What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

waveguide

Veteran
ty, i've spent a bit of time thinking about how more aptly/succinctly i could have worded that.. (as i enjoy such considerations.. and, kinda implemented sprawl there) and fwiw :D i find your answer very qualified and agreeable. appreciation of context "is nice that it happens" :p and despite the absolute pertinence of causality in experience, it is of course unwieldy (or downright untruthful) to isolate.

i will say, growing definately changed my experience of the plant, wouldn't have minded that happening sooner.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
i will say, growing definately changed my experience of the plant, wouldn't have minded that happening sooner.

Well for me, as far as indoor growing it happened at a perfect time for me. When I was younger, if I knew all I know today and more importantly had any real kind of access to the options one has today, I would have likely tried growing in places where I'd be taking much greater risks and that probably would have done me in knowing my luck. For me online access to supplies and equipment and support came at just the right point in my life when I had the time place and location to do things fairly safely.

In my youth I'm not even sure that metal halide or high pressure sodium lights were around. If they were I had no clue about it. I did play with fluoros for a while but ended up mostly using them to start plants for outside.

Breez

New to ic

New to ic

Hey Hempkat,

Firstly I would just like to say I'm glad you're still around...been reading this thread with interest in the past few days, and you certainly know your stuff!

I started growing last year, and for an absolute beginner that made every mistake in the book, I still somehow ended up with a decent yield, which probably led to a little bit of over confidence for my next efforts, which failed miserably.

Anyway, this time around I have gone back to basics, soil and perlite, organic nutes, 10 Big Buddha cheesey dicks under 1800 watts (upon flower, currently 2 weeks from seed under a cool tube dimmed to 400.

I have a good size room for them, and so I was contemplating going vertical...either by making a diy veritube with all 3 tubes in the centre, or maybe hanging separately...would you say either would be better?, or indeed is vertical growing likely to yield much extra?

Any other pro's and cons I have to consider would be much appreciated mate...keep up the great work!

Eepok101

Good stuff people! Once again I managed to do something idiotic..

Okay so, this morning I was taking a look at my garden as normal and I managed to drop a thick folded sheet of toilet paper in to the water tank! :

Yesyes... one of these http://media.tori.net/image/medium/28/2825858422.jpg

It's not coming out believe me i tried to the point it's nowhere to be seen :D My question is who should one proceed in a mind-numbing situation like this one? Replant? Let it be? Will mold be an issue if I just decide to leave it there? This plant is still rather small @ 2 weeks

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Not a problem for the plants.
They'll grow in just about any wet medium.
Just name her Charmin and proceed as usual. :)
If it will impact the pump, etc., just change out the water.

Aloha,
Weezard

HempKat

Veteran
Hey Hempkat,

Firstly I would just like to say I'm glad you're still around...been reading this thread with interest in the past few days, and you certainly know your stuff!

I started growing last year, and for an absolute beginner that made every mistake in the book, I still somehow ended up with a decent yield, which probably led to a little bit of over confidence for my next efforts, which failed miserably.

Anyway, this time around I have gone back to basics, soil and perlite, organic nutes, 10 Big Buddha cheesey dicks under 1800 watts (upon flower, currently 2 weeks from seed under a cool tube dimmed to 400.

I have a good size room for them, and so I was contemplating going vertical...either by making a diy veritube with all 3 tubes in the centre, or maybe hanging separately...would you say either would be better?, or indeed is vertical growing likely to yield much extra?

Any other pro's and cons I have to consider would be much appreciated mate...keep up the great work!

Vertical if done well will definitely increase yield because more of each plant will be receiving light as strong or closer to as strong as the buds on the top receive with lights hanging over head. Alas I've never played around with vertical because I've never felt a great need to increase my production. What I yield from a good crop just grown the traditional way with lights overhead is usually more then enough to hold me over until the next crop comes in. Unfortunately this means I don't have much more information to give you beyond the assurance that you should receive greater yields with a light hung vertically.

Hopefully someone with some actual vertical experience will chime in?

HempKat

Veteran
Good stuff people! Once again I managed to do something idiotic..

Okay so, this morning I was taking a look at my garden as normal and I managed to drop a thick folded sheet of toilet paper in to the water tank! :

Yesyes... one of these http://media.tori.net/image/medium/28/2825858422.jpg

It's not coming out believe me i tried to the point it's nowhere to be seen :D My question is who should one proceed in a mind-numbing situation like this one? Replant? Let it be? Will mold be an issue if I just decide to leave it there? This plant is still rather small @ 2 weeks

Having never done any form of hydro I have nothing to add to what Weezard has said, but he's a very knowledgeable grower so I'd trust his advice.

Eepok101

Ayet thank you both for your aid! Just to be certain, I just might water from the top to minimize the moisture level in the tank.

BruceBanner

Is this a male? :)

mkzvjo.jpg

2uh1zxh.jpg

BruceBanner

Thank you, no problem, more space for other plants! :D

Northern Light Blue auto, Think Different, and some bag seed big leaf me thinky female :)
169i78h.jpg

HempKat

Veteran
Thank you, no problem, more space for other plants! :D

Northern Light Blue auto, Think Different, and some bag seed big leaf me thinky female :)
View Image

I think that is a common misconception people have, that the size of the leaf indicates sex. Big fat/wide leaves represent whether it's more Cannabis Indica vs Cannabis Sativa which has the long thinner leaves. Also the number of fingers don't indicate sex, just maturity. Ideally on individual leaves you want there to be at least 7 preferably 9 fingers. That indicates maturity. Leaves generally start as three fingers, sometimes one finger and go up in multiples of two as the plant grows up in veg. One becomes 3, 3 becomes 5, 5 becomes 7, etc.

BruceBanner

I think that is a common misconception people have, that the size of the leaf indicates sex. Big fat/wide leaves represent whether it's more Cannabis Indica vs Cannabis Sativa which has the long thinner leaves. Also the number of fingers don't indicate sex, just maturity. Ideally on individual leaves you want there to be at least 7 preferably 9 fingers. That indicates maturity. Leaves generally start as three fingers, sometimes one finger and go up in multiples of two as the plant grows up in veg. One becomes 3, 3 becomes 5, 5 becomes 7, etc.

Hey you old fart, I'm not such kind of a noob! :D I think I saw some female pistils preflower :)

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Hey you old fart, I'm not such kind of a noob! :D I think I saw some female pistils preflower :)

Well how am I supposed to know? It's not like you gave me a resume. For all I know you're like, "Hulk Grow, Grow not looking good, Hulk smash." :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I keep holding my piss in for kicks when drinking, will it lead to incontinence later in life?

HempKat

Veteran
If I keep holding my piss in for kicks when drinking, will it lead to incontinence later in life?

Damn it Jim, I'm a Cannabis Farmer...Not a Doctor! :biggrin:

On the serious side, I've heard it said by a doctor that it is possible for the bladder to fill too much and the resulting pressure can actually prevent the person from urinating, After that either it gets treated surgically or if it's neglected long enough the bladder will rupture internally and most likely put in a coma or kill the person from septic shock. So it's not really a good way to get your kicks. Perhaps take up some form of game like pool or darts?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What I mean is at the point where I've drank enough I question my ability to walk and aim, at least for that particular moment. Kicks. Why did trough urinals go out of style? Put a bar right above and boom, fool proof.

I'll definitely think about what you've said. Weigh the pros and cons. Consider all the angles.

HempKat

Veteran
Sign above a urinal in a bar I once visited read,

Here in this establishment we aim to please!

So you aim too...please! :biggrin:

Granger2

Veteran
What I mean is at the point where I've drank enough I question my ability to walk and aim, at least for that particular moment. Kicks. Why did trough urinals go out of style? Put a bar right above and boom, fool proof.

I'll definitely think about what you've said. Weigh the pros and cons. Consider all the angles.
Angles? If you direct your stream at a 45 degree angle into a trough urinal, you'll splatter at least one of the nearby patrons. Good times...

HempKat

Veteran
Angles? If you direct your stream at a 45 degree angle into a trough urinal, you'll splatter at least one of the nearby patrons. Good times...

Wouldn't it suck to be the guy that had to do the research to determine that data?