What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
BennyBlanco said:
Hey I got a question......What is ment by stretching...like when someone sayz this strain didnt stretch much...When does stretching occur????? what would be a good size too flower a plant at to avoid stretching....cause I thought the longer you veg for the more yeild u will get.....I dont want stretched out fluffy budz I want rockhard spears....I hope Im not over analyzing the question Am I...idk

Well in a sense there are two kinds of stretch. One is associated with the plant's flowering cycle and the other is associated more with the type of light and where it is in relationship to the plants. The first one is pretty much unavoidable and is a natural part of the process of flowering. Once plants are triggered to flower they go thru a growth spurt known as the stretch phase, this generally takes place in the first two to three weeks of flower but it can vary from strain to strain. What I have noticed in my own experiences is that if I wait until the plant sexes itself in veg by showing pre-flowers, before I switch to flower, then it seems stretch is minimal. They say a plant will double sometimes triple in size during stretch, I myself have never had a plant double or triple during stretch. However, due to the fact that so many have experienced this one rule of thumb on when to switch to 12/12 is to do it when the plant is one third the maximum height your space can handle. So for example if you didn't want your plants to be any more then 6 feet tall you would flower it when it reached 2 feet tall. My take on it, and this is just my opinion based on observing the plants I've grown. If you flower early, before a plant has fully matured say 6 weeks of veg or less. Then yes, it will double or triple. Reason being is that an immature plant is less prepared for flower so when it get's that 12/12 signal it trys to hurry up and beef up the structure to support the coming budsites. The bud sites are key to the plants ability to survive over time so you'll notice the bud sites are a top priority for the plant and a taller plant means more budsites. Now if a plant is allowed to fully mature to the point of having definitively shown it's sex thru pre-flowers it is typically a good size, especially plants that are slow to sex (I've had them take up to 10 weeks). If a plant isn't flowered until it reaches this point I find it will usually only stretch a foot or so maybe two feet, sometimes just a few inches. I think in this case the plant sense there's a fair amount of struture there to work with so it gets started on the budsites sooner and stretch seems less or shorter. What I do find though is the end result in height seems to be the same. In other words say the 2 foot plant flowers to 6 feet tripling in size having only had four weeks of veg, maybe five. Likely if you take that same plant and under the same light, veg it out without trainning or topping until it sexes, it'll be maybe four or 5ive feet and stretch another two feet or one foot. The end result would still be a 6 foot plant. So now you're thinking "Cool that means I can cut my veg in half, harvest faster and still get a six foot plant" To which I say now hold on a second. That in fact is true of a sort the thing is, you don't end up with the same sort of 6 foot plant. The longer vegged one will have the fuller, denser, more developed buds, because it got started on the buds sooner and was therefore able to devote more energy to the buds. Of course in both cases the end result will depend on alot of factors, root developement, soil composition, diet, frequency and amount of water, general harmony in the grow room (good ventilation/circulation of air, good temps, good humidity, pest free. If all of those are optimal you get optimal growth. Any of them get out of whack and growth suffers because the plant will divert energy to deal with the stress created. How much depends on how bad and how long things are out of whack and which things they are. The worse thing you can allow to happen is the loss of alot of leaves at once, leaaves are the factories for the plant processing that light and the water and nutrients into new plant matter. Less leaves mean less energy to spend on bud growth. Now once you are well into flower, say about half way you can worry less about the main leaves and it's normal for them to begin to die off because at this point the budsites have created their own set of factories feeding directly into the bud and so it's less dependent on the plant for energy. However should the plant be in serious trouble the energy will still go to the plant for it's survival. So you still want to really keep everything smooth and healthy. Of course that should go without saying. :)

Now the other kind of stretch is due more to the improper placement and the type of light. If you have a decent HID light but keep it higher then suggested for optimum growth because the tempurature is easier to manage then that's a situation where you'll get stretch because the plant is sensing the light but at a weak strength, it can tell that if it gets a little taller it will get what it needs. Light disipates rapidly as it travels from the source, the formula to figure it is know as the inverse squared rule which basically says everytime you double the distance from the light source the light becomes only a quarter of it's sources strength. So if you go say a foot from the light, whatever thestrength is there, at 2 feet it will only be 1/4th that strength, at 4 feet it will only be 1/16th as strong. So while to us they seem bright enough that we might think the lights can be up high, they really can't the rule of thumb is for 400W you want to be at least at 12" from bulb to plants. With a 600W 18" and with a 1000W 24" most people get even closer increasing the beneficial range of light for the plant by using air cooled lights such as cool tubes for example. Also the type of light makes a difference, the growth hormones responsible for stretching are light regulated and once the plant recieves the right frenquency and strength of light this hormone is slowed down. In nature the plant uses this to push past bigger plants that are shading it. You'll hear sometimes people talk about HPS stretch. To me this refers to the fact that an HPS light in veg will usually cause more stretch then an MH light. This is because the plant's nature from how it has evolved in nature has it used to growing during the time of year that blue spectrum light is more dominent in the sky. Likewise the time of year a plant flowers red spectrum is more dominent. This has to do with how the angle of the sun in relationship to the earth changes with the seasons. This has caused plants to evolve to prefering blue spectrum light (MH or cool white for fluoros) during veg and red spectrum light during flower (HPS or warm white for fluoros). In reality though in nature they get a blend of both that varies in ratio over the seasons, realizing this, may have taken to using full spectrum lighting which is usually a blend of red and blue spectrum either in a single bulb or thru a mixture of two or more lights. Usually in flower you would have about 2/3rds red spectrum 1/3rd blue. I always felt the best set up would be 3 1000W lights each able to run either HPS or MH. Start them for Veg with all three MH. After a month make one HPS and leave the other two MH then at two months when you are about ready to switch to flower make it two HPS and one MH. Then halfway thru flower, which depends on your flowering time. Switch it to all HPS. This would roughly simulate the changing color temps of light over the course of a season. I have yet to really play with what they call full spectrum lighting in flower but from people I have talked to the claim it produces somewhat shorter but more dense or heavier buds.

Okay I think I about talked stretch to death :D

HempKat

Veteran
BennyBlanco said:
when will the plant strech the most? :joint:

As I answered in my more lengthy reply :D, typically during flower but almost anytime if the light is not right for the plant.

ubenhadd

Moms

Moms

Hi all.. I need to know about bonsai moms, I have 14 moms 2-of each strain I like.. But after I have to move up to 5" pot then they seem to all turn purple on the stems, they still seem to grow fine just seem to be a lot slower. I only feed 100 ppm once a month ,just water rest of time.
They are in soil with perlite. Would it make a dif, if i used coco-perlite at 50-50 mix......
Thanks much...

muggsie

HempKat. Could you elaborate for me when earlier you stated you prefer to veg until the sex shows ( didnt know that was poss ). Does this mean that there is a point when the veg cycle is all complete and the growth stops. Does it kinds go into flowering on it's own without a light flip. Curious to know because I have a 4' x 4' box with maybe 5 1/2 to 6' usable clearance and I need to find a method to maximize my space. I am a registered user but can ony have 3 plants in flower at any one time. So Sog is out. I wanted to build a rotating ( turn table ) style scrog setup (lazy susan type thing under a round bottom) on top I would have a 18-20" screen going around the perimeter leaving a doughnut style hole in the middle where my 600w vetical cool tube with 3' parabolic dome would fit nice. Just turn the bottom to train the plants under the screen easily. But now i'm wondering if I can fill the screen enough with just 3 plants. Do I need to go and get 3 of those 20' sativas. thanks for your help.

Sundown

HempKat - Took me a while to get back, went to the mountains on my bike.
Hmm, Quote msg doesn't seem to be working on my system now.
Anyway, I certainly agree with what you said on page 22. And if You want to ask me something, you are more than welcome. I'm at an intermediate stage in my growing knowledge I guess, I'm not a beginner anymore, but I certainly don't consider myself an expert. If You like I'll look in and see if I can help You out with hydro questions from time to time, but at present it probably won't b a daily kind of thing. I've got 2 many things going for now. And I thought I'd have nothing to do when I retired. LOL. If nothing else I'm good at searching for answers. I've done a LOT of that!

HempKat

Veteran
ubenhadd said:
Hi all.. I need to know about bonsai moms, I have 14 moms 2-of each strain I like.. But after I have to move up to 5" pot then they seem to all turn purple on the stems, they still seem to grow fine just seem to be a lot slower. I only feed 100 ppm once a month ,just water rest of time.
They are in soil with perlite. Would it make a dif, if i used coco-perlite at 50-50 mix......
Thanks much...

Well Bonsai or not if you move them to a larger pot they should do better. You might see some brief delay in growth from transplant shock but that usually goes away in a couple of days and doesn't change leaf color. Is this a new occurrence or is this something that has happened repeatedly? I ask because if it is new and just happened I'd be inclined to say colder outdoor temps have cooled your grow space and the plants are reacting to a temp. change which can cause stem color to change to purple. However there are also a number of other things that can cause it I believe although I'm not familiar enough to be able to list them off hand. Various imbalences in diets and such. Stems turning purple can be natural in some strains too. I'd say the most common cause of things turning purplish though is cool temps and so that's my best guess.

I don't know much about soil-less mixes but 50/50 coco/perlite should be fine in the proper kind of setup, that's more towards hydro though which alas I'm just a simple old dirt farmer. :D

HempKat

Veteran
muggsie said:
HempKat. Could you elaborate for me when earlier you stated you prefer to veg until the sex shows ( didnt know that was poss ). Does this mean that there is a point when the veg cycle is all complete and the growth stops. Does it kinds go into flowering on it's own without a light flip. Curious to know because I have a 4' x 4' box with maybe 5 1/2 to 6' usable clearance and I need to find a method to maximize my space. I am a registered user but can ony have 3 plants in flower at any one time. So Sog is out. I wanted to build a rotating ( turn table ) style scrog setup (lazy susan type thing under a round bottom) on top I would have a 18-20" screen going around the perimeter leaving a doughnut style hole in the middle where my 600w vetical cool tube with 3' parabolic dome would fit nice. Just turn the bottom to train the plants under the screen easily. But now i'm wondering if I can fill the screen enough with just 3 plants. Do I need to go and get 3 of those 20' sativas. thanks for your help.

Hmm tough question, the first tricky part is what is enough, because that's a relative term unique to the individual. I'd say done right the maximum yield of three plants indoors would be a ScrOG at least in the space you describe. I like your lazy susan idea as it wold maximize the light if the table were made to rotate periodically and it would maximize the vertical space because the light would be in the middle of the plants instead of the ceiling. Now normally I would say four scrogged plants would work nice for a space that size but you wouldn't need so much height. Given the way you are doing it though if you gave it a bit extra veg time it should fill in just fine, the key being the root system has to have enough room and whatever else it needs to support the size plants you want. Oh and no, you shouldn't need 20' sativas unless thats what you want :smile:

Now while a ScrOG done right is the most efficient way to yield the most pot for a few plants in a small space it may not be the most practical Three fully developed 6 foot ladies can yield quite a bit. And that's just growing them straight up with no extensive training or screens or anything else, just a plant growing in a nice size pot. You don't maximize by a single grow though you maximize be repetitive grows. I realize the laws could make it tricky there, do they give you any room on the plant numbers concerning seedlings or young clones? If you can have say 3 clones and one or two moms or maybe 6 clones then you could just keep harvesting and putting three more in at the same time such that you harvest every 2 months or so. Three well developed plants could each yield as much as a pound maybe more although maybe not every 2 to 3 months but even a pound total from three plants every two months or so should keep you well supplied unless you are a super monster smoker. In 6 months time you should be able to have enough of a stash to take 6 months off if you want. Otherwise, to have to go from seed and be limited to three is not very practical and would almost force one to go with feminized seed and to be dependent on seed merchants and breeders.

As far as your question, what I meant about pre-sexing is that most plants at some point in veg if given enough time, will show pre-flowers. This is not actual flowering though, for all intents and purposes the plant is still in veg. I would say however that once pre-flowers show, it's better for the plant if you can get it into flower not long after. I say this because it is my belief if you keep them at the pre-flower stage too long they go thru a phase similar to reverting to veg from flower even though they never went to flower. Further I find that if you flower when they are in this phase they will not do as well as if you flower them as soon as pre-flowers show. That is based solely on my experiences though and therefore may not be accurate. :D Now that's in general, there's always exceptions to the rules. Like for example auto-flowering strains like lowryder (there are others but that's probably the best known) of course the low part of it makes it no good for you. Also you get varients within strains, plants that behave differently then other plants from the same batch of seeds. They may be more stubborn and not want to flower so soon. Usually these you can speed up over a week by gradually decreasing the lights on from say 18 hours to 16 or even 14 hours, not quite enough to trigger flower but enough to make the plant think the time is near. Usually though, people just give them 8 weeks and if they haven't shown by then they will a few days into flower. Even though they haven't shown they should still be mature enough for flower at 8 weeks. I myself have never gone more then 10 weeks but that was more due to needing to harvest by a certain date because of other things then anything else. Essentially as long as the plant has sufficient light/air/temps/space (above and below the soil)/food/water etc then it will continue to grow, which is the biggest asset to indoor growing, we the growers can dictate when the plant flowers.

HempKat

Veteran
Sundown said:
HempKat - Took me a while to get back, went to the mountains on my bike.
Hmm, Quote msg doesn't seem to be working on my system now.
Anyway, I certainly agree with what you said on page 22. And if You want to ask me something, you are more than welcome. I'm at an intermediate stage in my growing knowledge I guess, I'm not a beginner anymore, but I certainly don't consider myself an expert. If You like I'll look in and see if I can help You out with hydro questions from time to time, but at present it probably won't b a daily kind of thing. I've got 2 many things going for now. And I thought I'd have nothing to do when I retired. LOL. If nothing else I'm good at searching for answers. I've done a LOT of that!

Well any help at all that you want to contribute would be fine especially in the area of hydro since my knowledge there is non existant. :smile: I don't have any particular format or style beyond trying to be helpful and understanding that people are not all on the same level. Something that seems to bother others and I should warn you about is if I see something I feel I can input on I will even if someone else essentially covered it maybe not every single time but usually. I do that because often there is more then one way to look at things and people have been told all sorts of odd things by the time they get here usually. So I figure more then one old fart chiming in more or less makes it more certain when in agreement and provides more options when not in agreement or the same.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
woha I was looking at my plant the otherday and I found a lone male flower but one or two of the nanners were busted.....The flower was locted at the bottom of the plant....so whats the radius of a pollen burst indoors? I mean the whole crop wont be seeded right?

muggsie

HempKat, I appreciate the time You put in to this thread and my question. Yes I can have mother plants, I can have 6 plants total only 3 can be in flower. makes it hard for a perpetual. Wish I could do more. Looking for quality meds; and usually it seem the hardest hitting meds wont give me a pound a plant. The last true one hit wonder for me was some sour/d. But i'm to new to have expectations of a pound of anything. But i'll keep trying........thanks again.

N

newbieb

if a light is 1000 watts and the outlet is 15 amps and 240 volts how many lights can i fit in one outlet

HempKat

Veteran
BennyBlanco said:
woha I was looking at my plant the otherday and I found a lone male flower but one or two of the nanners were busted.....The flower was locted at the bottom of the plant....so whats the radius of a pollen burst indoors? I mean the whole crop wont be seeded right?

It could be, depends on how well the air is circulating in the grow room. If it's not circulating very well then chances are good there will be little to no impact to you crop. If the air is circulating well and your ladies have hairs out then your whole crop may already be pollinated. Pollon is powerful stuff, a little tiny bit can do alot.

HempKat

Veteran
newbieb said:
if a light is 1000 watts and the outlet is 15 amps and 240 volts how many lights can i fit in one outlet

Well most 15amp circuits can only handle one 1000W light. That's on a typical circuit here in the States, where voltage for most outlets is 120V. I don't know exactly how it's done, it does involve special circuitry and/or wiring but there's a way to split a 240 into 2 120's that being the case that circuit could handle 2 lights if done right. Actually it can handle more then just the two lights, also the related fans for cooling. When figuring a circuit load you always try to keep below you circuits maximum load. If a circuit can handle 1500W you keep it down to 1200W. If you run it loaded the slightest hiccup in power will cause the circuit to break.

HempKat

Veteran
muggsie said:
HempKat, I appreciate the time You put in to this thread and my question. Yes I can have mother plants, I can have 6 plants total only 3 can be in flower. makes it hard for a perpetual. Wish I could do more. Looking for quality meds; and usually it seem the hardest hitting meds wont give me a pound a plant. The last true one hit wonder for me was some sour/d. But i'm to new to have expectations of a pound of anything. But i'll keep trying........thanks again.

Yeah 6 total does make it tough, but not impossible, it just doesn't allow much room for error. You are right that many of the hardest hitting weeds are small yielders. Well I only mentioned a pound or more per plant because it's possible. More realistic is a quarter or half pound per plant. Still at a half pound per that's 1.5 pounds from a single crop. I'm a pretty heavy smoker but 2 pounds per year is all I really need to keep a steady supply of smokable weed.

HempKat

Veteran
green_grow said:
is it adviseable to do the final transplant BEFORE flowering begins, or after ?

Well if you are careful and know what you are doing you can transplant anytime. However, once you get beyond the first couple of weeks of flower there's no much root developement that goes on so transplanting then is kind of a waste of soil.

Not that it's a requirement but I reccommend one takes care of any final transplant before going to flower, maybe a week before to give the roots time to begin to spread in the new soil.

Sundown

HempKat, thanx for the invite. And I have no problem with someone chiming in when I'm right, but if I'm WRONG I want to know! So if I screw up don't hesitate to correct me. But like U said if several people are in agreement on a point more than likely they're right. Also, different people may need something explained in a different way in order to understand.

and in that spirit ...

NEWBIEB - A 15 amp 240 volt circuit in the states is actually 2 120 volt circuits 180 degrees out of phase. A 240 volt circuit can handle a lot more than 15 amps, depends on the guage wire and the size breaker. Now, that said I wouldn't run more than 1 1000 watt light on a 15 amp circuit no matter what the voltage of that circuit. Most likely if it is an existing line 15 amps is all that the wire from the breaker to the outlet can handle. Especially in newer installations, they don't use anything any more expensive than they need.

One thing to remember is even though your light is 1000 watts, you are really drawing more power than that. I figure 10 percent over to allow for the ballast, so a 1000 watt light is pulling something like 1100 watts.

One last thing, but it's a biggie. Make certain your circuit can handle the load you put on it. And not just the breaker/outlet, any extension cords etc need to be rated higher than the power you are using. My best friends house burnt down because he had a cloner on too small of an extension cord. I tend to go the overkill route on this, using wires/cords that are rated at TWICE the power I'm using.

Hope that helps, gotta go 4 now, it's harvest day and I'm just waiting for the res to drain.