What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage News Articles & Finds

billycw

Veteran
I'm not saying I know what this kid's rolling, I'm just saying I know I have had that same smile:biggrin:

photo by Jean Geiser- Algeria around 1900 - postcard
3b434ddba57841bc8769cf3bd6b461a0.jpg

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Confederate POW's: in a Pennsylvania prison. (Cavalry Officers)
EDIT: General John Hunt Morgan's men. Google it :D

220px-Morgans_Men_POW_1863.jpg

billycw

Veteran
"When I was a child, my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope.' Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso." -Pablo Picasso

95aaa43cdaec1caaaa65b42920713be9.jpg

Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau at a bullfight in Vallauris, France, 1956

I talked about “Cabaret des Assassins” in Paris where the hashish was loved, but later on when the bar became "Lapin Agile" it was still frequented by the smokers, time travelers and outcast folk alike. Picasso loved the place so that he made it his home while in town.

494.jpg

Man with pipe and seated nude, 1969

This was so known that Steve Martin even wrote a broadway play, fictional but legs in real world, about Picasso meeting Einstein in the Lapin Agile circa 1905 called "Picasso at the Lapin Agile".

standing-female-nude-and-man-with-pipe-1968.jpg!Blog.jpg

Picasso - Standing female nude and man with pipe- 1968

Although the meeting was fictional it still makes for a good play with one leg in reality. I'm guessing by Picasso's work and love of pipes that the original soul of the Cabaret des Assassins lived on long past its name...

the-man-with-a-pipe-1968.jpg!Blog.jpg

Picasso - The Man with a Pipe- 1968

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” Albert Einstein

albert-einstein-pipe-151971.jpg

Einstein 1930

billycw

Veteran
A ass's tail...

Boronali_Impression.jpg

Et le soleil se coucha sur l'Adriatique (Sunset over the Adriatic)- And a name for the artist? Joachim-Raphael Boronali aka Aliboron aka Lolo

March 1910 in Paris, what a time for some day drinking fun to be had...

So Roland Dorgelès (young art critic) and barkeep caretaker of the Lapin Agile Frédéric Gérard aka "Frede" after some good day drinks, hatch a plan with buddies writer André Warnod, and the illustrator Jules Deraquit.

frede-rue-des-saules.jpg

Frede and Lolo at the Lapin agile 1901

Frede cares for the bar Mascot and local fixture, a Donkey named Aliboron aka Lolo. He grabs a canvas and paints 2 colors seperating the picture. Next he ties a paintbrush to Lolo's tail, and sets the painting under the brush after dipping it in paint. Feeding her carrots and tobacco leaves for her to wag her tail on the painting and to everyone's excitement it works... briefly as I'm sure the laughs continued on...

boronali-lapin-agile.jpg

Lolo and the pranksters 1910

They then plan and throw a art show for the painting and the new mystery painter at the happening "Salon des Indépendants". Large crowds of people showed up at the event and ohhed and awwed at the paintings brilliance. The gag was only reveled when a paper published the whole story by the pranksters at the Lapin Agile and their Donkey Lolo...

le_matin_boronali.jpg

frede.jpg

Frede and Lolo

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Shenandoah herald, VA newspaper
June 23, 1893

James-Younger-group-1b.jpg

James/ Younger gang 1876

There are a treasure trove of wild west tales to read through online, but some of my favorite's to read are the tiny blurbs at the end of the papers. Tales of stuff to be not so proud of quickly and quietly told in just sentences. Those sentences often speak volumes...

Shenandoah herald., June 23, 1893
7934a2a378194d2030c2b7e2e212b5d3.jpg

Wildbunchlarge.jpg

The Wild Bunch. photo by John Swartz 1900, Texas.
From left to right, standing: William Carver, Harvey 'Kid Curry' Logan. Seated: Harry 'Sundance Kid' Langbaugh (1870 - 1909), Ben 'The Tall Texan' Kilpatrick, Robert LeRoy 'Butch Cassidy' Parker (1866 - 1909)

4d99e0b13c071d70ffd92af8ffd6a7b7.jpg

Harvey Alexander Logan, aka Kid Curry, referred to as "the wildest of the Wild Bunch"

billycw

Veteran
The Arizona sentinel,
September 11, 1897
Titled: Smuggled Mariguana

yuma-territorial-prison.jpg

Point of no return, front gate Yuma Territory Prison

This small catch by a Yuma Territory prison guard gets treated like the crime stop of the decade getting reprinted for years to come. Whenever marijuana being smuggled into prison's pre 1910 is mentioned, this is the incident or article they always reference.

Funny Customs still uses the same dry humor tactic, contact us to claim your marijuana...

The Arizona sentinel, September 11, 1897
35b678ed41319025092c783ea51b05d6.jpg

yp1_600.jpg

Cell walkway, Yuma Territory Prison

This article made such waves the federal government gets in on the action asking for samples for "Scientific determination"... i.e. let me try that...

The Arizona sentinel, November 13, 1897
911235f398239cf92fa170864bcb5c00.jpg

Yumb%20prison%20cell%20blocks%2003.jpg

The Dark Cell at Yuma Territory Prison is said to be still haunted with the poor souls who stayed for good.

billycw

Veteran
Joos_van_Craesbeeck_-_The_Smoker.jpg

The Smoker - Joos van Craesbeeck - c.1635-6

1200px-Joos_van_Craesbeeck_-The_Temptation_of_St_Anthony.jpg

The Temptation of St Anthony - Joos_van_Craesbeeck - c.1650

Betterhaff

Veteran
View Image
The Wild Bunch. photo by John Swartz 1900, Texas.
From left to right, standing: William Carver, Harvey 'Kid Curry' Logan. Seated: Harry 'Sundance Kid' Langbaugh (1870 - 1909), Ben 'The Tall Texan' Kilpatrick, Robert LeRoy 'Butch Cassidy' Parker (1866 - 1909)
Took this picture of this plaque years ago. Gives a little history of the photo. Not Cannabis but interesting.

Attachments

• Wild Bunch.jpg
    Wild Bunch.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 14

billycw

Veteran
Loving the history on that one Betterhaff, thanks for sharing:biggrin:

More of a catchall history thread, all stories in time welcome:biggrin:

billycw

Veteran
"I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.”
-Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis, with one of the hardest call signs of all time aka "Chaos"

ca7d4506530165e38f9f7ae7eacfbcc4.jpg

An aerial gunner stands before his B-24 bomber wearing what it took to survive at 25,000ft over WWII battlefield in 1943-45.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.”
-Gen. James "Mad Dog" Mattis aka Chaos

B-24_drops_a_load_of_fragmentation_bombs_on_the_Aidrome_at_Neuberg_Austria_26_March_1945.460th_BG.jpg

B-24 of the 460th Bomb Group drops a load of fragmentation bombs on the Aidrome at Neuberg, Austria – 26 March 1945

I love looking through nose art or artwork that was painted on the planes. Stumbled on this gem, funny they chose to title a skunk riding the bomb as "Little Flower"...:biggrin:

a3d896f6481fa7488e7712503972a551.jpg

B-24 little flower , 308 Bomb Group 2

Last edited:

billycw

Veteran
Arizona sentinel and Yuma weekly examiner,
April 18, 1912
Titled simply: The Sheriff's Office

121554504483.jpg

"JAILBREAK" Original Cartoon Illustration, FRANK BEAVEN 1936

One of my favorite prison break stories. Breaking out of prison not to get away into the night to freedom, but to find cannabis and whisky to bring back in...
:laughing:

Arizona sentinel and Yuma weekly examiner, April 18, 1912
87da958d5962601c0ac63943ad8d3d01.jpg

billycw

Veteran
For those musically inclined, a little dug up gold. The reefer song sea shanti...

The Reefers Song
Sheet music from 1885

2d3175fdd2d2d8b01d59af30a2e2098f.jpg

007548e23f50ccb66369203c3b38f89f.jpg

d22c9f3743655bd9ee772982458de0a9.jpg

a987d31be83384dd70bbb5238031bde2.jpg

cb4ed4bc1b9405e0a2c9d6962be63f52.jpg

billycw

Veteran
“I don’t know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot—but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose.”
Theodore Roosevelt campaign speech opening minutes after being shot

The Dos Equis guy has nothing on one of our toughest American's ever, President and all around badass... Theodore Roosevelt...

wlL9fdn.jpg

A 19-year-old Theodore Roosevelt during his freshman year at Harvard, 1877

There are so many stories about Roosevelt that are just so amazing that they sound a tale of legend or myth, but make no mistakes, Theodore Roosevelt was a badass. Like when he was just getting into Politics and took a trip to his frontier hideaway in Mingasville, ND to clear his head.

As he was enjoying his drink at a local bar, some pissed off cowboy pulled out his gun and took a couple shots at Roosevelt. Standing the gunman points his gun at Roosevelt's head, his reaction, Roosevelt laugh's...

Choosing to take control of the situation, Roosevelt charges the gunman knocking the gun away and continues to bash his head against the bar until he is unconscious. Not enough, Roosevelt drags the guy outside to a shed and locks the unconscious would be assassin in for the night... Damn...

6fbdf931dab9f2329aba76c16ee2bed6.jpg

Teddy Roosevelt harpooning devilfish 1917

But our quote today comes from one of his most badass moments just after being shot...

October 14, 1912 on the campaign trail in Milwaukee, just getting into his car outside the Gilpatrick Hotel for the ride to his speech at a rally. He stands in the convertible to wave at all the onlookers when 5 feet away a gunman pulls out his .38 and shoots Roosevelt point blank in the chest...

An instant chaotic scene erupts instantly with chaos around the car everywhere. According to one eyewitness at the scene "one man was “the coolest and least excited of anyone in the frenzied mob”: Roosevelt"...

Roosevelt-X-ray.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt's X-ray after being shot

What does Roosevelt do after being shot? He coughs in his hand 3 times, after not seeing blood he decides the bullet had not punctured his lungs and against his doctors pleas for the hospital he commands the driver “You get me to that speech.”...

He continued to the campaign rally where he walked on stage, minutes after being shot in the chest point blank, and gives a 90 minute defiant speech...

“I give you my word, I do not care a rap about being shot; not a rap,”
Theodore Roosevelt quote from speech minutes after being shot

CRTNvRSUcAAIuPW.jpg

New York Times, October 15, 1912 front page

x37f3df5daf9b858a0e3319b011820569.jpg.pagespeed.ic.s5JcfkiS0d.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Latest posts

Latest posts