What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

My personal opinion on scrogs is don't waste your time. Just think about it 6 harvests in one year or two who's going to end up with more herb that should be a no brainer. If you grow normal your going to harvest about every 60 days with a scrog your going to harvest every 4-6 months. .

High guys been awhile... I do agree w/you Billy but Ive had some excellent yields outdoors using a (kinda) scrog growing style. which yields me almost 2-3 times what Id get from just letting them grow or topping a few times. No pics to share so guess youd have to take my word. But like I said I do agree w/billys statement about sog out yieldn scrog indoors in the long run. But quite a bit more work w/growing many more plants in sog setup. Great thread guys. I especially like bringing the always debatable feminized genetics topic to the table,but unfortunately seems to get alittle ugly everytime. Dr P still cant get over those GDP pics where did you get the genetics from?

MrJee

hi i have a question, i am wondering if its bad or stressful for the plants if you bloom 1-5 weeks of MH, and then switch to HPS?
Have 2 rooms, and need to start the 12-12 a little earlier, will this be ok to do?

MagicChef

HempKat- Ever heard of an inline scrubber? Im looking fo build a DIY scrubber but dont have the room to put it in the flower room. Instead I'd like to put it in the veg room (inline with the cool tube and vortex, only difference being Id be drawing dirty air through the cooltube in the flower room, through the wall into the veg room , through the scrubber inline with the ducting, through fan and out. Is this feasible?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
MC, I didn't understand your layout earlier. Maybe this will spur an idea. I've got a tube in flower going through the wall into the veg side. (I've got a utility chamber but it's still the veg side.)

Instead of hooking the scrubber directly to the tube, I mounted the conventional scrubber to the exhaust fan. The fan/scrubber combo is mounted to the the cab wall. Unfiltered hot air passes through the tube and into the utility (veg) area. The whole utility chamber fills with hot stinky air but has to pass through the scrubber before the exhaust fan can suck it out. Works too! Here's a close-in to see how the scrubber and tube aren't physically connected. You can also see how the blower fan is mounted to the back wall of the cab.

picture.php

Here's a wide-angle showing the utility chamber is on the veg side of the cab. Even if you don't have a divided veg/utility it should work the same.

picture.php

MagicChef

DB, I have the same NGB style cab(with the utility room above veg, next to flower). This might just work for me! Do you cool your Veg separately, or do you use passive intake on your veg ceiling and draw veg air through utility as well? If not Id be concerned that unfiltered flower air might leak down and out the veg room exhaust. Although as long as I kept negative pressure on main exhaust Id have no worries. Thanks again...

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Veg and flower are exhausted with one fan in utility. Veg has passive intakes in the floor and ceiling. Flower has passive intakes in the floor and a hole to mount the cool tube.

Here's what I've got. My exhaust blower is 4". Passive intake is typically 2x. So the utility chamber has two 4" holes for intake, (one in the floor and one in the flower wall.)

The veg and flower floors need 2x again, respectively. If your cab isn't raised above the floor it sits on, you may have to locate lower intakes on the lower walls. If you go with the floor, I've got a cool light trap idea. You'll also need a light trap between veg and utility or veg light will pass through to flower via the clear tube. I've got a recommendation there too. I've also got an inexpensive way to filter intakes to keep dust down. Let me know if you're interested.

Upper left - utility with exhaust fan and scrubber
Lower left - veg
Right - flower with cool tube flowing through utility wall

picture.php

**Should read AIR FLOW FROM UNDERNEATH CAB FLOOR

MC, those intake sizes can be tweaked if your flower side is hotter than veg. I'm no Einstein so I just estimated. Based on intake size, my flower side gets approximately 65% of the airflow, veg 35. Veg is smaller than flower (plus, air passes through two baffles on the left so my my actual throughput is an estimate at best.) Your actual intake sizes may vary.

Last edited:

MagicChef

Your drawing replicates my cab exactly. I went with 4" false bottom so this will work. Iv'e already used your light trap method ( standoff cut slightly smaller than footprint) and this works great. As stealth is of greater importance this time 'round, a scrubber is so worth it.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Happly plants.:D Glad it helps out, took me damn long enough to catch on to tour plan.:) Check out my gutter trash filter album. It's made from gutter guards and plywood. Only the best for my projects, j/k.

FlaDankster

Veteran
hi i have a question, i am wondering if its bad or stressful for the plants if you bloom 1-5 weeks of MH, and then switch to HPS?
Have 2 rooms, and need to start the 12-12 a little earlier, will this be ok to do?

You will be fine with your halide for flower.Some prefer halide for all of flower.You should get less stretch at onset of flower with a halide from what i hear.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
High guys been awhile... I do agree w/you Billy but Ive had some excellent yields outdoors using a (kinda) scrog growing style. which yields me almost 2-3 times what Id get from just letting them grow or topping a few times. No pics to share so guess youd have to take my word. But like I said I do agree w/billys statement about sog out yieldn scrog indoors in the long run. But quite a bit more work w/growing many more plants in sog setup. Great thread guys. I especially like bringing the always debatable feminized genetics topic to the table,but unfortunately seems to get alittle ugly everytime. Dr P still cant get over those GDP pics where did you get the genetics from?

Amazing. Not a peep out of you for weeks but as soon as Billy shows up you show up, and talking about all that old stuff we covered weeks ago. Even that debate about feminized seed.

HempKat

Veteran

Yeah that'll be fine to do. Some people even prefer to do something like that to minimize stretch. On the downside though your yield will be a little bit less. Not a tremendous amout less but enough worth mentioning.

I would say don't go as long as 5 weeks unless it's a very sativa like strain taking 90+ days to flower. Otherwise just give it 3 weeks (the length of the stretch period) and then switch to HPS. Doing it that way will keep the impact to your yield from being too great.

HempKat

Veteran
HempKat- Ever heard of an inline scrubber? Im looking fo build a DIY scrubber but dont have the room to put it in the flower room. Instead I'd like to put it in the veg room (inline with the cool tube and vortex, only difference being Id be drawing dirty air through the cooltube in the flower room, through the wall into the veg room , through the scrubber inline with the ducting, through fan and out. Is this feasible?

Nope, sorry, the only DIY scrubbers I've seen either go on one end or the other but not inline. Looks like DiscoBiscuit has got you covered though.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I especially like bringing the always debatable feminized genetics topic to the table,but unfortunately seems to get alittle ugly everytime. Dr P still cant get over those GDP pics where did you get the genetics from?

I had this plant delivered to me from a 60 yr old grower in Honeydew, Humboldt. It has a very distinct strong lemon grape flavor, and super narcotic high. It will ruin a saturday if You smoke it for breakfast. Here it is hang drying.
picture.php

As for the fem seeds. I do grow them from time to time as some varieties are only available that way. I have made My own fem seeds as well. That said, I do notice that the fems sometimes seem to be weaker, and slower growing. I am still watching this and havnt fully formed an opinion. :tiphat:

efeldmaz

HI Old mAtes! i am doing a drip to waste I have figured out now that it's not the timer. There are 25 plants to one 64 gal rez with 2 stakes in each plant. The weird part for me is that after the drip system floods there seems too be to much waste coming out even though I down sized a pump and it's only flooding for a minute. the waste will be dripping out slowly for about 5 minutes even though some plants don't even feel like they were that watered although not dry. My other question would be if the leafs are curling down and the ridges are fringing in could this be a sign off not enough water??? Also is there any way my tables being raised on one end by 2 inches so the water will drain out too much and maybe affecting the pressure of the system?

Thanks For YOU HELP

HempKat

Veteran
HI Old mAtes! i am doing a drip to waste I have figured out now that it's not the timer. There are 25 plants to one 64 gal rez with 2 stakes in each plant. The weird part for me is that after the drip system floods there seems too be to much waste coming out even though I down sized a pump and it's only flooding for a minute. the waste will be dripping out slowly for about 5 minutes even though some plants don't even feel like they were that watered although not dry. My other question would be if the leafs are curling down and the ridges are fringing in could this be a sign off not enough water??? Also is there any way my tables being raised on one end by 2 inches so the water will drain out too much and maybe affecting the pressure of the system?

Thanks For YOU HELP

It's hard to say for sure without pics but the description you gave sounds more like overwatering then it does like not enough water. As for the weight of the plants after a watering, and how they drain, sounds like what I would expect if the plants were in coco or some other soilless mixture.

catcherintheye

Hey hempkat Theres a defoliation thread and its longgg as hell and Im sure my question is :deadhorse so maybe you can help. Im doing a scrog and Am going to defoliate for yield and airflow purposes. I truly believe it increases yield and it will help with airflow in my cheap setup closet.

My question is when should I begin defoliating the petioles? should I allow them to grow full sized before pulling them? or should I just let the node grow out a bit before cutting off the petiole? My plant is about 3 weeks old so I dont wana stress her she is a nubile just coming out of the seedling phase about ten inches tall and she has just grown passed the screen. leaves are the size of my palm open, big 9 finger broadleafs just shading the budsites. Thanks youre some sort of demigod for keeping up with this thread. keep on brother thanks.

HempKat

Veteran
What should I do to prepare for the future? Not tech BS; down home, old fashioned, learned the hard way stuff. I have read alot but am only 37 so have never truly lived in need.

Well it depends on what future you want to prepare for. Alas since nobody can accurately predict the future it's hard to know what to do. I say if you want to be prepared for any possibility the best thing you can do is whatever you can do to be self sufficient. Grow your own food, make your own clothes, use natural renewable forms of energy etc. That way if the future is bad you don't have to depend on anyone but yourself. If it's good then you can always sell what you produce.

Latest posts

Latest posts