What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Will a second reveg on a plant work and can you take clones?
(Always watching the plant count)

Yes but revegging can be slow. Once you get it down though you can reveg a plant quite a few times. I remember a grower who called himself LuckyLeaf that revegged the same plant at least 6 or 7 times. Once it's solidly in veg though it should be like any other vegging plant and you should be free to take clones like you would from any other vegging plant.

HempKat

Veteran
hey hempkat.
Just got my microscope as you advised...lil bit too strong but still cool..
You know what..for real its like discovering a new something this weed in X80..
thanks.
(shitty attempt to shoot X80 with 5 years old camera :D )
picture.php

Yeah those scopes can be a bit strong and if you're like me with big clumsey fingers, hard to use. That's why I just switched to using my camera :D

picture.php

HempKat

Veteran
It seems like you're asking for too much. I'm not one of the experienced growers, hell I havent even gotten into flower yet, but I've done a TON of research. You're basically asking for how to do everything. Thats why they're telling you that you have to want it - enough that you'll spend hundreds of hours on the computer researching and learning.

Basically I will point you in the right direction - start by scouring the Micro Grow section. Then start looking at the rest of the forums big threads, the ones with 100 pages that have been open for years, or stickies, or threads that are frequently linked to. Look up PL-L flouros and LED lighting. Make sure you read up on PC fans and how ventilation works. Lightproofing. As far as soil and fertilizers the default "good" setup for beginners is the Fox Farm line - Ocean Forest soil, Grow Big/Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom ferts. Kelp, Superthrive and Molasses are all agreed upon as effective supplements. There are a million ways to make carbon scrubbers, and a million tutorial threads.
To get the ball rolling, order some seeds from seed boutique and get your fox farm ocean forest soil. In the mean time (while you are reading, studying, learning) just get a couple spiral cfl's to support your babies once the seeds arrive. By the time the seeds arrive, you germinate them, and they get above 3" tall, you will have all the knowledge you need to pimp those cabinets out for the long-term.

Your points are mostly correct but I would say that at least from my perspective "you have to want it", means more like "yeah it can be done but you're going to have to work alot harder then one should in order to make it work." Growing should be a joy and not hard work, IMHO.

Neondancepanda

Feel ya- thank you hoosier as well as HK I've been doing the research now for nigh on 5 months- read the medicinal bible thru and thru- confidence in what approach i take is a big part of this-found one of pontiac's links on a box from OG that i think we will try out, hate to be brief but I'll be back- and with more specifics. Thank you both ;)

Hempkat, you seem to be severely underestimating the capability of modern micro grows and CFL lights. In 04 I got obsessed with growing and spent 3 months studying my ass off on OG. Back then I heard very very little about micro growing and using CFL's. When I came back and found icmag, I found micro grows almost immedietly. Since my first look at growing, the advent of PL-L's and development of LED lighting has greatly improved the efficiency of micro grows. I picture 5 years from now there being marketed LED panels that are remotely ballasted, resulting in ALMOST NO HEAT emitted from the light itself. And the light is what, 1/2 and inch tall? I plan on using a PL-L / 6 spectrum LED hybrid lighting system and from what I've read, both in grow reports and research (not marketing BS), I expect to yield 1g/w.

HempKat

Veteran
Hempkat, you seem to be severely underestimating the capability of modern micro grows and CFL lights. In 04 I got obsessed with growing and spent 3 months studying my ass off on OG. Back then I heard very very little about micro growing and using CFL's. When I came back and found icmag, I found micro grows almost immedietly. Since my first look at growing, the advent of PL-L's and development of LED lighting has greatly improved the efficiency of micro grows. I picture 5 years from now there being marketed LED panels that are remotely ballasted, resulting in ALMOST NO HEAT emitted from the light itself. And the light is what, 1/2 and inch tall? I plan on using a PL-L / 6 spectrum LED hybrid lighting system and from what I've read, both in grow reports and research (not marketing BS), I expect to yield 1g/w.

I don't see where I'm underestimating microgrows at all. What I am doing is talking in terms of what's readily available today and at a reasonable price. Yes new technologies will change things but PL-L and LED lighting are not yet ready for prime time. Hell even T-5 floouros aren't really in the mainstream yet althought they're very close.

As for yield, well the PL-L's I've seen are 18W although I'm sure there are other wattages but when your watts are 18 getting 1g/w isn't really that big a deal and 18g doesn't go very far for the average grower/smoker. My only real criticism of microgrows really had nothing to do grams per watt though. I don't care what kind of lighting you use, you're not going to yield anywhere near what a 1000w HID will do in a 4' x 4' x 8' space and it's not just because of the light used. It's also because a box that size simply can't contain as much plant as a room the size I mentioned can produce. Also my point was, and this too is irregardless of what light is used, with a microgrow you're going to work harder keeping the plants contained in such a small space.

Microgrows have their place, don't get me wrong. That's why my first question was what were Neondancepanda's expectations? If he had replied with something like, "I'm not looking for a huge crop or to be able to sell, I just want to produce a small stash of herb for myself. I'm not a heavy smoker so just an ounce or two would hold me a couple of months." Had he said something like that I would have felt confident in encouraging him to go the micro route. If however he said he was looking to yield at least 1 pound per harvest minimum I wouldn't waste his time or mine talking about micro grows but rather encouraged him to go with a full grow room.

The final factor in everything I said was that from what I could tell neondancepanda has either no experience or very little. In my opinion it's not a good idea to advise a person new to growing to use a method that is more suited to an experienced or advanced grower.

spaded@420

hey hempcat im in dire need of some help ASAP. a "goodfriend" grows the strain white russian and has picked up a moldy smell in a small jar of primo buds. they are in jars for over a month by far. the rest smells right on but how can i save the cream of the crop?!?! PLEASE HELP!:1help:

Gold123

hey hempcat im in dire need of some help ASAP. a "goodfriend" grows the strain white russian and has picked up a moldy smell in a small jar of primo buds. they are in jars for over a month by far. the rest smells right on but how can i save the cream of the crop?!?! PLEASE HELP!:1help:

I recently was at a friends dispensary and saw a large quantity of bud in the trash. He said it molded in the bag so he tossed it. I asked him if I could take it home and play with it. Heres what I did and it worked.
I put it in a jar and filled it with 3% hydrogen peroxide and let it soak for a while. When most of the bubbling stopped I poured it out and did it again for another 5 minutes. Poured it all out in a strainer and shook it gently to get excess h2o2 off. I then spread it on some nylon screen and folded it over and hung it a few feet from a good sized box fan. Every few hours I gently mixed the bud and kept it drying. The next morning it was very dry. Put it in a clean jar and burped it a couple times a day to make sure it was dry.
Note the bud will be drier than normal for smooth smoking, so rehydrating with a slightly moist cotton ball (or other prefered method)a few hours to over night before smoking is in order. I do that to small batches as needed.
Result free 1/2 lb.
Oh yah, my friend doesn't throw out bud anymore.

Yes new technologies will change things but PL-L and LED lighting are not yet ready for prime time. Hell even T-5 floouros aren't really in the mainstream yet althought they're very close.

As for yield, well the PL-L's I've seen are 18W although I'm sure there are other wattages but when your watts are 18 getting 1g/w isn't really that big a deal and 18g doesn't go very far for the average grower/smoker. My only real criticism of microgrows really had nothing to do grams per watt though. I don't care what kind of lighting you use, you're not going to yield anywhere near what a 1000w HID will do in a 4' x 4' x 8' space and it's not just because of the light used. It's also because a box that size simply can't contain as much plant as a room the size I mentioned can produce. Also my point was, and this too is irregardless of what light is used, with a microgrow you're going to work harder keeping the plants contained in such a small space.

I see where you're coming from, and I do not disagree that it is much easier and more reasonable to make a grow room if you have the ability- but MOST of us do not have that ability. And personally I don't even know what I would do with an lb, because I wouldnt want my old dealer to know I was growing. Not everyone who needs marijuana for compassionate care lives in a state where they can get it legally. Micro grows are for those of us who live in small apartments, or with roomates, or in some other situation where we can't be open about growing or dont have much square footage.

But I still think you are underestimating harvest and overestimating difficulty.
PL-L's come up to 55w, the ONLY thing holding them back from being a primo lighting method is the fact that only 3 color temperatures are available at that size, 3000k, 3500, and 4100.
But look at Aeroheads grow and you will see what PL-L's can do - 38.5 grams out of a measly little PC. I know it was overlit and has a bad g/w ratio but that's because it was in a friggen PC.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2517008&postcount=308
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2535960&postcount=359
There are many more, for more reasonably sized grows, but I don't feel like collecting links.
LED lights may not be ready for primetime, but according the people actually USING them (i.e. the LED lab 2009 thread) they are ready to grow some tasty nugs and that's what's important.

Does HID produce bigger and better buds more easily? Yes. Are Microgrows inefficient or ineffective? No.

I think the main difference here isnt so much that we disagree on anything in particular, just that you don't like how strongly I support microgrows, and I dont like how strongly you discourage them :)

HempKat

Veteran

Well if bud rot has set in you can't really save the buds that the mold is in. Smoking that can be very bad for your lungs. The first thing to do is get it out of the jar and let it air out good for several hours. In the process you want to try to find the bud or buds that have actual mold on them. Once found you can:

a) Throw them away.
b) Cut of the moldy part and throw that away.
c) Do what is called a water cure.
d) Make Hash Oil out of it.

Edit:
e) Try Gold123's method. :smile:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Can fluorescent tube light fixtures be wired together in parallel the same way CFL's are wired together? Thank you and blessings!

HempKat

Veteran
I see where you're coming from, and I do not disagree that it is much easier and more reasonable to make a grow room if you have the ability- but MOST of us do not have that ability. And personally I don't even know what I would do with an lb, because I wouldnt want my old dealer to know I was growing. Not everyone who needs marijuana for compassionate care lives in a state where they can get it legally. Micro grows are for those of us who live in small apartments, or with roomates, or in some other situation where we can't be open about growing or dont have much square footage.

But I still think you are underestimating harvest and overestimating difficulty.
PL-L's come up to 55w, the ONLY thing holding them back from being a primo lighting method is the fact that only 3 color temperatures are available at that size, 3000k, 3500, and 4100.
But look at Aeroheads grow and you will see what PL-L's can do - 38.5 grams out of a measly little PC. I know it was overlit and has a bad g/w ratio but that's because it was in a friggen PC.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2517008&postcount=308
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2535960&postcount=359
There are many more, for more reasonably sized grows, but I don't feel like collecting links.
LED lights may not be ready for primetime, but according the people actually USING them (i.e. the LED lab 2009 thread) they are ready to grow some tasty nugs and that's what's important.

Does HID produce bigger and better buds more easily? Yes. Are Microgrows inefficient or ineffective? No.

I think the main difference here isnt so much that we disagree on anything in particular, just that you don't like how strongly I support microgrows, and I dont like how strongly you discourage them :)

Nope I have no problem with someone supporting Microgrows. Nor do I feel I'm discouraging Microgrows at all let alone strongly. What I am discouraging is to try them as a first grow or to try to go that route when you want a big harvest. As I was suggesting before, Microgrows have their place. I realize not everyone can make a room sized grow or have the space. My opinion of an ideal candidate for a Microgrow is a medical needs user who truely just needs a little here and there for a legit medical need (as opposed to someone claiming medical need but doesn't have a real need). As for situations with roommates or living in small apartments, well personally it's my opinion you shouldn't be growing in those situations unless you live somewhere that it's legal to do so. Even if it was legal I wouldn't do a grow where there is a roommate I can't trust completely. By the way I also live in a state where it's not legal so I don't see where that makes a difference. When I say a grow room I mean one that is completely secure.

Now as for the lights, you seem to misunderstand when I say not ready for prime time. What I mean by that is that one, they are not widely available and there are few choices on where to get them, also that they are outrageously priced due to their limited availability. You could buy T-5 setups a couple of years ago and spend more then what it cost for HIDs to buy something only sufficient for a 2'x4' area. Hell it may still be that way as far as online and buying a complete system (ballast & bulbs). Fortunately though you can now buy several different sized T-5 fixtures and bulbs at Home Depot and Lowe's for fairly reasonable prices although I still think for now T-8's are a better choice. LED's hold great promise but they are insanely priced. I just priced a 240W kit at one place and it's over $2000, nuff said.

http://www.ledgrowlights.com/sales_retail.htm#KT12-100SB

HempKat

Veteran
Can fluorescent tube light fixtures be wired together in parallel the same way CFL's are wired together? Thank you and blessings!

I imagine they can but I'm not an electrician and don't know how. I use T-8 tube fluoros for my veg/clone area. I use 2-4 of them (depending on size of plants) arranged in a parallel configuration but electrically each fixture has it's own plug and I just plug them all together on one surge protector.

PassionForMaryJ

Yes they can be wired in parallel.

http://www.berkeleypoint.com/learning/parallel_circuit.html

In a parallel circuit, each component has its own direct path to both the negative (-) and positive (+) sides of the circuit. A simple schematic of a parallel circuit is shown below. In actually wiring the LED lights from Berkeley Point, as long as the red leads from the lights are connected to a wire that goes directly to the positive (+) side of the power supply and the black leads are connected to a wire that goes directly to the negative (-) side, you have wired the lights in parallel. If you follow the wire path back from a light to the power supply, it can "T" to other lights but should not go through any other lights. If your feed wire is similar to the Belden wires provided by Berkeley Point in so far as they consist of a red and black wire. In a parallel circuit, you will never have a black wire connected to a red wire (contrasted with example of series circuit shown above). Further, as long as you can follow a path from the red wire of a light back to the positive (+) side of the power supply through red wires and the same through black to the negative (-) side, you have wired in parallel. A group of many lights may have all their red leads connected together with one red (+) feed wire and all their black leads connected together with one black (-) feed wire.

Parallel Circuit: "

Just do not wire up more than your circuit, or wire is rated for, which would be tough to do unless you have a shit load of fluro tubes wired up..

Another good short read that may help you.

http://electrical.about.com/od/typesofelectricalwire/a/seriesparallel.htm

"Parallel Circuit

Let's say that you are installing six lights in a building. A parallel circuit starts with a hot wire and a neutral wire which feeds the first light. The remaining five lights are connected white to white (neutral) and black to black (hot) all the way to and including the last light. Unlike the series circuit, you can remove a bulb in any of the lights and it will not cause the other lights to go out. A great example is a hallway in your house where two or more lights come on with the same switch. When one burns out, the other remains lit."

Always be careful when working with electricity!!

PassionForMaryJ

:/ I see my old grow log is still up, makes me happy, and yet sad because I am not growing now..

I really have to get me a lil mini grow going and get back into growing my precious ladies!!!

PassionForMaryJ

Well, seeing as I am a semi-old fart I will make this post here.

This semi-old fart is really considering growing again soon, I went to my old place and salvaged all my old grow equipment that I had, so I will not have as much stuff to buy once I am able to afford the other things I need to get started.

I was able to get my old light sockets that I wired up in parallel for CFL's, as well as the 150W HPS that I modded like 6 years ago from an old home depot security light, funny the bulb still works, even though I sued it for 6 years, it is due a replacing though.

I also found my rooting powder, even though I never really used it, I used it for a few months, then discovered a bubble cloner & never looked back.

I also got a few of my small pots for transplanting established clones into...
Got a couple extension cords & some romex wiring, so here before too long hopefully I can once again marvel at the sexy little ladies doing their thing.

I will have to do a mini grow do to space, and I will also have to have it stealthy...
I have a post at opengrow that has the ideas I am going over in it, and I will copy the posts & post them here when I can so I can get more advice, right now the site is down though..

Stay high and stay safe everybody!!!

PassionForMaryJ

You are very welcome Jellyfish.
If you have any trouble with that let me know & I'll try to get pics when I rewire my CFL's, I already have them ran in parallel, but my wires are now too long for my current needs...

Happy growing!!!
PFMJ