Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Neondancepanda

Build design ?

Build design ?

I have a chest with some hopefully workable dimensions-
Width 32''
Length 16''
Height 12''

what would be the most useful setup for this box?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I have a chest with some hopefully workable dimensions-
Width 32''
Length 16''
Height 12''

what would be the most useful setup for this box?

12" is really too short for plants by the time you factor in pot size, lights and the necessary distance between light and plants. Like gold123 said about all you could do is stand it on one end so that the width is 16" the length is 12" and the height is 32" then you might have enough room to grow 1 or 2 plants under CFLs.

Neondancepanda

scratch the above, this is whats up

scratch the above, this is whats up

Okay so scratch the small chest- only possible option would of been a small clone chamber perhaps.. since then we have decided to move into a dual cabinet space here are our specs to work with- pics inclosed as well,,

the large cabinet runs a height of 31'' a width of 30'' and a depth of 23'' shaving the top shelf would give total height of 37 ''.

the middle sized cabs specs run in at 26'' width 30'' height and 19'' depth

figure to use the middle size for a veg and clone op. with the large cabinet running the flower.

asking for complete specs and ideas on a setup looking to keep it in soil as this is a first time grow.

questions about lights' hps low watts to cfls.

ideas on harvest timing as well with what the staggered plant ratio would be!

welcome one and all break out your wisdom and all informacionay is mucho apprecionado.

the cabs are inside of a spare room- wondering as well on centalation and forgive the dust ;) just picked them both up.

Neondancepanda

DSCF4001.jpg

DSCF4004.jpg

DSCF4004.jpg

DSCF4009.jpg

DSCF4009.jpg

HempKat

Veteran
Okay so scratch the small chest- only possible option would of been a small clone chamber perhaps.. since then we have decided to move into a dual cabinet space here are our specs to work with- pics inclosed as well,,

the large cabinet runs a height of 31'' a width of 30'' and a depth of 23'' shaving the top shelf would give total height of 37 ''.

the middle sized cabs specs run in at 26'' width 30'' height and 19'' depth

figure to use the middle size for a veg and clone op. with the large cabinet running the flower.

asking for complete specs and ideas on a setup looking to keep it in soil as this is a first time grow.

questions about lights' hps low watts to cfls.

ideas on harvest timing as well with what the staggered plant ratio would be!

welcome one and all break out your wisdom and all informacionay is mucho apprecionado.

the cabs are inside of a spare room- wondering as well on centalation and forgive the dust ;) just picked them both up.

Well in something the size of those cabinets I wouldn't recommend anything hotter then a 250W HID or use CFL's. Really before we go too far with this what are your expectations? I mean if you're like the average stoner you'll likely smoke up most if not all of what you have harvested between harvests. You also mention staggard harvest which suggests you're thinking perpetual (Something always ready to harvest within a couple of weeks). All of which is very doable but you're talking alot of work and all the paranoia, risk, expense, etc. that goes with growing and not all that much really to show for it other then being free from buying it off the street. That's just growing for yourself. Now if you had hoped to have enough to sell on the side you might as well give up those boxes and start thinking rooms or at the least grow tents as gold123 suggests.

I myself have no experience with cabinet grows. Ever since I tried growing indoors I've always had a room to work with. From what I've seen others talk about though I say cabinets and other micro grows are best avoided when possible unless you have the type of personality that is very disciplined and wouldn't mind having to always work with your grow 365 days a year, year after year. I think most of us though would prefer a break for a few months out of the year. Having say, an 8' tall, 8' long and 5' wide room allows you to grow about a dozen decent sized plants and get a nice big yield. A yield that's enough to let you take a few months off and then come back and do another crop and harvest it before you run out of what you had from the previous crop. Plus I'm talking fairly heavy smoking like 4-5 cigarette sized joints every day. Still leaving enough to sell off a little if you're into that sort of thing.

If that's what you prefer then growing in cabinets is going to be tough. Of course sometimes life limits our choices and ties our hands and so maybe it's the cabinets or nothing. In which case you do what you got to do and you accept things won't be as nice as you might like them to be.

Being that's a spare room I don't suppose you could just block off the windows, put in good ventilation and a good carbon scrubber and call that your grow room? :D

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I may...
You can effectively grow weed in that cab. But not much, and not easily.
All you need is a little bit more room to make things much easier and comfortable. Find another cabinet of some sort. They are everywhere...seriously. Yardales are BIG this time of year. You can find one this weekend for less than $20 I bet money on it.
But you have to want it.

If you do that box, you will soon know that you need/want to upgrade. You will be ahead of the game if you transition now to the larger box before you even get this one going.
Folks effectively grow rope in a computer case, so anything is possible. But like has been stated, your expectations will play a big role. If you want to simply be successful and have no desire for fancy pictures or endless joints, then by all means get a small bank of CFLs (a 150-250 hid would work, but needs to be set up right) and grow away. But if you are expecting to keep yourself in weed, go bigger.

Neondancepanda

right so if the room itself is off limits then back to the previous question then? how would i effectively utilize these cabinets can anyone suggest an actual setup for them- not the average stoner here- looking for LST training or to make something unique here- want it to be the cabinets- and i know it is possible but need help with diagrams or visual on how to make it all work ;)

Neondancepanda

have to want it, indeed... well i guess ill have to want it and look for specifics elsewhere- maybe hoosier can suggest methods for keeping low profile plants- comparisons on cfl production? So can i also say that while i've been reading about cannabis and smoking for a few years i have ZERO true experience with growing anything. Thus why i am reaching out to old farts and more experienced souls in hope that they can be constructive and help me as well with construction ;) if you simply want to re-iterate that i have to want it...well that simply doesn't help.

Asil

How Long?

How Long?

I thought I would ask you old farts a question. This is my first grow and everything went great I am 64 days into 12/12 of a bagseed grow. All my trichomes are clear, how long does it take for them to start turning cloudy? Should I be looking at them daily? Is this something that can happen over night or does it take a few days? Thanks for any light you can shed.

have to want it, indeed... well i guess ill have to want it and look for specifics elsewhere- maybe hoosier can suggest methods for keeping low profile plants- comparisons on cfl production? So can i also say that while i've been reading about cannabis and smoking for a few years i have ZERO true experience with growing anything. Thus why i am reaching out to old farts and more experienced souls in hope that they can be constructive and help me as well with construction ;) if you simply want to re-iterate that i have to want it...well that simply doesn't help.

It seems like you're asking for too much. I'm not one of the experienced growers, hell I havent even gotten into flower yet, but I've done a TON of research. You're basically asking for how to do everything. Thats why they're telling you that you have to want it - enough that you'll spend hundreds of hours on the computer researching and learning.

Basically I will point you in the right direction - start by scouring the Micro Grow section. Then start looking at the rest of the forums big threads, the ones with 100 pages that have been open for years, or stickies, or threads that are frequently linked to. Look up PL-L flouros and LED lighting. Make sure you read up on PC fans and how ventilation works. Lightproofing. As far as soil and fertilizers the default "good" setup for beginners is the Fox Farm line - Ocean Forest soil, Grow Big/Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom ferts. Kelp, Superthrive and Molasses are all agreed upon as effective supplements. There are a million ways to make carbon scrubbers, and a million tutorial threads.
To get the ball rolling, order some seeds from seed boutique and get your fox farm ocean forest soil. In the mean time (while you are reading, studying, learning) just get a couple spiral cfl's to support your babies once the seeds arrive. By the time the seeds arrive, you germinate them, and they get above 3" tall, you will have all the knowledge you need to pimp those cabinets out for the long-term.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spot on, Archi!

See, the thing is...if we truly want something, and it is right in front of us...we never wait for others to set it in our laps.

This place is a cornucopia of information. Each and every issue you want to address has been discussed over and again here. Do a search, find the threads that interest you, read through them...and be very discerning of what you chose to take as fact, and what is fiction. The photo gallery and other things are fairly good gauges as to if a poster is straight up or phucked up.
If you want it, you will find it. If you want to be spoon fed, IMO things that are less than good could easily be on the horizon. See, this isn't just a hit or miss sport...we really need to have our shit together proper, unless we enjoy the taste and texture of fried bologna and stewed tomatoes on a regular and frequent basis. Because go into this half assed, and taking advise from anyone that will spoonfeed you a grow, may well lead to not only a disappointing grow, but it may also land your ass in jail.

Now, if you find something questionable in your studies, I am certain Hempkat or other credible growers will chime in and help you with any specific thing you ask.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Asil,
The color of trics is due to the ripening of the plant. And each plant ripens at a different rate. Sativa tends to take far longer to ripen than indica. Some haze sativa will continue to grow and never see the ripened stage, or at least that is how it appears in a domesticated grow.

If your trics are still clear at 60 some days, then I suspect you have a strain that leans heavy towards the sativa side of things. Some will finish very quickly from where you are now, others may still need time. I would watch them on a daily basis at this point.

HempKat

Veteran
right so if the room itself is off limits then back to the previous question then? how would i effectively utilize these cabinets can anyone suggest an actual setup for them- not the average stoner here- looking for LST training or to make something unique here- want it to be the cabinets- and i know it is possible but need help with diagrams or visual on how to make it all work ;)

Well one nice thing about those cabinets is they're raised off the floor and at least that one has holes cut in the bottom and the lower back side. That should make good intake vents. The drawer should come out and the front of it mounted in place for appearences from the outside. Lights should go up top but mounted to something such that their height can be adjusted.

HempKat

Veteran

Well the problem is that few old farts grow in such small spaces. Mainly because small confined spaces also confine heat and pretty much force you to use the weakest grow lights possible to limit heat. This translates into a very small yield for 4-6 months of effort (including veg time). There are hard core micro growers and at some canna sites they even have forums dedicated to the art of micro grows there you migh find comparrissons on CFL production but the bottomline is CFL's are not going to give you a great yield even at their best.

Also you don't seem to be giving much thought to the idea that you're trying to take a plant that by nature, under optimal condition usually wants to grow in excess of 9 feet and confine it to a space less then 1/3rd that size. It's doable but very tedious and involved.

In an effort to explore this as best as possible can you elaborate as to why it has to be in these boxes? Why the room is off limits even though it's an extra room and is the room the boxes will be in? Perhaps there are ways around what you see as restrictions?

I realize you feel like you're getting the run around because you want to grow in these boxes and yet nobody is giving you clear step by step instructions on how to do so. I can't speak for the others but I myself can't give you that because I have never done that. I would rather build a secret room in the corner of my basement (make it easy to take apart if living in a rental property) before I tried to grow in a box. If for some reason I couldn't and absolutely had no choice but a box then I would at least go with a much bigger box like an armoire (wardrobe).

piosh

hey hempkat.
Just got my microscope as you advised...lil bit too strong but still cool..
You know what..for real its like discovering a new something this weed in X80..
thanks.
(shitty attempt to shoot X80 with 5 years old camera :D )
picture.php

HempKat

Veteran
I thought I would ask you old farts a question. This is my first grow and everything went great I am 64 days into 12/12 of a bagseed grow. All my trichomes are clear, how long does it take for them to start turning cloudy? Should I be looking at them daily? Is this something that can happen over night or does it take a few days? Thanks for any light you can shed.

Sounds like you have a sativa or a sativa dominent plant there. Sativa's generally take at least 90 days to ripen but they can go even longer. It'll take some time for the full rippening to set in I'd say check once a week and then when they get close to being mostly cloudy start checking every couple of days.