What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not exactly vintage, but a homegrown fantaseeds catalog I picked up in the DAM in 2000, enjoy!

picture.php

album.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This thread is by far my favorite. I am loving this.

There's an article out their I think on CC about how Cannabis has evolved with us I see it as totally true we are the ones who are changing it like crazy. I am sure this is a Sativa but wow.

So I ask you older guys this, were Sativas from the 60s and 70s did they have like wicked thin leaves or what? I'm guessing they have gotten bigger from introducing them with Indicas but I'd love to see some super thin sativas today that haven't changed since then if anyone has any.

The only strain that I always wanted to grow cause in my mind seemed like a relic of the times was Dalat. I'm likely wrong, just seemed like it would have came back from Vietnam with some of our boys.

I've picked up a few landraces this year from my buddy at tropical seeds. Right now, for the first time, Im flowering Some Viet Dalat, Purple Old Timers Haze, and Nepalese Highland, Pure Durban Poison, and some purple Pakistans. Ive never had a taste of a pure landrace strain, and Im anxious to try them. I was born in 86, but I feel like I Should have been born 25 years prior! I love to take a look back in time, to see what all I missed out on. Many times, I have pondered what it would have been like to grow up from the 60s til now. The way of life then was so much different than it is now. When I think about how society was then, and look at it now, I actually get very sick to my stomach. The things that were important then, are not even considered by today's youth. Ive been growing now for 10 years..Started out with some old Afghan seeds I was gifted by an old head. Its a strain he has been working since he received it in the late 70s-early 80s. From what I have heard, the Afghans really swept the US during this time, and it was then that a lot of amatuer breeders began introducing it to their lines. A lot of folks are into the latest hype (white widow, AK-47, Kushes, Skushes, Chronic,).. All that is good, but Im learning to appreciate the old time strains. Next season I will be working with mainly landrace strains. Im doing some large Nepalese plots, planning to make a good amount of handrub, and a few Afghan plots for hash.. I cant wait to try a haze this fall for the first time. Ive done some outcrossing with my Old timers haze, cant wait to see how these seeds fair.

This is a great thread Fseasons. I really appreciate u taking the time to create it, and I love to hear all the stories from your time. I wasnt around then, but after hearing these stories you can really get a feel for the value of life back then. I almost feel like I have lived them myself.. Maybe I was reincarnated shortly after death to a new time.

Much appreciated. For those fools that are trying to bash on these fellas, you have only confirmed your ignorance. Much respect to all that contribute to this thread

GFam:joint:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The above article was published in the seventies and shows the mountain peoples of Mexico making Water extraction hash well before the the Europeans refined the technique.
There are also Reports this extraction method was used in the Afghan area in the early 70s.
Peace

Please let me know what magazine the year and what page the article is on. I have never seen info about water hash being made pre-1980's, I have most of the old pot mags so please just let me know where to find the story or even better scan it and PM it to me.
Thanks in advance,
-SamS

here is the thing-
if all these (or even any of these) were truly better than what is being grown today, it never would have been phased out. THERE IS ALWAYS A MARKET FOR THE BEST. Doesn't make much sense that all the groups of drug growers would switch to a less desirable product. Oh, some might... for the increased yeilds or shortened flowering times but some would say I am gonna keep growing the best because in the end- the best sells the best. It just doesn't make sense.

Celticman

There are several reasons for this unfortunate scenario, all of which are amplified by the current illegal status of cannabis. Many of the old-timers who were lucky enough to possess the germplasm of the older varieties have drifted away from the cannabis community, or have seen too many busts and ripoffs in their time to talk about growing or share genetics with other growers. The largest factor in the demise of Sativa strains like Hawaiian Elephant is their lack of commercial profitability. Growing to astounding sizes and yielding loose buds of low weight, these Sativas lend themselves to neither grow room nor outdoor garden, despite their many positive qualities. As a matter of economic necessity these strains have been heavily bred with Indicas over the years, losing much of their original characteristics such as taste and high-quality effect.
Breeders like DJ Short with Blueberry and Flo, or the many unnamed others responsible for strains like Hawaiian Sativa or Mighty Mite, have proven what can be accomplished despite the oppression placed upon our culture. Yet marijuana still remains illegal, and strains like Blueberry could very easily go the way of the super Sativas of the Seventies, unless measures are taken to preserve these genetics. Until the legal status of our favourite plant is changed, this responsibility lies on the shoulders of the underground cultivator.

Found in CC, Preserving our seeds.

GFam

Kusherman

CC

if those are what Oaxacan Spears looked like in the mid 70s then Oaxacan Spears were unripe, uncured garbage that would burn your throat

and there is no way Oaxacan ganja would have the reputation it has if that green green shite is top Oaxacan ganja

sorry if I have misunderstood you bro but let's be clear here --- that is not what good ganja looks like and never has been or will be --- that stuff is unripe barely flowered crap spinach that a hungry cow would be insulted by

I'm also wondering how in the feck Colombian ganja could be expected to mature properly in Milwaukee

don't get me wrong, this thread is a lot of fun ----

but it's also confirming my suspicion that the reason a lot of old timers insist that the bud was so great "back in the day" was that back in the day 99% of them were teenage muppets who had never smoked anything before and didn't know any better

don't get me wrong, I know there was the real deal around then - not trying to deny that - but there is the real thing around now too, in abundance if you know what you are about

Sorry guys who disagree with this guy, but he is soooooooooooo correct with it. Back in the day if you were twenty yrs old and smoked some Red Bud after smoking some mexican brick shit, then you thought it was the best shit that you ever had. Not realizing that it was just better than what you been smoking. Times have changed and my father who is sixty will readily acknowledge that the weeds of yesteryear doesn't have anything on the sour diesal he smoked last night LOL. Most of the weed was picked too early, compressed therefore breaking half, the glands before you even smoked it, improperly grown. For instance Look at high times magazines "buds of the month" before 1980 and look at the buds from 1990 on up who made it as "bud of the month". Techniques have changed a whole lot has changed since the spindly buds that we thought was "the best weed ever". The thc percentages now are much higher than they were Pre-1980 and they are getting higher because of technology. If you think about it when we think back to the "highest we've ever been" we will always relate back to the first days of smoking when our tolerance wasn't as high as it is now. For example if white widow had came out in 1970 people who were smoking some of the "best shit they ever had" would have thought it was laced with something else. I could go on and on but it breaks down to properly growing the flowers that we all love. Peace Luv and Buds.

four seasons

Veteran
2 pounds of 2700 year old cannabis was excavated from a burial tomb in the Gobi desert recently.
Actual pictures

Fig. 2. Photomicrographs of ancient cannabis. (A) Photograph of the whole cannabis sample being transferred in laminar flow hood. (B) Photomicrograph of leaf fragment at low power displaying non-glandular and amber sessile glandular trichomes. Note retention of chlorophyll and green colour, scale bar=100 µm. (C) Higher power photomicrograph of a single sessile glandular trichome. At least 4 of its 8 secretory cells are clearly visible on the right, and the scar of attachment to the stype cells in the centre, scale bar=25 µm. (D) Low power photomicrograph of a cannabis achene (‘seed’) including the base with a non-concave scar of attachment visible, scale bar=1 mm.

mazar_man

guerilla Family ru a cop or just like passing off other people's (published) righting as your own words?

Your entire last post is word for word right out of an old cannabis culture article.

Latest posts

Latest posts