What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

first person too find Ihaveworms from cannabisworld, when he writes me, Ill throw a hundred in your pocket, no shit....please tell him to contact me.

G

Hey Kat I have a question. When adding perlite to your soil is it better to just set the perlite ontop of the soil or to mix it into the soil?

fatboyOGOF

howdy hempcat.

i've pretty much got the growing thing down. always room for improvement of course and i try not to think of the light shock disaster of 1998, or the bubbling bucket disaster of 2002 or... :)

the genetics are skunk #1 (a favorite). the clones were clones of clones of clones of clones. i guess they just decided to flower and get it over with. i lost some lovely stuff. the good news is, i will be putting some new stuff into the water in a day or so. sensi star, stonehedge and swiss bliss.

i've been cloning for 11 years and i've only lost the clones to autoflower a handful of times. i like the idea of gradually changing the light cycle. that makes sense.

i don't really have a problem with roots, it's just that anything that helps them along is a good thing. after 11 years of 24/7 i'm going to switch to 18/6 starting with the new batch.

i have no luck keeping mums so i take clones just before i switch to flower. this unfortunately causes me to have to veg the clones for 60 plus days depending on when those in flower are ready. most of my genetics are ready at 60 - 70 days. ready for me anyway. i prefer to cut them when mostly cloudy and a few amber.

thanks for the input. very good thread you have here.

i'm using an odd proxy so can't give karma but i appreciate it.

hey meaty. mix it well into your soil!

Last edited:

Heavy Chevy

I read an article over at cannabis culture which was a very in depth forum on scrogging in which the grower suggested to cut fan leaves at any point during flower if it was shading a bud site. Well I am somewhat hesitant to do this because I don't want to stress the plant into a Hermie. And I have tried to tuck as many as possible but no matter what there are still budsites being shaded. Should I cut certain fan leaves? I mean is it ok to do this? Or should I just leave em be and stop being so picky?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Meaty said:
Hey Kat I have a question. When adding perlite to your soil is it better to just set the perlite ontop of the soil or to mix it into the soil?

You want to mix it in. The main benefit to perlite is it keeps the soil kind of loose which makes it easier for the roots to get thru and fluffier soil gets more of the gases from the air that the plant and roots need. If it sits on top it's not going to do much good for you.

HempKat

Veteran
fatboyOGOF said:
howdy hempcat.

i've pretty much got the growing thing down. always room for improvement of course and i try not to think of the light shock disaster of 1998, or the bubbling bucket disaster of 2002 or... :)

the genetics are skunk #1 (a favorite). the clones were clones of clones of clones of clones. i guess they just decided to flower and get it over with. i lost some lovely stuff. the good news is, i will be putting some new stuff into the water in a day or so. sensi star, stonehedge and swiss bliss.

i've been cloning for 11 years and i've only lost the clones to autoflower a handful of times. i like the idea of gradually changing the light cycle. that makes sense.

i don't really have a problem with roots, it's just that anything that helps them along is a good thing. after 11 years of 24/7 i'm going to switch to 18/6 starting with the new batch.

i have no luck keeping mums so i take clones just before i switch to flower. this unfortunately causes me to have to veg the clones for 60 plus days depending on when those in flower are ready. most of my genetics are ready at 60 - 70 days. ready for me anyway. i prefer to cut them when mostly cloudy and a few amber.

thanks for the input. very good thread you have here.

i'm using an odd proxy so can't give karma but i appreciate it.

hey meaty. mix it well into your soil!

Well for what it's worth I used to do the 24/0 thing for all of veg as I wanted to get the maximum growth in the shortest amount of time. Then I went to 18/6 and I found the growth was not that much different but overall the plants seemed generally healthier. So now I only do 24/0 for the first 2 weeks when the plant is trying to establish itse;f. I figure at that point the extra hours makes sense.

HempKat

Veteran
Heavy Chevy said:
I read an article over at cannabis culture which was a very in depth forum on scrogging in which the grower suggested to cut fan leaves at any point during flower if it was shading a bud site. Well I am somewhat hesitant to do this because I don't want to stress the plant into a Hermie. And I have tried to tuck as many as possible but no matter what there are still budsites being shaded. Should I cut certain fan leaves? I mean is it ok to do this? Or should I just leave em be and stop being so picky?

Well I've never done ScrOG so I can't say for sure. Personally from my experience growing I'm against the idea of removing leaves. Every leaf the plant puts out is generating some energy to food conversion that goes to feed the whole plant. The less leave it has the less energy it will absorb is the way I see it. That being said I know there are many who swear by removing some leaves. I do notice though that the one's that seem to do well with it all say that you have to know when and what to remove but I've never heard anyone clarify what they mean by that.

the cult

@hempcat, in response to the 2 earlier posts

about leaves yellowing when the plant gets rootbound, my theory after a few days of brainstorming is simple: the plant actually outgrows the roots. we all hear the root mass and the canopy is roughly the same size, but when a plant gets rootbound the plant keeps growing as usual and slows down only when there are not enough roots to support all of the plant, ie, it cant feed all its parts properly, leaving some bottom leaves to yellow. in other words, the plant cant maintain itself properly at its current state, cos its rootbound, the bottom leaves yellow.

about ph, i prefer a low ph, even down to 5.2, but somewhere around 5.2-5.5 is fine for me; even Canna's growschedule recommends a ph of 5.2-6.2. i experienced higher yields as i decreased after a recommendation from a friend who has been growing for many more years than me. i used the same ph for coco as well with good success.

thanks again for your earlier responses, just wanted to bounce back some info

Last edited:

gr0wmatic

gr0wm4g3 said:
I've got a guerilla growing question...

I need a method to take out a good 5 lbs from my harvest - all not yet dried. I was thinking maybe I could somehow make a false bottom in an icechest but then I would have to remold it or something and I'm not sure how to do that. Do the old farts have any ideas on how to stealthily move out about 5 lbs of harvested buds?

BTW my cover is a fisherman, that's why I had the icechest idea.

im confused as to what u are asking u need a way to transporter this bud-age or ??

u need a way to hide this guerrilla gr0w ??

also depends on how far u have to trasnport this said budage ??

short distances less then 10 miles id say a garbage bad is a good way ....

more than 10 miles maybe use boxs make look like ure moving ....

trash removal works as well ......

gr0wm4g3

gr0wmatic said:
im confused as to what u are asking u need a way to transporter this bud-age or ??

u need a way to hide this guerrilla gr0w ??

also depends on how far u have to trasnport this said budage ??

short distances less then 10 miles id say a garbage bad is a good way ....

more than 10 miles maybe use boxs make look like ure moving ....

trash removal works as well ......

I was just looking for a stealthy way to take my harvest from the middle of the woods to my car without attracting too much attention from any possible LEO encounters.

green_grow

Veteran
i have seen many people referring to "grow bags" of various sizes . what is a grow bag and what advantages/disadvantages do they have in relation to good old soil-in-a-bucket ?

HempKat

Veteran
green_grow said:
i have seen many people referring to "grow bags" of various sizes . what is a grow bag and what advantages/disadvantages do they have in relation to good old soil-in-a-bucket ?

They are basically plastic bage tough enough and the right size and shape to be used as pots. Their advantage is they are more flexible and disposable their disadvantage is they aren't as strong as a bucket and so there's greater risk of potentially damaging the roots if mishandled.

At least that's my understanding, I've never felt they need to use them myself.

PassionForMaryJ

Shit, forgot that reputatipn here does not show who it is from, last one was from me Hempy ;)

Hope all the Old Farts are high and well!!!

HempKat

Veteran
PassionForMaryJ said:
Shit, forgot that reputatipn here does not show who it is from, last one was from me Hempy ;)

Hope all the Old Farts are high and well!!!

Oh now that is just plain wrong, look at you taking advantage of the system to take credit! :D Just kidding, it's all good PFMJ I stopped worrying about that stuff after OG. I just do what I do, if people like it fine, if they don't fine. :smile:

Sundown

Heavy Chevy - I don't really qualify as a bonafide "old fart", well not in growin anyway, but I've been growin my own for a while now. I clip fan leaves that are shading buds regularly with no Ill effects to any of the plants I've grown. I do avoid trimming leaves if they're not shading something or bunched together (can cause mold probs) in my LST 'd plants, my thinking on the subject is that the fan leaves are the "factories" for the plant - converting nutrients into things the plants can use - and that trimming too many of them can stunt the plant. This is what appears to have happened when I overtrimmed. Again, I'm no botanist, nor do I have decades of experience. Hope this helps anyway though.

Litz_C

i got a question for old farts. How to make the crops have more poteny?

i want to raise my lady's poteny badly and i have no clud how to do it right...

maybe i don;t haev the green thumb at all so i need some help. Thankz

HempKat

Veteran
Sundown said:
Heavy Chevy - I don't really qualify as a bonafide "old fart", well not in growin anyway, but I've been growin my own for a while now. I clip fan leaves that are shading buds regularly with no Ill effects to any of the plants I've grown. I do avoid trimming leaves if they're not shading something or bunched together (can cause mold probs) in my LST 'd plants, my thinking on the subject is that the fan leaves are the "factories" for the plant - converting nutrients into things the plants can use - and that trimming too many of them can stunt the plant. This is what appears to have happened when I overtrimmed. Again, I'm no botanist, nor do I have decades of experience. Hope this helps anyway though.

Well for what it's worth you're basically right. The plant like many things in nature builds alot of backup systems (lots of leaves) they die off for various reasons eventually but the plant still has plenty of leaves working so it's okay. In an indoor environment especially (less exposure to things that could harm the plant) you can get away with trimming some of the leaves. The thing to be most mindful of though is by trimming leaves it's like lowering the plant's immune system, as long as the environment stays health the plant should be fine. Ultimately though the more healthy green leaves you can keep on a plant late into flower, the better ultimately your buds will be.

HempKat

Veteran
Litz_C said:
i got a question for old farts. How to make the crops have more poteny?

i want to raise my lady's poteny badly and i have no clud how to do it right...

maybe i don;t haev the green thumb at all so i need some help. Thankz

Well there's really only so much you can do as each plant is limited by it's genetics. Some strains are more potent then other and that's all there is to it. You can improve things somewhat by optimizing the growing environment give as much light as you can afford to run in your grow area and the strongest you can run. Keep a good routine of water and ferts insuring the ph is correct by testing it frequently. You good ferts and soil mixes, maintain optimal temps for your strain, etc. There is no real trick that you can do to make a strain better. Really the only real improvement comes from running successive generations. Plants adjust the dna the put into seeds to adapt the future generations for the environment. If you maintain a steady routine eventually the plant will adapt to your environment and do better after say 4 or 5 generations.

Sundown

I'm searching for something that will get rid of nutrient and hydroton deposits in my recirculating DWCs. The products I'm looking at are Flora Kleen and Hygrozyme. Anyone had any experience with either of those 2? My systems have a seperate res for each plant connected to a central pumping bucket so they're kind of a pain to clean, anything that will extend the time between cleanings would b great.

Latest posts

Latest posts