What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

E

elmanito

Howdy folks. Harborside Health Center in Oakland is currently testing all of it's medicine for THC, CBD,and CBN. We've found only a few strains that have a signifigant % of CBD. One was a purple strain from Mendo, supposedly Erkle but might be anything. It tested at 5.8% CBD. All of these were done A GCMS machine by a Bay area lab set up just to test cannabis for medical clubs.

5.8% of CBD is high.What do you know about the effect of this purple strain.
Is this not a strain from Oregon?

Namaste :canabis:

G

grasspass

There is a huge amount of hemp growing wild in Minnesota . I have only found one wild patch that would get you high.The vast majority won't. That patch or I should say field had the smoothest smoke too. As a side note, how do people get busted for small grows , yet you can see hundreds of hemp plants in fields and on the sides of country roads?

onegreenday

Veteran
The Vancouver Seed Bank offers hemp seeds at a very cheap price, but will not ship to the United States. If any of our Canadian brothers would be willing to make a bounce pass, some of us would be interested. I had 70 feral hemp seeds from Minnesota, but only one has germed. It is now about 5 weeks old. I have 6 Sheberghan(Afghan) and 7 Mazar-i-Sharif females in bloom now, and have collected pollen from the 7 Sheberghan males and 2 mazar males. I will be making seeds. They should have some phenos that have CBD. I also have 6 Chinese Yunnan Indicas in flower.

I must say that I am happy to see all of you get interested in CBD. I have been beating that drum for over a year with little interest from most folks.

Afghanicus, your Parvati will probably not have much CBD. Ngapka told me that most of the Indian sativas from the Himachal Pradesh area made good charas but did not have much CBD. I have the Kerala,Parvati, Pahari farmhouse, a native N. Indian sativa from Varanasi village,Kullu jungli(wild),and Malana, as well as Punjab, Manali and Kasol. I expect better results from my Sheberghan,Mazar-i-Sharif, Pine Tar Kush, Laspur(Pakistan) and Hindu Kush #1. Raco's Paki x-18 that he got from Tom Hill is supposed to have good levels of CBD.

It is possible that some of the Russian and Czech Ruderalis will have CBD, but Ruderalis strains have much lower total cannabinoid levels.

If anyone is interested in getting some hemp strains to cross with drug strains, here is the link.

http://www.vancouverseedbank.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=120

It may be better to find a strain that produces a lot of CBD in the
vegetative leaves for continuous production of leaf material without the budding/replanting process.

You would need a method to separate the CBD from the leaf material
get it's concentrated dose.

I think there is medicinal potential in just the leaf
but of course the buds may hold other potential beneficials
that the leaf does not.

I'm checking out liquid chromatography again or company
to separate the constituents of hemp (where it's legal)

I've got a russian ruderalis dominant MTF and an Afghani Landrace that, IMO, must contain a significant percentage of CBDs simply based on the unique effect upon consumption. I've still got a number of extremely potent AND tasty SB BX3 x MVTF (Rudy pheno) left, intended for medical application. And it just so happens the Afghani Landrace donated a nut to the Rudy a few weeks back......The resulting hash from THAT flower should be truly medicinal, as I fully intend on creating the most health concious yet potent medicine of its kind.

Has there been any studies/testing done on Ortegas genetics?

E

elmanito

hey docgreen,

This is the strain i have, but i'm still waiting for answers from those guys about the CBD-content.The seeds they offer is in my eyes too expensive although it is certified.
In my opinion you can better have a good Chinese pheno with a high CBD-content with a nice smell like orange or Thai.:laughing:

picture.php

A

Afghanicus

where can you get finola seeds from? i'd be interested in obtaining some for research purposes.

entropical

Veteran
I found a link to a hemp seed vendor who carries Finola and a host of other hemp strains just the other day. Give me a PM and Ill send it on request, but be adviced they do not sell seed in packs of ten.

As for CBD, I know that GW Pharma has researched hemp strains for CBD profile:

A rich source for pure CBD individuals is some fairly resinous fibre hemp landraces from Turkey. Population avarage cannabinoid contents can be up to 4.5% (de Meijer, 1994), and individuals with contents up to 7% and CBD proportions of 95% can be selected. Hashish landraces from Afghanistan and Pakistan also form a self-evident source. Unlike marijuana strains, hashish landraces usually show segregation for chemotype and comprise individuals with pure THC, pure CBD and mixed THC/CBD profiles.

As for CBG profile, they mention a French fibre cultivar named Santhica as probably derived from an individual showing CBG purity of 97% of total cannabinoids. It would seem that GC/MS is a likely requirement for any serious breeding ventures aiming to establish profiled cannabinoid hybrids. there is no reason as to why GW pharma should have a monopoly on this type of work really, many fine breeders have produced medicinal strains long before they showed up.

E

elmanito

No thnx at all.I received some finola beans which i gonna pop in the spring.The Danish have Leb27 which probably has a high CBD and a high THC content.In their opinion this strain is not so potent probably caused by a high CBD content.In the book Hashisch from Robert Connell Clark on page 220 it says that strains from Libanon has THC/CBD ratio of 1:2.In my own opinion you can better use this Libanese strain than hemp with a low cannabinoid profile.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Elmanito, I appreciate all the info you have contributed to this thread. I have been off the boards for a while as I have to care for a disabled son, which takes up most of my time. It is difficult to find much info about CBD strains, as most breeders breed out the CBD in favor of THC for "stoners". I have collected pollen from a feral male Minnesota hemp plant and plan to cross it to my most resinous strain(Cindy 99) to get seeds that will be all BtBd genotype. Not too sure what good it would be to have CBG producers. There are several French fiber strains that are B0B0 genotype and there may possibly be Korean,Chinese and Japanese strains that produce primarily CBG.

A friend in Israel told me that many Middle eastern strains(leb, Israeli, Turk and moroccan) that are grown for hash contain mixed genotypes of BtBt,BdBd and BtBd and have high total cannabinoid content compared to hemp. These would be ideal to use in the search for a drug strain with high CBD levels. I have 2 Afghan, 3 Paki and 8 Indian/Himalayan charas strains that may contain CBD. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to grow them out and do not have the facilities to test them. Do you have any source or the Leb27 seeds? They sound like a good place to start. I had made a deal with a guy in Israel for some Middle eastern strains, but he turned out to be a crook who cheated several folks out of good strains and sent nothing in return.

Jahkaya

hello, I have some seeds from Hampekrafte.se that when grown out autoflowered.

there are four varieties on their website. anyone care to guess which are autoflowers?

USO 31
Kompolti
Epsilon 68
Futura 75

Also, why not make hash from the hemp and add that to existing high THC cannabis? would that not allow plenty of CBD to get to you?

Pops, have you considered trying to isolate the CBDs in the bud you are already making? I'm not entirely sure on the vaporization point of CBD as opposed to THC, but I would assume they are not released at both the same temperature and in the same frequency, which would lead me to believe this is possible. They use similar techniques in molecular gastronomy (scientific cooking essentially), using exact-temeprature vaporization to isolate certain flavors, textures, or other properties of the foods they're working with.

That said, your breeding efforts are a fascinating read, and I hope you are able to accomplish your goal, however it comes about.

onegreenday

Veteran
Pops, have you considered trying to isolate the CBDs in the bud you are already making? I'm not entirely sure on the vaporization point of CBD as opposed to THC, but I would assume they are not released at both the same temperature and in the same frequency, which would lead me to believe this is possible. They use similar techniques in molecular gastronomy (scientific cooking essentially), using exact-temeprature vaporization to isolate certain flavors, textures, or other properties of the foods they're working with.

That said, your breeding efforts are a fascinating read, and I hope you are able to accomplish your goal, however it comes about.

I read this on another website forum:

Well we ran some preliminary experiments on Friday at the Green Cross Soceity of B.C with the Volcano.
Dr Hornby reports these findings with a caution that they are merely pilot experiments, to find our way only.
Figure i put my foot in it by promising results, not thinking about the consequences that
the findings may bring. And now we're realizing that we may be opening up a whole new can of worms.

Firstly, we have known for some time that the Volcano does not deliver all of the THC, particularly at
the lower settings, of around 5 and 6. We know this since we use high-pressure liquid chromatography
(HPLC) to measure the amounts of the most abundant cannabinoids, that are present in the sample,
before and after vaporization. By measuring the THC, for example, left behind in the sample carcass,
we can determine the efficiency of the vaporizer setting, since we also know what we started
out with.

Since this is a study of heating cannabis we must consider a couple of things.
One is that THC, plus the other cannabinoids, are not active as they sit in nature.
For them to interact with the THC receptor, firstly they must be de-carboxylated or activated.
Meaning CO2 (EDIT: COOH group not CO2), must be kicked off the parent molecules, that in the un de-carboxylated
form are acids, chemically speaking. De-carboxylation, in this case, is accomplished by heating,
which, in turn, excites the chemical bonds of the, for example, THC molecule causing it to release
carbon dioxide at the weakest bond. This, subsequently, activates the molecule, allowing receptor interaction.

If more heat is applied to the molecule, eventually it will reach its boiling point and enter the vapor state.
De-carboxylation occurs before evaporation and over a broader range of temperatures.
And is critical for understanding cannabinoid pharmacology. Therefore in vaporization we have a two-fold
process occurring that allows the medicine to be delivered. De-carboxylation, followed by evaporation.

When we run cannabinoids by HPLC we see the acids of CBD, CBN and THC, plus trace amounts
of these already de-carboxylated cannabinoids (alcohols as they're called, chemically). We normally total the acids with the alcohols to come up with total THC, CBD or CBN for the sample.

In the experiments discussed here we vaporized a cannabis sample that had already been shown
to contain an unusually high amount of THC, with relatively high CBD.
We ran three separate experiments at Volcano settings 6, 7.5 and 9. At each test, the same
weight of cannabis was placed in the volcano and two bags vapped for the same time period.
Following vaporization, the carcass (sample left behind), for each temperature setting was analyzed
for the three most abundant cannabinoids.

We will attempt to tabulate below our experimental results.

Volcano Setting THC remaining mg/g CBN remaining mg/g CBD remaining mg/g

6 260 0.05 0.6

7.5 245 0.05 0.6

9.0 75 0.05 0.15

With all HPLC analysis there is an error window associated with the quantification. This window is normally acceptable if it has a coefficient of variation of 15% or less. This is simply a statistical evaluation of the standard deviation or variation around the mean, divided by the mean and a percent value taken.
So with THC there is often an error window of plus or minus 2% around the measurement and for CBD and CBN
this is more like plus or minus 0.05%. To convert the above results to a percent value, simply divide by 10.

So, what do we learn from these results. Nothing about decarboxylation, since it's not presented here,
although much is gained from observing the chromatography (not shown), where a one to one decrease
of the cannabinoid acid and increase in the alcohol is seen. Nevertheless, in the table we are showing only
the de-carboxylated actives that are left behind.

As stated earlier, the cannabis sample used in this experiment tested particularly high in THC,
running at 260, + or - 40 mg/gram. As shown in the table, this did not change for setting 6 on the Volcano
and changed only slightly for setting 7.5. We only see a significant decrease in THC at setting 9.
These results also confirm earlier observations.

The boiling points of the three cannabinoids measured are as follows:

THC 200 C
CBD 190 C
CBN 185 C

We can see from our before and after sample, that CBN is virtually all gone at setting 6, leaving
only residual amounts. The THC, however, all remains at this setting. As does the CBD.
At setting 7.5 the THC is fully de-carboxylated, but still present to roughly 95% of its original value.
Interestingly, at this setting the CBD is only half de-carboxylated.

At setting 9, all three are fully de-carboxylated and have moved to the vapor state.
A small amount of CBD remains as does some THC.

We can conclude from these very preliminary experiments that with the Volcano at setting
6 all the CBN is gone along with the more volatile terpenes and aromatics. Yet at this
setting, although the THC and CBD are being activated they have still not received enough heat
to enter the vapor state. In addition, at setting 7.5, similar conditions hold, with the THC still
not evaporated. It's only at setting 9 that THC receives sufficient energy to become volatile.

That's it for today. And remember these results are preliminary.
We will continue to conduct more experiments on the Volcano, next
time focusing more on what happens to the CBD and at what setting.

entropical

Veteran
No thnx at all.I received some finola beans which i gonna pop in the spring.The Danish have Leb27 which probably has a high CBD and a high THC content.In their opinion this strain is not so potent probably caused by a high CBD content.In the book Hashisch from Robert Connell Clark on page 220 it says that strains from Libanon has THC/CBD ratio of 1:2.In my own opinion you can better use this Libanese strain than hemp with a low cannabinoid profile.

Yes I agree, Leb27 seems interesting enough. A potential 1:2 THC/CBD ratio I believe would serve most medical users seeking a high CBD strain. For instance, this type of ratio could appeal to those seeking effective pain relief without strong psychoactivity as CBD may act to potentiate the analgesic effects of THC while diminishing its psychoactive effects. May I ask what are your plans for the Finola?

A

Afghanicus

ok peeps. thanks for everyone for their input so far. I hope i can find a CBD strain soon. If i haven't spread any reputation please forgive me i'm a bit slow and just worked out about the whole reputation thing now. LOL

peace all and keep the CBD hunt going.