What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

PassionForMaryJ

No hurry, it's your thread, put it up when and where you want. :smile:

I actually want to be in somewhat of a hurry, but the more I check into what I will need to do so I can get a little cab running, the more I find out I will need to spend... :/

I found a member here with a really good thread on making your own stealth dresser cab for vegging, I'd just have to find a way to incorporate a DIY scrubber into the mix without compromising the space inside.
At most I want to have is the lights, and maybe a small PC fan or two for air circulation..
Which means I'd need to try to find a quiet inline fan rated at least around 108 cfm's to attach to the back of the dresser, maybe more cfm's depending on the scrubber I build...
I am sure I could attach it so that if somebody was to mention stopping by, then I could disconnect the ducting/blower/scrubber, and hide it till they leave, of course I'd have to cover the vent hole coming from the dresser, that way the smell does not get too bad before they leave...

I know I really need to have a way to vent the air outdoors, but that is an issue I am currently thinking about, I see no easy way for me to do so, which makes it tough to have the old air exhausted out properly, rather than having it recirculated...

Forgot to post link to the DIY Dresser Steal Mod I mentioned..
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=127797

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Yeah, I was going to say have the scrubber outside so the fan is blowing thru it and just let it exhaust into the room outside the dresser. That's similar to how I run my room and you can't smell it in the room I exhaust into.

As for stealth since we're talking a dresser sized grow isn't there a closet you could put the dresser into? So that when someone comes by rather then unhooking things and interupting the environment of your grow, you could just shut the closet door and leave things running in the closet.

PassionForMaryJ

You could place a filter on the outside and put it in a laundry bag to disquise it and blow the exhaust into it.
That is a pretty good idea, thank you.
You are suggesting putting the fan inside the bag right?
You do not think it would suck the bag into it and burn up do you?

Yeah, I was going to say have the scrubber outside so the fan is blowing thru it and just let it exhaust into the room outside the dresser. That's similar to how I run my room and you can't smell it in the room I exhaust into.

As for stealth since we're talking a dresser sized grow isn't there a closet you could put the dresser into? So that when someone comes by rather then unhooking things and interupting the environment of your grow, you could just shut the closet door and leave things running in the closet.

That is most likely what I will do Hempy, thanks.

As for having it in a closet, I do have a closet that I could put it in, but I'd have to move some of the stuff out of it, which will be tough to due because I am running out of room here.
I'll see if I can put the stuff into my room that is dedicated for storage, it is kind of full, but I can stack some stuff.

As for leaving things in the cab running if my landlord comes by, just in case I'd turn everything off if they come by, it would not hurt much because they would not stay long..

I'll have some 120mm PC fans inside the cab to keep air circulating while all else is off.

I doubt the landlord would ever look into my closet, because that would be like an invasion of my privacy, but I was thinking having in a regular room where you'd normally see a dresser would be better.

Even if I go with the closet idea, I am still considering hiding the fan/scrubber/ducting somehow, if the landlord comes by that is, not out of paranoia, but because I cannot really risk loosing this place, it was really hard for me to find a place to move to on a short notice, with so little money.
Not to mention the area if the place is great consider how cheap I was able to rent it for...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I posted these questions on another thread, but didn't get a reply, so I thought I'd try here. I'm searching for information on drying room requirements. Here are my questions- any help appreciated.

1. What are the basic requirements for a drying space, as far as temperature, humidity and light (probably none for light, but...)

2. A few people on another thread said fans were not good for drying, but also a couple people said air conditioning was good for drying. What's the rill dill on A-C and fans in drying spaces?

3. What if you're indoors, but somewhere where smell doesn't matter? Is it still necessary to have air circulating?

4. I've read a couple places where it mentioned using a clothes dryer, but no specifics were given. Obviously, this is sort of ghetto/hillbilly, but if anybody has ever done it and had good luck, ~give us the skinny~
Thank you.
cheers

Gold123

PFMJ no, put the fan in the dresser blowing out and run a flexible duct to the scrubber and put the scrubber in the bag. I have used a nylon laundry bag with success, no air flow restriction.

HempKat

Veteran
That is a pretty good idea, thank you.
You are suggesting putting the fan inside the bag right?
You do not think it would suck the bag into it and burn up do you?

That is most likely what I will do Hempy, thanks.

As for having it in a closet, I do have a closet that I could put it in, but I'd have to move some of the stuff out of it, which will be tough to due because I am running out of room here.
I'll see if I can put the stuff into my room that is dedicated for storage, it is kind of full, but I can stack some stuff.

As for leaving things in the cab running if my landlord comes by, just in case I'd turn everything off if they come by, it would not hurt much because they would not stay long..

I'll have some 120mm PC fans inside the cab to keep air circulating while all else is off.

I doubt the landlord would ever look into my closet, because that would be like an invasion of my privacy, but I was thinking having in a regular room where you'd normally see a dresser would be better.

Even if I go with the closet idea, I am still considering hiding the fan/scrubber/ducting somehow, if the landlord comes by that is, not out of paranoia, but because I cannot really risk loosing this place, it was really hard for me to find a place to move to on a short notice, with so little money.
Not to mention the area if the place is great consider how cheap I was able to rent it for...

Well when I was saying to just close the closet rather then turn things off I meant for typical company (friends, family). A landlord is a bit different in that he holds control over your place of residence. That's why I suggested a closet though, done right the dresser could look like it was just being stored there. Nor would I suggest moving everything else out since you'd want it to appear somewhat cluttered. Still though if it would make you feel more comfortable, go ahead and turn it off for your landlord. Typically landlords don't come by and inspect places that often, so once in a blue moon shouldn't be an issue.

Oh and Gold has it right or at least we're saying the same configuration (fan sucking air from the box and blowing it thru the filter) I just didn't include the laundry bag idea, which isn't a bad idea by the way. :smoke:

R

Red Swan

I just canned my T5's for a 150 HPS in my veg cab. Got really hot, then I put in a fan...it's cool in their now.

I have a carbon filter in everything.

HK, PFMJ! So nice to see ya around. HK... did you ever get a good female from those SDIBL x BB after all the males? PM me the answer. oooh... I don't have enough posts for PMS'. I'll wait.

HempKat

Veteran
I posted these questions on another thread, but didn't get a reply, so I thought I'd try here. I'm searching for information on drying room requirements. Here are my questions- any help appreciated.

1. What are the basic requirements for a drying space, as far as temperature, humidity and light (probably none for light, but...)

2. A few people on another thread said fans were not good for drying, but also a couple people said air conditioning was good for drying. What's the rill dill on A-C and fans in drying spaces?

3. What if you're indoors, but somewhere where smell doesn't matter? Is it still necessary to have air circulating?

4. I've read a couple places where it mentioned using a clothes dryer, but no specifics were given. Obviously, this is sort of ghetto/hillbilly, but if anybody has ever done it and had good luck, ~give us the skinny~
Thank you.
cheers

Well the basic requirements are that you want a relatively cool but not to cool place (mid 70's degrees F) a relatively dry but not too dry place (relative humidity of 50-55%) a place with good air circulation (use a small fan just don't have it blow directly on the buds) and finally a place that is dark. AC use is okay but be careful, AC's will lower humidity. Whether smell matters or not is unimportant, the reason for air circulation is to avoid mold and bud rott.

The idea is you want your bud to dry slowly taking at least a week. If it's to warm, too dry or there is too much air movement across the buds then they'll dry out too quickly and that usually causes your bud to be more harsh. The reason for dark is once harvested light will degrade the THC

PassionForMaryJ

Thank you.
cheers

Ultimately you want the temps to be cool, humidity low, and have at least a little airflow, although if the air is cool, and the humidity is low, then you honestly do not have to have a fan blowing on them.

I used to try to keep the area I dried in between 68-75F, and humidity from 35-40%, I would have tried to get humidity lower, but that seemed to work fine for me.

I used to have a fishing line strung in front of my window AC, I'd hang the buds in front of it, not the part blowing the air though, not the part blowing out the air though, that was not the best method because light got to the buds, and in time light can degrade THC, it worked though...
NOTE: If you do have them near an AC do not have the AC air blowing directly on them, that is not the best way to go.

As for having air circulating, it is best to have some sort of air circulation yes, but you do not need a mini tornado going on in your drying area...

In any area smell is always a concern, just how much concern can only be judged by you though.
So if smell is not that big of a worry then something as simple as them hanging in a room, with a ceiling fan going overhead can be enough air circulation in my experiences.
Just make sure the bud is hanging, and no parts of it are laying on top of something, like a dresser for instance, you want the air to be able to pass over the whole bud, and not just part of it.

PFMJ no, put the fan in the dresser blowing out and run a flexible duct to the scrubber and put the scrubber in the bag. I have used a nylon laundry bag with success, no air flow restriction.
Ahh ok, that makes sense, I will try to go that route then, it sounds stealthy & safe enough for me, thanks Gold!

Well when I was saying to just close the closet rather then turn things off I meant for typical company (friends, family). A landlord is a bit different in that he holds control over your place of residence. That's why I suggested a closet though, done right the dresser could look like it was just being stored there. Nor would I suggest moving everything else out since you'd want it to appear somewhat cluttered. Still though if it would make you feel more comfortable, go ahead and turn it off for your landlord. Typically landlords don't come by and inspect places that often, so once in a blue moon shouldn't be an issue.
Ahh ok, I will leave some stuff in there of course, but the closet is little, and I want to be able to get to the dresser without too much hassle.

I really do not expect this landlord to come by, because they do not seem like the type to come around if they know they have a good tenant, so II am not too worried, I just want to be extra cautious if they do come by.
Thanks for your input Hempy!!

HempKat

Veteran
I just canned my T5's for a 150 HPS in my veg cab. Got really hot, then I put in a fan...it's cool in their now.

HK, PFMJ! So nice to see ya around. HK... did you ever get a good female from those SDIBL x BB after all the males? PM me the answer. oooh... I don't have enough posts for PMS'. I'll wait.

I'm going to have to say I'm not sure. I say that because I had some in veg still when I discovered the males and some had to be females. I didn't want to mess trying to clone from the ones in flower. Anyway after taking all the clones I could (10) I ended up with 9 males and one female that was slow establishing root. So I decided to kill 8 of the males leaving one I thought looked best, and I let him ravish and knock up the one female which is now in week 6 of flower under fluoros. Judging by the looks of things I should get a few dozen seeds and then I'll go from there.

HempKat

Veteran
I really do not expect this landlord to come by, because they do not seem like the type to come around if they know they have a good tenant, so II am not too worried, I just want to be extra cautious if they do come by.
Thanks for your input Hempy!!

You're quite welcome my friend and good luck although I'm sure you don't need luck due to your skill. :joint:

PassionForMaryJ

Thanks Red Swan, it is nice to be around again, now if I only had some good smoke I'd be good to go!
That is in the works though.

PassionForMaryJ

You're quite welcome my friend and good luck although I'm sure you don't need luck due to your skill. :joint:

One always needs a bit of luck, especially when there is always something that can go wrong, lol
Hopefully growing is like riding a bike, because it has been around 5 months since I have grown anything...

The skill I have acquired came from good friends such as yourself Hempy, which I will always be thankful for!!!

:joint:

bill2455

Have you seen this before ?

Have you seen this before ?

Originally posted this in the strains and hybrids forum with not much response. I'm really curious and would like to find someone who has seen multiple seeds in a single calyx in the past to find out about the seeds or maybe it is a trait of a certain lineage. Any answers would be great, thanks.

I've grown some bagseed that is an indica dominant strain. No pics. The grow started indoors, got rid of the males and was left 5 females, 4 in soil and 1 hempy bucket as an experiment (hempy buckets rock). The lights got messed with a few times and everything went hermie. Then we decided to sell our house and about 4+ weeks into flower i moved them outside. It was a messed up grow and just should have cut them down and waited to move before starting another grow.

Anyway some of the seed pods are huge and contain several seeds. I've never seen this before only seen 1 seed per. Is this common ? Any idea what strain ? It was a nice smoke and was wondering if i should bother with these seeds or let them go. Thanks

HempKat

Veteran
One always needs a bit of luck, especially when there is always something that can go wrong, lol
Hopefully growing is like riding a bike, because it has been around 5 months since I have grown anything...

The skill I have acquired came from good friends such as yourself Hempy, which I will always be thankful for!!!

:joint:

Well yeah, there are always things that can go wrong but you can't go around worrying about the unknown and unexpected, plus for every thing there is a positive side in this case that would be the known and expected. Life isn't all bad or all good, it's an ever changing balance of both all we can do is try to position ourselves for the good things as best we can. Some like to call it luck or fate but I believe that ultimately we each control our destinies in the choices we make. I do believe though that freak random occurances happen, stray bullets, runaway vehicles and/or all manner of crashes in the air and on the highway, etc. Like I said though, you can't go around worrying about stuff like that all the time and you can minimize it by living in places those things are less likely to happen.

Anyway, if we accept that we control our fate to some degree, then while you may have in fact picked up skills from friends such as myself, ultimately it was you who made the choices of what peices of info served you best. That in so doing you created your own knowledge. Sort of like building your own computer, you pick the components to make it do what you want it to do.

As for remembering it, hell 5 months is just a really long vacation, you'll be fine. :joint:

HempKat

Veteran
Originally posted this in the strains and hybrids forum with not much response. I'm really curious and would like to find someone who has seen multiple seeds in a single calyx in the past to find out about the seeds or maybe it is a trait of a certain lineage. Any answers would be great, thanks.

I've grown some bagseed that is an indica dominant strain. No pics. The grow started indoors, got rid of the males and was left 5 females, 4 in soil and 1 hempy bucket as an experiment (hempy buckets rock). The lights got messed with a few times and everything went hermie. Then we decided to sell our house and about 4+ weeks into flower i moved them outside. It was a messed up grow and just should have cut them down and waited to move before starting another grow.

Anyway some of the seed pods are huge and contain several seeds. I've never seen this before only seen 1 seed per. Is this common ? Any idea what strain ? It was a nice smoke and was wondering if i should bother with these seeds or let them go. Thanks

Sorry, like you were before the plant you're describing, I've never noticed a pod containing more then one seed. I've seen clusters of pods (buds) that contain seeds and I could see where it might be hard to tell after opening it up to look but so far it's always seemed to me that each seed was sheathed in it's own pod.

Mutations do occur and it does sound like they had a less then ideal life so who knows?

Absolut

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of obtaining my med card and been researching extensively on growing. SUPER excited!!

Obviously I still have some questions so here goes.

Plan on using LSTing plants in smart pots w/ Moonshine mix indoor.

What are some good beginner strains that are not as 'popular' as AK-47 and will do well w/ my setup?

Also can I add molasses throughout feedings or will I have to tone it down?

Edit: Forgot to add, strains that are good for pain mgmt, and pest/disease resistant.

Latest posts

Latest posts