What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical first attempt

Scrogerman

Veteran
V-Nice indeed Aero!!, Budsites galore, ill be real interested to see how these yield for you, looks like its gonna break your scales kinda styley atm. Top Job man!
Good Luck with the rest of the show! sorry if i missed it(i know i have) but what kinda Airstones/diffusers are you rollin with man? Cheers!
You got 2 of those Dual Diaphram GH Pumps, nice kit bro, id like one, they a good price for what they are, V-Cool!

Peace!

Last edited:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thanks Boom! always a pleasure to see you posts...

Hippydan, thanks, my next challenge is going to be trying to keep those buds spaced out from eachother so they get light and airflow..

Thanks MC!!

DB, I didn't count on it but it seems that a larger light over a smaller one works very well for vert in tight spaces. I think I am going to stick with this for a while. Next run may be 1k over 600w if I think I have enough room to take advantage of the extra watts in that space. I am really diggin the 2 light angles for getting light to the canopy.

Dicomaco, Thanks for stopping by...

I am also shocked how easy this is to cool. Several factors come into play. Start with ambient, I am lucky for now ambient is 62-68 (I will not be so lucky this summer).
The next factor is placement of the 300CFM centrifugal, it's right above factor #3, the floor fan, almost like an invisible cool tube.
The canopy temps closest to the bulb are about 9F above ambient because there is high air flow rushing by the bulbs. The canopy only helps this effect as it developes into a tube shape as seen in the birds eye photos. The temps elswhere in the room are about 5F above ambient.

I am just hoping these ladies finish before sumer temps kick in, looks like I am just going to make it. This next run I am going to have to up the cooling and so far Bobbles heat exchanger seems like the best option, plus he is already testing it for me lol...Thanks.

As far as DWC goes, I am forced to use hydro because I am very lousy at soil, I have tried several times and just can't maintain plants in soil near as well.

Good luck with your vert run and let me know if I can help...

Thanks Marlo for reppin my thread, I'm flattered:wave:

Last edited:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
V-Nice indeed Aero!!, Budsites galore, ill be real interested to see how these yield for you, looks like its gonna break your scales kinda styley atm. Top Job man!
Good Luck with the rest of the show! sorry if i missed it(i know i have) but what kinda Airstones/diffusers are you rollin with man? Cheers!

Peace!

Thanks Scrogerman, I am very interested to see what it yields too, so far, it looks like alot more than I would get from 1k in a flat garden.

You didn't miss much, just in time for the best part, watchin the buds juice up..

I have changed the air stones 3 times lol, don't blame you for not keeping up, I recently swapped the ceramic micro diffusers for hydro store cheapies because they were heating up the air pumps too much. I now use the 2" round by 4" long hydro shop bargain stones, 3 in each bucket.. They are working great and cheap enough to throw away each run.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Yeah right, they do the trick for sure & i know what you mean about back pressure on the pump. Roots swamping airstones will do it too(if you get me?) i found placing a dedicated fan(Clip-on or PC fans) right on the Airpumps intake, helps tremendously keeping the Pump & Res temps much cooler. check it out if you get the problem occur again ;).
A friend of mine is having success with the 5"Disc type stones(next best thing to micro pore), seem to easy flow air, he didnt get any BP. The disc stones fit those buckets like a glove.
Really loving your Rig man! shame i didnt see it earlier. Thanks for your response bro~!

Are you gonna Run Cooltubes in the Summer(mid-summer)?, seems like an easy way out & a viable summer option! Ive got a couple of CT's primed for that time of the year! I was thinking maybe using bigger wattage lamps to make up for the glass filtration of light from the CT's, 2 x 1000w maybe. Should equalise shit some.
Loving Bobble's heat exchanger/cooler! Very cool stuff! might use a similar idea myself.

Peace!

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I always thought round soaker-hose would make a good air diffuser. It could be fashioned into a circle or even a spiral at the bottom of the bucket. It would be a matter of capping or joining the open ends and adding a male air nipple, plus a strong anti-siphon to the air line.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Ive used the bendy/flexible bubble snake rubber wands you see in aquarium stores(24"), they do the job, but the disc stones do give a smaller bubble size, so im sorta sold on them. Nice idea though DB! it would certainly work!

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I want to try those discs, I did start out with the 48" bendy snake bubblers all coiled up in the buckets but they didn't flow enough air..

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
man thanks again for posting all your info aero...I've looked through your thread several times trying to figure out my new setup and you been a much bigger help then you realize.

I have 2 of those airpumps you're using on order..I'm all about the quiet growroom :) that's part of my goal....to have a nice peaceful area for me and my ladies.

Scrogerman

Veteran
Wow man, Nice root ball goin on, exactly what i mean about roots swamping airstones, how cool running are the Dual Diaphram Pumps(to touch)? are they quite running too?

Looks real healthy man! G'Luck!

hippydan

how cool running are the Dual Diaphram Pumps(to touch)? are they quite running too?

I've owned two of these, and being an avid aquarium goer, I would definitely recommend the GH dual diaphragm air pumps. Very quiet, the air bubbles moving the water make much more noise than the pump itself, slightly warm to the touch, definitely not hot by any means. A little expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. The only thing is if the pump DOES fail, it's only one pump. Nothing wrong with having a backup. You can get cheap replacement diaphragms though.

Aero, those roots are frigging SICK! I love it! Was hoping you'd give us an update, and you did not disappoint!

Scrogerman

Veteran
I've owned two of these, and being an avid aquarium goer, I would definitely recommend the GH dual diaphragm air pumps. Very quiet, the air bubbles moving the water make much more noise than the pump itself, slightly warm to the touch, definitely not hot by any means. A little expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. The only thing is if the pump DOES fail, it's only one pump. Nothing wrong with having a backup. You can get cheap replacement diaphragms though.

Aero, those roots are frigging SICK! I love it! Was hoping you'd give us an update, and you did not disappoint!

Yeah man, they are 20lpm iirc, ive run 70lpm compressors that get hot once the airstones get swammped by roots(see above pic), i was wondering if the dual D's run cooler once this swamping of the airstones happens(as the buckets fill with roots etc-causing back pressure), ive found placement of a dedicated fan on the pumps air intake a simple fix, stops any warm/hot air blowing in your res, works a treat, just wondering if the same thing happens with the dual D's like it does with other pumps. MEDO pumps have my attention, top notch performance wise. Im still looking at the GH/DD's as they are way cheaper than the MEDO's.

Cheers all!

hippydan

i was wondering if the dual D's run cooler once this swamping of the airstones happens

Oh. I see what you meant now, sorry I misunderstood! I'm looking forward to Aero's answer now as well.

edit: You could always leave one of the valves on the manifold semi-open without an airline on it to reduce backpressure. Maybe not the most efficient thing in the world, but definitely viable.

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Aero,

Beautiful garden. You're killing it with such a small area.

One question and please forgive me, because I know you must have answered it already.

Did you top, supercrop or do any other training method during veg or did they branches just grow out towards the light?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am also shocked how easy this is to cool. Several factors come into play. Start with ambient, I am lucky for now ambient is 62-68 (I will not be so lucky this summer).
The next factor is placement of the 300CFM centrifugal, it's right above factor #3, the floor fan, almost like an invisible cool tube.
The canopy temps closest to the bulb are about 9F above ambient because there is high air flow rushing by the bulbs. The canopy only helps this effect as it developes into a tube shape as seen in the birds eye photos. The temps elswhere in the room are about 5F above ambient.

Had to bump this, just in case anybody was only looking at the great pics. You said a mouthful right there bro. Worth repeating every time someone says it.

Marlo, reppin the Anti Cool Tube Crew! Where you at Spaghetti!?!? :wave:

bobblehead

Veteran
lol... yeah, I'm creating a wind tunnel for my coliseums from now on. Fans at the bottom and top of the light stacks.I don't need to plug another picture, it's in my 1800w thread... :D Genius.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Wow man, Nice root ball goin on, exactly what i mean about roots swamping airstones, how cool running are the Dual Diaphram Pumps(to touch)? are they quite running too?

Looks real healthy man! G'Luck!

The air pumps are very cool running, almost feel cold to the touch. These are the quietest pumps I have ever had, can't say enough good things about them.

The only time the pumps got a little warm to the touch was with the ceramic micro pore stones.

One question and please forgive me, because I know you must have answered it already.

Did you top, supercrop or do any other training method during veg or did they branches just grow out towards the light?

VP, Thanks for the kind words, I did top these ladies and I wish I didn't. I was not thinking at the time, just did it out of habit and they got a little too bushy. Anyway, I don't think it hurt me too much but I could have used a little more height.