What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
And another question;

If plants have been seriously under-watered, leaving a rock-hard, bone-dry, shrivelled root mass; what's the best way to revive them?

I went away for a few days and they got very thirsty!

When I have a plant that's bone dry it's usually pretty far gone but if it felt like it had life left in it I'd set it in a bowl of water such that it could suck the water up into the plant thru the drainage holes. If you try to water plants that dry, typically the water just goes right thru the plant with more conventional watering styles. I would generally leave the plant soaking for a good 30 minutes before I drained it.

prizmizgay

:dance013:well im glad u guys r here....im a nooooooooo-b......and ive got some 4 sure killer G.D.P. clones in my closet with a 600 watt hps on 12/12... i took 37 more clones myself for the first time wich took 2 weeks to root ...im just looking for a good teacher to give advice thats all!!!! ive been in the marketing side of this game for years and i saw my first crop-drop this year ... my buddy knows his shit but i need 2 know more .... any help will do tanx...
p.s. i still dont know how to change my picture ...lol...:dunno:

HempKat

Veteran
:dance013:well im glad u guys r here....im a nooooooooo-b......and ive got some 4 sure killer G.D.P. clones in my closet with a 600 watt hps on 12/12... i took 37 more clones myself for the first time wich took 2 weeks to root ...im just looking for a good teacher to give advice thats all!!!! ive been in the marketing side of this game for years and i saw my first crop-drop this year ... my buddy knows his shit but i need 2 know more .... any help will do tanx...
p.s. i still dont know how to change my picture ...lol...:dunno:

I assume by "change my picture" you mean how to put up a custom picture for your avatar?

If so then up towards the top of the page you'll notice options, one of them on the far left says "My IC" when you click that you'll go to a page. On the left side of that page you'll see a column labelled User Control panel. Within that you'll see "settings and options". Under that you'll see an option that says "edit avatar". Click that and the page you go to will give you three options. One is to not use an avatar, 2 is to select one from a list of pre-made avatars and 3 to upload a custom avatar from you're computer or another site. Keep in mind that if you go with the custom avatar it can be no bigger then 100 x 100 pixels or 14.6kb.

S

Slow Stone

Hello farts, much respect.
The problem bothering me is:
Soil feeding OR Foliar feeding? I have some bottled stuff wich can be used both ways (thats whats annoying my stoned mind). So i would be grateful for any insight on how to arrange things.
Bottled stuff: EWC extract, ginseng & sea-buckthorn myco fungi extract (both are localy made, basicaly unknown stuff cuz i'm from periphery...) and Seasol.
Soil mix: re-used (with perlite) & some noname soil mix 3/8, cattle manure & peat compost 3/8, EWC 2/8.

(somehow i feel that i'm lacking flower-power-fuel)

HempKat

Veteran
Hello farts, much respect.
The problem bothering me is:
Soil feeding OR Foliar feeding? I have some bottled stuff wich can be used both ways (thats whats annoying my stoned mind). So i would be grateful for any insight on how to arrange things.
Bottled stuff: EWC extract, ginseng & sea-buckthorn myco fungi extract (both are localy made, basicaly unknown stuff cuz i'm from periphery...) and Seasol.
Soil mix: re-used (with perlite) & some noname soil mix 3/8, cattle manure & peat compost 3/8, EWC 2/8.

(somehow i feel that i'm lacking flower-power-fuel)

Well I'm not familiar with the product you describe and I've never heard of a fertalizer using ginseng before and the only seasol I've heard of was salt extracted from sea water. So you may be right as far as the thought your plant's diet is missing something. It may also have some things in it that it doesn't need, like the ginseng.

The soil mix might be okay but I usually reccommend that people not reuse soil. Also I'm not sure but I'm quessing that EWC means Earth Worm Castings. I notice it's in the soil and in your bottled stuff so be careful that you don't overdo it.

As for the question of foliar feeding vs soil feeding, personally I say soil feeding is better. Plants are designed to get nutrients thru it's roots not thru it's leaves. It has the ability to absorb some nutrients thru the leaves but it can't handle all nutrients thru that path nor was it ever meant to. When I foliar feed I just use plain water these days, rainwater when I can collect it. I also try to avoid foliar feeding once I've gone to 12/12 to avoid any risk of bud rot forming.

S

Slow Stone

Thanks HempKat.
Foliar feeding during 12/12 is not very bright idea, i know it myself... Ok i wil be oldschool rocker and will pour things instead of spraying them.
Seasol i have is liquid seaweed produced in australia.

The thing is i dont want to go out to the net to get organic stuff, but the local market is verry poor, and DIY organics for a small personal indoor grow is too musch of a task (for a slow stone like me). Or maybe i should just go online and buy a couple biobizz (or whatever) bottles and layback? But penny-saving enviromentalist says no no.

I have loads of woodash, is it possible to brew some useful stuff out of it?

HempKat

Veteran
Thanks HempKat.
Foliar feeding during 12/12 is not very bright idea, i know it myself... Ok i wil be oldschool rocker and will pour things instead of spraying them.
Seasol i have is liquid seaweed produced in australia.

The thing is i dont want to go out to the net to get organic stuff, but the local market is verry poor, and DIY organics for a small personal indoor grow is too musch of a task (for a slow stone like me). Or maybe i should just go online and buy a couple biobizz (or whatever) bottles and layback? But penny-saving enviromentalist says no no.

I have loads of woodash, is it possible to brew some useful stuff out of it?

All I know is wood ash can be used as a natural ph down I believe but you have to be careful because a little goes a long ways. if you really wanted to be a hardcore penny pinching environmentalist you could always look into working with more raw organics such as blood meal, bone meal, worm castings, bat and gull guano, seaweed and kelp (sounds like the Seasol's got you covered there). If you decide to cave in and order online there are a number of good organic choices at relatively reasonable prices. One of the more popular ones is Botanicare's PureBlend Pro Bloom and they also have a Grow formula.

While I appreciate the purist aspect of people wanting to go organic, personally I say why make things harder then they need to be? Which means if your situation makes it difficult to do the raw organic thing but you can easily get ahold of good chemical nutrients or processed liquid organics, then by all means go with what you can get. If you do a proper flush just before harvest there's little difference the average person would notice between chemical vs raw organics vs processed organics. Once the plant has consumed it a nutrient is a nutrient is a nutrient the plant doesn't distinguish what source it came from.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I did a grow in 85 before all our weed ferts were available. I poured chicken manure into a bucket added water and let it sit outside. I used the tea to fertilize with and it worked great. Thats all I used, and My smoke was better than anyone I knew at the time

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
All I know is wood ash can be used as a natural ph down I believe but you have to be careful because a little goes a long ways.

Hardwood ash will actually raise pH. It also has K, P, Mg Ca and Sulfer. It's a great soil additive but Hemp's right, hard to know how much to use until tried and tested. Hardwood ash is available retail, you could check application instructions on the bag.

HempKat

Veteran
Hardwood ash will actually raise pH. It also has K, P, Mg Ca and Sulfer. It's a great soil additive but Hemp's right, hard to know how much to use until tried and tested. Hardwood ash is available retail, you could check application instructions on the bag.

Thanks for the correction and the additional info. :good:

mosstrooper

Light and space

Light and space

Hey Old farts, great thread. I was reading my way through it, but now i just have to ask a question.

My grow room is 1.2m x 1.2m
Im growing in 12 litre pots with plain old garden compost.
My water supply is soft, i dont have a ph pen, but i can measure the EC which is 0.1 (ms/cm2).
I use a 600w hps lamp.
My grow space is forced to be in a corner, so i dont have access to two sides of my space, which precludes scrog sadly.

Im trying to do a mini version of what greenhouse seeds do with their plants in there youtube vids.

They have quite sizable plants thick bushy and relatively tall.

I was hoping you could help me optimise this space in terms of depth of penetration of light.

How deep can a 600w hps effectively penetrate?

What would be a good minimum height from plants in a 1.2mx1.2m space?

And what size of plant would be ideal (broadly speaking) if grown in say 10 litres of compost?

How many plants would be ideal for a 1.2m square space in 10litres of compost each with a 600w light.

At present i have 9 3x3.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
HempKat can answer Your question, I just wanted to jump in with a pic, as Im dealing with the light penetration issue Myself. I pulled the ladies out of the tent to remove excess shade leaves and all lower branches that dont look like they will be ready in 4-6 weeks
Snapped this pic tonight

picture.php

mosstrooper

I thought id join you and upload a pic or two
This is my space.
Of note is the 2 inch layer of sand on top of my soil to supress a bad fungus gnat infestation.
Watering strictly from the bottom up at present.

Plants are still vegging, the cuttings i took were from plants that were in flower and have taken a long time to revert to normal growth, the biggest are about 14 inchs tall.

HempKat

Veteran
Hey Old farts, great thread. I was reading my way through it, but now i just have to ask a question.

My grow room is 1.2m x 1.2m
Im growing in 12 litre pots with plain old garden compost.
My water supply is soft, i dont have a ph pen, but i can measure the EC which is 0.1 (ms/cm2).
I use a 600w hps lamp.
My grow space is forced to be in a corner, so i dont have access to two sides of my space, which precludes scrog sadly.

Im trying to do a mini version of what greenhouse seeds do with their plants in there youtube vids.

They have quite sizable plants thick bushy and relatively tall.

What's ideal depends on the style of grow. For growing the wqay you're describing

I was hoping you could help me optimise this space in terms of depth of penetration of light.

How deep can a 600w hps effectively penetrate?

What would be a good minimum height from plants in a 1.2mx1.2m space?

And what size of plant would be ideal (broadly speaking) if grown in say 10 litres of compost?

How many plants would be ideal for a 1.2m square space in 10litres of compost each with a 600w light.

At present i have 9 3x3.

I would say no more then 6. I say that because many shoot for 50W per square foot and a typical indoor plant in the size pot you're talking about usually takes up about 2 square feet 2 x 50W = 100W x 6 = 600W

As for penetration I think 600W lights are good for about 3 feet of penetration but if you hang your light vertically you can double the vetical space it can cover (3 feet down and 3 feet up)

Been awhile since I posted on here just got moved into a new house. Be a few more weeks before I got a flower room but I done it right moved with plants just about ready to flower as it was if you don't you end up screwing yourself and no one else.
Been busy with all that and just took my last final on Wednesday. So ya got to tackle my Honey-Do list! :)

HempKat

Veteran
Been awhile since I posted on here just got moved into a new house. Be a few more weeks before I got a flower room but I done it right moved with plants just about ready to flower as it was if you don't you end up screwing yourself and no one else.
Been busy with all that and just took my last final on Wednesday. So ya got to tackle my Honey-Do list! :)

Good to see you again and I'm glad to hear your move went well. :good: