What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VIPARSPECTRA or MarsHydro

Koondense

Veteran
2x2 tents need 100w for veg and 200w for flowering, anything more will probably be too much, if we're talking about leds. Cmh 315w is perfect for 80x80cm(2,5x2,5 ft) or 90x90cm(3x3 ft).
I would go with a qb dimmable kit of 200w for a 2x2, or 4x 50w cobs like cxb or vero.

Cheers

badasshydro

Hey i was wondering summer is coming and I need to continue to produce, so tent I have is 120x120x240 what led light would you guys suggest I buy? Not having much money ... Or should I go with Cmh lights but heat is issue now already I don't know how hot Cmh run? Advice please

I'm looking into a Viparspectra 900 for my DR60 tent (2' x 2'). Anyone using one of those in that size space? Seems to me that the 600 would be borderline too small, and the 900 might be borderline too big.

Also, is there any real reason to have the switch that turns on only the white LEDs? Just curious.

I use 2 Viparspectra 450 in a 2x4 ft cabinet grow. I like the versatility of the flower/veg switches 200 watts each at the plug. I get 18-20 inches of penetration with 8-10 inches above the canopy.
These replaced a 600HPS and produce better bud.
You could fit 2 in your 2x2 with enough air exchange.:biggrin:

I'm looking into a Viparspectra 900 for my DR60 tent (2' x 2'). Anyone using one of those in that size space? Seems to me that the 600 would be borderline too small, and the 900 might be borderline too big.

Also, is there any real reason to have the switch that turns on only the white LEDs? Just curious.

2nd The White Spectrum (Blue) Keeps vegging plants short and tight internode distance, I also use the blue during the last week of flower.

Ruby_Abu

Hey i was wondering summer is coming and I need to continue to produce, so tent I have is 120x120x240 what led light would you guys suggest I buy? Not having much money ... Or should I go with Cmh lights but heat is issue now already I don't know how hot Cmh run? Advice please

Right now, i am using Mars reflector 192 for veg. So far so good. The true power is around 390W. I bought it on Mars website with 295USD.
I heard a lot of people talked about the white color led. Maybe you can check this kind of light.:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Okay, I had asked previously about using the 900 in my DR60, but my California Lightworks fixture just crapped out on me yesterday, so I had to replace it immediately. Not having enough money in the budget to get the 900, I went with the 600 instead. It'll be delivered on Tuesday.

This means I can test how well the 600 works in a 2x2 space, and if it succeeds, I might end up replacing the HID in my 3x3 tent with a 900! I'm excited, mostly because my preferred style of growing is using LST, SCROG, or minimally-vegged SOG, and this is where LEDs produce! So hopefully I can eliminate ballasts and high powered fans from my garden soon. Fingers crossed.

Del_9_THC

vipar300 is only 130w, not 300.
so 390 total, not 900.. 24w per Sq ft

Guys, you have to stop comparing different lighting types by using watts.

Comparing hps (or mh) lights by watts is a fair comparison because they operate in the same way and affect the plants in the same way. (Remember apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Comparing two different 600 watt hps ballast bulb combos is a valid comparison on watts).

Comparing hps (or mh) lights to LED or to CFL or whatever, by wattage is completely bogus!!!
As an analogy, imagine comparing an electric car to a gasoline or diesel car by the electricity it uses....that would be meaningless.

kamyo

Veteran
I'm running a Viparspectra 300 "reflector series" in a 2.5x1.5 cab. So far, so good, I suppose. I do think I'll upgrade soon when I can afford it, but I don't think it's as bad as I've read on IC (not just this thread, but in general). For the price, it's a good buy, especially if heat is a concern. I'd almost certainly run HID if I had more cooling in my room with the cab, but with the LED and good air exchange, it's doing me well.

If you're on a budget and need something quick from Amazon, I see no reason not to buy it. But an upgrade is probably a good idea down the road.

de145

Guys, you have to stop comparing different lighting types by using watts.

Comparing hps (or mh) lights by watts is a fair comparison because they operate in the same way and affect the plants in the same way. (Remember apples to apples, not apples to oranges. Comparing two different 600 watt hps ballast bulb combos is a valid comparison on watts).

Comparing hps (or mh) lights to LED or to CFL or whatever, by wattage is completely bogus!!!
As an analogy, imagine comparing an electric car to a gasoline or diesel car by the electricity it uses....that would be meaningless.

I hear you but you have to also consider that there are tons of posts here that *are* comparing yields by LED wattage draw so it's completely legit for that purpose. I.E. a gram per watt draw of LED is achievable and even better for some growers so it does give a point of comparison.

kamyo

Veteran
I hear you but you have to also consider that there are tons of posts here that *are* comparing yields by LED wattage draw so it's completely legit for that purpose. I.E. a gram per watt draw of LED is achievable and even better for some growers so it does give a point of comparison.

Good point. Strictly from a power consumption point of view, it does make sense to compare. Yes, the technologies are different between led/hid/cfl, but if you're looking for an efficient way to measure yield vs power bill, it's a valid comparison.

angelgoob

you got heat also to worry about possibly!

It's grams per watt per month. Which means total energy, to get something. Watts are amps by volts.

MLD

Bestva 1500w

Bestva 1500w

I'm yet to find any completed grow journals for Bestva lights. I have a Bestva 1500w DC Series ordered and on the way.

I will be doing my first grow in a Marshydro 4x4 tent with 4 plants, and one plant outside to test. The main reason I chose LED is because I live in a tropical climate and am concerned about heat.

I will definitely keep a grow journal. If all goes well I hope to upgrade to a Marshydro TS to maximize the yield for my 4x4.

Shipping cost is a big thing for me as I am in Asia. The Chinese companies charge me nothing or very little.

I will also include my outdoor plant in the journal. I'd try more than one outside, but I will need to move it inside 1 or 2 times per month for a day when the guys come to cut and clean my yard.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I forgot all about this thread, but I've been loving my VS. I've only had one harvest so far, to test the waters, but the result exceeded my expectations. I'm currently doing a seed run under that light at the moment, so it's not about yield this time, but that first go was. This ended up being 204 grams of top shelf pure sativa Golden Tiger flowers, from only a 2' x 2' space:

HyyZDKU.jpg

FRANKENBUDS

I forgot all about this thread, but I've been loving my VS. I've only had one harvest so far, to test the waters, but the result exceeded my expectations. I'm currently doing a seed run under that light at the moment, so it's not about yield this time, but that first go was. This ended up being 204 grams of top shelf pure sativa Golden Tiger flowers, from only a 2' x 2' space:

View Image

WOOOOOOOWWWWW....... i bet that sativa took awhile to flower. Looks amazing!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i didn't like the 300w vipar's at all... thought they sucked n gave em away - just bought a 300w marshydro to test out for side lighting - should get it in a few days...

Latest posts

Latest posts