What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Shagee

hey great thread!
Does anyone know if HIGH temps.(lights on) in the final week or so of flowering increases potency?
Lights on-85F
Lights off-70F
for example.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Shagee said:
hey great thread!
Does anyone know if HIGH temps.(lights on) in the final week or so of flowering increases potency?
Lights on-85F
Lights off-70F
for example.

I can't say for certain it has an effect one way or another. I have never heard of any documented evidence or even anecdotal evidence to support such a belief. My guess is the answer is no. The temps you mentioned aren't particularly high but it is on the high end of what is acceptable. Heat is a form of stress and at a stage where the plant is winding down I only seeing it as drying the plant out quicker.

To my knowledge nothing increases potency as potentcy would be a measure of the THC levels which as far as I know is a genetic trait. Now there are things that increase concentration or the amount of trichomes. Increased concentration of trichomes can seem more potent because you're getting more per hit so it takes less to get you as high.

The things that affect the concentration of trichomes are based on what functions trichomes fill for the plant. One function is that it helps to seal moisture in to protect the plant from drying out in low humidity conditions which are common in the autumn evenings when temps are cooler. Another thing they do is to help insulate the plant from cooler temps, which again is normal in the autumn evenings. Another function of trichomes is based on the fact they have excellent UV absorbtion properties to help protect the flowers from UV radiation from the sun.

These three things make up the main functions of trichomes for the plant. From this people typically try to boost trichome production by lowering temps and humidity during lights out. They try to have the temps do at least a 20 degree drop from lights on (typically 80 degrees F during lights on and 60 degrees F during lights out). They also try to have the humidity at about 50% lights on and 20% to 30% during lights out. That artificially creates two of the conditions trichomes are created to protect the plant from. This is probably the most common way to try to enhance trichome production as it is fairly simple and safe to do. Some do try things like adding UV-b lights to a grow to create the UV radiation that trichomes protect from. This however is less common. Mainly because for one UV radiation exposure to humans can lead to skin cancer and it requires additional equipment and increases electric consumption and there is not enough evidence it makes any meaningful improvement.

If I was you I'd try to lower your lights out temps and humidity rather then increase lights on temps (which will also increase humidity). I don't think it will do you much good at the end of flower though as the plant is usually done with trichome production by the last week of flower. Typically I try to lower the temps and humidity during lights out from the point the plant finishes stretch (2nd to 3rd week of flower) until harvest.

If anything I would say raising temps during the last week will only cause the plant to not get any more concentration of trichomes then it has already. Again though, at this point (1 week before harvest) I don't think anything will improve the concentration of trichomes in your plants.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HempKat, you do a great service to those in need. Well done man.

Shagee, welcome to ICMag. I wish you the best of luck in your venture.
I am no expert on the matter by far, but if you are growing any sort of sativa strain, especially in the haze line, you will find that a more indirect lighting during flower will tighten up the buds. A more intense, direct, lighting tends to make the buds more airy. Not sure if this holds true to indica lines though.
But if you are growing a sativa, you might want to place the plant more to the side instead of directly over top and close. This mimics the late season sun pattern somewhat.

Last edited:

alk_loid

my plants are growing very well. lost 3plants. but others have expanded so my growsapce is used up.

today i checked leaves, and i saw first time those little mites crawling around.
to mites eat leaves or buds too?

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Someone was nice enough to gift me some pollen.

It was harvested in 2005 and only stored in a desk drawer in a little air tight bottle btw it is still yellow where as some others were a rust color and I figured no good and tossed them out.

If the pollen is not viable whats the worse that can happen ?

SaH

Last edited:
The worst that can happen S_a_H is you would have some yellow on your plants. It won't cause any ill effects to your plants. It just won't pollinate them.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
-ShutterBug- said:
The worst that can happen S_a_H is you would have some yellow on your plants. It won't cause any ill effects to your plants. It just won't pollinate them.

What I was thinking may happen is the hairs are going to die off and that would effect the buds or stop me from hitting it with pollen of something else.

S_a_H

If the pollen doesn't pollinate the hairs they won't die back. It won't effect the bud growth, and with no pollination you will be able to pollinate with more viable pollen no problem. I just used the last of my BMR pollen and it had become 95% unviable. And only got a few beans from it's pollen. But the bud growth on the pollinated area was the same as the rest of the unseeded plant. I hope that I helped to some degree S_a_H. :wave:

HempKat

Veteran
alk_loid said:
my plants are growing very well. lost 3plants. but others have expanded so my growsapce is used up.

today i checked leaves, and i saw first time those little mites crawling around.
to mites eat leaves or buds too?

Yes, depending on what kind of mites, I presume you mean spider mites. They eat the leaves and from buds but not in a major way where you're plant will disappear on you but enough to where it will damage the plant and harm yield.

HempKat

Veteran
S_a_H said:
Someone was nice enough to gift me some pollen.

It was harvested in 2005 and only stored in a desk drawer in a little air tight bottle btw it is still yellow where as some others were a rust color and I figured no good and tossed them out.

If the pollen is not viable whats the worse that can happen ?

SaH

It's not viable, unless properly refrigerated pollen only has a shelf life of a week or so, maybe a little longer, but not years.

The worse that could happen is you'll waste your time trying to pollenate with sterile pollen.

HempKat

Veteran
S_a_H said:
What I was thinking may happen is the hairs are going to die off and that would effect the buds or stop me from hitting it with pollen of something else.

S_a_H

Hairs die off naturally thru out the plants flowering cycle, either thru age (they seem to last just a couple of weeks. Or by being pollinated (once pollen contacts the hairs and triggers the bio-chemical reaction to start forming seeds the hair dies off as it is no longer needed). All hairs (pistils) are for is to catch pollen to trigger seed making they do not effect bud growth.

Logos

Hello, HK:

I have a plant that grew a few "bananas", which I plucked. This plant, along with others, was pollenated, not by itself but by a different male. After many grows, this is the only time my setup has seen a hermie, so I cannot be certain whether this hermie condition was environmental or genetic. I am wondering if the seeds produced by this hermie plant will be prone to go hermie. What's the general consencus say?

As always, your opinion is highly valued, so thanks in advance.

Logos

HempKat

Veteran
Logos said:
Hello, HK:

I have a plant that grew a few "bananas", which I plucked. This plant, along with others, was pollenated, not by itself but by a different male. After many grows, this is the only time my setup has seen a hermie, so I cannot be certain whether this hermie condition was environmental or genetic. I am wondering if the seeds produced by this hermie plant will be prone to go hermie. What's the general consencus say?

As always, your opinion is highly valued, so thanks in advance.

Logos

Well the tendency for the offspring to show the hermie trait is directly proportional to the parents tendency to hermie. You say the pollen came from a different male, if that male was a natural male then it likely didn't pass on the hermie trait. Which would then leave the female that hermied. It obviously has the hermie trait and so it will pass it along. This trait will show up in the offspring when/if the offspring reach the same level of stress that triggered the mother.

alk_loid

havent been online long time, been working out in gym etc.

anyways plants seem to grow verywell. i have some pictures put i cant them asap.

i remember i read that most of the mass of buds will come last 2-3 weeks of flowering is that true?

HempKat

Veteran
alk_loid said:
havent been online long time, been working out in gym etc.

anyways plants seem to grow verywell. i have some pictures put i cant them asap.

i remember i read that most of the mass of buds will come last 2-3 weeks of flowering is that true?

That's what they say although I couldn't give you any exact percentages. The buds will definately get bigger during that time but it's not going to be dramatic.

HempKat

Veteran
alk_loid said:
cool thankyou.
what about leaves yellowing. i have about 4weeks to go.

Some of the older bigger leaves might change color, it's fairly normal although it shouldn't be too bad if you got 4 weeks to go yet.

Latest posts

Latest posts