What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Smoking Devices and Accessories

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

Attachments

• chamber pipex.jpg
    chamber pipex.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 33

gobbler3447

Yep, way back when, I would pack roaches in the chamber of my homemade pipe, smoking them in the same pipe with all the resins sure was some kick ass shit...Now I carve my own wooden pipes, black walnut, apple, peach, and blue berry and wild huckleberry have made some of the best pipes, however a teak pipe I picked up in Jamacia, was and will be my pattern for future pipes.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Yep, way back when, I would pack roaches in the chamber of my homemade pipe, smoking them in the same pipe with all the resins sure was some kick ass shit...Now I carve my own wooden pipes, black walnut, apple, peach, and blue berry and wild huckleberry have made some of the best pipes, however a teak pipe I picked up in Jamacia, was and will be my pattern for future pipes.

Any pics of your pieces? Sounds very interesting.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I knew a man in the hills of Jamaica in '72 who ALWAYS carried around his wooden chillum pipe, which was carved from lignum vitae.. The local name for the wood was "ironwood".. That old rhastaman ALWAYS had that pipe full.. i would bet he smoked AT LEAST 6 or 7 oz. of ganja every day....and he was really a trip to talk to...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
steam pipe

steam pipe

Does 1981 classify as vintage?
On my 3rd trip to jamaica I spent 3 weeks in the foothills of the Blue Mountains.
I visited a rastaman and his wife for part of this time. They were friends of a friend..Winston turned me onto the steampipe. My buddy had shown me the "steamer" Winston had made for him 2 years earlier..It's an old school version of what you call a "Vape".
Push a nice fresh bud to the bottom of the bowl.. then you put coals made from coconut shells into the tin pan. As you draw thru the stem you pull the heat of the coals thru the bud and thru the water in the pipe.. You get a steam hit and the bud never burns, it just gets all dried out and turns brown and crumbly like an old leaf in the woods.

Attachments

• steam pipexx.jpg
    steam pipexx.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 35

cologirly

On my 3rd trip to jamaica I spent 3 weeks in the foothills of the Blue Mountains.
I visited a rastaman and his wife for part of this time. They were friends of a friend..Winston turned me onto the steampipe. My buddy had shown me the "steamer" Winston had made for him 2 years earlier..It's an old school version of what you call a "Vape".
Push a nice fresh bud to the bottom of the bowl.. then you put coals made from coconut shells into the tin pan. As you draw thru the stem you pull the heat of the coals thru the bud and thru the water in the pipe.. You get a steam hit and the bud never burns, it just gets all dried out and turns brown and crumbly like an old leaf in the woods.
I had one of those steamers for almost 30 years. Several of us bought them from buddy that knew a rasta named Winston as well. Sadly, mine was stolen by my ex-husband long before this state legalized weed. I have been trying to find another one for years. It was a bit of work getting the coals ready, and took some practice to keep the pan on the cutchie, but I prefer this steampipe over any modern vap. I am surprised I never could find one again.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ive got an old rolling machine Ive had since the mid seventies.
picture.php

To use it you open it up, place your weed in the fold of the canvas wrapper inside with a paper behind it.
picture.php

Then you push the top closed and a nicely made perfect joint pops out the top.
picture.php

Now I have to smoke this Ultra Sonja joint...

folks in the tobacco forums describe somewhat similiar smoke process - ie they hold that when you draw on a cigarette, the coal is heating and releasing the flavors, vapors, nicotene from the tobacco just behind the coal on the downstream side - heating the moisture still in the tobacco creates the steam that carries those elements out and into the airstream. What you get from the coal portion is tar, arsen and other products of the combustion process. I agree with this theory because I suspect that the lack of moisture in dry tobacco or mj, causes it to taste harsher, to an extent, cause you're not getting as much of the flavors, and more of the products of the combustion process. Yeah, the moisture also helps to cool the smoke, but that's another factor contributing to harshness, but the lack of flavor(s) i feel is the stronger element

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I had a blue power hitter with a sticker of Oatwheelie was it. His motto was Onward thru the Fog! I Lost it in the Great Fire of 1977.

dddaver

Veteran
Empty toilet paper rolls with a hole torn in it for the aluminum foil with pin holes for a bowl. Palm over end then releasing after lit to carb. That was not too healthy but fun. But who cares about health when your just 17, young, dumb, and full of cum?

The oldest piece of glass I have:
picture.php

A joint tube I picked up in San Francisco somewhere between '79-'81

picture.php

My remaining old gear from the late 70's and early '80's

Ga farmer

^ah damn a tokin stone. Haven't seen one of those in years! I had one with a cool ass Merlin on it. Old friend who was a tattoo artist wanted to use it for a tattoo on another friend and "lost" it!

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey buddy, would you ever be interested in selling the power hitter? Wanna make a deal?

hey bro,
several people have offered to buy it... and IMO, my '77 hitter is pretty close to being priceless. I'd rather break my mobius matrix bubbler than lose this thing :D

I have never seen another authentic one, just cheap knock off/re-makes, everyone (both young and old) who sees/smokes this thing shits bricks.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
That's very nice, how do I get one?

Thanks..I've had it 45 years now and still use it regularly..
I have NO idea how many pounds have been toked thru that tiny bowl...
I tied the leather "monkey's fist" around it long ago, because the thing would get too hot to hold it when I smoked it with my friends in the early 70's....
They used to sell them at most of the old "head shops" in the cities on the east coast in the late 60's...probably west coast too.. They called it a "chamber pipe"...
I haven't seen anyone with one in many, many years...

Latest posts

Latest posts