What's new

WaterFarm droopy yellow leaves issue

G

ubet28 said:
When i used buckets i would set my timer for on an hour off an hour till there was substantial growth and also i read no cal mag with r/o this is a must. Since you are not running a res you should make sure you are not filling the buckets up to full. I think they hold around 2 gallons of water

Yeah I dropped the water in the bucket about 1-1.5" below the line and I hear the water landing and trickling now. As far as the timer goes I've heard mixed answers anywhere from 3 times a day to running it all day to on/off for 1hr. I'm not sure which one to go with yet.

I also switched to tap water now and I'm waiting on my ppm meter to come in the mail. It seems to have helped to switch to tap water, the overall health has improved.

Last edited:

ubet28

I f you lowered the water level the keep it on 24/7 for a couple of more days and see what happens. They say with the water farms to run them 24/7 but you want the water falling from the bottom of the brown bucket and splashing that is what is oxygenating the water. I also ran air stones in the bottom of each individual bucket to try and keep the nutrients mixed and to add oxygen. Like i said before my only downfall to the water farms is no circulation. If i was to go back to dwc i would break down and buy the power grower from gh it has circulating system.

G

ubet28 said:
I f you lowered the water level the keep it on 24/7 for a couple of more days and see what happens. They say with the water farms to run them 24/7 but you want the water falling from the bottom of the brown bucket and splashing that is what is oxygenating the water. I also ran air stones in the bottom of each individual bucket to try and keep the nutrients mixed and to add oxygen. Like i said before my only downfall to the water farms is no circulation. If i was to go back to dwc i would break down and buy the power grower from gh it has circulating system.

They are connectible though right? So if you really wanted to you could hook them up to 1 main tank. I kind of want to do this as messing with them and lifting the brown bucket all the time to check ph and add nutes and all that seems to be a pain.

G

Just got the ppm meter and the tap water reads 250ppm. I have a quick question, why do people say not to let any light get in the res? Is this only when the roots are so developed they're in there and you can't expose them to light or are they talking in general?

tintala

i believe light allows algae to grow inside the buckets or reservoirs... neither should be see thru or transparent.

G

tintala said:
i believe light allows algae to grow inside the buckets or reservoirs... neither should be see thru or transparent.

Ahh ok it makes sense now, but with waterfarms when you lift the brown bucket out of the lighter colored big bucket and you're working on the water what are you supposed to do to keep the light out?

Are you supposed to only work on the buckets when it's dark time before the lights come on?

On a separate note I switched to RO water and obtained some cal-mag and now that I have my ppm meter I can see exactly what the water is at and I set it around 150 since it's still the first week. :wave:

Last edited:

tintala

skEwb said:
Ahh ok it makes sense now, but with waterfarms when you lift the brown bucket out of the lighter colored big bucket and you're working on the water what are you supposed to do to keep the light out?

Are you supposed to only work on the buckets when it's dark time before the lights come on?

On a separate note I switched to RO water and obtained some cal-mag and now that I have my ppm meter I can see exactly what the water is at and I set it around 150 since it's still the first week. :wave:
no that wont matter at all, as long as its not weeks of lite, i pull my buckets all the time tho, gotta see where the roots are and the water levels, so I wouldnt worry about too much lite while working on the bukcets. :wave:

ubet28

skEwb said:
Just got the ppm meter and the tap water reads 250ppm. I have a quick question, why do people say not to let any light get in the res? Is this only when the roots are so developed they're in there and you can't expose them to light or are they talking in general?

The tap water is not to bad I've heard of worse. You could mix 50/50 50% r/o and 50% tap that should bring your ppm down around 120. There are a few strains i have grown that did not do well in just r/o water. I would try that out and see how it works for ya. Remember when you do add nutes to take into count of the ppm of the water before nutes.

I my self start out around 500 ppm and adjust from there.

As for the light question that more pertains to someone with a res and tubing you do not want light hitting the water all the time you will have a major algae problem.

Last edited:
you did not understand what i said...lower the water level not remove hydroton or raise drip ring
skEwb said:
These are the results of taking out some hydroton and having the drip ring be higher. It started to sprinkle around more and now the hydroton gets evenly watered as opposed to just the outer sides of the bucket dripping in.

I'm still a bit worried though and I really hope they do survive and grow healthier and stronger.

G

upgradeshafted said:
you did not understand what i said...lower the water level not remove hydroton or raise drip ring

I guess I did both :) the end result ended up being better because now the drip ring sprinkles allover the surface and gets it all evenly wet, whereas before it was just over on the sides.

A quick update here they are at 9 days.

Last edited:
i guess i am hard to understand:redface:
ubet28 said:
The tap water is not to bad I've heard of worse. You could mix 50/50 50% r/o and 50% tap that should bring your ppm down around 120. There are a few strains i have grown that did not do well in just r/o water. I would try that out and see how it works for ya. Remember when you do add nutes to take into count of the ppm of the water before nutes.

As for the light question that more pertains to someone with a res and tubing you do not want light hitting the water all the time you will have a major algae problem.

tintala

skewb, so i have some super sliver haze x ak 47: mine have been in veg about a month now and arent even close to being that tall! Same set up tho in the waterfarm. Mine are like 5 inches tall! HMM thats wierd

Last edited:
G

tintala said:
skewb, so i have some super sliver haxe x ak 47: mine have been in veg about a monht now and arent even close to being that tall! Same set up tho in the waterfarm. Mine are like 5 inches tall! HMM thats wierd

Yes that def sounds weird because I totally screwed up every aspect and as you can see my 2nd plant has dead spots all over from a spill :(

This is kali mist I'm growing though and it is supposed to get tall that's what it said on the sticker when I got it, it said it may require training because it's a tall plant.

The #1 plant is 8.5" tall and the #2 is 8" tall. I also started mine in an unorthodox way if you will with 400watt mh light on them instead of flourescent. I had to build a heat shield made of plexiglass hanging off the light though, because they were getting heat burned and if the light was pulled up higher to prevent heat burn they were reaching. Once flowering starts they're going on 400watt hps.

I don't think you should worry much though, maybe yours are bushier and have more fan leaves? Do you have any pics?

Last edited:
G

ubet28 said:

The RO water once tested reads 1-3ppm so it's very filtered. I added magical to it, very similar to cal-mag it also has nitrogen and iron in it as well.

The ppm on mine since they're only like 10 days now is at about 175-200. No nutes yet just magical and ph adjust and water. Maybe around 14 days I'll add some nutes.

ubet28

skEwb said:
The RO water once tested reads 1-3ppm so it's very filtered. I added magical to it, very similar to cal-mag it also has nitrogen and iron in it as well.

The ppm on mine since they're only like 10 days now is at about 175-200. No nutes yet just magical and pH adjust and water. Maybe around 14 days I'll add some nutes.

I wasn't saying just the plain r/o water that should read under 10 ppm i was saying if you wanted you could use 50 % r/o water and 50 % tap water and that would probably give a starting point of around 120 ppm.

As for the cal mag that's right its gonna raise your ppm usually around 200 ppm when added keep doing what you are doing and i would not add any nutes till the plants show good solid new growth. I would wait like a week before adding anything other than the cal mag. I would also get you some clearing solution for the salt build up as you are gonna have it with the buckets depending on what nutes you are gonna use.

When you do add nutes i would start your bases at around 200 to 250 and then add supplements and magical. You should top out at around 500 to 550 ppm I will keep watching the posts and try and help you out as much as i can.

Last edited:
G

What should I do about tip burn? just leave the burned tips alone or clip them off? What do you guys do? Also what is a good way to prevent it and keep this from happening. I know my plants are only 11 days old now and have been nute burned and the more fan leaves that pop out the less burned they are, I'd still like to eliminate this.

ubet28

skEwb said:
What should I do about tip burn? just leave the burned tips alone or clip them off? What do you guys do? Also what is a good way to prevent it and keep this from happening. I know my plants are only 11 days old now and have been nute burned and the more fan leaves that pop out the less burned they are, I'd still like to eliminate this.

Thats good you always want to watch the new growth once a leave is burnt just leave it till it dies and then take it of if you want.

ALWAYS WATCH NEW GROWTH.

G

ubet28 said:
Thats good you always want to watch the new growth once a leave is burnt just leave it till it dies and then take it of if you want.

ALWAYS WATCH NEW GROWTH.

I think I'm pretty sure I have OCD because I'm in the grow room like.... every 20mins, I can't help it :) I also have some new shots for today hehe they grew another .5" overnight!

#1+#2 spy shot :p I also put the mylar back up since the heat shield is helping a lot.

tintala

I was adding nutes already at 10 days half strength. THey are very robust now. 2 inches a day and the droop is going away. My ph sit around 5.8 in and i flush the system every week. How do you drain your farm?

turn the fill tube down to drain...or i use a extra bucket...or a siphon...the pot will sit on the top of the bucket perfect cadi corner

Latest posts

Latest posts