What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
Just stopped by to say High hempKat man nice to see youre always doing good...
Its always a pleasure to stop by and check out all the tips you spread around..:smile:
take care,

wam

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
WAMEN said:
Just stopped by to say High hempKat man nice to see youre always doing good...
Its always a pleasure to stop by and check out all the tips you spread around..:smile:
take care,

wam

Thanks Wamen, good to see you around too. :smile:

N

newbieb

thanks hempkat, and sundown (sundown by the extension cord having to be higher then the appliance you mean higher in amps right ? )

HempKat

Veteran
newbieb said:
thanks hempkat, and sundown (sundown by the extension cord having to be higher then the appliance you mean higher in amps right ? )

Not to speak for him, but to get you a quick answer, yes he means rated higher in Amps. Amps is a measurement of the current. The current of an electrical circuit is what elctrical componants are rated in. If it's rated lower then the current going thru it, the wires heat up, insulation melts, and usually a fire starts after that. If your wire is rated to handle more current then the circuit breaker will allow you should be safe because the breaker kills the power before the wire's limit is reached.

Voltage is kind of the force pushing current thru the wire, over distance or if it encounters resistance voltage drops and current becomes less.

Current is kind of like the speed and force of electrons being pushed by the voltage

Power is a mathmatical expression of the relationship between current and voltage.

This is based on ohm's law which is the foundation of electronics. Ohms law basically says, "Power is the amount of current times the voltage level at a given point measured in wattage or watts."

I'm giving you too much detail here by the way but I'm throwing some of this other stuff in to maybe help to explain things better.

Last edited:

Dan42nepa

Need opinion

Need opinion

I posted this in the organic forum but didnt get many responses.. Below is my preposed schedule for feeding. Nothing is set in stone and its only a guideline. I am looking for feedback for it being sufficient to supply healthy heavy buds. The one thing that confuses me is the bat guano (.5-12-0.2) in conjunction with the bio bloom 1.1-2.5-2. Not sure if that will be sufficient?

Ok.. I am on day 15 of my 5 plant northern lights grow. I am using 400 MH lights and my soil is the only organic soil I could find in my area especially this time of year. I cant make my own because I cant easily locate the components.

The soil is Master Nurserys Gardeners Gold.

All natural rich blend of Fir bark fines, forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, worm castings chicken manure, bat guano, kelp meal and pH balanced to 6.5 with oyster shell and dolomites limes. For use in all indoor/outdoor potting containers and raised bed applications.

I cut the soil with some promix and 1/3 perlite. So far plants are doing well... They are currently in 1 quart containers and will be transplanting in about a week.

My plan is to wait until after i transplant and the following week start using Liquid Seaweed half strength weekly.
When I finally start to flower I will use Indo bat guano and bio bloom using this schedule.

Vegetative:

Week 1: Nothing
Week 2: Feed with 1/4 strength Liquid Fish (5-1-1) *if yellowing
Week 3: Feed from soil
Week 4: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)
Week 5: Feed from soil
Week 6: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)
Week 7: Feed from soil
Week 8: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)

*Use Epsom Salt if any Mg def.

Flowering:

Week 1: Feed from soil
Week 2: Feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1) (1ts)
Week 3: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (1ts)
Week 4: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (2ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5), Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1) (1ts)
Week 5: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (3ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 6: Feed with Bio Bloom (1-2.5-2) (4ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 7: Feed with Bio Bloom (1-2.5-2) (4ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 8: Flush (plain water)
Week 9: Flush (plain water)

actually i copied this schedule from someone else but he hasnt actually used this yet and is using different soil

Is this enough to give me a hardy harvest? Any critiques would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Dan

HempKat

Veteran
Dan42nepa said:
I posted this in the organic forum but didnt get many responses.. Below is my preposed schedule for feeding. Nothing is set in stone and its only a guideline. I am looking for feedback for it being sufficient to supply healthy heavy buds. The one thing that confuses me is the bat guano (.5-12-0.2) in conjunction with the bio bloom 1.1-2.5-2. Not sure if that will be sufficient?

Ok.. I am on day 15 of my 5 plant northern lights grow. I am using 400 MH lights and my soil is the only organic soil I could find in my area especially this time of year. I cant make my own because I cant easily locate the components.

The soil is Master Nurserys Gardeners Gold.

All natural rich blend of Fir bark fines, forest humus, sphagnum peat moss, perlite, worm castings chicken manure, bat guano, kelp meal and pH balanced to 6.5 with oyster shell and dolomites limes. For use in all indoor/outdoor potting containers and raised bed applications.

I cut the soil with some promix and 1/3 perlite. So far plants are doing well... They are currently in 1 quart containers and will be transplanting in about a week.

My plan is to wait until after i transplant and the following week start using Liquid Seaweed half strength weekly.
When I finally start to flower I will use Indo bat guano and bio bloom using this schedule.

Vegetative:

Week 1: Nothing
Week 2: Feed with 1/4 strength Liquid Fish (5-1-1) *if yellowing
Week 3: Feed from soil
Week 4: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)
Week 5: Feed from soil
Week 6: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)
Week 7: Feed from soil
Week 8: Foiler feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1)

*Use Epsom Salt if any Mg def.

Flowering:

Week 1: Feed from soil
Week 2: Feed with Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1) (1ts)
Week 3: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (1ts)
Week 4: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (2ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5), Liquid Seaweed (0-0-1) (1ts)
Week 5: Feed with Bio-Bloom (1-2.5-2) (3ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 6: Feed with Bio Bloom (1-2.5-2) (4ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 7: Feed with Bio Bloom (1-2.5-2) (4ts), Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12.5-1.5) (2ts), Mollasses (1ts)
Week 8: Flush (plain water)
Week 9: Flush (plain water)

actually i copied this schedule from someone else but he hasnt actually used this yet and is using different soil

Is this enough to give me a hardy harvest? Any critiques would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Dan

It looks good, you may have to break out the fish emulsion a few times, depending on how well fed the soil can keep the plants. The ferts for flower look good in their numbers and does look like a good flower ratio (low N, High P, modorately low K). I don't think I'd flush for two weeks in an all organic environment, one week should be enough. Don't forget, with organics it takes about a week to break down and start using anything new that's added. You should get good results if you follow that schedule. You may have to adjust slightly for the plant but I doubt it since Northern Lights is known to be an easy strain to grow and not likely to be overly sensitive to nutrients.

G

please if any one can help with this
if i have a male that was flowering about 15 days...i chopped him put the top of the plant in a glass of water on 12 and 12 will it continue to flower?

G

i wouldnt know i dont grow roses...thanks for your opinion...can anyone confirm this will work...logic says yes..but i have never done this

Dan42nepa said:
sounds possible... cant you cut roses from bushes which havent bloomed, put them in water and they will still bloom?

Budless

How would one go about bringing the purple out during a grow?

To give a bit of information I bought some Sweet Tooth from Barney's. I have seen some people with purple verities and some people with absolutely no purple what so ever. IIRC somebody mentioned something about lowering the temperature during flowering to cause the purple to come out, but I also recall hearing something a bout certain nutes providing the color change. I assumed it was more of a genetics thing. Could somebody point in the right direction? Thanks ye olde fartes!

G

somebody was using purplemax on there kali-mist...i could definitely tell the difference

HempKat

Veteran
unicorn said:
please if any one can help with this
if i have a male that was flowering about 15 days...i chopped him put the top of the plant in a glass of water on 12 and 12 will it continue to flower?

If you only need to keep him for a short time to get some pollen, that should work, if you need him to last longer or actually grow, then you need to treat it like any other clone. However cloning in flower is generally considered more difficult.

HempKat

Veteran
Budless said:
How would one go about bringing the purple out during a grow?

To give a bit of information I bought some Sweet Tooth from Barney's. I have seen some people with purple verities and some people with absolutely no purple what so ever. IIRC somebody mentioned something about lowering the temperature during flowering to cause the purple to come out, but I also recall hearing something a bout certain nutes providing the color change. I assumed it was more of a genetics thing. Could somebody point in the right direction? Thanks ye olde fartes!

I have never heard of something to cause a color change although I'm sure such things are out there. I have gotten some purple effect by messing with the temps but I don't see the value in it, it's harder on the plants to lower the temps as low as you need to. To me the purple it brings out isn't very attractive. The only bud with purple in it that looked good to me was bud that has that as a genetic trait. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing about purple bud that's particularly better by today's standards. In fact I've heard that some purple strains (genetically purple I mean) are only average as far as quality and yield. If you take a plant and make it more purple with temps it doesn't improve the high, taste or smell only the bag appeal and then only for people who believe purple is special. If there is something out there that changes the natural color of the plant and possibly enhances the chemical structure of the resin, well I'm not so sure I want to suck that into my lungs.

I'll just stick with whatever color I get growing them the way they're meant to be grown. :)

Budless

HempKat said:
I'll just stick with whatever color I get growing them the way they're meant to be grown. :)

Thanks. I don't suspect that purple means the strain is any lesser or greater in quality, I just wanted something with some visual appeal to myself. I actually like the purple in the bud. Hell I like bud that isn't just completely green. But you know, even after saying all that I admit that Green is my favorite color, so I can't exactly hate it, now can I? On top of that, it would be rare for me to rase a fuss over what color the weed is as long as I get to partake is smoking it :p

Thanks again for your imput. :p Happy toking all!

One more question!

I have some bag seed that came from some good bud. They're from friend's personal batch that was pretty dusty and a damn good smoke IIRC. I ordered my Sweet Tooth under the presumption that my seeds wouldn't be germing. The Sweet Tooth had been ordered the seeds decided to pop and I planted them. So far it looks to be a 100% germ rate, but they are just developing their first root stem and pushing above the soil. The Sweet Tooth wont be here until next week most likely. This may sound dumb, but should I grow the bagseed of questionable quality or the Sweet Tooth?

I was thinking I could do a short test grow. The cab I'm using is new so I could find any flaws through a first run, and if the bud turns out good I'll have extra. Not to mention something to toke on sooner or later. I would probably do a 2 week veg and then flower the plants small depending on certain factor if I decided to grow them.

Anybody want to comment?

Last edited:
G

no i just want his love dust lol....peace and thankyou

HempKat said:
If you only need to keep him for a short time to get some pollen, that should work, if you need him to last longer or actually grow, then you need to treat it like any other clone. However cloning in flower is generally considered more difficult.

HempKat

Veteran
unicorn said:
no i just want his love dust lol....peace and thankyou

Did he look like he was close (some balls turning yellowish)? If so then it should work because I did that once and it worked but mine was just 3 or 4 days away from dropping pollen.

HempKat

Veteran
Budless said:
Thanks. I don't suspect that purple means the strain is any lesser or greater in quality, I just wanted something with some visual appeal to myself. I actually like the purple in the bud. Hell I like bud that isn't just completely green. But you know, even after saying all that I admit that Green is my favorite color, so I can't exactly hate it, now can I? On top of that, it would be rare for me to rase a fuss over what color the weed is as long as I get to partake is smoking it :p

Thanks again for your imput. :p Happy toking all!

One more question!

I have some bag seed that came from some good bud. They're from friend's personal batch that was pretty dusty and a damn good smoke IIRC. I ordered my Sweet Tooth under the presumption that my seeds wouldn't be germing. The Sweet Tooth had been ordered the seeds decided to pop and I planted them. So far it looks to be a 100% germ rate, but they are just developing their first root stem and pushing above the soil. The Sweet Tooth wont be here until next week most likely. This may sound dumb, but should I grow the bagseed of questionable quality or the Sweet Tooth?

I was thinking I could do a short test grow. The cab I'm using is new so I could find any flaws through a first run, and if the bud turns out good I'll have extra. Not to mention something to toke on sooner or later. I would probably do a 2 week veg and then flower the plants small depending on certain factor if I decided to grow them.

Anybody want to comment?

Yeah I'd go ahead with the bagseed you got going. The only real problem with bagseed is that you have no way of knowing the exact strain usually. This of course translates to not knowing what traits to expect, what special needs this strain may have if any, how long flowering time is etc. However, more and more, quality genetics are creeping into the street market. So that killer bag of weed could be a very desirable strain.

Besides, they are already going and it'll be another week maybe before you get your other seeds, so that's a week further along in growth and therefore a week closer to harvest. Plus like you stated you have a new box and this gives you the chance to test it on something you'll be less upset about if something goes wrong.

The only thing I would do different from what you are saying is that I wouldn't flower before week 5 of veg at the earliest. That's just me and my style of growing though. Your box may be small and require you to grow them differently then I do to be able to finish in the box. At 2 weeks veg though, generally speaking, the plant is immature, you can flower it then but developement won't be as good as it could or should be.

G

actually he is not ready yet...i have noticed they are swelling the past few days...beautiful kali-mist x bogglegum male hope i get some pollen

HempKat said:
Did he look like he was close (some balls turning yellowish)? If so then it should work because I did that once and it worked but mine was just 3 or 4 days away from dropping pollen.

HempKat

Veteran
unicorn said:
actually he is not ready yet...i have noticed they are swelling the past few days...beautiful kali-mist x bogglegum male hope i get some pollen

Well if they are visibly swelling that's got to be a good sign :yes:

Do you have a good bit of stem to play with? If so you may be able to treat it like a rose or other cut flowers. The bottoms of the stems get kind of funky and don't absorb water very well after that. You can keep cut flowers going a bit longer by cutting off the bottom bit that went bad. Maybe the same principal would apply here? I'm not sure, I only did mine like that the one time for 4 days, after that I didn't need it so it wasn't an issue.

Anyway, I hope you succeed, both the strains in the cross are individually well respected so that combo applied to some other female should lead to something good. :smile:

Latest posts

Latest posts