What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Colombian

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice pics! I have to find my way to Columbia one day. I'm glad it's not dangerous for some of us gringo's! The women sound nice! It'd be nice to score some Columbian Gold seeds as well.

In 2012, the United Nations ranked it third on a “happiness” index. A Gallup poll last year put Colombia in the top 10 of countries in which people like what they do each day and have supportive relationships. And Forbes magazine cites it as one of “10 coolest places to visit in 2015.”

T

TRH Seeds

Thanks for the great thread Rider after I finished reading these pages I ordered up Punta Rojo and Colombian Mangoniche..

I will have to hybridize these to get the yield up and the flowering time down for my climate but I expect I will be very impressed with these 'old school' genetics.

T

TRH Seeds

^^ **(Hybridize them with some Indicas- not hybridize them together) ^^

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Colombia Takes First Step To Regulate Marijuana Use

The regulation of the use of marijuana for medical purposes was approved in the first debate of a Senate committee in Colombia on Tuesday.

With a vote of 13 to two, members of a committee of Colombia’s Senate approved legalizing marijuana for medical and therapeutic use in a country in which this drug is the most vastly consumed by the population. The measure still needs to be debated by one more senatorial commission and two lower house committees.

The bill proposed by Juan Manuel Galan of the Liberal Party received favorable votes from members of his own party, the official Social Party of National Unity, Conservative Party, Democratic Pole and Democratic Center.

Galan, the son of presidential candidate Luis Carlos Galan, killed by an organized crime group 25 years ago, said that he expects the bill will be passed into law before June 2015. He stressed that the purpose of the bill is not to legalize marijuana but to “regulate its medical, therapeutic and scientific use.”

The sponsor of the legislation spoke of the promising uses of medical marijuana, including the elimination of symptoms of illnesses such as diabetes, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, arthrosis, some types of cancer and the effects of chemotherapy.

In the committee debate, senators from the Conservative Party opposed the recreational use of marijuana but supported medical uses.

Viviana Morales, one of the thirteen senators who supported the measure, proposed the inclusion of another article in the project that would “terminally prohibit the importation of medicines containing cannabis so that the business will leave something to the country that has lost so much in the drug trade. We can take on the task of producing these medicines.”

The additional article was approved by a vote of 11 to four.

President Juan Manuel Santos had previously voiced his support for the medical and therapeutic use of marijuana. In August he stated that “this is a practical, compassionate measure to reduce the pain and anxiety of patients with terminal illnesses, but is also a way to begin to take a substance for alleviating suffering out of the hands of criminals.”

The next step is to take the bill to the plenary session of the Senate, where it will come to a vote within the next few days.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Punto Rojo

Punto Rojo

Thanks for the great thread Rider after I finished reading these pages I ordered up Punta Rojo and Colombian Mangoniche..

I will have to hybridize these to get the yield up and the flowering time down for my climate but I expect I will be very impressed with these 'old school' genetics.

Welcome TRH Seeds! You made a very good if not the best choice. Punto Rojo is my life time favorite cannabis and I have never heard anyone that knows her not love her. If you were to write a
definition of what you want in a cannabis experience, it would equal Punto Rojo. Punto Rojo is rare for me in Bogota I haven't seen it here in years. Also I finally heard about mango bicha from a Colombian. One of the young guys that I work with told me about it. He said it was popular in Medellin and rivaled the cripa in both potency and effect. I was impressed because before I'd never heard a Colombian refer to it. I wish you the best with them, I know you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

bigherb

Veteran
I personally believe that genetics are way more important then environment, as long as the environment allows the flowers to fully mature. I can create almost any environmental conditions in a greenhouse. That and greenhouse grown suffers less damage due to wind, rain, and other outdoor problems.
BTW, the best herb I smoked was Original Haze, hands down, way better then the very, very, best seedless Colombian, the Haze had way more terpenes and the buds were not squashed for transport.
I smoked the Colombian that the Original Haze came from, most of the Haze grown in Calif was way way better. Even though grown in a greenhouse in Santa Cruz with the plants finishing in Dec, Jan.
Drying, curing, transport is tough on great Cannabis grown in the tropics, unless you take the time to dry, cure, transport it, and consume it in a manner that keeps it in the very best condition.
I never ever saw Colombian from Colombia with as big of bracts as the greenhouse Santa Cruz Original Haze, or with as much resin or terpenes, why is that?
I have smoked a lot of movers personal stash they brought special from Colombia in very small amounts, not for sale, they could not get tons of the very very best.
I am not saying that the local Colombian environment may not be the best for a local Colombian variety, I am saying that is not enough if they dry in the sun, press the buds, allow the product to be seeded, or a million other things that degrade quality that is produced in traditional Cannabis cultivation areas. Transport may be the worst offender.
All that said, I really love NLD varieties, although I may well prefer the plant to be grown by me, and dried, cured, and stored, as well as consumed. I can do it better then almost any tradition Cannabis producer. I can use the clones of only the very very best plants found in past crops from seed, for example. So the crop is only the best of the best.

As for someone that said environment is more important then genetics, I can give you seeds that do not produce THC, and I assure you that regardless what you do in any environment they will be useless for recreational use. Unless you alter the genetics by hybridization.

-SamS

Thanks for sharing your experience an insight

I feel the same Genetics are most important . The best genetics grown under the worst conditions can still produce good quality . But if you dont have high quality genetics the best conditions wont change that

Im simple minded

This debate of indoor grown vs Sweet spot grown/tropical has been dug into before .But im not sure any real studies or test have been done

I dont imagine that the angle / spectrum / intensity / UV of the sun coupled with elevation Native soils /Volcanic rich soils created over millions of years, Could be duplicated indoor . I know there are many nutients available such as guanos manures Etc .Can that all really be created indoor/GH ?

I fully understand Rain an wind effect quality . The transport an handling curing is what effects the quality .BUt as you say if expertlt grown /dried/ cured and stored properly does an indoor/GH setup compare to tropic grown ?

The best import you mentioned was Golden Thai unpressed ,Goes to show .The handling was a main factor in preserving quality

Not to go too much off track I have a question ill post in my Ohaze thread

1livbigherb

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You bring up a good point bigherb and starting with good genetics for one or two generations it might be important or is important. But what happens to good genetics after say 10 or 20 generations in a less than optimum conditions? Will the plant not "acclimate" to its environment? Ok now let me throw this in again, you take the best Haze seed grown under acceptable conditions. Then you cut it early, squash it into a brick and then ship it several thousand miles in extreme conditions. What do you have? Good brick weed? I believe in my simple way of thinking that, genetics, growing conditions, harvest timing and dry/curing are all equally important to produce quality cannabis. That being said imagine how the Colombian you had in 60s-70s would be if it was cut at the right time and handled with care? I mean if it was as good as it was after being cut early and beaten to death, just think how good it would be treated properly. With humble modesty I do know.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no breeder, and a hack at plant physiology, but

P = G + E + GxE + error

No?

Genetics are the key to success, but without environment, it's like cooking with the best ingredients, but no appliances or experience cooking.

Hell, who hasen't met a few special sauce growers? You can give them the best cut and they'll produce no weight or THC.

Viviana Morales, one of the thirteen senators who supported the measure, proposed the inclusion of another article in the project that would “terminally prohibit the importation of medicines containing cannabis so that the business will leave something to the country that has lost so much in the drug trade. We can take on the task of producing these medicines.”

Congratulations! I quoted this part, because I think it is very important. The medical legalization program in Canada is set up for export, and the legal producers are building for a scale that will supply Canda 10x over. Albeit, they're failing horribly at producing enough for the local market, with enough money and time they will get their house in order.

As export is open, so is import from other medically legal countries. I would gladly get my card to fiddlefart around with top shelf import.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no breeder, and a hack at plant physiology, but

P = G + E + GxE + error

No?

Genetics are the key to success, but without environment, it's like cooking with the best ingredients, but no appliances or experience cooking.

Hell, who hasen't met a few special sauce growers? You can give them the best cut and they'll produce no weight or THC.

Congratulations! I quoted this part, because I think it is very important. The medical legalization program in Canada is set up for export, and the legal producers are building for a scale that will supply Canda 10x over. Albeit, they're failing horribly at producing enough for the local market, with enough money and time they will get their house in order.

As export is open, so is import from other medically legal countries. I would gladly get my card to fiddlefart around with top shelf import.

We are on the same page Mikell and I certainly see Sam's point, you can't get a horse out of a pony no matter how much you feed it. But didn't the pony come from a horse at one point?
Colombian people in general associate cannabis with bums thieves rapist and murders. Even worse cannabis consumers and cultivators are also connect with the FARC an narco traffickers. The attitude is changing but very slowly. Importing weed in to Colombia is like bringing your girlfriend to a whorehouse.

Adze

Genes adapt?

Genes adapt?

Red Rider,
I was reading the exchange between you and BigHerb and company, don't know if this will help.

If a group of plants lived for 20 generations in less than ideal conditions, what would change their genetic makeup is selection. The genes would remain almost unchanged, but those better suited to the conditions would be more likely to produce seed. That selection process would result in plants better adapted to conditions. They would show different phenotypical expressions, like you getting a sun tan in conditions with lots of sun, doesn't change genes. Some of the plants that couldn't produce seed might be the best ones from our perspective, those genes would be lost. The chance of there being a genetic mutation that benefitted the plant is so small you all but discount it.
Really enjoy this thread, thanks Red and the rest of the great heads here. :biggrin:

Betterhaff

Veteran
In the wild wouldn’t there also be diversity caused by of the timing of pollination. Early males pollinating early females, mid range males pollinating mid and early females, and late males potentially pollinating all females (early, mid, late)? There would be differing degrees, ie late males pollinating early females would be limited because those girls may already have been mostly pollinated but still could occur.

Adze

Yes, that's all part of the selection process. Any plant that flowers too late, fails to produce seed before it dies or flowers before it can pollenate or be pollenated is eliminated from the gene pool. Males that produce pollen when the females are ready and females that flower when the most pollen is flying produce the most seed. More of their genes get into the next generation insuring plants better adapted the photo period in that location.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
z
You bring up a good point bigherb and starting with good genetics for one or two generations it might be important or is important. But what happens to good genetics after say 10 or 20 generations in a less than optimum conditions? Will the plant not "acclimate" to its environment?

Most plants do not acclimatize in a true sense. In varieties, through reproduction the genes are selected by man or the environmental conditions, man is looking for potency, resin, taste, effects, yield, the environment favors the plants that can reproduce the easiest, regardless of quality.
Most what is called acclimatization is a combination of man and environment, unless truly wild varieties, then it is only environment, but then drug quality will not be maintained and will suffer.
Do you think a single clone can acclimatize if brought from the equator to the north? Are the genes changing? How? Will it flower earlier? My clones seem the same 20 years later, they still flower the same time in Oct under natural photoperiod, regardless if the clone has been previously been kept under 24 hours light for years or even under 24 hour lights but at 5 degrees centigrade for years. They are still the same, the genes have not changed.
Real acclimatization of drug varieties requires reproduction and selection if you want to change the genes to better fit the environment, and mans selection to keep drug quality high.
-SamS

Ok now let me throw this in again, you take the best Haze seed grown under acceptable conditions. Then you cut it early, squash it into a brick and then ship it several thousand miles in extreme conditions. What do you have? Good brick weed? I believe in my simple way of thinking that, genetics, growing conditions, harvest timing and dry/curing are all equally important to produce quality cannabis. That being said imagine how the Colombian you had in 60s-70s would be if it was cut at the right time and handled with care? I mean if it was as good as it was after being cut early and beaten to death, just think how good it would be treated properly. With humble modesty I do know.

Last edited:

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great stuff Sam, I'm digesting it all and am creating some more questions as this is most interesting.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
At present Colombia already permits the possession of 20 grams or less of marijuana for personal use. This bill would simply expand the country’s current marijuana laws. Introduced by Senator Juan Manuel Galan, this latest legislation would place the distribution of medical marijuana under the control of the Colombian government. If approved by Colombian legislators, the medical marijuana bill could pass as soon as next summer.
Read more at http://americanlivewire.com/2014-08-17-president-medical-marijuana/

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
This is a very important thread Red. It is possibly the best you ever made. Keep up the good work.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you so much and I wish happiness to all who read my words. Complements distract me. However I have very positive news to report. Concrete steps have been taken and words being put to purpose. I have some help on the way and a prime growing location will be selected so we can get seeds in the soil early this year. I'm sincerely hoping that my plans coincide with Colombia legalizing medical. I know Colombia will eventually legalize totally when the USA does. So today the sun is beating down in Bogota but a fresh mountain breeze makes the shade indispensable and I'm looking at real estate.

I have a lot of what I call Black Colombian seed from Manizales. I've never planted any black before and I'm really curious to see what the plants look like. I'm thinking their going to flower for a long time.

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Santos prioritizes bilateral ceasefire deal with FARC

Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos announced on Wednesday that he has given orders to government negotiators to prioritize talks with rebel group FARC over a bilateral and indefinite ceasefire.

Very good news from where we are siting, really hope this happens and sticks.

Latest posts

Latest posts