth. i also read that you are not using cal mag. with r/o this is a must. Since you are not running a res you should make sure you are not filling the buckets up to full. I think they hold around 2 gallons of water

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts