What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
Nothing like smoking under the stars...

320px-correggio_028c.jpg

‘Jupiter and Io’ by Antonio De Correggio, painted in 1532-33

billycw

Veteran
1ba3239f0310cfa2e5b67a8a8f836166.jpg

Portrait of a reclining woman with hookah and Persian mirror, Iran, 1901 photo by Antoin Sevruguin

T

Truegai

I love all these old photos! I've always been really fascinated and/or creeped out by old photography, especially pre-1920. Love the duel posts as well. It seems like you and i share a similar esthetic. I look forward to your future posts. Thanks again.

billycw

Veteran
Welcome aboard Truegai, love old photo's. The old ones seem to capture so much more soul to them then modern types, catching the spirit of the subject and the photographer. Especially love the Daguerreotypes as they seem like such an amazing mix of photography mixed with an underlining painting aspect.

Nice one MicroRoy, if only the push was still to homestead and be self sufficient... Thanks for sharing.

378e22e69d8b509bbb636cfb96bca673.jpg

portrait of a gentleman with unkempt hair and a contorted face pre1910

billycw

Veteran
"Someday, my hybrids will be used to crossbred doorknobs and blueberries. Imagine eating your doorknob, you'd never need a lock."
-Gregor Mendel

1200px-Mendel_with_other_monks._Wellcome_L0000527.jpg

The Father of Genetics

We throw around terms like "recessive" and "dominate" all the time. Pages upon pages to sift through, reading on all the hybrids the genes of our wonderful cannabis can create. We have Friar Gregor Mendel to thank for much of our understanding...

When the church discouraged animal sex in his studies, Mendel switched his studies on heredity from mice to the Pea plant. At the time it was thought that breeding parents would produce blended progeny, or a 50/50 mix of the 2 parents. He proved otherwise with his "elements" under Mendel's Laws of Inheritance...

Here is an easy quick explanation of his theory.
ee67edcb94074826df1d7a06a1bd632e.jpg

"One thing my Pea plants taught me: always do science with things you can make into soup." - Gregor Mendel

So you can thank Mendel for the countless arguments about pheno hunting, hybrids, genes... and a whole slew of other topics we passionately talk about.

Most of Mendel's work came in a 7 year period where he ended up making 287 crosses between 70 different purebred pea plants. Approximately 28,000 pea plants were used! This does not take into account the other species of plants he experimented on! Mendel put in work, all in his little garden behind the St Thomas's Monastery in Brno.

Note of interest... Mendel's office was the window right above the arched walkway so he could keep a close eye on his garden.
10942.jpg

Mendel's garden behind St Thomas's Monastery in Brno in 1920's

"Am I the father of genetics? All I know is that before me, a lot of people accidentally crossbred with tomatoes. It made for red, squishy babies." -Gregor Mendel

Mendel_Monument_Villanova.jpg

1998 bronze sculpture at Villanova University by James Peniston.

"This is the real genetics: a shy balding boy falls in love with a blonde, she breaks his heart, and he becomes a monk who studies pea plants" -Gregor Mendel

Gregor-Mendel-examines-peas.jpg

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
San Francisco Call, newspaper
February 27, 1912
in the section: Answers to Queries

To answer the age old question:biggrin:

Reminds me of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", west coast dreaming version. I understand you Mary Frances...:laughing:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - "Beauty Is Truth"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkaKtlV-PUI

[YOUTUBEIF]xkaKtlV-PUI[/YOUTUBEIF]

San Francisco Call, February 27, 1912
San_Francisco_Call_Volume_111_Number_89_27_Fe.jpg

T

Truegai

You should start a blog because this is already my favorite new blog. I know other folks would enjoy it as well. Just sayin.

billycw

Veteran
To be totally honest Truegai, I'm not 100% on what a blog is or where one blogs lol Is it a safe type site or is it like a social media type thing?

At the end of the day, I'm a cannabis gardener, have been most of my life, which makes me a criminal for my med's. Many of the social network type of sites still scare me in that aspect:biggrin: Thank you for the encouragement, lots to come:tiphat:

Space Cake in my garden
picture.php

Afkan Moonshine
picture.php

T

Truegai

Love the Mendel post. Great quotes. I find the group friar shot fascinating as well. It looks rather like a snapshot, but photos at the time took, what, 15 minutes to take? (Btw, that's why no one smiles in old pics - it's hard to hold an unwavering smile that long. In fact, photographers of the time would have their subjects say the word "prunes" to relax the muscles of the face, as opposed to our current "cheese" which engages those smile muscles.) So what that means is that every friar in that shot was posed. Did each friar choose his own pose, or did the photographer? If it was each friars choice, then what the hell is Mendel looking at, and what kind of expression is he wearing? The idea of any of these guys holding those expressions and poses for 15 minutes is pretty funny.

billycw

Veteran
Physical Culture, magazine
Feb, 1937
Titled: MARIJUANA: SEX-CRAZING DRUG MENACE!

"IN a Connecticut city, officers of a morality squad recently found girls of tender years appearing in scanty garb before an audience of men. The odor of marijuana was strong in the building, and several of the members of this unsavory audience were found to be “under the influence.” No one will regret that, without exception, these particular addicts will have several years in prison to recover from their bad habits, and build up a new set of moral ideas."

med_cover.jpg

xlg_sex_drug_craze_0.jpg

xlg_sex_drug_craze_1.jpg

xlg_sex_drug_craze_2.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Continued...

Physical Culture, magazine
Feb, 1937
Titled: MARIJUANA: SEX-CRAZING DRUG MENACE!

xlg_sex_drug_craze_3.jpg

xlg_sex_drug_craze_4.jpg

billycw

Veteran
4a001d61d7032742fd44f96af13d4214.jpg

Lawrence Welk deals with Champagne Ladies who misbehave, as Jayne Walton found out.

That moment when a ultra winged find out they are just that out of touch. Although I do agree with Mr. Welk, in some circles it is a modern day spiritual only these circles try to hold the hot air in...:laughing:

One Toke Over The Line - Lawrence Welk show 1971
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8tdmaEhMHE
[YOUTUBEIF]t8tdmaEhMHE[/YOUTUBEIF]

Brewer & Shipley - One Toke Over The Line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVxA1MkEkyo
[YOUTUBEIF]gVxA1MkEkyo[/YOUTUBEIF]

billycw

Veteran
315006fdc41a2e6500b05500ff0a286e.jpg

Little girl dancing - Woodstock 1969

Ode 
By Arthur O'Shaughnessy
c. 1874

We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

With wonderful deathless ditties
We build up the world’s great cities.
And out of a fabulous story
We fashion an empire’s glory:
One man with a dream, at pleasure,
Shall go forth and conquer a crown;
And three with a new song’s measure
Can trample an empire down.

We, in the ages lying
In the buried past of the earth,
Built Nineveh with our sighing,
And Babel itself with our mirth;
And o’erthrew them with prophesying
To the old of the new world’s worth;
For each age is a dream that is dying,
Or one that is coming to birth.

tumblr_lz1eicZpw71r1qrlfo1_500.jpg

billycw

Veteran
Welcome aboard PH, I often find my thoughts a bit different then "normal" which usually leads to fun things:laughing:

billycw

Veteran
Whats Normal Billy:biggrin:

I only have a grasp on the abnormal. Like in Gregor Mendel's case, standing in a group of weird scientists all with crazy Victorian swagger and yet somehow manage to stick out:laughing:

Love the ad have a couple interesting articles coming on that topic, thanks for sharing:biggrin:

16171_mendellondon.jpg

Gregor Mendel with group from Vienna before the Grand Hotel in Paris en route to London, 1862

Latest posts

Latest posts