What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
People don't really believe Advanced Nutrients do they?

I don't know about most folks, but I stopped believing in them when Dr. Hornsby stated that Salmon Creek Big Bud had abnormally high levels of CBD. The total cannabinoid levels he quoted were over 30%. That is the kind of statement that a cop might make, but not a scientist. I suspect that there may be a few select "elite" phenos of some strain that might approach a total cannabinoid level of 30%, but they would be few and far in between. Even the really good ones rarely go over 25% total(THC+CBG+THCV,etc,etc.)

E

elmanito

Its funny you mentioned the article about methylation in humans.In the article they talk about L-methionine which is an essential amino acid.There are 8 of those amino acids which we need every day.Fish, meat, hemp seed, soy beans contain all 8 essential amino acids.

There are also minerals and micro-elements which we need every day like
Magnesium (involved in 300 different enzymatic processes, muscle tissue)
Selenium (immune system, production of thyroid hormones, production of glutathione)
Iodine (immune system, thyroid gland, protective against breast cancer, prostate cancer)

Back to Cannabis.Pops has right that for THC-production you need the right allele.If a plant has the Bd/allele no THC-production will occurre, because the Bd/allele is responsible for the CBD-content, like Bt/allele is responsible for the THC-content, so you need a plant which has the Bt/Bd allele.

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/reprint/163/1/335.pdf

For activation of that certain allele like the Bt/allele there are different factors involved like UV-radiation (which has big influence on the DNA), but also probably several minerals like Fe (Iron) and Mg (Magnesium).Thats also the reason that the old strains from Hawaii were extremely potent, because of the volcanic soil which contains all kinds of minerals, micro-elements etc and of course the nice warm weather and originally the genetics of the Hawaiian strains came from Southeast Asia .

More research has to be done about the influence of certain nutrients on the production of cannabinoids like David W. Pate says in his article Chemical ecology of Cannabis

Namaste :canabis:

T

Truthman

Its funny you mentioned the article about methylation in humans.In the article they talk about L-methionine which is an essential amino acid.There are 8 of those amino acids which we need every day.Fish, meat, hemp seed, soy beans contain all 8 essential amino acids.

There are also minerals and micro-elements which we need every day like
Magnesium (involved in 300 different enzymatic processes, muscle tissue)
Selenium (immune system, production of thyroid hormones, production of glutathione)
Iodine (immune system, thyroid gland, protective against breast cancer, prostate cancer)

Back to Cannabis.Pops has right that for THC-production you need the right allele.If a plant has the Bd/allele no THC-production will occurre, because the Bd/allele is responsible for the CBD-content, like Bt/allele is responsible for the THC-content, so you need a plant which has the Bt/Bd allele.

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/reprint/163/1/335.pdf

For activation of that certain allele like the Bt/allele there are different factors involved like UV-radiation (which has big influence on the DNA), but also probably several minerals like Fe (Iron) and Mg (Magnesium).Thats also the reason that the old strains from Hawaii were extremely potent, because of the volcanic soil which contains all kinds of minerals, micro-elements etc and of course the nice warm weather and originally the genetics of the Hawaiian strains came from Southeast Asia .

More research has to be done about the influence of certain nutrients on the production of cannabinoids like David W. Pate says in his article Chemical ecology of Cannabis

I don't doubt that we need methionine but at the amount that most people eat and at the speed it is absorbed is what is the problem. Eating too much protein is not a good thing and may play apart in cancer. Also, when the protein is absorbed too fast which would be the case with foods low in fiber, it would cause stress on the body. Being that they injected the mice with a high amount of this amino acid I can see how the outcome would be negative because injecting something means it gets into the system fast, which most people do when they eat meat or protein separated from soluble fibers, and eating a lot of it which causes the body to have to make use and clean the system of the excess protein that is coming so fast. Eating dried beans and rice wouldn't give you such a high amount of methionine and such a fast rate of absorption as eating animal products would due to the amino acid being bound to the fibers of the plant. Seaweed would give a high amount but it still is released slowly due to the fibers of the plant releasing it slowly and what isn't broken down down by the bacteria in the gut would be excreted.

I know when I changed to a whole foods diet one of the first things I noticed that changed was the way I felt. It was subtle but enough to recognize it. When I eat processed foods even vegetarian burgers and sausages, it seems that I want more of it and not as satisfied as when I just eat whole beans and rice with some fat and vegetables. It's weird but I know why as it pertains to chemicals in the gut and rate of absorption of the nutrients in the food.

I agree with everything else you stated but I think phytochemicals and alcohol play a big role in the making of chemicals we love in bud such as the aroma and cannabinoid levels. This is probably why organic bud is loved so much with a lot of people.

onegreenday

Veteran
from the Chemical Ecology of Cannabis

from the Chemical Ecology of Cannabis

If we run dehumdifiers in the grow rooms or grow in a desert
environment the plant should produce a lot more resin
according to this part of Chemical Ecology of Cannabis.

Cannabinoids and environmental stress
Desiccation

THC is a viscous hydrophobic oil (Garrett and Hunt 1974) that resists crystallization (Gaoni and Mechoulam 1971) and is of low volatility (Adams et al. 1941). Since the sticky resins produced and exuded on the surface of the plant are varying combinations of THC, other cannabinoids and a variety of terpenes, they can be seen as analogous to the waxy coatings of the cacti and other succulents that serve as a barrier to water loss in dry environments.

Bouquet (1950) has mentioned that the western side of Lebanon's mountainous Cannabis growing areas is less favorable for resin production because of humid sea winds. De Faubert Maunder (1976) also observed that the copious separable resin needed for hashish production occurs only "in a belt passing from Morocco eastwards, taking in the Mediterranean area, Arabia, the Indian sub-continent and ending in Indo-China." These are mostly areas notable for their sparse rainfall, low humidity and sunny climate. Is it merely coincidence that resin is produced according to this pattern, as well?

whodair

Veteran
i don't see many seedbanks offering landrace seeds which is a shame. I was of the same opinion that a landrace indica would be my best chance of getting what i need but it seems hybrids are the go. Obviously landraces don't sell as well because they aren't quite as potent as hybrids and most seedbanks are more interested in catering for the recreational user rather than a medicinal user.

I noticed that canna biogen has a landrace Taskenti and also seedsman is offering a moroccan landrace (called hash passion). I haven't been able to locate any other landraces at present but i will keep looking. Maybe i should try one of these two in the near future.

Do ruderalis hybrids contain high CBD?

peace

seedsman has sams and nevils genes in their gear. they're pretty cheap and half or more germ. try them

Tripitaka

Hi everyone

I'm interested in growing a high CBD strain.

Sensi seeds offer a strain called Ruderalis Indica which sounds quite good to me becuase they say it has 'a comparatively high proportion of CBD'

http://www.sensiseeds.com/ruderalisindica/1p236.htm

It would be good if Ruderalis Indica really does have comparatively high levels of CBD. I suppose Sensi seeds say that it contains comparatively high levels of CBD, which might mean that it is quite a low percentage, but the THC percentage is quite low too. That would be good for me. Maybe 5% THC, 3% CBD?

Does anyone know if Sensi's Ruderalis Indica really has comparatively high levels of CBD, or has it been removed through selective breeding?
Have any of you guys tried growing/smoking Ruderalis Indica?

Thanks

onegreenday

Veteran
Or if the people in Cally get seeds of that strain tested at Harborside,
that's high in CBD
and put them up for auction...........................

E

elmanito

Hawaiian

Hawaiian a true classic. There is something special about a good island herb, and Hawaiian is among the best. When properly grown outdoors it has a wonderful and unique bouquet of fruity spice, similar to the sweetness of the fine Thai, but with a kind of tangy taste.

Good Hawaiian herb has always been a devastatingly powerful experience for me. It is very psychedelic and internally focused, contemplative and overpoweringly meditative. A Walk with the King, a Dance with the Queen, and a sunset on the beach! Aah... Hawaiian!

I have tried to equal the Hawaiian experience outdoor on the mainland, and indoors, with no success. Everything I have grown from Hawaiian stock turned out to be nowhere near the quality of the parent stock. This is true for three generations of trials. The product from Hawaiian seed was equal to the best plants grown from mid-quality Colombian stock!

This led me to a hypothesis about Hawaii: that just about any stock grown in Hawaii will turn out to be of unique and relatively high quality. Hawaii just happens to be one of those special places, I suppose.

All breeding attempts with Hawaiian stock were dumped from my garden by 1983. It was a pretty and robust plant though, and also quite productive. Just not all that impressive when grown outside its homeland.

This is from an article Strains of yesteryear in Cannabis Culture Marijuana Magazine written by DJ Short.This has all to do what is in the soil (volcanic) whats so special about Hawaii.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
We have to realize that plants from one native environment may not do nearly as well in another environment. Differences in soil composition, lighting, altitude and temperature can affect the terpene expression, yield, growth characteristics and total cannabinoid levels. I grew land race Afghans indoor and got a product totally different than what was grown in Afghanistan outdoors. The only similarity is that both were grown in low humidity environments(I live in the desert.)

A

Afghanicus

Yeah my last order was a pack of sensis ruderalis indica but the seeds never arrived sadly
:(

onegreenday

Veteran
This is from an article Strains of yesteryear in Cannabis Culture Marijuana Magazine written by DJ Short.This has all to do what is in the soil (volcanic) whats so special about Hawaii.

I had good luck with some bag seed brought back from
Hawaii. One plant was stronger than the bag weed itself.
Sadly I lost her gene's but I'm trying some other old
Hawaii seed to see how they are.

I assume the bag weed caught some strong pollen in the Hawaiian
air or from the
rest of the garden.

Here's a link to an old story at Cannabis Culture:
Modern Day Pakalolo
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1427.html

I'd sure like to know what happened to the writer
and if any of these plants made it to the seed market.

Gernu

I found very useful information in this post, I am also looking for a "Very high CBD strain" and I know that we could "boost" CBD production only adding specific nutrients as I see in a link on this post:

http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm#HH29

The production of cannabinoids (THC, CBN, CBD, etc.) is greatly influenced by nutrients. As soil N increases relative to Mg, CBD increases relative to CBN. Increasing the ratio of N to Cu increases the level of CBD. Increasing amounts of P convert CBN to THC. Low to medium levels of P produces a high level of CBD, but CBD decreases with high levels of P. Low levels (levels less than 40 ppm) of Mg produce more CBD than do high levels of Mg. As levels of Mg increase relative to Ca, the concentration of THC decreases. The concentration of Mg and Fe in leaves is positively correlated to THC levels. Potassium increases the concentration of CBN by effecting the dehydrogenation of THC. An excess of K in the 3rd month will inhibit resin production. Excess Ca will inhibit resin production, and it increases the production of CBD in the resin is produced. Either an excess or deficiency of Mg produces more CBD. 5 ppm Fe gives highest yields of THC.
Do you know about a "commercial mix" that could help to do that?

Thanks to all.

onegreenday

Veteran
I found very useful information in this post, I am also looking for a "Very high CBD strain" and I know that we could "boost" CBD production only adding specific nutrients as I see in a link on this post:

http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm#HH29

Do you know about a "commercial mix" that could help to do that?

Thanks to all.

Rexresearch claims this data on a UN study but
they have no reference to the study.
I'd like to know why the UN would care
enough about resin production to do any study;
since they are a banned substance.
This is suspect to me.

T

Truthman

a simple side by side with different nutes.
send the bud to san fran for testin and
see what's up.

That is all that is needed to prove if it's true but for some reason that is the only test that I've seen and that was in 2004.

Makes you wonder why because when I saw the article I found it profound especially for medical marijuana patients which everyone is in an uproar about as far as the legality of cannabis.

onegreenday

Veteran
That is all that is needed to prove if it's true but for some reason that is the only test that I've seen and that was in 2004.

Makes you wonder why because when I saw the article I found it profound especially for medical marijuana patients which everyone is in an uproar about as far as the legality of cannabis.

Nice to have an impartial test by a respected IC volunteer grower.

They'd have to get the sample bud over to that Oakland dispensary that
has the testing lab; to get the test results.