What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Granger2

Veteran
Lol. I was only guessing. I think there needs to be a pee_er reviewed study, with plenty of pee_ers involved. -granger

ColdSmoke

I have a question:

I started (germinated) really late due to legislation in Oregon. It only became legal a few weeks ago and I didn't want to have seedlings in the garage when it was still prohibited. Next season I will be able to do a full outdoor grow. So right now I have seedlings that are just starting their third set of true leaves. There's not enough time to flower them outdoors because it will be late October/early November by then. Should I grow them outside with the glorious August and September sun and then move them back inside to finish or should I just keep them inside?

If I do take them outside for a couple of months, how big do they need to be before I harden them off?

ColdSmoke

Bugs are a big issue...you'll bring them inside after being outside a few months.

I know bugs are more difficult to control indoors with the lacking of natural predators. So, even if bugs are in control outside, that won't necessarily be the case indoors? Is this the general concept? No way to do a treatment regimen before they come inside?

Not sure what the risk reward is here because this is my first time doing an indoor grow. I'll be using a 400w MH (veg) and 400w HPS (flower) for hopefully 4 plants. Maybe they wouldn't benefit much from being outside .... I'll have to experiment

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heat from indoor lights will definitely encourage anything semi-dormant in your soil.

Did just what you mentioned thrice (years ago), as if the first and second time wasn't enough. Bugs like the indoor environment. Seemed like plants more susceptible to disease. Outdoors to greenhouse, I didn't find it as bad.

Sure you can douse your soil with pesticides, but I wouldn't want to try any, even if residual treatment and flushing. That's what you'll have to ponder.

Try it....maybe you'll have a better experience.

If it were me, I'd do indoor with clean environment, clean soil and containers.

Or...Door #3 Run autos outdoors....you can successfully have a decent harvest by early November if you start soon.

ColdSmoke

Weather charts are showing warm weather all the way into mid November...I wonder if I shouldn't just try an outdoor grow..hmmm. All I have is regular seeds. What I really need is some clones.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I have a question:

I started (germinated) really late due to legislation in Oregon. It only became legal a few weeks ago and I didn't want to have seedlings in the garage when it was still prohibited. Next season I will be able to do a full outdoor grow. So right now I have seedlings that are just starting their third set of true leaves. There's not enough time to flower them outdoors because it will be late October/early November by then. Should I grow them outside with the glorious August and September sun and then move them back inside to finish or should I just keep them inside?

If I do take them outside for a couple of months, how big do they need to be before I harden them off?

I wouldn't bother taking them outside at this point, maybe if it was almost July instead of almost August. If you go with indoor just do it all indoor if you can. For me indoors would still be difficult because it's hard to keep a growroom cool when the temps outside are in the 90's. So you may want to consider vegging under fluoro's for 2 months and then flower them in September or October when the temps are cooler. If heat and/or ventilation isn't an issue you can flower them whenever but for indoors I'd wait until they were about 18 - 24" tall before I flower them under a 1000W HPS HID. That of course is your talking 10 or less plants. If you mean more then figure 10 plants per 1000W If you are talking a 4 or more HID grow then I'd look for a commercial grower to talk to. I'm just a small personal grow type guy and as such the advice I might give could be all wrong for a commercial grow.

As for hardening them off I've never heard of any time limit but I'd still want to wait until it develops a good solid root system. Usually by the time they're 12" or so they're established enough (unless of course they're stretched like crazy). In this case I'd advise against putting them outdoors because the days are already shortening and so it won't be long before flowering is triggered.

HempKat

Veteran
I know bugs are more difficult to control indoors with the lacking of natural predators. So, even if bugs are in control outside, that won't necessarily be the case indoors? Is this the general concept? No way to do a treatment regimen before they come inside?

Not sure what the risk reward is here because this is my first time doing an indoor grow. I'll be using a 400w MH (veg) and 400w HPS (flower) for hopefully 4 plants. Maybe they wouldn't benefit much from being outside .... I'll have to experiment

That sounds like you should be able to have a decent grow. As long as it's a HID I generally count 100W per plant so 4 plants under 400W sounds just right.

As for pests, lack of predators, near perfect environmental conditions are the main factors in my opinion. There are treatments one can do but bugs have over the years gotten more resistant to the milder, safer, more natural pesticides and so one is forced to use more toxic, more expensive treatments that might result in your harvest being less safe. Fortunately proper ventilation and environment control can keep things more manageable.

HempKat

Veteran
Weather charts are showing warm weather all the way into mid November...I wonder if I shouldn't just try an outdoor grow..hmmm. All I have is regular seeds. What I really need is some clones.

All warm into November means is that they will avoid frost before harvest. The main issue you would have is that they would be much shorter then a properly grown outdoor plant (Since it didn't get a full veg). The problem is that the days are already shortening for more then a month, so you won't get much if any veg time.

cloneX

AK-47 seed

AK-47 seed

Hi i got some ak-47 from serious seeds, i have a male & a female if i make seeds from from these will they still be AK-47 and if i make seeds again will they still continue to be good quality ak-47 plants? Not to be too technical but would like to have my own seeds and ak is a good strain to start with, thx for any info

I was also wondering how long it takes to dry pollen for freezing? Do i just leve the pollen on paper overnight then pack away? I read that u can make small packets of pollen, so i just made some small wraps with pollen in them & have them in a film canster havent put them in frezzer yet.

Attachments

• tmp_3947-20150724_2059211913349858.jpg
    tmp_3947-20150724_2059211913349858.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 27
  • tmp_3947-20150721_2012561176875297.jpg
    tmp_3947-20150721_2012561176875297.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Hello, Any aul farts got an answer about drying the pollen will the pollen last in the canister without freezing

I haven't messed with pollen in a while but it is my understanding that is it's not gathered quickly and properly stored and refrigerated then it has an average shelf life of just a few days. I could be wrong though. I've never worked with pollen much and usually used it right away when I did use it a few time

I would think the breeder's forum might be a better place to get more certain information on this particular topic.

HempKat

Veteran
Hi i got some ak-47 from serious seeds, i have a male & a female if i make seeds from from these will they still be AK-47 and if i make seeds again will they still continue to be good quality ak-47 plants? Not to be too technical but would like to have my own seeds and ak is a good strain to start with, thx for any info

I was also wondering how long it takes to dry pollen for freezing? Do i just leve the pollen on paper overnight then pack away? I read that u can make small packets of pollen, so i just made some small wraps with pollen in them & have them in a film canster havent put them in frezzer yet.

The quality of the plants would depend entirely on which plants you pick when making seeds. Generally speaking you want to pick the plants that show the most desirable qualities. A lot would depend to on how well the breeding was done in producing the first seeds you used. It 's my understanding that the first batch of seeds made from parent plants grown from seed are known as F2's. F-2 seed would lead to F-3's and F3's to F4's and so on. As I also understand it F-2's typically are like a mixture of their parents but in the 3rd and 4th generation is where you are most likely find more diversity. The impression I have, is that by the time you reach F5's they should be fairly stable if you do a good job selecting for the desired qualities each generation. I'm no breeder though and I'm just going by memories of things I've read or have been told over the years. Being that I'm an old Fart now though my memory might be less then perfect. :biggrin: So again breeders would be better to talk to about this subject as well.

Granger2

Veteran
The first offspring of the original parents are F-1s. Then F-2s an so forth. If you're doing rigorous sampling and selection, which takes a long time, they should get more consistent with each generation. It's all complicated. That's why I gave up on all except the rare case. Takes a lot of space too. Something I don't have in spare. Good luck. -granger

HempKat

Veteran
The first offspring of the original parents are F-1s. Then F-2s an so forth. If you're doing rigorous sampling and selection, which takes a long time, they should get more consistent with each generation. It's all complicated. That's why I gave up on all except the rare case. Takes a lot of space too. Something I don't have in spare. Good luck. -granger

Yeah people that do develop strains grow hundreds, even a 1000 plants to try and have the best chance at finding the right genetic mixture.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah people that do develop strains grow hundreds, even a 1000 plants to try and have the best chance at finding the right genetic mixture.

Not necessarily....finding a few good phenos from say 20-25 plant...there's always bx-ing that helps the vigor. Of course you need pollen.

HempKat

Veteran
Not necessarily....finding a few good phenos from say 20-25 plant...there's always bx-ing that helps the vigor. Of course you need pollen.

Well I'm no breeder but I have heard breeders talk about growing out hundreds of plants to find the right keepers.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I cloned all my plants ,,female's of course,the question I have is today I found my first hermie,it was a small clone,,its the only one that did,it's been out doors,doing fine, if i transplant that clone and pollinate some plants,,with it will all the seeds be hermie..all my other plants are all female's,,all flowering,.or should I just kill it,and avoid a catstraphy,, HAPPY GROWING..

The seeds from that plant pollinating it's self may have, um, "tendencies".

But that pollen on healthy females will give you feminized seed and should grow out solid females.
Go for it!:woohoo:

Aloha,
Weeze

HempKat

Veteran
I cloned all my plants ,,female's of course,the question I have is today I found my first hermie,it was a small clone,,its the only one that did,it's been out doors,doing fine, if i transplant that clone and pollinate some plants,,with it will all the seeds be hermie..all my other plants are all female's,,all flowering,.or should I just kill it,and avoid a catstraphy,, HAPPY GROWING..

Like Weezard said, any seeds resulting from that hermie pollen would carry the tendency to hermie and like he also said the resulting seed would be feminized. The thing about the hermie response is that it has to be triggered. So having that genetic tendency does not mean the plants grown from that seed will definitely hermie. Typically a plant with the hermie tendency would need to be stressed to the same point as the plant that produced that seed. If the plants are kept in a stress free environment then it should not hermie, in theory at least.

If the plant was something really, really special and without it there would be no way to cross it with something in the hopes of creating a new strain with all the special qualities of the parents then I would keep it. Otherwise I'd probably not pollinate anything with it nor clone it. If I did decide to keep it and cross it with something else I would definitely use it only in an indoor grow so as to have better control of how stress free things are.