What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

MicroRoy

picture.php
picture.php

I always like to talk with the old time farmers. They all say we were poor but we didn't know it.

billycw

Veteran
Loving the finds everyone! Al Botross that article is stellar!

Hermanthegerman, I was searching everywhere for pictures of this event, "The Centennial International Exhibition of 1876" in Philadelphia, which was the first official worlds fair in America. The event was historic for us because one of the most popular booths (pictured by Hermanthegerman photo's above) was Hashish's introduction as a smokable product to the general Population and the U.S as a whole. A instant hit... Amazing find!

billycw

Veteran
“Imagine if the government chased sick people with diabetes, put a tax on insulin and drove it into the black market, told doctors they couldn’t treat them, then sent them to jail. If we did that, everyone would know we were crazy. Yet we do practically the same thing every day in the week to sick people hooked on drugs.” - Billie Holiday

Billie Holiday died in 1959 at the Metropolitan Hospital in New York, handcuffed to her hospital bed with 2 armed police guards outside of her room keeping friends and family away while going through opium withdraws at 44 years old...

billie_holiday_commission_by_10baron10-d41t1u0.jpg

Pursued by Henry Anslinger for over 20 years, she was a victim of the same inhumane laws which plague our society to this day...

Billie Holiday-Strange fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web007rzSOI
[YOUTUBEIF]Web007rzSOI[/YOUTUBEIF]

After Billie Holiday recorded Strange Fruit in 1939, Henry Anslinger took a personal interest in Billie and waged a personal war against her hunting her to put her in jail for more then 20 years.

Anslinger assigned a undercover officer named Jimmy Fletcher who's main objective was to track her every movement and to get a conviction of Billie. He failed at this goal and was quoted as saying about Billie “She was the type who would make anyone sympathetic because she was the loving type.”

Not satisfied Anslinger struck a deal with Billie Holidays piece of shit ex husband to set her up using different agents and got his arrest.

The Telgraph Herald, January 23, 1949
5849683019_d85c59d2fc_o.jpg

5849683421_eb22975351_o.jpg

5850236470_c467e7b531_o.jpg

Billie Holiday - God Bless The Child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc4JvGfRLpA&nohtml5=False
[YOUTUBEIF]Wc4JvGfRLpA&nohtml5=False[/YOUTUBEIF]

Billie Holiday was sent to prison for 1 year to go cold turkey on a opium dependency in a cold hard cell...

“It’s tough enough coming off when you’ve got somebody who loves you and trusts you and believes in you,” she wrote. “I didn’t have anybody.” Actually, she said, that’s not quite right. She had Anslinger’s agents, “betting their time, their shoe leather, and their money that they would get me. Nobody can live like that.”- Billie Holiday

Coming out of jail as a now marked "criminal", she could no longer perform anywhere alcohol was served... The years passed but the attention from law enforcement and Anslinger never did...

Sick and dying she checked herself into the hospital in New York. Police hearing of this event made a big show to enforce a months earlier charge for possession, placing her under arrest and handcuffing Billie to her hospital bed... Placing 2 armed guards at her room, Police denied friends and family to see Billie as she lay dying on her hospital bed...

“Billie ‘paid her debt’ to society, but society never paid its debt to her.” - a friend of Billie's

billie-holiday-sings-1024x576.jpg

Billie Holiday - The very thought of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yakzL1Q88c
[YOUTUBEIF]9yakzL1Q88c[/YOUTUBEIF]

billycw

Veteran
"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
- Hunter S Thompson

VGarnikyan_StarryNight_1000pxls__880.jpg

"THE STARRY KNIGHT" by Vartan Garnikyan

billycw

Veteran
“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
― Mark Twain

A crowd of people reading headlines on a billboard in front of the New York Evening Post building in New York City, early 1860's. The newspaper boy visible at the front of the crowd would sell the issue that includes the article titles featured on the billboard.

stereo384.gif

stereo405.gif

Animated stereoview - By E. & H. T. Anthony & Company.

billycw

Veteran
“Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.” - Marcus Aurelius -

nathan-redwood.jpg

Nathan Redwood, Carried Away, 2008

I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - Albert C. Campbell and Henry Burr (1919)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNV6wCQfcoA
[YOUTUBEIF]dNV6wCQfcoA[/YOUTUBEIF]

This tune always reminds me of smoking your troubles away, so I wondered while smoking just why does the British United football fans sing this American song?...

Well turns out its pretty simple really. Before blaring P.A. systems in stadiums a good way to keep everything fun during intermission is to all sing. What better songs to get everyone singing then the hits of the day.

In the 1920's there was a player for west ham's kids team that was pretty good, Billy J. "Bubbles" Murray. The team would razz him for looking like the popular Pears Soap advertisement little boy of the time with the painting from Sir John Everett Millais called "bubbles".

To get the club going, the coach would start singing "I'm forever blowing bubbles" from the sidelines changing the words to pump his team. The Fans loved this so much on a minor team level that it made the jump to the big stadium as a new club classic...

Sir-John-Everett-Millais-xx-Bubbles-xx-Private-collection.jpg

Sir John Everett Millais, Bubbles (A Child's World), 1885-86

4548249130_454x304.jpg

West Ham Boys 1921 - Billy J. "Bubbles" Murray / bottom left

West Ham fans - Bubbles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLcfITHmMzI
[YOUTUBEIF]wLcfITHmMzI[/YOUTUBEIF]

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"

I'm dreaming dreams, I'm scheming schemes
I'm building castles high
They're born anew, their days are few
Just like a sweet butterfly
And as the daylight is dawning
They come again in the morning

I'm forever blowing bubbles
Pretty bubbles in the air
They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky
Then like my dreams they fade and die
Fortune's always hiding
I've looked ev'rywhere

When shadows creep, when I'm asleep
To lands of hope I stray
Then at daybreak, when I awake
My bluebird flutters away
Happiness, you seem so near me
Happiness, come forth and cheer me

They fly so high
Nearly reach the sky
Then like my dreams they fade and die
Fortune's always hiding
I've looked ev'rywhere

DT2143.jpg

Thomas Couture, Soap Bubbles, 1859

billycw

Veteran
The San Francisco call,
September 02, 1905
Titled: Officers Raid Den

Very early example of cannabis being cultivated primarily as a drug plant on America's west coast... One of the first police interactions with cannabis being cultivated and them intervening as well. This is even before the poison act so it is not illegal at all at this time(granted they weren't there for the plants but doubt they left them)...

The San Francisco call, September 02, 1905
The_San_Francisco_call._September_02_1905.jpg

billycw

Veteran
I agree tessarecting, a very poignant message of needed change with Billie's story... The sad thing is little has changed in our policy as a society...

Left out 2 points to her story that really spoke to me too...

I always read she "died penniless"... For anyone that has had to endure 1 court case, knows the financial toll this takes on your life and your family. Imagine this for 2 decades of police harassment and cases... After the first case, Anslinger was also successful at taking her cabaret card away. This meant she could no longer sing where alcohol was served effectively ending her ability to make a living for much of her life...

Billie respected and looked up to her friend and often music partner saxophonist Lester Young. She gave Lester his nickname "the Prez" after who Billie said was the "greatest man around" President Franklin Roosevelt. In turn Lester named Billie "Lady Day" after the First Lady. I have to wonder after all she had to go through in her life, what she thought of FDR at the end...

billycw

Veteran
"Invitation," Around the Year in the Garden, 1913
~Frederick Frye Rockwell

In golden April weather,
In sun and wind and rain,
Let us fare forth and follow
Beneath the spring's first swallow
By budding break and heather
To the good brown soil again!

933f6b91a5a1026090b629946927867f.jpg

"I Drivhuset" (in the garden) by Susanne Ussing 1980

billycw

Veteran
"From a little spark may burst a flame."
- Dante Alighieri

Rudolf_Epp_-_Ein_M%C3%A4dchen_entz%C3%BCndet_des_Gro%C3%9Fvaters_Pfeife.jpg

Lighting Grandpa's pipe - Rudolf Epp (German, 1834-1910)

billycw

Veteran
Butler citizen, PA newspaper
November 22, 1900
Titled: Hemp for Fiber

No war, no mandate, just building America...

Butler citizen, November 22, 1900
Butler_citizen._November_22_1900.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts